Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:04
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
TrinityDog - Jessie & Stretch
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 3 of 10 [143 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Author Message
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 05:47    Post subject:  

libgl1-mesa-dri followup:


Holy cra!p...... I typed "libgl1-mesa-dri" into Synaptic, Synaptic quickly brought it back, and then I chose "Mark for Installation", and Synaptic then said that additional things need to be installed (libdrm-amdgpu1, libedit2 and libllvm3.9) and the final MB sum would be:

175MB install!! Shocked

I mean, for heaven's sake, how can additional 175MB be needed just for a "Dreamchess" program to run, a program that is only 8-9MB in size? Doggone it Debian developers (not you, Fred, talking about the actual Debian developers of Debian overall)! All pups run dreamchess without this extra bloat, and besides, "libgl1-mesa-glx" is already installed in Debian so why is the "......-mesa-dri" module also needed??? Argh.....175MB is half the size of the Trinity ISO Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2595
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 06:05    Post subject:  

Re: libgl1-mesa-dri followup:

Hi belham, quick reply for now, will reply later today on your other message.

Well, that's the consequence of such a tiny system, that big libraries are not included, e.g. Debian Live ISO (xfce=1.8 GB) probably has it included, libllvm3.9 dependency is big also.
But once installed libgl1-mesa-dri, the size of dependencies for other 3D programs such as games or e.g. blender, google-earth etc.. will be much less then.

P.S. curious how this is done in Puppy, BTW, e.g. self-compiled, different dependencies, or.. ?

Fred
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1343
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 07:01    Post subject:  

Cheers fred !

Quote:
Perhaps you don't have enough space left in /mnt/sda7 ?
For me apt2sfs works OK.


That`s right .Me stupid Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Regarding Trinity Desktop .........:
The more i use it ......the more i like it Very Happy

Regards !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 08:55    Post subject:  

followup on
belham2 wrote:


6) Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time Sad And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon?? Is this already included in the DebianDogs and I just haven't known it??



Hi again Fred,

Another brain fart again today Crying or Very sad I forgot we can use a terminal and ldd command when looking at dependencies. But the even bigger lapse was me forgetting that there is something even better: radky's excellent GUI front-end for this, called ListDD-2.0 (he just updated it a few days ago).:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95935

Radky's 'ListDD-2.0' is a GUI for terminal 'ldd command' and it will list all dynamic dependencies of binary executables and library files. For example, I threw 'dreamchess' (from /usr/games/) into ListDD, and it presented back this (the pic below). Best thing is Radky's GUI lets you quickly click and then look at what's "complete", "unused", and "missing" via the buttons set up for each of those. I've used it in pups before, but when come to the DDogs, I always forget what I second-nature do in the pups.

Maybe ListDD ought to be included in all future versions of any type of DDog?? Smile Just a thought (and if there is already a script/program of something similar that you've got inside the Trinity's and other DDogs, then plz excuse my stupidity as I'm really struggling these last 24 hours with functioning brain matter, lol).
radkys-ListDD-2.0-excellent-ldd-command-GUI-.png
 Description   
 Filesize   236.2 KB
 Viewed   573 Time(s)

radkys-ListDD-2.0-excellent-ldd-command-GUI-.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dancytron

Joined: 18 Jul 2012
Posts: 942

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:03    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
dancytron wrote:
Only thing I've noticed so far is that it didn't configure my internet automatically. I have pretty standard intel wired ethernet. I had to go to the network configuration and change from allow hotplug to auto. Then it worked.

You did that in /etc/network/interfaces ? and what/how you changed exactly?

Fred


Sorry, should have been clearer.

I just right clicked on the network icon in the task bar, chose "setup", hit return to choose my ethernet, and then just changed it on the next page and chose accept.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:10    Post subject: Htop vs Glances  

Hi all,

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, with the DDogs, you have something available to you that is a little more useful, imho, than htop. It's called "Glances":
There-is-Htop.png
 Description   
 Filesize   243.77 KB
 Viewed   518 Time(s)

There-is-Htop.png

and-then-there-is-Glances.png
 Description   
 Filesize   241.8 KB
 Viewed   518 Time(s)

and-then-there-is-Glances.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:19    Post subject:  

Also, I know this is heresy to many in the pup-world, but I installed radky's latest PupSysInfo-2.7 in both Trinity DDogs. Don't ask why, lol. Anyhow, your mileage may vary greatly on what you get to work. I got some of it functions to work in Trinity DDogs, even though it's designed for specifically for pups. Frankenstein lives! Wink
radkys-latest-PupSysInfo-2.7-in-trinity.png
 Description   
 Filesize   240.44 KB
 Viewed   512 Time(s)

radkys-latest-PupSysInfo-2.7-in-trinity.png

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1343
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:42    Post subject:  

Hi (doc) belham !
It looks you`re quite a bit hyperactive today !
Looking for entertainment ?
Forgot your Ritalin ? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2595
Location: holland

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017, 15:47    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Ok, much thanks for installing/testing dreamchess. Can I ask a question, Fred, something that always stumps me? How did you know about the "libgl1-mesa-dri"?? I mean, what I did installing Dreamchess was watch Synaptic install it, and then I assume all the dependencies Synaptic installed too (see below pic). It is a bad or wrong assumption for a user to believe that Synaptic will install dependencies when it installs the program you choose??? I always thought Synaptic took care of those problems, but I may have been under an illusion all this time Sad And if Synaptic does fail about dependencies, is there some sort of script program (like in the pups) that allows you to click on an "installed program" and it will check all of the dependencies that that "installed-program" relies upon??


After only installing dreamchess and running in terminal, I get this:
Code:
root@stretch:~# dreamchess
DreamChess v0.2.1-RC2 (0203100)
ui_sdlgl.c:430: error: failed to set video mode: 640x480; 32 bpp; fullscreen off; 0x multisampling: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

I guess the developers didn't make package "libgl1-mesa-dri" a 'hard' dependency since there are more ways to setup GLX (I know very little about but I guess it depends on the graphics card, e.g. for NVIDIA it might be different, I have onboard Intel card and libgl1-mesa-dri works for me).

So... see this as one of the very few exceptions that apt-get or synaptic doesn't install all required.

Quote:
4) Dock Application Bar----can't figure out why TDE develops wouldn't let us move this around? Strange Confused Oh well, I will try that link's suggestion (thanks), and if that doesn't work I will go the "wbar" route as it's available in Synaptic


Why use wbar if you can just add a extra "normal" panel and configure it exactly as you like ?

Quote:
P.S. So I setup Trinity Jessie late last night----guess what, absolutely no dual monitor problems, TDE let me make all sorts of changes, and it made them & both monitors remained clear as the sky. Also, no matter what I did, even messing with and changing Conky's settings, Conky stayed fully transparent. Lol, go figure. I think it might have more than a little to do with my systems love the battle-tested 3.16-series kernels (and even up to 4.4-series kernels), but they b!tch up a storm once I hit the 4.9-series & above kernels. Guess my old hardware is getting old just like me


OK, NICE!!
My guess is that it doesn't have to do with newer or older kernel.
Maybe the TDE package repository used in TrinityDog-Stretch (Preliminary Stable Builds) is not stable enough:
From TDE website https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/DebianInstall#For_Stretch_.28Debian_9.x.29:
Quote:
For Stretch (Debian 9.x), although it is already released, currently there is no official version of TDE available, although TDE runs smoothly in Stretch. If you are interested in installing TDE in a Stretch environment, you can use the preliminary packages for the next R14.0.5 release.
Please refer to the Preliminary Stable Builds page for further instructions.


Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2595
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 03:37    Post subject:  

Hi Belham, All,

As I said earlier that Conky transparancy is a bit problematic in Trinity.
My workaround is the script "setbackdrop" in ~/Startup which checks for changed wallpaper, but it's not ideal because it doesn't work with all wallpaper formats provided in the backgrounds list from "Configure Desktop"
Also it's a little slow with refreshing the conky transparancy.
So here's another way, but it requires compositing enabled (which uses just a little more RAM)

Here are the steps:
First move "setbackdrop" away from Startup folder
Code:
mv ~/Startup/setbackdrop ~/

Logout and back in (now the conky display is black for sure)
From Menu, go to Trinity Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior and click the tab "Translucency"
Tick the checkbox "Enable the Trinity window composition manager"
Click 'Apply' at the bottom and close the window.
Conky window is still black, so we need to edit now the conky config:
Open ~/.conkyrc-port (if using porteus-boot) or ~/.conkyrc-live (if using live-boot) with leafpad.
Add these lines somewhere before the "TEXT" block:
Code:
own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 0


For Stretch version, find this line: "own_window_colour brown" and comment it out.
So should look like this:
Code:
# own_window_colour brown

Save ~/.conkyrc-port (or ~/.conkyrc-live)

And conky should have transparent view with any wallpaper now Smile
EDIT: Colors are a bit different though (specially the 'bars')
EDIT2: Just found that setting "own_window_argb_value" to 255 will display the normal colors:
Code:
own_window_argb_value 255


Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 08:43    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Belham, All,

As I said earlier that Conky transparancy is a bit problematic in Trinity.
My workaround is the script "setbackdrop" in ~/Startup which checks for changed wallpaper, but it's not ideal because it doesn't work with all wallpaper formats provided in the backgrounds list from "Configure Desktop"
Also it's a little slow with refreshing the conky transparancy.
So here's another way, but it requires compositing enabled (which uses just a little more RAM)

Here are the steps:
First move "setbackdrop" away from Startup folder
Code:
mv ~/Startup/setbackdrop ~/

Logout and back in (now the conky display is black for sure)
From Menu, go to Trinity Control Center > Desktop > Window Behavior and click the tab "Translucency"
Tick the checkbox "Enable the Trinity window composition manager"
Click 'Apply' at the bottom and close the window.
Conky window is still black, so we need to edit now the conky config:
Open ~/.conkyrc-port (if using porteus-boot) or ~/.conkyrc-live (if using live-boot) with leafpad.
Add these lines somewhere before the "TEXT" block:
Code:
own_window_argb_visual
own_window_argb_value 0


For Stretch version, find this line: "own_window_colour brown" and comment it out.
So should look like this:
Code:
# own_window_colour brown

Save ~/.conkyrc-port (or ~/.conkyrc-live)

And conky should have transparent view with any wallpaper now Smile
EDIT: Colors are a bit different though (specially the 'bars')
EDIT2: Just found that setting "own_window_argb_value" to 255 will display the normal colors:
Code:
own_window_argb_value 255


Fred



Hmmm, tried and applied the above changes in Stretch, and me conky's background is still as black as midnight oil. Maybe it is because of the background (as you mention) I've chose and still stick with. Problem is, I sort of really like the gears (mechanical) choice, and am reluctant to change it since it's the thing I'll always see. With Trinity-Jessie, no matter what I throw at it, conky (and the overall monitors) acts like nothing is wrong and just keeps on displaying things crystal clear.


On another note, I've been playing with the gifondesktop---fun stuff. I like the running pack of dogs one. Too bad we couldn't incorporate this script into some system early-warning system GTKDialog (whatever YAD) for when I've done something in (or installed) a program that begins freezing up the overall system. Before things completely freeze, the script would automatically run and I would see a pack of dogs running across my screen AND then I'd know I'd better start running with them as I've surely screwed something up again Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 2595
Location: holland

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 13:24    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Hmmm, tried and applied the above changes in Stretch, and me conky's background is still as black as midnight oil. Maybe it is because of the background (as you mention) I've chose and still stick with


The triple gears (I think you use) is one of the backgrounds (has jpg extension) that does work for conky transparent with the 'workaround' script setbackdrop in ~/Startup.
The mini-howto with compositing enabled is to make transparency also work with (some) backgrounds that have the .svgz extension. (e.g. Celtic is one of them).
Strange the setting with compositing and conkyrc edit doesn't work for you, thinking I forgot something to mention, but.. no.

Quote:
On another note, I've been playing with the gifondesktop---fun stuff. I like the running pack of dogs one. Too bad we couldn't incorporate this script into some system early-warning system GTKDialog (whatever YAD) for when I've done something in (or installed) a program that begins freezing up the overall system. Before things completely freeze, the script would automatically run and I would see a pack of dogs running across my screen AND then I'd know I'd better start running with them as I've surely screwed something up again


Laughing Laughing

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
jss83

Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 230

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017, 23:25    Post subject:    

Hi fredx181,

In my current search for a puppy that comes with the Ralink MT7601 Driver I am trying a lot of puppys, I downloaded the stretch version and amazingly it found my wlan device right ootb Very Happy , which is great. And overall the desktop with this trinity environment and kde theme looks amazing plus the sounds Wink , I am quite liking it.

How does one install VLC and Palemoon in this, as I am more familiar to use those. And how to install the .pet files?

Edit: Also, it seems I don't have root access to other drives I plugged in as I can't download stuff to them directly, how to gain access to usb drives with root privileges?

Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
backi

Joined: 27 Feb 2011
Posts: 1343
Location: GERMANY

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul 2017, 03:04    Post subject:  

Hi for Palemoon download either installer or bzipped tarball :
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/installer/
http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

For vlc :
downloading it from synaptic and installingcould lead to problems cause it does not start when logged in as root.
There is a solution for this .
After installing (or better download it as a squashfile with AptToSfs ,in case you know how to do ), make a small script with geany or leafpad :

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
vlc

make it executable and run it after vlc install.....so you can run vlc as root .
Quote:
Also, it seems I don't have root access to other drives I plugged in as I can't download stuff to them directly, how to gain access to usb drives with root privileges?

I think open your drives with Thunar would help .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
belham2

Joined: 15 Aug 2016
Posts: 1305

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul 2017, 04:19    Post subject:  

jss83 wrote:
. And how to install the .pet files?




Hi jss81,

Following backi's advice is good. There's also another method that doesn't involve any conversion when dealing with .pets.

1) Just download the .pet into the DDog.

2) Use Uextract or Xarchiver to extract it there to its directory

3) open it up, and open yourself another filemanager window, and

4) manually place things from the .pet into the respective folders in your own filemanager


Voila', you're done. This works for about 99% of every .pet, though you will come across a few where you have to place certain things (like games, or libs, or certain bins) into their correct but different place in a DDog. Doing this all manually will teach you how DDog's structure is different from the Puppy's, and you will learn (with a little trial & error) where to place everything properly Wink

Good luck!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 10 [143 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.2160s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0519s) ][ GZIP on ]