How to add 'Winamp' skins to Audacious

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mike Walsh

How to add 'Winamp' skins to Audacious

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, all.

I've been running Winamp under WINE for a little while now.....but it's a little bit hit & miss. Although I use the same version of WINE (version2013's 1.7.51) in every Pup, not all features seem to work the same in each one. Some things will work in one Pup, but not in another.

Etc., etc., etc.....

Anyroad, most of you have probably known this for a long time, but Audacious has a Winamp-skinned variant built-in to it. Not only that, but everything works as it should, too..!

By default, it comes with, I think, 4 or 5 'skins'. No more than that. Now, I've built up quite a collection of Winamp skins since starting to use it in Puppy. (I used it for years in Whinedoze, but wasn't aware it would run under WINE till fairly recently, when I came across mention of it in another thread here). So I dug around, found a load of old versions, and downloaded the specific version mentioned in the thread; one of the old 2-series (which is what I'm used to, anyway.) And.....it worked. Sweet! (Well.....mostly works. Sort of. Most of the time.....when it feels like it. A-hem...)

I get my skins from here:-

http://www.winampskins.info/

This is a massive collection. It's alphabetically arranged, and although I've only got as far as 'G' so far, I must have viewed the better part of at least a thousand already. Plenty to play with! You'll want those compatible with the 2-series Winamp player.

In Winamp itself, the player reads the archived file directly from the Skins directory. In the Winamp preferences, you point it at the skins directory when you first set it up, and it reads from there afterwards.

Audacious, seemingly, can't handle the .wsz file directly, so.....you need to extract it. (I use don570's excellent 'Right-click' .pet, which adds a host of useful utilities to the right-click context menu, one of which is uExtract. I agree with certain others here on the Forum; it really is the best all-round file-extraction utility there is.)

So, having downloaded your favourite-looking skins, extract them (by whatever means you use), then re-name them, to remove the '.wsz_extracted' bit on the end. Now, move them into /usr/share/audacious/Skins. And that, mes amis, is all there is to it.

Fire Audacious up, then go into 'View', and select 'Interface->Winamp Classic interface'. You should now have Winamp showing, on the 'Default' skin. (Which ain't bad.....but it's a bit too dark for my liking.)

Click on the little button right in the top-left corner. A menu will come up. Go to 'View->Interface preferences'. You should see a list of your skins, in graphical format (so you know what it is you're selecting.) Scroll up/down to find the one you want, then simply click to select, and you should see the change directly.

By default, just the player shows. On the right-hand side of the player, there are two buttons, to the right of the Volume/Balance slider controls, marked 'EQ' and 'PL'. If you click each of these, the equaliser and playlist interfaces will also appear.

Here's Audacious in Precise 5.7.1, currently sporting the Winamp 'Herald_Amp' theme:-

Not bad, eh? :D

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink: