TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#61 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:It's just that.....well......Frankenstein was my hero, and with development of "frugal" and "saveonexit" with porteus-boot, I figure just start slapping in hearts, stomachs, intestines, gall bladders....and can't forget the liver (to keep backi healthy).....slap it all together & see what monster creation you have. If it doesn't work, take it out, don't "saveonexit", and next reboot start the Frankenstein surgery again If things get real bad, then I sadly succumb to the boring, bland, no-fun "pet2deb script, taking all the life out of me as some code (that I barely half-understand) takes all the joy out of my life.
Yes, I see, well.. sometimes I'm having a "purist-breakdown", sorry, I'm OK now again :)

@backi,
Don`t forget vlc can not be run as root .Vlc is One of the few exceptions .
See my advice above to start vlc with this script .
True, however the commandline "sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc" can be a one-time operation, so after that you can always run Vlc from menu.
What I did for the by apt2sfs created vlc.squashfs was just before creation with mksquashfs (at the point of getting the choice for which type compression) is (for e.g. /mnt/sda7/vlc)

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/sda7/vlc
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' usr/bin/vlc # no slash before path of vlc
Then the vlc binary in the vlc.squashfs is hard-coded already to run as root and no 'run-as-root-script' is needed anymore. (just run Vlc from the Menu)

EDIT: backi,
Could not make it work in "safe mode" in Trinity Dog.
I meant with this one (it's made with apt2sfs on Stretchdog openbox version, run as root (hard-coded))
(with normal activate VLC doesn't show in Menu and breaks Konsole Terminal, but with "safe mode" it's OK):
https://debiandog.github.io/Misc/Stretc ... c.squashfs
Did you try it with that?

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#62 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
What I did for the by apt2sfs created vlc.squashfs was just before creation with mksquashfs (at the point of getting the choice for which type compression) is (for e.g. /mnt/sda7/vlc)
Code:
cd /mnt/sda7/vlc
After saving session ....would it (running as root ) survive a restart ?Probably ??
To lazy to test myself.
BTW ......anyway just use VlC rarely .......although a fine application .
Last edited by backi on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

jss83

#63 Post by jss83 »

Hi,

I'll get back to trying to update apt and fixing vlc again as soon as fix this wlan problem which arose again out of no where. I'll show you a screenshot, the wlan when working shows up right below the eth0 but now it's gone, it's shown in the bottom right and I don't know how to get it working again. I don't want to re-format everytime this happens.

Sorry, it said the attachment is big, I had to upload it to imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/1TeGryr.png

fredx181

#64 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi fred !
Code:
cd /mnt/sda7/vlc
After saving session ....would it (running as root ) survive a restart ?Probably ??
If you have it loaded at boot it does (placed in live folder), if not loaded at boot you have to activate/load it manually of course, but runs as root fine then again without 'run-as-root-script'

Fred

backi

#65 Post by backi »

Hi jss83 !
Maybe try to to install Frisbee or Wicd instead of ceni...if you get your wifi connection working .......but do not save your session until you are sure it works .
(BACKUP YOUR SAVE FOLDER/FILE FIRST).

I am thinking also about replacing Ceni with Frisbee or Wicd .They do work for me (better ).

backi

#66 Post by backi »

For Fred !
I meant with this one (it's made with apt2sfs on Stretchdog openbox version, run as root (hard-coded))
(with normal activate VLC doesn't show in Menu and breaks Konsole Terminal, but with "safe mode" it's OK):
Did you try it with that?
No i did not try your vlc.squashfs from https://debiandog.github.io/Misc/Stretc ... c.squashfs .Used the one i downloaded with AptToSfs .

But i am curious about it .....so i will going to try yours .

backi

#67 Post by backi »

For jss83!
Did the Test.
Download the vlc.squashfs from Fred .Activate Module in save mode . It works directly without any problems from Menu>Multimedia.
Download :
Last edited by backi on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.

belham2

#68 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:It's just that.....well......Frankenstein was my hero.......

Yes, I see, well.. sometimes I'm having a "purist-breakdown", sorry, I'm OK now again :)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Well, more Frankenstein work. Just attempted successful surgery. What do you notice about the 1st screen capture below taken a few secs ago? Heehee. No dialog boxes anywhere, even the taskbar. I successfully implanted the .pet "PupSnap-2.5-with-its-version-of-scrot-and libs" into both Jessie & Stretch Trinities---and, yes, I made sure the libs were re-routed to correct places and that they didn't conflict with any originally already there. Result: you can now take screen captures where the dialog box diappears (as soon as it begins functioning). And added benefit, as you can see from the 2nd pic below, is that PupSnap allows a lot more control of the process with things like borders, sizing, loading/uploading, etc, etc. Also, by default PupSnap now saves all screenshots in /root/my-documents/images/ and names them them "image-1.png", "image-2.png", (or PupSnap lets you name them & save them where you want---before the pics is/are even snapped) and so on without that terrible automatic saving & time-stamp naming where if you have a lot of pics, you're staring at them in /root like: WTF?...haha. :lol:

P.S. I know this is all trivial, but it's the best I can do since you dang well made everything perfect in these versions of ddog--AGAIN!. I've nothing to fix, except maybe a few menu icons here or there, and doing stuff like this pupsnap which doesn't need to be done :( :cry:
Attachments
clear-uncluttered-desktop-pics.png
(150.67 KiB) Downloaded 323 times
using-PupSnap-2.5-in-Trinity-Jessie-and-Stretch.png
(117.13 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Last edited by belham2 on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 19:43, edited 3 times in total.

jss83

#69 Post by jss83 »

How to install frisbee? I mean I don't have internet working there without wlan. :?

belham2

#70 Post by belham2 »

jss83 wrote:How to install frisbee? I mean I don't have internet working there without wlan. :?
jss,

I could tell how I would do it (robbing Fred's older 64-bit versions of debiandogs, which I've done before looking for wirelessfirmware/ modules), but Fred would drive down from Amsterdam and put a bullet right between my eyes. :roll:

I am praying for ya!! :)
Last edited by belham2 on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#71 Post by fredx181 »

jss83 wrote:Hi,

I'll get back to trying to update apt and fixing vlc again as soon as fix this wlan problem which arose again out of no where. I'll show you a screenshot, the wlan when working shows up right below the eth0 but now it's gone, it's shown in the bottom right and I don't know how to get it working again. I don't want to re-format everytime this happens.

Sorry, it said the attachment is big, I had to upload it to imgur.

http://i.imgur.com/1TeGryr.png
Looking at your screenshot it seems to me that you got no internet connection at all, right?
And wlan0 should be one of the (configurable) hardware interfaces, see my Ceni screenshot attached.
Possibly you need to install extra firmware for your wireless card, if I can help further it will be tomorrow, was it that you said "ralink" earlier?, please provide some more detailled information.

EDIT:
How to install frisbee? I mean I don't have internet working there without wlan.
Download with another distro and install later in Trinitydog this deb
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... 0_i386.deb
But it won't help if the missing firmware is the problem.

Fred
Attachments
ceni-hardware-interfaces.png
(48.81 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#72 Post by backi »

Hi (Doc) belham !
Reading your name ....a shiver ran down my spine ..and my first thought was " Oh my God.The Monster is back in Town " .
But this seems to be one of your more successful experiments .Good Discovery Doc !!!
Thumbs up !
Last edited by backi on Sat 22 Jul 2017, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

jss83

#73 Post by jss83 »

@Belham: I don't have older versions, I'd have to download them for that and the whole reason I installed this was to get my wifi working without installing any thing else and not changing any kernels. :( And it was working fine until I don't know what happened.

@fred: Yes, no internet and that's exactly how it shows up when it was working in the hardware interfaces column but don't know what happened. I can wait till tomorrow, it's 1:00 AM here, as for more info on my wifi, you'll find all the info in these threads, this is how I got it working in tahrpup with the help of rcrsn51

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106705
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 231#899231

Also, xenialpup has its driver built in as well but I am facing some other issues with it.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help.

fredx181

#74 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:
fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:It's just that.....well......Frankenstein was my hero.......

Fred

Hi Fred,

Well, more Frankenstein work. Just attempted successful surgery. What do you notice about the 1st screen capture below taken a few secs ago? Heehee. No dialog boxes anywhere, even the taskbar. I successfully implanted the .pet "PupSnap-2.5-with-its-version-of-scrot-and libs" into both Jessie & Stretch Trinities---and, yes, I made sure the libs were re-routed to correct places and that they didn't conflict with any originally already there. Result: you can now take screen captures where the dialog box diappears (as soon as it begins functioning). And added benefit, as you can see from the 2nd pic below, is that PupSnap allows a lot more control of the process with things like borders, sizing, loading/uploading, etc, etc. Also, by default PupSnap now saves all screenshots in /root/my-documents/images/ and names them them "image-1.png", "image-2.png", and so on without that terrible time-stamp naming where if you have a lot of pics, you're staring at them like WTF?...haha.

P.S. I know this is all trivial, but it's the best I can do since you dang well made everything perfect in these versions of ddog--AGAIN!. I've nothing to fix, except maybe a few menu icons here or there, and doing stuff like this pupsnap which doesn't need to be done :( :cry:
Maybe you like to share (later) a "TrinityDog-Extreme" (or whatever name :) ISO ? with all your creativity and extra misc. puppy stuff inside, not kidding.., serious, then I'll add info and link in first post, what do you think?

Fred

fredx181

#75 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jss83,

Did some digging already, if it's about the mt7601u driver, it's included in the 4.9 kernel, so you can try:

modprobe mt7601u
And see of wireless works, but I suspect you need to install also the firmware-misc-nonfree debian package (includes mt7601u.bin), download from another distro:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/no ... -3_all.deb
Then in Trinitydog, from Thunar right-click on it and select "Install deb"
Let me know if this works or not.
Btw, another way would be to activate the firmware squashfs, it has the firmware-misc-nonfree included (and much more):
https://github.com/DebianDog/trinitydog ... 8.squashfs
(right-click > Activate module, or if if you boot frugally, place in in the 'live' folder and it will be activated at boot after restart)

Fred

jss83

#76 Post by jss83 »

Hi fred,

It worked, installed frisbee and the firmware and placed the firmware squashfs in the live folder as well, rebooted and frisbee showed the interface listed and it took it a little time to reconfigure but I am connected now.

Thanks a ton!!

Now I'll report back on the VLC. :D

One more thing, what's this desktop pager thing, I must have clicked on it yesterday whilst searching for the screenshot utility and now it shows up first thing after desktop loads up and it's so annoying.

Okay never mind the desktop pager thingy, it went away after reboot, loving my network now, it connects even before the desktop is fully loaded and it gives a notification in the upper right with your avatar like image in it Fred. :)

I got VLC, I just downloaded the squashfs and right clicked on it and activate module (safe mode) and it showed in multimedia menu :D and the apt-get update completed without any errors as well.

Update:
Ran into another problem with VLC :-

Codec not supported:VLC could not decode the format "h264" (H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10))
But then I deactivated the module vlc which I downloaded because I googled the error and it said something about wrong version number or missing codecs. So I made another squashfs as instructed by Backi and this it worked, it made a smaller squashfs and it works and plays the videos now. Though, it wouldn't work from Multimedia>Menu until I entered the code Backi provided into terminal. Will see if it works after the reboot from Menu without re-entering the code or not.

Update2:
And it does works from the menu. Everything working fine now, when booting all things shows green except one, "loading cpufreq kernel module failed", but I guess that's not important right?
Attachments
2017-07-23-094806_1024x768_scrot.png
(228.72 KiB) Downloaded 684 times

backi

#77 Post by backi »

Hi
"loading cpufreq kernel module failed"
No problem .

fredx181

#78 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jss83

Congratulations!! Nice that you got things working now.
Question out of curiosity: what's the reason you replaced ceni with frisbee?
Ceni didn't work well or...

Fred

jss83

#79 Post by jss83 »

No, ceni was working well until yesterday when wlan stopped showing because of the firmware issue I think, so I just installed the deb you provided with the firmware and rebooted and everything's working fine from then, thanks to you :) . Should I replace it back? I don't know how.. :?

I'll forget about the cpufreq thing then, thanks Backi. :)

fredx181

#80 Post by fredx181 »

jss83 wrote:No, ceni was working well until yesterday when wlan stopped showing because of the firmware issue I think, so I just installed the deb you provided with the firmware and rebooted and everything's working fine from then, thanks to you :) . Should I replace it back? I don't know how.. :?
Yes, it could well be because of the firmware was missing, but now you got wireless working, better keep it how it is now (frisbee), I am just curious about how well Ceni works for others (ceni is new included, before I always included frisbee in the 'dogs' I made)

EDIT: @backi, can you report if Ceni works well for you to get a wireless connection?
Any reason that you'd prefer frisbee or WICD, is it the different GUI interface or... ?

Fred