re: Min browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qstbgo9rm6fn4 ... 4.sfs?dl=1
Ok but this does not have the libstdc++ update to 1.0.17 (i used debian)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rauh3t3cfqjk1 ... ar.gz?dl=1

which I already did to my lucid build...I need to merge this to make a complete vanilla lucid update. Note glibc is left untouched...min does not need it.
Might make sense to make a pet of it.
Again other software may benefit.

Also note standard puppies will not load this sfs above the main system so will fail to overlay older libs.

I basically compiled the contents from source....also added gconf as i removed it but will do no harm.

Also note.... it uses some mozilla libraries (seamonkey 2.40 worked for me for example)...if you still get errors a newer browser needed...again merging the libs might make sense for this package as they are not large...a work in progress.

mike

mikeslr

Min Bookmarks -- sort of

#32 Post by mikeslr »

Hi MIke &All,

Running the Min AppImage under Xenialpup64.

Well, AFAICT, after some googling Min doesn't have a mechanism for importing or exporting bookmarks. But, and unless I've gotten it all wrong:

That 5-pointed star on the right of the Taskbar highlights the current url. With the current url highlighted Clicking File on the Taskbar offers the option to "Save Page As". Selecting that opens a file-browser enabling you to choose where. I remember something about "for 30 days" after which who knows what will happen. But in the meantime, the View option on the Menu has a choice called "Reading List". Maybe that's how you accessed the things you've saved.

While surfing, a history of where you've been is kept and can be reached by clicking the 3-Horizontal-Lines Icon at the Top Far Right which opens a scrollable list.

I haven't searched further. Maybe there's an addon or someone can build one. As others have mentioned Min is fast. It also have the advantage of working like those browsers I'm familiar with under Android phones and tablets; so if you're coming from those contraptions you've got no learning curve. Unfortunately, built into the design of applications for those contraption is that in about a year you'll fill up your limited storage space and and have to buy a new phone/tablet or die.

Now 76, I have this suspicion that "If the God Lord is willing and the Creek don't rise" my EOL exceeds that and I prefer Toys which share similar prospects. I have no reason to believe that 30 days is a meaningful limit.

Of course, new computers coming with Terabytes of storage space, storing webpages as opposed to merely a way to access them doesn't pose a problem. But "old-fashioned" Browsers always had the ability to save webpages/print-as-pdf if the user wanted. So it seems to me that although the creators of Min had a good idea, they thereafter suffered from tunnel-vision.

Until Min overcomes that flaw, it will remain just a curiosity I'll visit from time to time to see if it has.

mikesLr

P.S. Jury-rigged Bookmarks: Cut&Paste url into and from textfile/database/html-file/whatever. Still PITA.

jrb

#33 Post by jrb »

I have to say I was very confused in the Tour when it told me to go to Edit > Preferences on the Taskbar.:? What Taskbar? I tried the keyboard shortcuts I know, alt+f etc. and nothing worked. Finally I went to the white band across the top and clicked under "Min", and voila, the File menu opened. Sweeping to the right gave me the other menus. Just have to guess which one you're on.
Attachments
MinBrowser-FileMenu1.jpg
(42.13 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Last edited by jrb on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 16:07, edited 2 times in total.

Terry H

#34 Post by Terry H »

jrb wrote:I have to say I was very confused in the Tour when it told me to go to Edit > Preferences on the Taskbar.:? What Taskbar? I tried the keyboard shortcuts I know, alt+f etc. and nothing worked. Finally I went to the white band across the top and clicked under "Min", and voila, the File menu opened. Sweeping to the right gave me the other menus. Just have to guess which one your on.
Thanks jrb, this was driving me crazy, had the same problem. I originally d/l'd from min site. I'd clicked and right clicked everywhere but that spot, couldn't find anything.

I uninstalled and reinstalled mike's 32-bit sfs to check if it was any different, but still got the same results. Now I can at least look at changing the preferences to check it out better.

Thanks Mike for creating the sfs's.

jrb

#35 Post by jrb »

re:Bookmarks

So far all I've found is this: If you bookmark a page, ctrl+d, then you can click on any open tab, type in part of the bookmarked pages name and it will bring it up. This is the Search procedure and it apparently searchs bookmarks first before going online. Seems workable, different but workable.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

jrb wrote:re:Bookmarks

So far all I've found is this: If you bookmark a page, ctrl+d, then you can click on any open tab, type in part of the bookmarked pages name and it will bring it up. This is the Search procedure and it apparently searchs bookmarks first before going online. Seems workable, different but workable.
Mm. Yah, I reckon that sounds like this thing they're referring to as 'Fuzzy Search'. But it still involves extra key-strokes which in other browsers only needs at most one or two clicks...

I guess it could be 'gotten used to', given time....but like the proverbial old dog, I don't really want to be learning those kinds of tricks. It could get really confusing switching back & forth from Chrome/Firefox to this, then back again....

I reckon I'm with Mikeslr on this one. Until/unless the devs come up with a slightly more workable system, for me it, too, will remain in the category of 'curiosity'. But it is fast; in some ways, bits of it remind me of Vivaldi....

Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#37 Post by mikeb »

On the min site it says you can type in !bookmarks to show them but not working for me.
Apparently 1.8 will have a bookmarks button.

It is the chrome engine but with a very simple javascript wrapper, which can be infinity customised should you so wish.
For me its chrome without the crud for those nasty google/chrome only sites. reminds me of the days of IE only web pages.

Anyway to round off my contribution I noticed the min on the dev site needs later glibc/libstdc++/gtk3 but the build posted earlier here does not.
So here it is for 1.7 but moved to /usr/lib and with those needed mozilla libs (aw the irony lol) so it can exist as the only browser say for a kiosk.

Also updated the lucid update to included libstdc++_6.0.17.

The pair give you a running setup for Lucid.

I also seem to have the user interface cut off but minimising then maximising from the taskbar sorts it out.

Ok files

Min 1.7
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tpklhgj06roo ... 4.sfs?dl=1

Library updates for Lucid
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qstbgo9rm6fn4 ... 4.sfs?dl=1

remember the latter wont work with standard puppy sfs handling as it need to hide existing symlinks.

mike

hmm wonder if it will work on pentium 3.....
Last edited by mikeb on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

#38 Post by jrb »

mikeb wrote:On the min site it says you can type in !bookmarks to show them but not working for me.
Apparently 1.8 will have a bookmarks button.
Hey, good one mike!

I just created a new tab, ctrl+t, typed in !bookmarks and clicked Search bookmarks and there they were ready to choose from. I'm starting to like this. :D
Attachments
min-bookmarks1.jpg
(9.09 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
min-bookmarks2.jpg
(17.61 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Mike.

I don't know what your Dropbox link for the library updates is doing, but here it got up to over 200 MB+ before I decided something wasn't right, and cancelled? :shock:

It was downloading something called 'Public.zip'.....

T'other Mike. :wink:

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

I just created a new tab, ctrl+t, typed in !bookmarks and clicked Search bookmarks and there they were ready to choose from. I'm starting to like this.
ah nice one... one top tip for using bookmarks only squirrels knew about......

I don't know what your Dropbox link for the library updates is doing, but here it got up to over 200 MB+ before I decided something wasn't right, and cancelled? Shocked
Hmm one upon a time dropbox had a public folder which was the only way to hand out direct links.
Since they removed that system, generation of links is erratic for anything in that folder it seems....and I am using THEIR api to generate it...it gives two results...one may not work...quality software eh. Before it was defaulting to a zip of 3GB of files....yo dropbox.

Amended working link above.

mike

quirkian2new

#41 Post by quirkian2new »

Min browser is really fast !

I exported my google-chrome bookmarks to a html file and then use this html file as the opening page of Min browser. When i want to open a link, i open it in a new tab.

Does anyone know how to set a default(global) zoom ratio so that each new tab opened be default to 200% ?

BTW, is Wavebox and Min browser the same developer ? Wavebox can also display webpages but with netvigation button. But Wavebox's adblock function seems to be weak when surfing webpages.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&t=111326

thanks

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

Dont know of a zoom answer but configs are in /root/.config/min... you might find something there or try posting or searching on the github support forum for min.

There is also a resources folder in the min folder...it needs it to run but some of it I am guessing is only for compiling. You might find something there.

Not a beastie I fancy compiling.... mins code is simple but the browser engine is huge. The dev does say feel free to customise in the spirit of open source.

mike

ps slightly off topic but the new dropbox apis create a link for EVERY parent folder of a file and post them in random order along with the wanted link which was the source of my previous faulty posts.... apologies for any confusion caused...my web script is now fixed.

mikeb

#43 Post by mikeb »

This is being a great stubborn site browser to have on standby.

Only thing is, is there a way to prevent caching...it soon build up though the contents can be deleted while keeping bookmarks and settings?

Also the build I have is different to the one from the min website...who build it...seems like debian squeeze or similar was the target...

mike

jrb

#44 Post by jrb »

mikeb wrote:This is being a great stubborn site browser to have on standby.

Only thing is, is there a way to prevent caching...it soon build up though the contents can be deleted while keeping bookmarks and settings?

Also the build I have is different to the one from the min website...who build it...seems like debian squeeze or similar was the target...

mike
Archwiki's Chromium website gives a startup command to place Cache in /tmp/cache but it didn't seem to work in Min. So I moved /root/.config/Min/Cache to /tmp/Cache and then symlinked back to /root/.config/Min/Cache. Seems to work OK.
I've created a startup script, /usr/bin/min

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
mkdir /tmp/Cache > /dev/null 2>&1
rm -fr /root/.config/Min/Cache
ln -s /tmp/Cache /root/.config/Min/Cache > /dev/null 2>&1
/opt/min/min 
Which does all that and seems to work. Just did it so testing is minimal. Might be worth a go.

Cheers, J

mikeb

#45 Post by mikeb »

Okies.... or otherwise I considered a miniscript to delete contents of cache and the other database that fills up at shutdown (or no save for my pups).

Thanks for the info....I am unfamiliar with chrome's hidden settings and it seems generally cache is one thing they don't like users disabling for some reason so wondered if there was some option hidden away,

mike

orrin

#46 Post by orrin »

Min will not run in my Slacko 64-6.3.2
Last edited by orrin on Thu 25 Oct 2018, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

mikeb

#47 Post by mikeb »

Sounds like it wants an older or newer gtk.
The build from the min website wants newer gtk than one of the builds on here.

Suggestion...try a different build of min

I got it to run on lucid but that did require a gtk update.
... gtk 2400 ... but the min website build wanted newer than that.

mike

peebee

#48 Post by peebee »

The latest version needs GTK+3.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

orrin

#49 Post by orrin »

peebee wrote:The latest version needs GTK+3.....
I have GTK+3-3.8.2 installed!
This is the same error I get with any chrome-based browser later than
version 59
[color=#FF0000]Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster[/color]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/fL9MypfV/sig-image.png[/img]

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

The sfs I got from this thread of 1.7 was compiled to use gtk 2 so I assume its a build option though I used the 32 bit version I see no reason the 64 bit could not after all it will have exactly the same interface function calls.

mike