Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 02:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 07:26    Post subject:  

PeasyPort scans your network for open ports.

Your network consists of a variety of devices - computers, routers, LAN printers, NAS fileservers. "Normal" speed should work in general, but some devices like printers or wireless connections may need "Slow". If your network has only high-speed devices, try "Fast". Scanning Windows machines may require slower speeds.

The dependencies are pnscan and arp-scan.

Update: V2.6 has a Wake function that pings every active host in the IP range. This may help to detect devices on a slow network like WiFi.

Remove the fake .gz extension.

-------------------------
peasyport_2.7.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2018-12-12
Some code cleanup
gz

Download 
Filename  peasyport_2.7.deb.gz 
Filesize  4.81 KB 
Downloaded  32 Time(s) 
snappie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   27.12 KB
 Viewed   368 Time(s)

snappie.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Tue 15 Jan 2019, 08:10; edited 14 times in total
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 08:11    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:

@belham
I say "Good to see your enthusiasm !"
And you say "So, ok, I'll shutup now"
No comprendo Rolling Eyes

Fred

Hi Fred,

Wrong choice of words, shutup was not meant in the literal sense. All is good, you said nothing wrong. What I was trying to convey was for me to quiet my over-enthusiasm so the real brains here (you, Dancytron, jd, wiak and my Lord Commander Backi Wink: ) can work on the hard stuff....like making the script better.

I am just a tester, my scripting skills are too simplistic to help, haha Wink Was just giving myself a verbal reminder to quit pouring gasoline on the already burning fire, if that makes any sense.

I could never get budgie to boot. I'd get to the command line prompt (only thing, besides the normal stuff, I put in the script was "budgie-desktop", and apt pulled in ~380mb---gulp! Shocked---building it). I had tried your slim trick, slim installed, but once trying to boot, the system keep throwing up that white screen that says "Oh no, something has went wrong. Please click here and REBOOT." Hit that darn message everytime no matter what I tried. I even did a build with NO desktop, just to get me to the command prompt, then tried to install "budgie-desktop" again straight from the command prompt like I do on all my Debian minimal builds. This time apt pulled in 410mb, and I thought, hmmmm, that's it, it will boot now as it must have missed something. But, alas, no, the exact same thing and exact same message happened again. So, in my opinion, it isn't worth trouble anyways. As things stand, openbox, fluxbox, LXDE and XFCE run circles around budgie---it was just a curious fascination on my part seeing if debian-stretch would build with budgie.

On a completely different note, I gotta tell you my family loves dogradio. My wife has it playing on her computer when she's working out, and my littlest one, I walked into her room yesterday, and she had it on her laptop playing tunes from stations she had set up and saved. She now calls you "Mr." Fred Laughing Wink
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 08:27    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is PeasyScale updated to v2.0.

rcrsn51, thanks for the peasyscale .debs! I installed it in this XFCE build, it installed no problems and I was immediately resizing some images. Thanks again (also for the 64-bit version) Wink
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 12:23    Post subject:  

@Andres, I have added your suggestions to my list of possible options
(it grows and grows Smile )

There is a network connection check at the start, is your request because of suddenly connection drop out, or... ?

@peebee
Quote:
- would be nice if the configs could be external to the shell-script mklive-stretch.sh (e.g. like DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS in woof-ce)

I assume you mean with configs the BASE_APPS_INSTALL="..." etc.. to have them better outside the script.
Yes, might be good, any suggestion how exactly to handle?
Quote:
- can I only include packages from the debian and StretchDog repositories? I'd like to have a local personal repository to pull packages in from (I think)

At the moment, indeed only from Debian and Stretchdog, but you can always install a single deb doing:
Code:
dpkg -i <deb-package>

EDIT: Above not at building time, I meant when you've booted the system
Quote:
- how do I add some needed firmware to the build? (may do this using a squashfs in /live/modules rather than in the build....)

Maybe you don't use latest script, it has:
Code:
export FIRMWARE="firmware-linux-free"
##### Below a selection of firmware packages available (mostly for wireless) ##### 
##### atmel-firmware firmware-realtek bluez-firmware firmware-atheros firmware-linux-free firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-netxen firmware-ti-connectivity firmware-b43legacy-installer firmware-iwlwifi firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-libertas firmware-intelwimax firmware-brcm80211 firmware-b43-installer firmware-qlogic firmware-bnx2 firmware-misc-nonfree firmware-bnx2x firmware-zd1211

To create a .squashfs module for firmware (or anything), apt2sfs can be used.
Quote:
- how do I configure the desktop? I've deleted firefox from my build as I want to provide the browser as a squashfs in /live/modules, however the desktop and the panel still have redundant entries

Configuring the desktop is not possible from building point, if that's what you mean.
Some config files are copied by the script from github to the filesystem.
Better in next release I make the config for e.g. lxpanel more basic (no firefox launcher)
Quote:
- is the Debian kernel the only one available? what needs to be changed to use other kernels?

Yes, at the moment only Debian kernel supported. Maybe later in time I might include choices, not sure, it will be very complicated to do becaues of the two boot methods, (porteus-boot and live-boot)

About gpicview, I don't see it in your list, anyway, for me it shows in menu in Accessories > "image viewer" after install

@belham
Ah,relief. Ok, thanks for explaning your point of view.
Just wanna say more, If scripting is not your thing, doesn't mean you can't have ideas or opinion.

Fred
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 15:08    Post subject: New build -- FVWM -- couldn't resist  

Hi all,

I couldn't resist doing a fvwm-crystal with the buildscript, mainly because I've never used it before. Took ~19 mins to complete. FVWM-crystal is quite interesting, fast but with a bit of a learning curve, lol. Above all it is (imho) the most beautiful of all lightweight desktop environments I have seen. It is gorgeous, and the user ability of desktop theme & icon customization built into it puts most everything else to shame. Here's some pics (what I used in the buildscript is in the first pic's title---just takeout all the lx-related stuff when the buildscript pops up---my ISO build came in at 293mb; also know that fvwm-crystal will pull in pcmanfm, despite me wanting only spacefm, so be aware of that). Hope you enjoy the pics and happy building! [Edit: the last pic is what I assigned to the mtpaint icon, and when I click on it, that is what I see. You can add & prioritize anything you want, in your icon submenu, simply by bringing the .desktop file over to jvwm root's folder and assigning a number of importance to it]
fvwm+slim+spacefm+pcmanfm+gkrellm+firefox52.3+sakura+gedit+mtpaint+redshift-dogradio-build.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   31.98 KB
 Viewed   819 Time(s)

fvwm+slim+spacefm+pcmanfm+gkrellm+firefox52.3+sakura+gedit+mtpaint+redshift-dogradio-build.jpg

fvwm-menu-example.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   240.5 KB
 Viewed   826 Time(s)

fvwm-menu-example.jpg

Menu-example-2-icons-represent-submenu-of-your-choice-and-priority.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   200.68 KB
 Viewed   815 Time(s)

Menu-example-2-icons-represent-submenu-of-your-choice-and-priority.jpg

AndresC2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 17:47    Post subject:
Subject description: "dead" mounts

anikin wrote:
Andresc2 wrote:
. . . some question about this:

proc:device is busy,
dev:device is busy

this happen when not umount binds correctly.

that is better umount binds inside of chroot or outside?

how stop proc:device is busy or
dev:device is busy, after of a bad umount binds?
in console show, try lsof 8 or fuser(1) something like that. . .

I've had so many "dead" mounts . . . I don't have them anymore.

Rule #1: Once you've finished the work in chroot and done the unmounting stuff, * close * all/any terminal windows - very important!

Rule #2: (this step isn't required, but I always do it just to be on the safe side) Drop out of x and do startx again. Go to the chroot directory and if, for some reason there are still any mounted directories, right-click and unmount them manually. Follow these simple steps and you will never have "dead" mounts again. As for unmounting from inside or outside, I just follow to the letter Will Haley's howto.

Hello Anikin!

thanks for you help, I take care of that. Very Happy
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:16    Post subject:  

Hello AndresC2,

How in the end did you 'take care of' your dead mounts? What procedure or commands did you end up using?

Thanks in advance for the info.

wiak
AndresC2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:19    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
@Andres, I have added your suggestions to my list of possible options
(it grows and grows Smile )

There is a network connection check at the start, is your request because of suddenly connection drop out, or... ?

Hello Fred!

Yes suddenly my connection drop out, then start again debootstraping.

for example: Connection drop out! Retry apt-get install?, Yes/No

and not start over again.

Thanks.

AndresC2
AndresC2

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:49    Post subject:  

Hello Wiak!

Dead mounts! I just reboot because I did it in /root or ram Frugal mode so no problem. Start all fresh.

code from jd7654 work fine.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

mount --bind /proc chroot/proc
mount --bind /tmp chroot/tmp
mount --bind /dev chroot/dev
mount --bind /sys chroot/sys
mount -t devpts devpts chroot/dev/pts
cp /etc/resolv.conf chroot/etc/resolv.conf

chroot chroot
export LC_ALL=C

umount chroot/tmp
umount chroot/proc
umount chroot/dev/pts
umount chroot/dev
umount chroot/sys

Anikin's rules look very good, I will try for security.

AndresC2
jd7654

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 19:30    Post subject:  

AndresC2 wrote:
code from jd7654 work fine.

Heh, I was just copying your guys' code. Wink

Anyway, I get stuck mounts too, see relevant thread here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=963948#963948
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 20:28    Post subject:  

Here is a cut-down version of the Puppy PeasyDisc app with just the main burning tools. It uses xorriso instead of cdr-tools.

Note that PeasyXorBurn does NOT perform audio CD ripping or encode/decode functions. You will need a separate project like asunder.

Version 1.1 includes cdrskin as a dependency and has a new section for burning audio CDs from a folder of .wav files.

Version 1.3 has an improved remastering tool. The previous version assumed that the boot files like isolinux.bin were at the root of the ISO source folder. The new version allows them to be in a subfolder named "isolinux". This is how the Dog ISOs are structured.

-----------------------------

-----------------------
peasyxorburn_1.3.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2019-10-16
Improved remastering tool
gz

Download 
Filename  peasyxorburn_1.3.deb.gz 
Filesize  10.1 KB 
Downloaded  14 Time(s) 
peasyxorburn_1.2.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2018-12-13
Config file added
gz

Download 
Filename  peasyxorburn_1.2.deb.gz 
Filesize  10.04 KB 
Downloaded  30 Time(s) 
screenie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   76.67 KB
 Viewed   448 Time(s)

screenie.png

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 16 Oct 2019, 09:45; edited 8 times in total
dancytron

PostPosted: Fri 11 Aug 2017, 21:44    Post subject:  

How are the repositories chosen? I don't see them in the script and they don't seem to inherit them from the distro you are running it from (which I have changed in the /ect/apt/sources.list file to debian.us.*).

The reason I ask, is the the debian.de.* servers (which I assume are in Germany) are sometimes (but not always for some reason) very slow for me here in the middle of the U.S.

Would it be possible to let us specify them in the script? If not, could you use the deb.debian.org which is supposed to pick the best mirror for you?

Thanks,

Dan
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 03:10    Post subject:  

Typically to debootstrap you specify the release (such as jessie or stretch), the target folder and the download site/repository. From a quick look at Freds script, around line 151 has
Code:
debootstrap --arch=$ARCH --variant=minbase stretch chroot http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
so it looks to me that its pulling down the base system from .org, which I believe includes the default /etc/apt/sources.list within that which again is also the global .org based.

In Freds script that also pulls stuff down from outside of Debian, i.e. from git, that bastardises the standard debootstrap to include other stuff (i.e. puppy type scripts) along with changing the boot process (initrd content/style) ...etc. I suspect that is .de based stuff and perhaps without any mirrors is restricted to that location alone (???).

You could add code to edit the /etc/apt/souces.list to point to a specific named Debian mirror in a similar manner to how Fred adds external repositories in around line 220 in the script. However I can't see much benefit in that compared to just using the default .org choices because as you say that tends to 'automatically find' the best choice of mirror anyway.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 04:55    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
How are the repositories chosen? I don't see them in the script and they don't seem to inherit them from the distro you are running it from (which I have changed in the /ect/apt/sources.list file to debian.us.*).

The reason I ask, is the the debian.de.* servers (which I assume are in Germany) are sometimes (but not always for some reason) very slow for me here in the middle of the U.S.

Would it be possible to let us specify them in the script? If not, could you use the deb.debian.org which is supposed to pick the best mirror for you?

Thanks,

Dan

The sources.list is copied from (extracted tar.gz from github) folder dog-boot-stretch.
It's done like that to add also contrib and nonfree
Is now: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free (I just changed to being that)
The 'dog' repository is added at a later point in the script according to if architecture is 64 or 32 bit e.g:
Code:
elif [ "$ARCH" = "amd64" ]; then
sed -i '1 s|^|deb https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/amd64/Packages/ ./\n|' /etc/apt/sources.list

BTW, I forgot everytime to reply on what you wrote earlier about save2flash
I tested that few times by installing around 400MB of packages, checking the size of /mnt/live/memory/changes (is 400 mb then)
Ran save2flash, waited a while, then the size of /mnt/live/memory/changes was almost nothing.
And second time running save2flash reports copying only few kb's
So unless there's misunderstanding, I can't reproduce the behaviour you described.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 12 Aug 2017, 05:34    Post subject: Re: New build -- FVWM -- couldn't resist  

belham2 wrote:
Hi all,

I couldn't resist doing a fvwm-crystal with the buildscript, mainly because I've never used it before. Took ~19 mins to complete. FVWM-crystal is quite interesting, fast but with a bit of a learning curve, lol. Above all it is (imho) the most beautiful of all lightweight desktop environments I have seen. It is gorgeous, and the user ability of desktop theme & icon customization built into it puts most everything else to shame. Here's some pics (what I used in the buildscript is in the first pic's title---just takeout all the lx-related stuff when the buildscript pops up---my ISO build came in at 293mb; also know that fvwm-crystal will pull in pcmanfm, despite me wanting only spacefm, so be aware of that). Hope you enjoy the pics and happy building! [Edit: the last pic is what I assigned to the mtpaint icon, and when I click on it, that is what I see. You can add & prioritize anything you want, in your icon submenu, simply by bringing the .desktop file over to jvwm root's folder and assigning a number of importance to it]

Hi Belham, looks very nice!
I wonder, did you need to do something extra to make it start, e.g. use slim or... ?
As it is now, the default session in /root/.xsession is openbox:
Code:
exec openbox-session

I'm thinking of modifying that to several choices maybe (if ... then ... etc...), depending on what's installed.
Then could be that a login manager (e.g. slim) is not needed
It requires some study though, if anyone knows more about that, please help!

P.S.
There is symlink /usr/bin/x-session-manager that includes the commands for starting default window-manager, so maybe in .xsession uncomment what's there already and execute $SESSION_MANAGER:
Code:
export SESSION_MANAGER=/usr/bin/x-session-manager
exec $SESSION_MANAGER

(don't know if that works in all cases, maybe most)

Fred
Page 14 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: