Comodo AV for Linux

Antivirus, forensics, intrusion detection, cryptography, etc.
Mike Walsh

#61 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Gordie.

No worries, mate. We're all used to copy/pasting stuff!

Yes, that's the bit I was referring to; about the way that the file manager in Debian/Ubuntu is integrated into the file system. Since ROX is so different, I find it doesn't make a scrap of difference to the way Comodo runs.

That's where you're supposed to run the 'post_setup.sh' script, and (supposedly) build the 'redirfs.ko' kernel module. Only it doesn't work in Puppy; I already tried it, with the dev_x and kernel_sources packages loaded. It didn't do what it was supposed to do.

Comodo opens, d/loads the database, and runs the scans. For me, that's all I need.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#62 Post by bigpup »

building the 'redirfs.ko' kernel module seems to be a problem for everyone.

I looked in the official Comodo forum and there is a large number of topics on this same issue.

No one seems to know how to fix it.
A lot of ideas, but they do not work for everyone.
It has to be specific, for the specific kernel you have.

If you are very lucky, it will get made, but it seems few people are that lucky! :roll: :lol:

Still looking for an answer that will work.

However, I do not see the big need for this thing.
I think all it is going to do is let Comodo real time scan as you run the computer.
Last edited by bigpup on Thu 27 Jul 2017, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#63 Post by bigpup »

THE SCRIPT FILES IN COMODO, DO NOT WANT TO WOK CORRECTLY IN PUPPY!!!!
SO DO NOT USE THEM!!!

They need /etc/init.d/functions.

Puppy does not have the functions file.

This is what functions is:
https://bash.cyberciti.biz/guide//etc/init.d/functions
Let us see what happens :idea:

Well, I tried making a functions script file, using what is stated on this web site, should be in it.
Now have /etc/init.d/functions

The Comodo script files now work with no complaining when run in a terminal.
However, they still seem to not do what they are suppose to do.

We are Puppy.
We do not need these stinking Comodo script files!! :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#64 Post by bigpup »

I did a Comodo virus scan of my computer.

It found one item on the scan.

Warning:
Comodo virus scan found Windows on this computer.
This is very dangerous and it should be quarantined or removed from computer! :shock:

So, I quarantined it :!: :lol:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#65 Post by bigpup »

This topic in the Comodo forum seems to offer the best answer to the 'redirfs.ko' kernel module issue.
https://forums.comodo.com/comodo-antivi ... 441.0.html

I tried a fix posted in this topic and it worked.

However, after a reboot and starting Comodo.
Puppy was unstable, very unstable.!!!
Attachments
capture11431.jpg
(31.59 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#66 Post by Mike Walsh »

bigpup wrote:However, I do not see the big need for this thing.
I think all it is going to do is let Comodo real time scan as you run the computer.
I totally agree. I, too, don't really see the need for the 'redirfs.ko' module, simply because Puppy is so different from the mainstream distros in terms of file-manager operation.

Like I said, the GUI opens; I can download the updates; I can run a standalone scan as & when I want to. That's all I, personally, need it to do.

I can certainly do without an unstable Puppy.

@bigpup:- Remarkable perseverance, old son! Nice to see there is a way to achieve this for anyone who's determined enough to do so.

I think I'll pass..! It works for what I want it to do. BTW, I love that it flags up Windoze as 'very dangerous'!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bigpup

#67 Post by bigpup »

I am done trying to fix 'redirfs.ko' kernel module issue.

I do not need any of this:
After fixing it.
Puppy got really, really unstable.

The Comodo scripts are just not going to work in Puppy and those are needed for normal everything working.
Auto having Comodo do things is the issue.

After starting Comodo with the menu entry in Utility.
Manual selection of what to do works with no problem.
I can manually select.
My fingers work OK!!

This is Puppy.
We do not need no stinking auto features!!!!

Well, unless you or someone else can figure it out :!: :lol: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)

keniv

#68 Post by keniv »

Hi All,
I got left behind a bit with this but I have still been following the thread.
Last night I decided to try again but this time with Precise 5.7.1 as I understood it might be a better candidate to get it working. The good news is that it works in Precise. I used the new sfs (I have checked it's the 25MB version) but it does not seem to work as described.
Mike Walsh wrote:The SFS package has been modified to include the above Menu entry 'fix', re-packed, and re-uploaded.

Link as in post #1. There is now just a single Menu Entry, as everything should now run correctly from the GUI.
I don't get a"single menu entry". I seem to have the same menu as in the first sfs. I tried installing the menu pet andthis did add a single menu item. However, as update and scan both work from the menu installed by the sfs I uninstalled the pet.
I have both updated and scanned a usb drive which is what I wanted to be able to do.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#69 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, keniv.

I've found the same thing as you; it 'mis-behaves' in Precise. It's the 'cmdagent' again.

If you check out the little video I made to demonstrate my 'workaround' on the previous page, this works in 571. I did it originally in Slacko 570; it displays the same problem. But the workaround will get it running; I just think it's simply a neater solution than having to dig into the file system to start cmdagent. The sym-link is connected directly to it, and is right there, ready to use.

keniv

#70 Post by keniv »

Thanks Mike,
I'll do that and report back. Can I ask if it updates daily?

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#71 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, keniv.
keniv wrote:Can I ask if it updates daily?
AFAIK, yes. You only receive incremental updates on a daily basis, so it shouldn't take very long. Takes longer to install the damn things than it does to download 'em!

Gordie

I Quit

#72 Post by Gordie »

I used removepkg to uninstall COMODO. Then I had to pick through the hard drive to remove all configs, icons, etc just to be sure I got it all.
-----
Screw's up everything in KDE.

Traded Application Menu icon properties with other widgets from the tray so can't use the application menu until cleared by reboot. A logout and login won't clear it.

Root or Users can't trash, delete or rename files or directories.

Don't run well. Difficult to impossible to run in Slackware.

Refused to update sig database so had to update sigs by hand and it looks like they are on dialup cause it is S L O W! After updating - when trying to scan it goes and uses dialup to re-download the sigs S L O W L Y again.

NOT WORTH THE EFFORT for me

bigpup was right. My system became unstable after updating the driver

keniv

#73 Post by keniv »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, keniv.
keniv wrote:Can I ask if it updates daily?
AFAIK, yes. You only receive incremental updates on a daily basis, so it shouldn't take very long. Takes longer to install the damn things than it does to download 'em!
I am now confused as whether it is updating or not. When I updated for the first time last night I did it from the menu. Window 1 appeared. When I pressed "start" it appeared to connect to the update site. In processes cavupdater ran the cpu up to 78%. At the end of this I was told the product was up to date. However, since then if I try to update I first get window1 then after a short time I get window 2. If it only updates once a day this might still be OK as I did this after midnight last night. It does scan properly from the menu though this is obviously not much good if it's not updating. If I use Mikes method to start and update I get window 3.(note that this says never updated yet I believe it has) If I click antivirus I get window 4. If I go to window 5 and click cmdagent then scan I get window 6 but and processes shows cavupdater starting, getting to about 9% then stopping. I'm now baffled. Sorry about all the images.

Regards,

Ken
Attachments
win 6.png
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
win 5.png
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
win4.png
(15.17 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
win 3.png
(55.54 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
win2.png
(42.03 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
win1.png
(42.55 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Mike Walsh

#74 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, Ken.

Ah, you're getting things confused here, mate.....and it's easy to do. Took me a wee while to figure it out.

There's two separate updaters within the program. One updates the antivirus signature database. The other is the updater for the actual program itself.

Your pictures 'window5' & 'window6' are the program updater. I check this one maybe once a week.

You update the signature database from the 'Antivirus' tab. Make sure you click on the 'cmdagent' executable before you click on 'Update Virus Database'.

Let us know what happens, please.

slavvo67

#75 Post by slavvo67 »

This is working well in RU Xerus64. Haven't tried via command line, however.

I run the following boot script to get the gui:

/opt/COMODO/cmdagent
/opt/COMODO/cav

Of course, COMODO is in my opt directory.

There may be an issue where the cmdagent continues to run in the background after shutting down Comodo. Still looking at this but if true, I would probably make a killall icon to kill it after shutting down.

Anyway, it's nice to have an anti-virus working in Quirky 64. More at risk, I think than a Puppy LiveCD.

Thanks

Slavvo67

keniv

#76 Post by keniv »

Mike Walsh wrote:
Ah, you're getting things confused here, mate.....and it's easy to do. Took me a wee while to figure it out.

There's two separate updaters within the program. One updates the antivirus signature database. The other is the updater for the actual program itself.

Your pictures 'window5' & 'window6' are the program updater.
That explains why I was convinced that it had updated the first time I tried. I think I updated the program.
I've had another go at updating the but again it did not work. Here is what I did,
I clicked on the directory on my desktop to open it see win-a. I clicked on
comodo-antivirus.desktop. When the window appeared I clicked on antivirus brining up win-b. I the went back to win-a and clicked on cmdagent. then I win-b I clicked update virus database. This brought up win-c. However, win-c just sits like this as long as I care to leave it. If I look at processes duering this time I see cav running between 0.5-1.0% of cpu. Below are images of the windows I mentioned.

Regards,

Ken.

Edit It struck me that it might matter where the directory containing the two sys linked files were place. I made a new Directoty in /my-applications and deleted the other but it made no difference.
Attachments
win-a.png
window a
(21.1 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
win-b.png
window b
(89.96 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
win-c.png
window c
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

keniv

#77 Post by keniv »

I think my problem is still with running cmdagent. If I run it in a terminal I still get this.

Code: Select all

# /opt/COMODO/cmdagent
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)"
You can see at the top of win-usr-lib below the two sys links and icui18n.so.51.2 file are in /usr/lib. Is this definately the correct place for them?

Regards,

Ken.
Attachments
win-usr-lib.png
/usr/lib
(33.91 KiB) Downloaded 386 times

Mike Walsh

#78 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Ken.

Just to show it does work in Precise, here's the updater running:-

...and finished:-

So it does function. However, I suspect you've got some more missing dependencies. This is pure speculation, but I originally had to install libicui18n.so around 2 years ago when I was trying to get Chromium to run on here. To get the system completely happy, I then had to 'install' a further 6 libs. These all appear to be Python dependencies.....but the first 3 aren't happy working without these 6.

So; give these a try, and let me know if it helps. Put 'em in /usr/lib, same as the others. I'm afraid this one's quite a sizeable chunk of data..!

http://www.datafilehost.com/d/28538ffa

Let me know what happens, please. If this don't work, I'll drag myself off my lazy arse, hightail it up the A1 to Bonnie Scotland, and we'll beat the bugger into submission...!!

If it runs on mine, it'll run on yours.

keniv

#79 Post by keniv »

Hello Mike,
Thanks again for the extra files. Installed them as instructed but I still get the same result. Tried running /opt/COMODO/cmdagent but also get the same result.

Code: Select all

# /opt/COMODO/cmdagent
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (icui18n: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
# 
Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

#80 Post by bigpup »

In your image of /usr/lib directory.

libicui18n is shown as a symbolic link.
Link to what?

If this is a 64bit version of Slackware.
Should be a /usr/lib64 directory with 64 bit versions of lib's.
YaPI(any iso installer)