Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 21 Oct 2017, 22:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
re: Min browser
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 07:47    Post subject: min browser
Subject description: my 2 cents

Just my 2 cents on Min:

I used it during my final year uni project .. Even from a web dev point of view it behaves almost exactly the same as Chrome - it includes the same Dev Tools and seems to be pretty much the same rendering engine (meaning same browser features - HTML5, CSS3, File API, JS ES5, Canvas, etc) ..

Performance is very good.

The UI is not great, but can be gotten used to.

Overall, it is a good, smaller alternative to Chrome (if you can put up with the strange UI).

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 08:03    Post subject:  

Hi, sc0ttman.

P'raps you can fill in some of the 'gaps' for the rest of us!

Did you ever figure out how you 'bookmark' anything? And, er, is there any way at all to step backwards & forwards through pages? Everything seems to work through the 'List' page (kinda like a 'History' page?)

Basic stuff like that, y'know? Laughing

Mike. Wink

Keef

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 08:50    Post subject:  

The CTRL key is the modifier, so ctrl + left or right arrow will take you through pages.
ctrl + TAB amazingly enough takes you to the next tab.
ctrl + d saves a bookmark, but I still don't know how to find it afterwards.
Hitting ALT brings up the menu toolbar, so click on help to get to the shortcuts page (or look at Edit > Preferences).
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 18:14    Post subject:  

Hi, Keef.

Thanks for the info, old son. I'll have another look at Min, now!

I'm going to put together a 32-bit SFS for this. I think it's worth persevering with.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jul 2017, 19:13    Post subject:  

Hi again, all.

32-bit SFS package now available. Link as below:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3g7zmsxb8drhbvc/Min-1.6.0-i386.sfs

@Keef:-

It appears that whatever you bookmark, appears in the 'Task List' that shows up when you hit the 'hamburger' Menu symbol, at the the far right end of the Tabs bar. I've bookmarked a few of my regular sites, and it seems this is where they go to. So, I'm guessing the list could grow to quite sizeable proportions after a while.....

Still haven't discovered a way to import bookmarks. It's early days yet, though; this may well get added to a later release. We shall see.

Posting this from Min in Slacko 560. Give it a try.

Edit:- Curiouser & curiouser. Seems that what shows in the 'Task List' is whatever tabs you happen to have open at the point when you click on the hamburger. Click on 'New Task' at the bottom, and you can create another list of whatever tabs are open when you click on it. A wee bit awkward initially, but it's got definite possiblities! You can go to whichever 'Task' set of tabs you want simply by clicking on any URL within that Task.

So; it would appear that you can set up your 'bookmarks' in groups of similar sites. Nifty. And, er; I don't think you need to use 'Ctrl + d', either. Whatever is open when you click on 'New Task' simply gets added to as you open further sites. Boy, this is gonna take some getting used to.....

And Min does remember these Task 'groups' of tabs between one session and the next. Not yet sure as I'd trust it for banking, mind you ..!!

Very definitely worth persevering with, though.

Mike. Wink

greengeek

PostPosted: Fri 15 Sep 2017, 15:19    Post subject:  

Hi Mike, thanks for the sfs. Trialling it now on a Slacko 5.6 derivative. So far I have a problem where it won't let me browse youtube as it says "can't connect securely to this site" but I suspect this could be related to the oddball state of openssl in my pup. (just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is having the same problem).

One of the features I most need in a browser is the ability to "print to file" to create pdfs from webpages and Min seems really good at this in my testing so far.

Looks like being a very useful browser.
deltacat

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 12:31    Post subject:  

I'm using Min to post this and am having the same problem as you Greengeek with YouTube, but only on some Puplets.

Min works flawlessly on Slackopuppy 6.3.2 which is installed to the harddrive on one of my netbooks. Everything works and the performance is really snappy and it loads YouTube pages and plays the video without any problem whatsoever. It's performance is also good with Unicornpup V6 and Shiba Inu 1.1.3 which I both boot from a flashdrive, apart from it's unwillingness to load YouTube.

I'm very much a novice with Puppy, so if anyone could shed any light on this, it would be appreciated.
quirkian2new

PostPosted: Thu 28 Sep 2017, 10:24    Post subject:  

seems new 1.6.2 recently released. Anyone is tracking this interesting browser ?

Any improvement over the awkard ui in 1.6.0 ?
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: