Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 12 Dec 2019, 10:05
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 26 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017, 18:13    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Sorry, Fred, my post above was an attempt at Friday evening humor. It failed miserably Embarassed I didn't mean to spark a rational, coherent discussion of the merits and faults of any save/changes system. For me, there is zero difference between having the changes put in the /live/ changes folder, or if I had created a savefolder instead. Pickles to cucumbers, as they say. I just happen to like doing it in the live/changes folder, that's all. Again, apologies.

No problem, belham Smile
I saw your post as a mixture of humor and a serious misunderstanding of how the boot options work.
But I guess I had a serious misunderstanding about your intention Rolling Eyes

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 18:23; edited 1 time in total
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017, 18:23    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
peebee wrote:
The iso is uploaded to smokey01.com:
LxDD-17.08.1.iso

OK, took a while, but finally downloaded it.

Very nice Peebee! Great example of a relatively complete light distro that can be built from the DebLive build script. Familiar LxPup look and feel, everything seems to work. Never used Light browser before, seems fine, fired up Youtube video, etc. Even includes b43 firmware, thanks. Great start on LxDD.

Going to try LxDD ISO later, probably this will fix the screenlock problem:
Extract attached screenlock-fix.tar.gz in the frugal installed live/rootcopy folder. (so becomes rootcopy/etc/)

EDIT: Above worked in the build I did with the build setup from peebee, but not when booting LxDD-17.08.1 from peebee's ISO, so removed attachment.

peebee very nice, your LxDD !!

EDIT: and maybe just disable screenlocker in Desktop Session settings, if you don't want a screenlocker at all

Fred

Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 19:20; edited 1 time in total
festus

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017, 18:28    Post subject:  

I ran the script on LxPupXenial-17.06.00, this time, after installing xorriso and deps; PPM says xenial already has isolinux installed.

As before all the script building went as it should; it built the "01-filesystem.squashfs"(233.0 MiB), then when it was supposed to make the iso, the ending message on the terminal read:
Code:
OK
Finally creating ISO...
xorriso 1.4.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

Drive current: -outdev 'stdio:../DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is blank
Media summary: 0 sessions, 0 data blocks, 0 data, 2160m free
xorriso : WARNING : -volid text does not comply to ISO 9660 / ECMA 119 rules
Added to ISO image: directory '/'='/mnt/sda6/stretch/isodata'
xorriso : UPDATE : 24 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : FAILURE : Given path does not exist on disk: -boot_image system_area='/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'
xorriso : UPDATE : 24 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : aborting : -abort_on 'FAILURE' encountered 'FAILURE'
FAILED

Finished! If all went well, DebLive_Stretch-i386.iso has been created.
Also the required files for a frugal install are in isodata 'live' folder

Have a good day!

All did not go well--there was no iso created. Sad

As I asked previously, is there anyway that this stretch folder can be made into an iso manually?

If not, I'll stop with further attempts and maybe download peebee's iso from a few posts back.

btw, this is probably a dumb question, but once in possession of one of "these" iso's, can I unpack it and set it up in a folder like the other frugal pups? If not, how should it be done?

Thanks, again, festus
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017, 18:59    Post subject:  

Hi festus,

You can make a frugal install, the required files are in the stretch/isodata folder, see my post earlier:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=964779#964779

Quote:
Simple example:
Create folder deblive on ext4 partition
Put the "live" folder from the isodata build folder in deblive, so you get /deblive/live

Fred
jd7654

PostPosted: Fri 18 Aug 2017, 22:50    Post subject:  

festus wrote:
I ran the script on LxPupXenial-17.06.00, this time, after installing xorriso and deps; PPM says xenial already has isolinux installed.
Code:
xorriso : FAILURE : Given path does not exist on disk: -boot_image system_area='/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'

All did not go well--there was no iso created. Sad

The failure is from script expects in Dog Linux:
/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin

But in Puppy Xenial it is:
/usr/share/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin

You can workaround with:
Code:
mkdir /usr/lib/ISOLINUX && ln -s /usr/share/syslinux/isohdpfx.bin /usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin

Then iso created OK.

Only tried the script in Puppy a few times, and never bothered with the iso creation. Tried in Xenial Pup and it worked with symlink.
Not sure of other Puppy, and in other Linux the location can be different.

festus wrote:
As I asked previously, is there anyway that this stretch folder can be made into an iso manually?

Yeah, you could run the xorriso command manually from the script code if you like.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 04:00    Post subject:  

@all

Made some small changes:
- When accidentally trying to use not supported parameter(e.g. if made typo) e.g. ./mklive-stretch cli (should be -cli), the helptext will show now (previously started the build, but didn't run as it should)
- Now creates also build_setup.conf in the stretch folder (ready to use as config file)

mklive-stretch script (right-click > Save link as and make executable)

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 06:27    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
EDIT: The script makes a plain vanilla Dog or BasicDog. Then the builder can add customizations, eye candy and extra files, like what I assume Peebee added for LxDD. Right now that would be manual or scripted edit to chroot.
Future script (or fork) could maybe automate pulling in local (not in repos) distro customization files before final stage sfs creation.

The way Peebee did his magic Smile was by creating .squashfs modules in isodata/live/modules with configs and extra applications.
The main 01.filesystem.squashfs build he hasn't altered AFAIK
I'm not sure what could be changed in the script to do such things automatic, anyway it can be done manually now by adding files to the chroot or to add .squashfs modules to isodata/live/modules

Fred
festus

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 07:51    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Quote:
Simple example:
Create folder deblive on ext4 partition
Put the "live" folder from the isodata build folder in deblive, so you get /deblive/live

Fred
Hi, Fred, thank you the above worked. I am using the debian-9-live_Stretch now. It works well.

I haven't used debian since the 7 & 8 builds, so I have to dig out my old documentation and notes.

I can't find a way, or remember how to set the clock & timezone; can anyone shed some light on how to?

@jd7654
Thanks for the info. I'll try it if I use the script again from a pup.

Does the script run as it's supposed to, using it from the debian-9-live_Stretch build?

bliss, festus Smile
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 08:00    Post subject:  

festus wrote:

I can't find a way, or remember how to set the clock & timezone; can anyone shed some light on how to?

Lots of info (and different methods including ntp) around this post here (which is what I do):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=928657#928657

now also found this (has more detail):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941544#941544
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941581#941581

wiak
festus

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 08:20    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
Lots of info (and different methods including ntp) around this post here (which is what I do):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=928657#928657

now also found this (has more detail):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941544#941544
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=941581#941581

wiak
I'm a thanking you, wiak, for my clock/tz is now set.

I used these cmds:
Code:
change your time zone settings with this command:

dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

To let your system read RTC time in UTC standard, execute the following command:

timedatectl set-local-rtc 0

bliss, festus
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 09:16    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:
EDIT: The script makes a plain vanilla Dog or BasicDog. Then the builder can add customizations, eye candy and extra files, like what I assume Peebee added for LxDD. Right now that would be manual or scripted edit to chroot.
Future script (or fork) could maybe automate pulling in local (not in repos) distro customization files before final stage sfs creation.

The way Peebee did his magic Smile was by creating .squashfs modules in isodata/live/modules with configs and extra applications.
The main 01.filesystem.squashfs build he hasn't altered AFAIK
I'm not sure what could be changed in the script to do such things automatic, anyway it can be done manually now by adding files to the chroot or to add .squashfs modules to isodata/live/modules

Fred

Hi Fred,

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why is it, when we create a .sfs out of something we want, we have to rename it to ".squashfs" before it goes into the modules folder? Last week, i threw two .sfs files into the isodata/live/modules folder for one of the builds, the full LXDE I did (basically same as peebee but without the background and a few things) and I was perplexed why they didn't load like the "ReadMe" in there said. Isn't ".sfs" and "squashfs" the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding something??
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 12:01    Post subject:  

Because under Debian the init code scans for .squashfs files ... and loads them in alphanumeric sorted order ... hence the dogs tend to use 01- 02- ... type filename prefixes.

If there is a /live/filesystem.module file then that takes precedence and only the squashfs files listed in that file (one per line) will be loaded, in the order presented in that file.

Reference man live-boot for further details

echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 13:02    Post subject:  

belham wrote:
Why is it, when we create a .sfs out of something we want, we have to rename it to ".squashfs" before it goes into the modules folder? Last week, i threw two .sfs files into the isodata/live/modules folder for one of the builds, the full LXDE I did (basically same as peebee but without the background and a few things) and I was perplexed why they didn't load like the "ReadMe" in there said. Isn't ".sfs" and "squashfs" the same thing? Or am I misunderstanding something??

Yes, same thing but, as rufwoof says already, the script in the intrd looks for extension .squashfs.
But (as you might know) for loading on the fly .squashfs and .sfs extension is supported.

Fred
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 13:14    Post subject:  

festus wrote:
Does the script run as it's supposed to, using it from the debian-9-live_Stretch build?

Yes, sure it does, no LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick needed (like you did on Puppy), ISO creation should work.

Fred
festus

PostPosted: Sat 19 Aug 2017, 13:42    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
festus wrote:

Yes, sure it does, no LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick needed (like you did on Puppy), ISO creation should work.

Fred
Great news. In a few days, if I have the opportunity, I'll run it from stretch.

The longer I use stretch, the more I like it.

Thank you, Fred

bliss,
festus
Page 26 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: