Comodo AV for Linux

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
Mike Walsh

Comodo AV for Linux

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

I know you don't need AV in Linux.....unless you want to make sure you're not sending infected files to Windoze users (or passing them on).

Well, that's what I use Comodo's AV for Linux for. I used their Firewall for many years in XP, and was very satisfied with it. Others may wish to make the same use of this package, so I've turned the .deb package into an SFS, with adjusted permissions.

You can set it to scan single files and/or directories, which is handy if you don't want, or need, to run a full scan.

Personally, I run a single instance from a remote partition, sym-linked into my Pups at the appropriate places. There are two libs required for the GUI stuff to work correctly; libpam.so, and libaudit.so; these have been included in the package. This is the 32-bit version, which works well. The 64-bit version is a wee bit more problematic.....so I'm not providing that, I'm afraid. Haven't yet figured out what's going on with it, but I just can't get the signature database to download.

Here's the link for the 32-bit SFS package, at my MediaFire a/c:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/a9e5s5258 ... x-i386.sfs

Hope y'all find it useful.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#2 Post by keniv »

Hello Mike,
Have just downloaded and tried COMODO in the latest version of Lucid 5287. Does not start from menu. below is the output from running in a terminal.

Code: Select all

# /opt/COMODO/cav
/opt/COMODO/cav: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
# 
pFind shows this file in /usr/locall/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.4-Comodo/lib/libQtDBus.so.4.7.4. Is this the file COMODO is looking for?

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Ken.

No, I don't think it is. Try this Qt4 SFS package from my MediaFire a/c; I have this loaded in most of my Pups, so it never occurred to me that this error might come up.....simply because for me it's always there anyway.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/11p5fsrgp ... _5.6.1.sfs

Let me know if that helps at all. As you're doubtless aware, starting from the terminal is always advisable with newly-installed stuff; gives you some feedback as to what's going on! :)

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

I tried your Comodo sfs [back when you provided it], and it wouldn't run [like keniv reported]...
But then you supplied the qt sfs...
So I loaded both of those, and The Comodo appeared to scan [my XP plus associated files] just fine. :D
Found a couple of "threats" among my old Windows [2000, XP] "portable programs".
I never use them anyway, so I deleted the problem programs->[the top folder and all contents][using Xfe].
Then re-scanned, and no threats were reported.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sylvander.

Mm. Like I said, I have that Qt stuff loaded in my Pups permanently (it's needed by a bunch of other stuff), so the original reported problem just never showed up for me. I believed those two libs (libpam.so & libaudit.so) to be the only dependencies needed.....and those were tracked down with some detective work, and the help of the terminal.

Anyway, glad to hear it's functioning as it should.

keniv

#6 Post by keniv »

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the Qt sfs. I have loaded it together with the Comodo sfs but again it would not run from the menu. Here is what I got when running in a terminal.

# /opt/COMODO/cav
/opt/COMODO/cav: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4)
/opt/COMODO/cav: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/libQtNetwork.so.4)
/opt/COMODO/cav: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required by /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4)
# 
I also tried in Racy 5.5 but got the same output from running terminal as I did with Lucid.
In the last post yuo mention libpam.so & libaudit.so. Do I also have to install these?

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hm!

No, your problem won't be to do with the libs, I'm afraid, Ken. Those are included with the SFS anyway.

The problem (with both Lucid and Racy) is that they're using a version of the General 'C' library ( the 'glibc' that you may have come across in various places in the forum) that is considered dinosaur-era by modern standards; 2.11.

Tahrpup uses 2.19, and the newer Xenialpup is up to 2.23.....and you can't upgrade the glibc, 'cos your entire Pup's built around it. You do that, and Pup's back will snap in half...!!!

I didn't realise you were one of Richard's 'stalwarts', still keeping Lucid going . Might be time to consider a newer Pup, y'know.....

I do run a copy of it myself, but I don't tend to use it that much (can't run modern browsers, for one thing - except perhaps PaleMoon - and I've never been a Mozilla fan, I'm sorry to say. Much prefer Chrome/Chromium.) I installed it, really, to help someone else out with a few queries (TwoPuppies, I think it was), and.....it's just kinda 'hung around' ever since. Don't get me wrong - it's bloody fast! - but it's the browser angle that kills it for me.

But that's going to be the root of the problem, I'm sorry to have to say.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is one other thing you could try. I also run Racy 5.5; I've played around with it over the last coupla years, but only buckled down to installing and setting it up properly around 6 months ago.

Battleshooter produced a 'glibc upgrade' package for Racy/Carolina, for folks that wanted to use more modern versions of Chrome or Chromium. I've used it myself, with excellent results; I have the very last 32-bit version of Linux Chrome (48.0.2564.116) running on there, along with a recent version of SlimJet.....my favourite Chrome 'replacement'. :D

I've no idea if it would enable you to use COMODO on there, but if you want to give it a go, here's the link:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=806989

Let me know how you get on, if you decide to try it. I'd be genuinely interested to know what happens. :)

Netwrench

Comodo installed on Slacko 6.3

#8 Post by Netwrench »

I was able to get this package installed on Slacko Puppy 6.3. It wouldn't load the services and told me to run cavdiagnostic. This found it requires a kernel module "rditrs.ko" (see attached image), and to run post_setup.sh script to install it. When looking through the script, it appears there is online registration with a packet of info that gets sent to the Comodo mother ship as part of the kernel config fix script.
Once I'm finished looking through the script again, I'll bite the bullet and register, but everything looks good so far as I can tell.

Thanks Mike, it's cool to see some security tools. Once I get off me arse, I'll report back.

BTW, I'm running Iron (great 32 bit Chrome variant) since some websites I used didn't like the age of the last Chrome (46) due to security issues. I copied my bookmarks over after an easy install and it smokes on my P4. I have 14 tabs open right now, plus Openoffice and some urxvt windows (I like checking my video card temp via sensors, I found out my fan had died that way). This puppy rocks!
Attachments
ComodoEULA-Script_2017-07-16_21.34.35.png
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 671 times

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Netwrench.

I'm pretty sure I know why the 'redirfs.ko' module won't compile. Because in order to do so, you're going to need the dev_x and kernel_sources SFS packages for your Pup's kernel loaded. In my case, this is going to mean re-compiling it 10 times; once for every Puppy in my kennels...

(*sigh*)

If I ever get off my arse, I'll get around to trying this on at least a couple of my most commonly-used Pups, since I run this (as so much other stuff) from a common, remote data partition, sym-linked into each Pup where it'll expect to find it.

This would appear to be necessary for the main GUI to function as it should. The 'standalone scan', however, functions without all this.

I'll try this at some point, and report back. BTW, when you're scrolling through the agreement for the module stuff, there's a hell of a lot of it.....but you've got to go carefully, or you'll miss where you get to the (Y/N) qualifier for where the process actually starts...

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 19 Jul 2017, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.

keniv

#10 Post by keniv »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your help with this. The link from the forum thread you linked to to get glibc-2.20.pet no longer seems to exist. I have searched both the Racy PPM and the web but can't find another link to this pet. I know both Lucid and Racy are now old pups but I'm using them on an old Toshiba laptop with 800MHz and 320MB and they both run well on this. As you'll know newer pups don't. You are right about browsers as well. I use Qt Web or older versions of Opera. I am looking for an antivirus as I sometimes use usb drives that have come from windows machines. I used clamav but have not been able to get it to update for some time.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Ken.

Ah, sorry about that. My bad.

The 'glibc' stuff has all been moved to Russoodle's 'PuppyLinuxStuff' site. Robert123 stated near the end of that thread that the original links were down. I'd forgotten. Sorry!

Look here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 291#909291

If you follow the link as shown in that post, you'll find everything there. Make sure you cross-check the file names from the original post with the ones on Russoodle's site before you download; there's a lot of stuff there!

Keep me posted, please.

keniv

#12 Post by keniv »

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the new link which worked perfectly. I have only installed glibc-2.20.pet so far. Comodo now boots from the menu but I can't update it. I tried what's shown below in a terminal.

# /opt/COMODO/cavupdater
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
I get the same if I run /opt/COMODO/cav in a terminal
I'm tempted to try the other updates listed anyway. Is there any reason not to do this?

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#13 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Ken.

Mm. Y'know, you may be onto a 'dependency chase' if you're planning to persevere with this..!

I'm going to make a suggestion here. To find some of these missing libs, etc., download the ISO of Precise 5.7.1 (it's the same kinda vintage as Racy 5.5, 'cept with a rather newer kernel and glibc, of course), and mount the ISO (by clicking on it), followed by clicking on the Precise_571 SFS, to allow access to the file system.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.7.1/

You can then check in /lib/ and /usr/lib to see if you can find the missing libs. 'libicui18n' kinda sounds familiar, somehow...

Let me know if that helps.

