Can Puppy run on Lenovo Laptop G40-30?

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

#16 Post by mikeslr »

Hi sefcruz,

With the exception of FatDog, newer Puppies are built using the binaries (nuts, bolts & moving parts so to speak) created for other Linux distros. As examples, Tahrpup uses those from Ubuntu Trusty Tahr, while XenialPup uses those from Ubuntu Xenial Xerus. "DebianDogs" are created by repackaging the operating systems of debianlive (debian constructed to run from a USB-stick -- sort of like a Frugal rather than full install). Ubuntu distros, themselves, are to a large extent modifications of debian Linux. So, in creating MintPup (Trusty LTS) saintless was able to develop an essentially debian operating system which by default would access Ubuntu Trusty Tahr's repositories, but could be modified to access the repositories of Linux Mint (which is also sort of a debian/ubuntu hybrid). Unfortunately, MintPup is only a 32-bit operating system. It is becoming increasingly difficult to obtain web-browsers which do not require that they be run from a 64-bit system. Currently, work-arounds and special builds are available for Puppies. But for how long, your guess is as good as mine.

Why tell you about the above. Because in trying to find a Puppy or debiandog which will function properly on your computer it often is helpful to know what other Linux distros and which versions of those distros provided satisfactory performance.

So I googled "Linux Lenovo G40-30". I could only find one report of a version of Linux providing satisfactory performance. https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/view/23674 It was for LinuxMint 17.1. MintPup, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 430#858430 would be the closest OS supported on this Forum to that OS.

I also found reports of some people having difficulty under Trusty Tahr setting up wireless. That actually is encouraging as it indicates they did not have difficulty with keyboards and other input devices. Problems with wifi, if they arise, can be addressed once you have an OS which otherwise functions.

As bigpup has already advised, I'd suggest that you try Xenialpup and the latest version of Tahrpup. It is unlikely that firmware for newer computers included in TrustyTahr/Tahrpup was not included in Xenial Xerus/Xenialpup.

I'd leave trying Slackos to last. I could find no reports, good or bad, about running the G40-30 under Slackware, whose binaries are used in Slacko. Slackware, in general, is very conservative about adding to its base system; and sometimes expects users to 'compile' things which Ubuntu simply provides.

Before trying Slackos, I'd see if you can obtain satisfactory performance form XenialDog or DebianDog - Jessie. Jessie was the debian version which played some part in the creation of LinuxMint 17.1. Debian -Stretch has only recently been published as "Stable" and DebianDog -Stretch hasn't been extensively tested yet. You'll find links to the 'DebianDog' ISOs on the Project Subforum. I didn't provide links as there are several versions, both 32 and 64 bit.

mikesLr

peterw

Another thought

#17 Post by peterw »

You have Windows installed on the laptop. When you switched off to try Puppy did you power it off properly or did you put it into a hibernate or suspend mode? It needs to start from a power off state.