puppy and hdmi video/audio

Booting, installing, newbie
john brush

puppy and hdmi video/audio

#1 Post by john brush »

just downloaded the latest 64 bit slackware and burned a dvd

my windows desktop uses hdmi audio video as in my big screen tv. the video is great, the audio is great as well.

puppy does not recognize hdmi tv at boot from the dvd.... :-(
can I know how to boot using my LG tv as the monitor?

also, the key to the universe please? what i s the login username and password?

does puppy have issues with hdmi audio? need to know before i get too deep into setup

used puppy for years and want to get back into linux and tell billy g where to get off :-) goota hate windows.....

thanks,
John

perdido

Re: puppy and hdmi video/audio

#2 Post by perdido »

john brush wrote:just downloaded the latest 64 bit slackware and burned a dvd

my windows desktop uses hdmi audio video as in my big screen tv. the video is great, the audio is great as well.

does puppy have issues with hdmi audio? need to know before i get too deep into setup

used puppy for years and want to get back into linux and tell billy g where to get off :-) goota hate windows.....

thanks,
John
Hi John,
Welcome to puppyville!

When you write slackware do you mean slacko? If slacko then what version?

You may need to upgrade the video card driver to get hdmi out to external monitor. Would you know the video card model?

The login for puppy
Login: root
Password: woofwoof

I'm not a slacko user, just getting the discussion moving in the right direction.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Every Puppy version I've tried for some years has automatically known how to recognize and use a monitor from the HDMI port without me doing a thing. I've never been able to get the audio to work from the HDMI port though. That's no great loss, since the speakers in monitors all suck.

john brush

#4 Post by john brush »

Flash wrote:Every Puppy version I've tried for some years has automatically known how to recognize and use a monitor from the HDMI port without me doing a thing. I've never been able to get the audio to work from the HDMI port though. That's no great loss, since the speakers in monitors all suck.
thank you for the insight :-) when I ask questions I strive to give all the details I can and it looks tome like I mentioned that my pc easily uses HDMI to a flat screen, and that the audio is amazing.

I do have to ask for help because the puppy DVD boot does not find the HDMI video, so not every puppy version automatically recognizes the HDMI port, or I would not be asking for your time :-)

so unless the audio works just like with my win7 desktop through HDMI, no point in even trying :-( do't know how I would get audio from the PC. its an LG tv and no audio input... :-(

bummer, but thanks

thanks

john brush

Re: puppy and hdmi video/audio

#5 Post by john brush »

perdido wrote:
john brush wrote:just downloaded the latest 64 bit slackware and burned a dvd

thanks,
John
Hi John,
Welcome to puppyville!

When you write slackware do you mean slacko? If slacko then what version?

sorry, I though all would know what is on the download page. is not slacko short for slackware? :-)

I have slacko 6.3

You may need to upgrade the video card driver to get hdmi out to external monitor. Would you know the video card model?

I was hoping that since the video card i sis okay for HDMI when I run win7 on that machine, that if I booted puppy, on it , it would find hdmi as well...l. its an intel video adapter. don't see much more detail..

The login for puppy
Login: root
Password: woofwoof

I'm not a slacko user, just getting the discussion moving in the right direction.

thank you for the assist :-)

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

For sound.

Right click on the speaker icon in the tray.
Select full window.

Try selecting and turning up some of the items not selected by default.

There may be more than one sound device on the computer.
menu->Setup->AlSA Sound Wizard->Multiple Cards.

If it list more than one device.
Try selecting a different one.

card 0 is usually the sound device built into the motherboard.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

peterw

Puppy and hdmi

#7 Post by peterw »

As a person that did have issues with HDMI sound and having sought solutions and read many forums I found that it is a common problem with Linux Distros and for that matter with Windows. It all depends upon your luck. There is supposed to be a HDMI hand shake routine between TV and PC for sound but they don't always do it correctly and which one is in error is debatable.

However, Puppy (I think all of them) with its Sound Wizard is one of the best at solving the HDMI sound issue. I will give an example with Mythbuntu. If the TV is on before the PC then the OS recognises the HDMI for display and sound (previously selected in the set up of Mythbuntu) and all is well. If the TV is off when the PC comes on then when the TV comes on you get a picture but no sound. Eventually, I remembered that Puppy used a udev action to recognise USB sticks and found it can also to be used to recognise the HDMI TV coming on and then I used this to restart the display and sound (restart lightdm) and all is well. With Puppy, the Sound Wizard /Multiple Cards lets you select HDMI and it is remembered so that next time you boot it will be HDMI and no issues with which comes on first. You have to manually switch it back if you don't need the HDMI sound.

A few asides:
If you have VLC and want to play a video then you can select the audio device from its settings.
I will add that I use a 5 year old smart Samsung TV and its sound is extremely good.

perdido

#8 Post by perdido »

I suggest trying ubuntu based tahrpup if its determined slacko is not playing nice.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.0-CE/[b]tahr64-6.0.5.iso[/b] (not a clickable link on purpose)

That is located toward the bottom in this directory
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... 20-6.0-CE/

All puppy versions are not the same and sometimes you need to try different versions depending on your hardware.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

I guess I'm getting old. :cry: The sound from almost everything sucks. The sound from earphones still comes through 5x5 though.

perdido

#10 Post by perdido »

Flash wrote:I guess I'm getting old. :cry: The sound from almost everything sucks. The sound from earphones still comes through 5x5 though.
5x5 is CB talk? Lol We used to say lickin chicken.
When I was a kid I would lay my head between my monkey wards speakers and couldn't imagine anything sounding better, problem was I couldn't go around with monkey wards speakers duck taped to my head without getting locked away :D

Now back to our regularly sheduled program....

peterw

Sound and Hearing

#11 Post by peterw »

Sound is good from the TV but these days many dramas have either bad recording or the actors try to hard hard to give what they think are authentic accents. Result is that there is often much debate in papers or on forums on the fact that people could not understand the dialogue. For us (my wife and I) we increasingly use the sub-titles to ensure we can keep up and not say to one another, "What did he/she say?" I guess in part it is a sign of old age.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Flash, I know you have tried this. :lol:
Attachments
index.jpeg
(36.78 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)