Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#511 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Added to GUI "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version" option, very similar (but with some fixes) as 32 bit version shared here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 770#959770
I synced 64 bit custom repository much more with the 32 bit repo, to make a 64 bit Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version build also possible.

Didn't expect when I started this a month ago, that building a full 'Dog' would be possible :)
Inspired by what jd7654 found out here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 985#965985
(that way the Base Install field includes many packages)

Other changes:
- Add user 'puppy' (prompt for setting the password)
- Multi-user support improved
- The packages 'gnome-mplayer' and 'transmission' have version number in the name(different for 32 and 64 bit), now there no need to specify that number, so can be added to install list as just e.g: 'gnome-mplayer'

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

GUI:

Fred

jd7654

#512 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Added to GUI "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version" option, very similar (but with some fixes) as 32 bit version shared here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 770#959770
I synced 64 bit custom repository much more with the 32 bit repo, to make a 64 bit Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version build also possible.
Awesome! The script has now come full circle. A complete Dog construction set with many examples/recipes from basic Dog to full DD, and full flexibility for anything inbetween.

I did a 64-bit DD from the gui, added my usual exfat and firmware-nonfree to that. Also removed browser and used my firefox-esr sfs module instead.
Looks to be working great.

Yeah, that's a big package list! I was trying to reduce the full SD package dump I did before to a smaller parent package only list, but gave up on the script as my feeble skills were no match.

fredx181

#513 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jd,
The script has now come full circle. A complete Dog construction set with many examples/recipes from basic Dog to full DD, and full flexibility for anything inbetween.
Yes, turned out pretty nice now, lots of diversity.
Thanks again for your input !!
Yeah, that's a big package list! I was trying to reduce the full SD package dump I did before to a smaller parent package only list, but gave up on the script as my feeble skills were no match.
I thought of that, parent package only list, it's a pity you can't really compare with the other configs, maybe it's possible to make it as compact as possible, don't have a clue how though.

Fred

dancytron

#514 Post by dancytron »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Dan,

Can be that your network interface is other than eth0, perhaps eth1
If so, you need to change to that in peasywifi.
Nothing strange I see in the build conf that could be the cause of your problem.

Fred
No, its not the name. I tried a couple of different things and it made no difference.

I created another one with the newest script and same packages. Ethernet didn't work.

I created a totally stock with your JWM configuration (posting from it now) and it does work. Clicking the "i/f" button says "your ethernet is eth0".

So, there isn't a bug in peasywifi or your script, just something missing or conflicting in the packages I chose. Another mystery that may someday get solved, but unless there is an obvious ting to try, I am going to put it aside for now.

edit: it's not chrome or gksu that is causing the problem. I ran another one and only removed firefox and flashplayer choice and added chrome and gksu. The ethernet worked just fine. I'll try removing a few more things I removed in the config that failed and see if I can run it down as time permits.

rcrsn51

#515 Post by rcrsn51 »

dancytron wrote:So, there isn't a bug in peasywifi or your script
That's a relief. Open a terminal and run

Code: Select all

/etc/rc.d/rc.network
Are you still using bash as the shell?

dancytron

#516 Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote:
dancytron wrote:So, there isn't a bug in peasywifi or your script
That's a relief. Open a terminal and run

/etc/rc.d/rc.network
Are you still using bash as the shell?
I assume I am still using bash, I haven't done anything to change it.

It seems, that if I add synaptic back in, that it works (assuming it wasn't viewnoir which I also added back in for that build). That leads me to believe that what is missing is some dependency of synaptic.
Original failing version:

root@live:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.network
SIOCADDRT: File exists
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
udhcpc: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
udhcpc: SIOCGIFINDEX: No such device
Non-failing version with synaptic added:

root@live:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.network
SIOCADDRT: File exists
udhcpc (v1.22.1) started
Sending discover...
Sending select for 192.168.1.2...
Lease of 192.168.1.2 obtained, lease time 259200
SIOCDELRT: No such process
root@live:~#

fredx181

#517 Post by fredx181 »

jd7654 wrote:Quote:
fredx181 wrote:I thought of that, parent package only list, it's a pity you can't really compare with the other configs, maybe it's possible to make it as compact as possible, don't have a clue how though.
I changed the ddog.conf. Has much better overview now IMO
Kept the old one also on github, just in case (renamed to ddog.conf.old).
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs/

Fred

rcrsn51

#518 Post by rcrsn51 »

@dancytron: That's strange. I thought that creation of network interfaces would occur in kernel-space and would be independent of software like synaptic.

Does "dmesg" show any clues?

I'm guessing that dhcpcd works because it puts back the missing dependency.

fredx181

#519 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Dan,

I tested your minimal google-chrome setup without synaptic and for me it's the same, no network connection.
Found out what's wrong, it's the cryptic network names that newer systems handle by default.
If you click on the 'Names' button in peasywifi you'll see the cryptic name(s), see pic
The interface names are different for everyone.
I can't explain exactly why it happens without having synaptic installed, but anyway I noticed that the workaround to avoid the cryptic names failed because of missing directory /etc/systemd/network (the script creates a symlink there to force the traditional network names to e.g. eth0, wlan0)

ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link # traditional network interface names
Fixed by creating the directory /etc/systemd/network first in the script.
And thanks again for finding, you seem to have talent to detect hidden bugs !

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

Another thing, about chrome to run as user puppy, this works for me also

#!/bin/sh

xhost +local:puppy

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
That way there's no need to have gksu installed (however it doesn't make much difference in space used, chrome package is huge anyway !)

Fred
Attachments
network_names.jpg
network interface 'cryptic' names
(54.27 KiB) Downloaded 768 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 04 Sep 2017, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

frisbee

#520 Post by zagreb999 »

hi fred,
peasywifi is absolutely worst
wifi manager... it can not work...
tested many times...
please, include frisbee...
it is the best in linux world!!!

------------------
greetings!

all the best!

fredx181

#521 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote:hi fred,
peasywifi is absolutely worst
wifi manager... it can not work...
tested many times...
it is the best in linux world!!!
Well, that's much too easy, in my opinion, to blame peasywifi.
There are a few other possible reasons for a failure of getting wireless connection, e.g. not having the correct firmware installed etc...
Looks like you are missing the point about the purpose of this project.
It's about building a live system to include exactly what you choose.
So, go ahead and choose frisbee, wicd, or whatever to include in the build.

Fred

zagreb999

frisbee

#522 Post by zagreb999 »

hi fred
your interpretation is wrong...

that is not only my opinion,
but from linux forums...

regards.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/applic ... nager.html

http://antix.freeforums.org/ceni-wont-w ... t6784.html

rcrsn51

#523 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks guys.

@dancytron: The PWF main screen has an Info button. It would have showed you the cryptic interface name, which is a clue that something had changed in your setup.

[Edit] I stand corrected. The Info button runs the Puppy "ipinfo" program. It only shows the active interfaces. In your case, you had none. You would need to run Ethernet > I/F to see the cryptic name.

@Fred: Systemd is a dependency of synaptic. I wonder if omitting synaptic from the build has other side effects.

jd7654

#524 Post by jd7654 »

fredx181 wrote:I changed the ddog.conf. Has much better overview now IMO
Kept the old one also on github, just in case (renamed to ddog.conf.old).
https://debiandog.github.io/MakeLive/configs/
Looks good. Yeah, that is much better, easier to read and edit.
I did kinda get a package parent reducer script working. But I think that since the mklive script handles redundant packages just fine, it's probably better to leave them in the configs to show what is intending to be put in the recipe for clarity anyway.

dancytron

#525 Post by dancytron »

I tested your minimal google-chrome setup without synaptic and for me it's the same, no network connection.
/snip/

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today. I thought I tried the ens2 name, but maybe I didn't do it right. Thanks to you and rcrsn51 for troubleshooting this.
fredx181 wrote: Another thing, about chrome to run as user puppy, this works for me also

#!/bin/sh

su puppy -c "/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/user --disk-cache-dir=/home/puppy/chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000"
That way there's no need to have gksu installed (however it doesn't make much difference in space used, chrome package is huge anyway !)

Fred
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I originally tried to use su and couldn't figure it out. Gksu does take a lot of space since it depends on python.

fredx181

#526 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@Fred: Systemd is a dependency of synaptic. I wonder if omitting synaptic from the build has other side effects.
One side effect is of course that you cannot boot with systemd.
Btw, for info, with systemd installed, it doesn't boot using systemd automatically, it can be forced though by adding to the kernel boot command line:

init=/bin/systemd
Installing the package "systemd-sysv" will boot with systemd automatically, without it, it will boot by default with the traditional initscripts.

Fred

Doglover

#527 Post by Doglover »

Full DebianDog build using frugal.

I'm looking for the screensaver settings and set time settings.

I would like to disable the screensaver and set the correct time. All I see is timezone.

Very nice job, I like it very much. My main distro has been siduction, and it is very similar.

fredx181

#528 Post by fredx181 »

Doglover wrote:I'm looking for the screensaver settings and set time settings.
I assume you mean the screen blanking after 10 minutes. (there are no screensaver settings, btw)
I can be disabled by:

xset s off && xset -dpms
To have it disabled automatically at login you can add that to ~/.xsession somewhere before the last line

Setting the time I only know how to do from command line, for example:

date -s 12:50:05
Fred

Doglover

#529 Post by Doglover »

Screen blanking is now disabled. The correct time showed this morning, no code needed. Hmmm.

Thanks Fred.

dancytron

#530 Post by dancytron »

dancytron wrote:

/snip/

New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script
Thanks, I'll give it a try later today. I thought I tried the ens2 name, but maybe I didn't do it right. Thanks to you and rcrsn51 for troubleshooting this.
Just ran another one. All fixed.
fredx181 wrote: Another thing, about chrome to run as user puppy, this works for me also

#!/bin/sh

Fred
This works as well.

edit: deleted something that I haven't really figured out yet.

Thanks,

Dan