Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 14:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
(Far faster) Firefox 55 due in August
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
labbe5

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 13:22    Post subject:  (Far faster) Firefox 55 due in August  

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/07/firefox-55-quantum-flow-tabs?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Have a look at the graphs that compare previous versions of the popular browser with Firefox 55 (due in August) in terms of memory usage and handling large number of tabs.

Progress has been possible thanks to Quantum Flow, Mozilla engineering project to fine-tune and tweak the browser’s overall performance., multi-process mode http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/06/firefox-54-now-available-in-ubuntu and Photon UI improvements http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/sneak-peek-firefox-photon-linux

“more effort is being put into making Firefox fast than I’ve seen since… well, since I’ve been working on Firefox. And I’ve been at Mozilla for more than a decade.”
spiritwild

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 18:29    Post subject:  

I was using Firefox for years. Lately, it began to become much slower than the chromium based browsers. Even "light" was slow. I started using Iron and slimjet and the page load times were 3 to 4 times faster. Not to mention that pulse audio issue that had to be worked through.

It may be my system, maybe not. When they update, I'll check it out and compare.

After I posted, I went to the link. If they can pull off those kind of gains and not mess up everything else, I'll be more than impressed. Very Happy
Moat

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 21:34    Post subject:  

spiritwild wrote:
If they can pull off those kind of gains and not mess up everything else, I'll be more than impressed.

Problem is, Firefox will soon be dropping the long-standing API on which the entire, huge and wonderful addon ecosystem has been built, rendering most (all?) of them incompatible/unusable - which entirely eliminates the one true advantage Firefox has always held over other browsers; extensibility/ability to customize. It's destined to become just another, immature Chrome "wannabe". Crying or Very sad Extremely narrow-sighted on Mozilla's part, and very well spelling it's death knell.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-changes-firefox-apis-developers-unhappy/

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2016/11/23/add-ons-in-2017/comment-page-1/

Not sure what I'm going to do at that point... only hoping Palemoon continues in development of it's older, saner Firefox architecture - including support of the huge mature array of those old mainstay addons. Maybe the FF fallout will lead a mass migration to Palemoon, and therefore potentially more support for keeping Palemoon up-to-date and rolling along...

Bob
spiritwild

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 22:08    Post subject:  

I just wish the chromium browsers had the update features that Firefox has.
I don't mind the manual updates but I'd love them all to have the simplicity that palemoon has....... Click, update, done.

Then again, I'd love to buy a new car with the quality and simplicity of my 87 bronco II
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 22:31    Post subject:  

spiritwild wrote:

Then again, I'd love to buy a new car with the quality and simplicity of my 87 bronco II

Which reminded me about something which occasionally crosses my mind. So, I've been forced to upgrade to a car with power windows. Following the motto, "Be Prepared" I used to know what to do in this scenario, hoping I'd never have to put it to the test. Your car has been forced into a river and is sinking. The work-around used to be, crank down the window and get out. But now you have power shatter-proof windows which depend on electricity to be lowered, and the water from the river has shorted out the electricty. How the fxxk do you get out of the car?

I'll try not to dwell on that tonight while trying to fall asleep. Have a good night troops. Laughing

mikesLr
dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 22:46    Post subject:  

mikeslr wrote:
spiritwild wrote:

Which reminded me about something which occasionally crosses my mind. So, I've been forced to upgrade to a car with power windows. Following the motto, "Be Prepared" I used to know what to do in this scenario, hoping I'd never have to put it to the test. Your car has been forced into a river and is sinking. The work-around used to be, crank down the window and get out. But now you have power shatter-proof windows which depend on electricity to be lowered, and the water from the river has shorted out the electricty. How the fxxk do you get out of the car?

I'll try not to dwell on that tonight while trying to fall asleep. Have a good night troops. Laughing

mikesLr

Buy a car window breaking tool. Like this one. . .

https://www.amazon.com/Lifehammer-LH-RET-O1-Emergency-Tool-Orange/dp/B000BN3A4Y

They usually have a seatbelt cutter too. They have keychain ones, ones made to clip on your sun visor, ones with builtin flashlights, and ones shaped like pens to carry in your front pocket. Best $10 or so you can spend on your car.

edit: the official name is "window punch". Google that and you'll see many shapes and sizes. They all work, glass isn't very tough against a pointy piece of hardened steel.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul 2017, 23:14    Post subject:  

Thanks dancytron, I'll sleep better tonight. Very Happy

mikesLr
spiritwild

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 07:55    Post subject:  

Now I'm curious if my bronco would sink or bob along like a half full coke bottle.?

Hmmmm Idea
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 09:34    Post subject:  

spiritwild wrote:
Now I'm curious if my bronco would sink or bob along like a half full coke bottle.?

Hmmmm Idea

If you drive forward into water:

The engine will drop below the water fast.
Water will rush in and the bronco will "go down by the bow" just like the Titanic.
Lightfoot won't write "The sinking of the Bronco"
Nobody will turn it into a movie.
Moat

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 14:21    Post subject:  

Moose On The Loose wrote:

Laughing Laughing "That good truck and true, was a bone to be chewed..." Laughing

Bob
belham2

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 15:38    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
Moose On The Loose wrote:

Laughing Laughing "That good truck and true, was a bone to be chewed..." Laughing

Bob

"Kick it around, take it to town
Try to defy what you feel inside
You better be strong
Your Bronco belongs to us...." Wink
Moat

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 16:09    Post subject:  

Ah, Gordon... how dare we so desecrate such a masterful songwriter?!? Embarassed

Razz

My, my - how we wandered off-topic, here... Shocked

Bob
musher0

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jul 2017, 23:46    Post subject:  

"Superior, they said,
Never gives up her dead
When the gales of November
come early."

That ship was the Edmund Fitzgerald, a laker, not the Titanic.
And the title of the song is "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".
(You guys must have leaking RAM! Wink )

Truly tragic episode, though.

~~~~~~~~~~~
So the "gales of November" will hit FF 55, you think?

« Il ne faut pas multiplier les entités logiques sans nécessité. » (Ockham)
8Geee

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul 2017, 02:46    Post subject:  

Firefox is already dead, they've long since fired the dev.s. The rant posts subside 3 days later, with a straggler or two in Dec. '16. The illness that leads to their death started with failure to back-port security risks... lets make a new version. Just like a drug-addict behaves, until it all spirals out of control.

8Geee

Linux user #498913
labbe5

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug 2017, 11:09    Post subject: legacy addons and Firefox 57
Subject description: a review of Firefox 55

Legacy add-ons aren’t going to work in Firefox 57, which is due later this year.

Using Firefox 55, you may have discovered Legacy next to each of your addons. Unfortunately, they are to be deprecated and will not work in Firefox 57.
The good news is : if they do that, it is for enhancing security, and addon developers should adapt to the new Firefox.

Until now you’ve needed to either disable the “Ubufox” add-on or force enable Firefox multiprocess mode manually.

No longer; Ubufox adds the appropriate flags to let Firefox know that it plays nicely with multiprocess mode. This means, finally, all Ubuntu users can theoretically benefit from a better, faster browsing experience.

This is good news, but for power users.

Full review :
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/firefox-55-upgrade-finally-rolling-ubuntu-sure-update?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG%21+Ubuntu%21%29

Addons for Firefox :
Lately, i was very annoyed with notifications. I looked around the internet, and discovered a way to stop notifications altogether :
go to about:config and type notifications in search bar.
Then look for dom.webnotifications.enabled double click and the value will change to false, stoping all web notifications.

Wayback Machine by Internet Archive and Archive URL, both useful to access archives from Internet Archive, and access dead websites (404) via Internet Archive services.
Page 1 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: