Just To Say Thanks

Promote Puppy !
Hunter76

Just To Say Thanks

#1 Post by Hunter76 »

I have used Linux on and off since Red Hat 3.0 days. I recently reentered the world of Linux after being gone for about two years. Wow, is all I can say. How did distro's that used to be so stable and small become so bloated and flakey.

Getting annoyed by this I decided to use Arch Linux. Okay, so we are back to the Red Hat 3 days..... I love the documentation they are keeping for it and appreciate the instructions. For this I say: Kudos!

However, upon install of Cinnamon I found it to still be bloated and without what I was really wanting to accomplish. Not wanting to spend more time to uninstall each individual piece. I decided to go to good ol' Debian.

I started the install of Debian having all three disc on hand incase they were needed. Once prompted to replace the first disc I immediately, popped open the cd tray and continued. Then following as before, the installer ask if I would like to scan another dvd. I of course said yes and am happy that the install was so smooth thus far. However, I go to open the cd tray and nothing. Now I am stuck with a half install with no way out as pressing ok just returns the "Open the cd tray and replace the cd"!!!! Ack! What garbage!

Finally, I did something I never do. I downloaded an iso image of a spin off Linux distro. Puppy Linux. At first I was horrified about not having the native support of installing directly to hard drive as the installer basically says "Yeah I didn't design it for that, but we can do". Secondly, the idea of a directory that would hold the complete install sounded like the old windows install of Linux. Scary!

However, I have to say upon examination Puppy Linux is genius! Great idea! What you all have done is remarkably smart! THANK YOU!!!

On a side note, does anyone have an sfs for Apache, Webmin, Postgres, Kodi, Samba and NFS? Looking to make a nice little home server. I promise to feed it doggy biscuits.

Sincerely,

James

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hello Hunter76.

Thanks for the thanks!

And welcome aboard! If you need any help with Puppy, just create a thread
for your question in a related section, and someone with some expertise of
the subject will post back suggesting a solution. We're usually pretty quick.

Glad you like Puppy! Glad to see you here!

BFN,
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

wiak

Puppylookalike Dogs

#3 Post by wiak »

Hunter76 wrote: I decided to go to good ol' Debian.
...pressing ok just returns the "Open the cd tray and replace the cd"!!!! Ack! What garbage!

On a side note, does anyone have an sfs for Apache, Webmin, Postgres, Kodi, Samba and NFS? Looking to make a nice little home server. I promise to feed it doggy biscuits.
Actually, some members of the murga Puppy Linux have taken official Debian and crafted a "puppylookalike" out of it, so also installs frugally to a folder of very small size and provides all the basic look and feel and functionality of Puppy itself. These are the "DebianDogs" (including Ubuntu-based XenialDog, which are also available from the Projects area of this forum. Since you clearly have a background in bigger Linux systems, you might like these "Dogs" since they certainly provide all the functionality/features you describe..

The reason I really mention the Dogs though is that it can be difficult to get very large apps like Postgres working with Puppy but no problem with one of the dogs since they are full-Debian dpkg/apt/Synaptics package management compatible. Getting these large server apps working with Puppy can be done (some have indeed produced sfs of such in the past, but these are not generally maintained so old software versions and personally I've spent days trying to set up similar in Puppy itself only to have wasted my time there - just takes a few minutes to install on the Dogs though, which also provide tools to create sfs of any such install if you wish to).

The Dogs are mainly provided with either Openbox window manager or JWM if you wish, though I'd go for one of the Openbox versions if I were you, since provided extra functionality with pretty much irrelevant difference in resource usage. XenialDog-openbox (my favourite) or DebianDog-openbox-Jessie would be good ones to try. You can find them here:

32bit XenialDog
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106696

64Bit XenialDog
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109476

32bit DebianDog-Jessie
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108535

64bit DebianDog-Jessie
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101931

Don't worry, by the way that some of these threads suggest the projects are "discontinued"... Their developers had a bit of a fight and tempers flared for a while, but in practice the Dogs remain actively developed and being full-Debian/Ubuntu-compatible are easily updated anyway. The above are LongTermRelease-based systems anyway.

wiak

Hunter76

Just To Say Thanks

#4 Post by Hunter76 »

Thanks Wiak! I will definitely try out the XenialDog-openbox. Much appreciated!