Mike.

keniv

#14 Post by keniv »

Hello Mike,
I downloaded Precise 571 from your link. I have made a manual frugal install as I had not tried it before and from what you said I thought it might work on my hardware which it does. However, it does not seem to contain libicui18n. I've both mounted the sfs and searched it and I've searched my install of Precise with pFind but to no avail. I also tried running the the comodo and qt sfs in Precise but I get the same output from a terminal as I do in Wary. I think this looks like the end on this one. Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#15 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hold on, hoss. Hang about. I don't give up that easy, y'know!

Try with the three libs in the link below (libicui18n.so, libicui18n.so.51, and libicui18n.so.51.2). These want to go into /usr/lib, and are all sym-linked together.

I knew I had them in Precise, but that's because I've had to install 'em to get Chromium 36 running on there, so..... No, they wouldn't have been part of the original install.

Install these, then let me know what terminal output you get. If necessary, I'll see what else I can dig up for you. I think these depend on a few others, but let me know what happens, please.

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/1c8f186a

keniv

#16 Post by keniv »

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the "special" set of files. I placed the in /usr/lib. However, I still get the same output from a terminal. I also tried them in /lib but this gave the same result. I don't think the sys link is working. I tried this.

/usr/bin/icui18n
bash: /usr/bin/icui18n: No such file or directory
I assume if the link was working properly I would not get "No such file or directory". Could it be that libicui18n.so.51.2 is not back compatible. If I hover the mouse pointer over the two files that are sys linked it shows them to be sys linked to so I am assuming that that part part is working. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

For 64bit Puppies, maybe. :idea:
Use the deb package of Comodo.

I got the 64bit version of Comodo working on Xenialpup64 7.0.8.5.

I used the 64bit deb package from Comodo web site.
https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-se ... -linux.php

Downloaded the deb package.
Clicked on it to install.
It does not make menu entries.
The Comodo files are in /opt/COMODO

To start and get it setup to run.
In /opt/COMODO
Click on cmdagent
This does some needed setup of Comodo.

To run Comodo
In /opt/COMODO
Click on cav

Update virus database.

Set up a scan profile or use basically the profile that scans everything on the computer.
I made a scan profile to just scan the Puppy I am running.

Only thing I have not yet figured out, is getting the Run Diagnostics, to be happy, and not find anything to fix.

I did get a scan to work OK or so it says it did.

Mike Walsh,
Maybe some of this info will give you ideas on what to do to get a working SFS package of 64bit Comodo.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#18 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Mike Walsh,
Maybe some of this info will give you ideas on what to do to get a working SFS package of 64bit Comodo.
Hallo, bigpup.

Indeed. I've been mulling it over, and while I do have a couple of ideas kicking around at the back of my (admittedly) thick skull, I rather think the problem boils down to the 'redirfs.ko' module not being present.

I'm pretty certain the devx and kernel sources will need to be present & loaded while the script is being run. I can't see a way that the new module can be created otherwise.

I shall be giving this a try in Tahr64 6.0.5 at some point over the weekend. I'll post back with results, whatever the outcome.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

keniv wrote:Hello Mike,
Thanks for the "special" set of files. I placed the in /usr/lib. However, I still get the same output from a terminal. I also tried them in /lib but this gave the same result. I don't think the sys link is working. I tried this.

/usr/bin/icui18n
bash: /usr/bin/icui18n: No such file or directory
I assume if the link was working properly I would not get "No such file or directory". Could it be that libicui18n.so.51.2 is not back compatible. If I hover the mouse pointer over the two files that are sys linked it shows them to be sys linked to so I am assuming that that part part is working. Hope this helps.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold on there a mo.....

Why are you running

/usr/bin
...on a set of shared dynamic libraries? These are files that provide functionality to other packages; they're not binaries that will run on their own.

I don't quite follow the thinking behind that. Put those libs into /usr/lib, yes.....by all means. That's what you should do with 'em. Then, run

/opt/COMODO/cav
...in the terminal again, and copy/paste the output back here, please. I want to see what the system's saying at this point in the proceedings.

OK?

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hallo, bigpup.

Indeed. I've been mulling it over, and while I do have a couple of ideas kicking around at the back of my (admittedly) thick skull, I rather think the problem boils down to the 'redirfs.ko' module not being present.

I'm pretty certain the devx and kernel sources will need to be present & loaded while the script is being run. I can't see a way that the new module can be created otherwise.

When trying to get the Run Diagnostics, to be happy, and not find anything to fix.
In correcting one of the problems it did say something about needing make and stuff that looked like programs you find in the DEVX.
Also, a specific kernel module.
I loaded the DEVX and kernel sources.
It was happy now and fixed one of the problems.

However, the stuff identified in Run Diagnostics to fix, did not keep Comodo from doing a scan.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)