Comodo AV for Linux

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

What version of Comodo?

What does it say for the date the virus database (signatures) were last updated?
Attachments
capture24134.png
(48.34 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#32 Post by bigpup »

entered already.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Gordie

#33 Post by Gordie »

Thanks but it looks like a Slackware problem. Not a fun program.
I was under the impression that it would be the same for me as for others but it turns out that the OS makes all the difference
Have a sore head from banging it on the wall. It appears that in order to run /opt/COMODO/cav Slackware64 needs a 32-bit library from PAM, something that is foreign to Slackware64 on both counts. I am able to use my browser to get new sigs and then update my database by hand and can use COMODO to scan so all is not lost but this is disappointing to me. Later this evening I am tempted to copy the library (libpam.so.0) from Puppy and use it to get cav working as it should.

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how things go

Mike Walsh

#34 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Gordie.

Yes, libpam is one of two libs required for the GUI to work properly. At least, that's what I found.

I don't know if you're running 32- or 64-bit, but to save you the trouble, here's both 32- and 64-bit versions of both libpam.so (with symlink) and libaudit.so (with sym-link).

Just unpack 'em and place the ones you need into /lib (not /usr/lib). That should do the trick. Whether these are the newest versions I have no idea, but Comodo works with 'em.

Keep us posted, please.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
Libs.tar.bz2
Missing libs for Comodo 'AV for Linux' GUI
(99.08 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

Gordie

#35 Post by Gordie »

Thank you Mike Walsh. Those libs were the ticket to making cav run.
Had to run

Code: Select all

/opt/COMODO/post_setup.sh
again for something like the 3rd time. Hope this time the changes stick. Then had to play for a long time to make the following command work.

"/etc/init.d/cmdavd restart"
is exactly what the popdown msg says. Beat head on wall more and more. FINALLY find out that the command that actually works is

"/etc/init.d/cmdavd" restart
Now every time I try to update I have to run cmdagent only to find that trying to update shuts cmdagent down again and things just grind to a halt.

At least I am further along the process of running COMODO than I have ever been before.

Thank you Mike for the libs. They are a Godsend

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Gordie.
Gordie wrote:I am able to use my browser to get new sigs and then update my database by hand and can use COMODO to scan so all is not lost but this is disappointing to me.
Now, then; if you can do that, it might be possible to write a script to automate that process instead.....if the built-in one is refusing to behave itself.

Can you expand on how you do that, please?

Cheers.

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Y'know, this is weird.

Most of the time, I can't get the virus database to update at all. But, just occasionally, it'll behave itself, and update as it's supposed to.

A lot of the time, I'll be honest, I'm trying random combinations of restarts, etc. I haven't yet quite figured out which combination is doing the trick!

I'll keep plugging away at this. We will get this working the way it's supposed to.....especially since Comodo is the only one that I have any real faith in.

(*Back to the grindstone..!*)

-----------------------------------------

Edit:- BTW, I had a go at running post_setup.sh over the weekend, with both the dev_x & kernel sources packages loaded.....and it didn't make a scrap of difference. The 'redirfs.ko' module still wasn't being created...so I don't know what's going on there.

bigpup

#38 Post by bigpup »

is exactly what the popdown msg says. Beat head on wall more and more. FINALLY find out that the command that actually works is
Code:
"/etc/init.d/cmdavd" restart

Now every time I try to update I have to run cmdagent only to find that trying to update shuts cmdagent down again and things just grind to a halt.
Do not do "/etc/init.d/cmdavd" restart

Just do this:
Start Comodo
In Rox navigate to /opt/COMODO
left click on the cmdagent file
Go back to Comodo
Click on Update virus database

That works for me.

The "/etc/init.d/cmdavd" restart is running a script file that controls cmdagent.

THE SCRIPT FILES IN COMODO, DO NOT WANT TO WOK CORRECTLY IN PUPPY!!!!
SO DO NOT USE THEM!!!

JJust directly click on the exec file in rox.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#39 Post by bigpup »

THE SCRIPT FILES IN COMODO, DO NOT WANT TO WOK CORRECTLY IN PUPPY!!!!
SO DO NOT USE THEM!!!

They need /etc/init.d/functions.

Puppy does not have the functions file.

This is what functions is:
https://bash.cyberciti.biz/guide//etc/init.d/functions

Not sure if we want this in Puppy or it needs to be a symbolic link to something in Puppy.?

Note:
post_setup.sh

This script seems to run, but not sure if it is working correctly.
It does not seem to need /etc/init.d/functions.
I can only run it in a terminal, but it looks like it needs to run in a window, where there will be buttons to click yes or no.

All the other scripts refuse to run, stopping with a message they cannot find /etc/init.d/functions.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Sylvander

#40 Post by Sylvander »

bigpup wrote:Just do this:
Start Comodo
Go back to Comodo
This looked like it was going to work for me, EXCEPT...

when it began downloading the update...
The progress remained at ZERO.
I gave up on it = Closed all windows.

Mike Walsh

#41 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, bigpup.

Thanks for doing that little bit of research for us. I'm on that many different forums these days, I can't always find as much time to investigate stuff like this as I'd like.

It explains why my personal Menu Entry .pet I put together for starting Comodo wasn't allowing the database to update. The /root/my-applications/bin entry I'd made for CAV looked like this:-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start COMODO Anti-virus for Linux : Mike Walsh 2017
#
/opt/COMODO/cmdagent
/opt/COMODO/cav
As you can see, I was starting the 'cmdagent' before CAV itself. I've swapped the last two lines around, and added a sleep statement (to give it time to get started; it takes a few seconds to 'settle down', seemingly):-

#!/bin/sh
#
# Start COMODO Anti-virus for Linux : Mike Walsh 2017
#
/opt/COMODO/cav
sleep 10
/opt/COMODO/cmdagent
.....re-made the .pet, and just tried it, and.....yup; it works nicely now. I can start Comodo, go to 'Update Database', and the updater initializes and begins downloading straight away.

So for anybody who wants it, here's a MenuEntry pet for Comodo's AV for Linux, which will start the GUI properly, and permit the database to update as it should.

Attachments
Comodo_AV-MenuEntry.pet
Comodo Menu Entry
(616 Bytes) Downloaded 126 times
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

The SFS package has been modified to include the above Menu entry 'fix', re-packed, and re-uploaded.

Link as in post #1. There is now just a single Menu Entry, as everything should now run correctly from the GUI.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#43 Post by Sylvander »

The pet works for me, so I've save the changes.
It says I need to reboot.
I wonder if I also need to save the session changes at reboot?
I'll do that.
Rebooted, and it still works; reports it as up-to-date.

What happens if I were to now use the new SFS?

Mike Walsh

#44 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sylvander.

I've just been checking through everything this last few minutes, and so far, all appears to work now as it should. I added the 'sleep' statement into the /root/my-applications/bin 'CAV' file because I noticed that the GUI was taking a few seconds to settle down after initialization.

You can safely ignore the statement in the left-side panel that says 'Filesystem filter driver is not loaded!' As bigpup says, certain of the binaries in the /opt/COMODO directory don't appear to work as they should. It's my belief that the reason for this is quite simple.

This was originally a .deb package, before extraction, re-working for Puppy, and re-packing. I think that it's been specifically written, and set-up for the way the file manager in Debian/Ubuntu is integrated into the file-system.

Since Puppy's ROX works so very differently to the 'standard' file-managers in those mainstream distros, and, moreover, most operations in Puppy tend to be far more 'manual' and 'hands-on', I think, going along with bigpup's summary, that we can safely ignore said binaries. For Pup, they're not really applicable.

In my view, so long as the GUI starts, the database will download, and the scans work as they're supposed to (bearing in mind that most of us will be using this in 'standalone' mode, i.e., as and when we consider it necessary, rather than setting up regularly scheduled scans), I feel this is now a viable package as it stands. I also think that the 'Critical Areas' scan profile will probably be the one that gets the most use.

As always, however, YMMV.....

Gordie

#45 Post by Gordie »

Sylvander wrote:
bigpup wrote:Just do this:
Start Comodo
Go back to Comodo
This looked like it was going to work for me, EXCEPT...

when it began downloading the update...
The progress remained at ZERO.
I gave up on it = Closed all windows.
This is what is happening with me on my Slackware64 14.2 system. Not sure I want to fight with COMODO on Puppy until I get it working on Slackware.

Mike Walsh - You little trick works and now am locked on a 0% download indicator.

/opt/COMODO/cav 
sleep 10 
/opt/COMODO/cmdagent

bigpup

#46 Post by bigpup »

This is what is happening with me on my Slackware64 14.2 system.
So, why do you think what we do to get it to work in Puppy, is going to work in Slackware?

Got working Internet connection?
Comodo web site not blocked?

Maybe a Comodo preferences setting not correct :idea:

Check Comodo preferences and see if it shows this:
Attachments
capture27894.png
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#47 Post by bigpup »

Comodo_AV-MenuEntry.pet works for me too!!
YaPI(any iso installer)

Gordie

#48 Post by Gordie »

Will try and upload a screenshot to show I have the same thing in preferences.
Bigpup - I am a member of this forum and saw a thread about COMODO and made a comment and that is why I am here discussing this with you. Because of the problems I have getting it to update I assumed it is that way for all. I was wrong. Anyway, there is scant little help for COMODO on linux anywhere unless you run Debian or RedHat and I thought perhaps, if there is hope for Puppy then I might be able to use what I learn here to get it to work on Slackware,
So far, so good. I am almost there. It just sits at 0% when trying to download the database.
My allowed attachments are 0 bytes. Oh well

EDIT - Use a browser to go to http://download.comodo.com and get 404 not found

Mike Walsh

#49 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Gordie.

As far as posting screenshots'n'stuff goes, I find that rather than try to work with the Forum's 256k attachment limit, it works much better if you open an account with Imgur. There are plenty of file-hosting/sharing sites out there, but I've always found Imgur to be the most consistently easy to work with.

http://imgur.com/

Use the 'New Post' button at the top to upload your pictures. Click on your a/c name, top right corner. You'll get a display of your pictures come up. Click on the picture you want to use. In the panel on the right-hand side, click on 'Copy' for the 'Direct Link' entry.

Then, to put it into your post, simply paste the entry in, highlight it, and click on the 'Img' button above the post edit window, top right. This will wrap it with the 'img' BBCode tags, and it will be directly displayed, from your Imgur a/c.

Like this:-

I've always believed in using screenshots, wherever possible, to illustrate a point. 'A picture is worth a thousand words...' :)

Any queries, just ask.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 10:04, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#50 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:Comodo_AV-MenuEntry.pet works for me too!!
^^^ +1. Nice one! Image