Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Dec 2017, 23:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Adobe's Reader 9.5.5...
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 11:11    Post subject:  Adobe's Reader 9.5.5...
Subject description: Pet and SFS of the final version for those who just can't do without it...

Afternoon, all.

PDF readers we are not short of in Puppyland. There are numerous native ones, there's things like Foxit Software's PDFReader (though I find the Windoze version running under WINE is way more feature-rich than the somewhat stunted Linux version).

Which brings us around to 'the Daddy'. Adobe's Acrobat Reader for PDFs. Following, once again, the Puppy maxim of 'choice', I've packaged Adobe's final Linux release, version 9.5.5, from 4 years ago. 4 years old it may well be, but, like so much older software, it's still perfectly functional.....if that's what you're used to, and it's what you want.

It's available from my MediaFire a/c, in both .pet and SFS format:_

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/mkxh1yw53id1d/Adobe_Acrobat_Reader_9

Help yourselves. Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 12:43    Post subject:  

Thank You Mike!! I do need it once in awhile due to familiar controls... Doesn't need to be the newest...just function well. So these 2 files go into my collection and the sfs right into mainstream use.
perdido

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 13:07    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,
Here is some additional info for setup of the browser plugin.
One of the unique properties of Adobe Reader 9.5.5 is that it can fill in online interactive XFA PDF forms from US govt.
There are no other software available for Linux that will do that.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=862409#862409

rockedge

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 13:24    Post subject:  

perdido is totally correct....I almost forgot for a moment those PDF forms and applications!!

the SFS and PET both work on my Tahr64-6.0.5 and Tahr64-6.0.6 plus both tahr 6.0.5 and 6.0.6 32bit systems ...very cool.
perdido

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017, 14:07    Post subject:  

The plugin also works in my pale moon 26.3.3 in case anyone was wondering, but needs to be manually installed.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 06:16    Post subject:  

Hi, perdido/rockedge.

I came across it the other day, TBH. I know it's been around for years, but I also know there's many Government institutions (both here in the UK, and definitely on t'other side of 'the Pond') that insist on Adobe Reader for a lot of stuff.

I mainly use Foxit Software's PDF Reader, running under WINE. I've tried the Linux version, but it's a very sparse, feature-poor thing compared to the Whinedoze version!

Since it's an easy one to package, and even has its own desktop entry (which works, for a change, without needing any editing), I thought I'd make it available. I know our American cousins mostly have to fill out their own tax returns; an 'option' which is becoming more commonly offered here in the UK, too.

@perdido:-

How d'you get hold of this plug-in? Is it mainly a FireFox thing.....or do Google have an offering for the Chrome/Chromium-based browsers? And more to the point.....how does it work?

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 07:49    Post subject:  

@perdido:-

Never mind; scratch my last question. This version appears to be the full version, complete with plug-ins and everything. I downloaded this from Softpedia, who aren't quite as 'pushy' with bloatware as some of the major software download sites.

I had a look at the download link you gave; extracted that and studied it. Had a look at your SFS package, then compared it, and the extracted download, with my SFS.

The browser install script is there already, along with execute permissions and the whole kit'n'caboodle, including the nppdf.so and all the intellinux stuff. That's where the bulk of the package lies. And the proof? I'm in Xenialpup, so I opened up PaleMoon (which I don't really use much; I'm a long-term Chrome guy!), looked in Menu->Add-ons->Plugins.....and there it was, looking back at me.

This particular package appears to execute the 'global' option by default. All I did was d/l the package, extract, make up the .pet & SFS packages, then install using the .pet package, since there's tons of room on that partition; no real need of space-saving there. But that's why I did both; not everybody wants a package that size permanently loaded/installed.

I didn't touch the terminal to run the plug-in installer script; it appears to have run totally automatically, using (as stated) the 'global' option.

I ought to have realised that somebody else would have packaged this, at some point during the last 4 years..!

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. Appreciated. Very Happy

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jul 2017, 13:55    Post subject:  

Following further experimentation (and just to clarify the point with the browser plug-in), it appears that if you install the .pet package, the browser install script runs automatically. If, however, you load the SFS package, you do indeed need to run the browser plugin script from the terminal.

Which, TBH, is pretty much what I expected.

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to: