Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 00:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 41 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 14:51    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Thanks belham,
Yes, better give it up now, just can't find the device, I guess. One thing I'd like to know if it's not working for you because of porteus-boot (I suspect that, but want to be sure), so can you test live-boot for your Stretch-Build32-FVWM with this menu.lst entry?:
Code:
title Stretch-DDog-Build32-Fvwm (sda1)
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/ union=aufs net.ifnames=0
  initrd /Stretch-Build32-FVWM/stretch/live/initrd.img

It's without persistence, but doesn't matter now, just for testing (in theory, if DebianLive works for you, this should work also)

Fred

Hi Fred,

Just got the chance to sit down with this again. I tried what you wrote, and got back this:

(is there a space between "/" and "union"??...wasn't sure, thought there was supposed to be, anyhow tried both ways, with and without a space)

Anyhow, both times failed. First time without a space, booting ended here:

Code:

sda:sda1
sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI Removable Disk
Ext4-fs (sda1): mounted filesystem with ordered date made. Opts: (null)
random: crng init done
Busybox v1.22.1 (Debian1:1.22-0-19+b3) built-in shell (ash)
(initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

There it froze....

Then I tried with a space, booting ended here:
Code:

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
waiting for X server to shut down. (II) Server terminated successfully (0).  Closing log file.play deviceinit: connection to X server

root@live:~#

This was/is progress, right? It never got this far before. At "root@live" I entered "startx", crossed my fingers and the screen went black and the laptop seemed to try to get to the desktop, but then next second it dropped straight back to "root@live:~#". There was a lot of messages before this, all saying the same thing:
Code:

xauth: file /root/.Xauthority does not exist.

Thanks so much for helping with this, but it has, I believe, already taken too much of our time. I'll just use the sdcard in a usb port (with a SDCard-to-USB Converter) when I want to use my ddogs. Still, Fred, I know you're like me----this is driving me nuts in some part of my mind since the dam# DebianLive Minimal installs frugally boot no problems. It' be a totally different story if they didn't. Ok, come on, Belham, let it go now. Peace, tranquility, it's time to let it go.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 15:54    Post subject:  

Hi belham, thanks again !!
For what I wanted to know from you to test, it's obvious that when you use live-boot the device (your SD card) is being recognized (in contrary from when using porteus-boot) (but unfortunately something else went wrong for you at login in the end, don't know what)

For info, in fact DebianDog (or any variant) is DebianLive (live-boot), only difference for Stretch Dog is that "aufs" is supported (standard nowadays for DebianLive is "overlayfs")
The porteus-boot option is in fact additional.

Quote:
is there a space between "/" and "union"??.

Yes.

Again, thanks for testing, I know now that the SD card is not recognized with porteus-boot , but it is with live-boot and don't want to stress you any further, but if you have time you may want to try your DebianDog32 from SD card with live-boot:

Code:
title Debian-Dog32 - live-boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /DebianDog32/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/DebianDog32/live/
  initrd /DebianDog32/live/initrd.img

EDIT: Why porteus-boot works for me on SD card?: It's VOODOO Laughing
No, seriously, don't know, I guess it can depend on several factors that make it work or not, e.g. BIOS

Fred
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 16:27    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
but if you have time you may want to try your DebianDog32 from SD card with live-boot:

Code:
title Debian-Dog32 - live-boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /DebianDog32/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/DebianDog32/live/
  initrd /DebianDog32/live/initrd.img

Fred

Well, FLIP ME OVER & FRY ME UP LIKE A BIGMAC!!! Shocked

It worked!

You're a magician, Fred. New name: Fred The Magician Cool I'd have never thought to do a plain live-boot. I can assume I can do this now with any of my ddogs I want to run off a SDCard in this laptop's goddarn voodoo SDCARD-slot?
Debian-Dog32-live-booted-from-SDCard-in-laptop-SDCard-slot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   127.47 KB
 Viewed   600 Time(s)

Debian-Dog32-live-booted-from-SDCard-in-laptop-SDCard-slot.jpg

fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 23 Sep 2017, 16:48    Post subject:  

Hahaha, nice , but not magic, just plain basics !

Quote:
I can assume I can do this now with any of my ddogs I want to run off a SDCard in this laptop's goddarn voodoo SDCARD-slot?

Yes you can, don't know what happened with your FVWM install, if it is build with FVWM-crystal DE choice from mklive-stretch or.. ??
Could be if you have slim installed that you have to type: slim (at the point of login, instead of startx)

Fred
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 06:39    Post subject: Just a feedback, from a passenger.
Subject description: Windows, Puppy Linux, DDog, an expert now.

DDOG Stretch kernel 4.9.0.3,pae is it the right place for writing that booting with ISOBOOTER is easy. ?
Let you going on installing, dear Dogs. Just a feedback, from a passenger.
Not Live CD, Live USB, beside three Puppies
Add new user ? unfortunately i am the only one at home, with two computers.
ISOBOOTER.png
 Description   ISObooter multiboot
 Filesize   43.32 KB
 Viewed   461 Time(s)

ISOBOOTER.png

Last edited by Pelo on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 10:03; edited 1 time in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 07:02    Post subject:  reboot, always fresh.. Really nice !  

reboot, always fresh.. Really nice, how i like it, fast, nothing to do excepted typing setxkb,qp fr in terminal..
The perfect OS for people, nowadays, whenPuppy OS should be only for learning puppils, in Linux forum...
Upside Down !

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 08:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
Just a feedback, from a passenger

Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say Question
How does it go in your mind, something like this maybe ?:

Mmm... where shall I post today, let me see.. OK, in this thread I haven't posted much yet !
But what shall I write, mmm.. ah, I know something, off-topic maybe, or maybe nobody will understand, but I don't mind, the most important is that I have increased my number of total posts today and people know that I, Pelo, exist.
backi

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 09:29    Post subject:  

Quote:
Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say

Think you`re not the only one Fred ( at least two people now ).
Nevertheless ,one thing Pelos Post was good for ...... you gave me a good laugh Fred Laughing Laughing Laughing
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 13:49    Post subject: We all need a slightly quirky French Uncle  

Hi All,

I think Pelo's two posts should be read as one, the gist of which is how easy it is to multi-boot Puppies using ISOboot and, on point, Debian-9-Stretch minimal. No need to unpack the ISOs. See the screenshot. I wouldn't have thought of that. So, in its own right, the post conveys useful information.

That Pelo, who always makes it clear that he possesses no significant expertise, finds Debian-9-Stretch minimal useful, also serves the purpose of encouraging other 'passengers' to try it.

I don't always understand everything he posts. But that also serves a useful purpose. Perhaps the most useful. It forces me out of the mind-set of complacently reading posts. Smile

If this Forum was just a place for communicating technical information, it's unlikely he or I would ever have had much to say. I think the Forum serves another purpose. It is a place were people with different backgrounds, different interests, meet to discuss their individual experience using Puppies and Dogs. I think it a good thing that in such meetings they feel sufficiently comfortable to discard the mask of formality and project some of their individual personality.

I like the fact that the Forum is not just a place for "Business Only", but rather one where people from all over the globe can get together and chat, and sometimes find amusements in our petty differences.

mikesLr
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 14:04    Post subject:  

For our National Murga Treasure Pelo, this says it all:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111619

He is right up there with the best of all time anywhere since the Net was born. Think about it.....MikeSLR is on to something way deeper than we can ever truly understand and realize about Pelo.

He's a genius, and we may never come to understand how, why and/or what that is Smile
backi

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 15:08    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr !

Thanks for translating Pelos Post .You gave me some sense for the finer nuances .
I can see clearer now .
Sometimes it takes more effort to go under the surface to get some deeper understanding .

So.... Pelo .......keep on rocking Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Doglover

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 19:18    Post subject:  

All I can figure is Pelo thinks this is a game.
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 24 Sep 2017, 19:59    Post subject: what you mean and what they understand  

if you had ideas to translate french, and french reading you, perhaps there will be a gap between what you mean and what they understand.. Rignt now, it's me who is doing the most difficult. If something has to be precised, ask for it.
Merci Miskeslr, there is humanity in your attitude. Your knowledge is huge. And yet you remain humble (here there is a message behind my words)

First post ; isobooter installation (install is the verb to learn)
Second post : results at reboot;
A Isobooter works nice even with Dogs
B Pelo enjoys these Dogs.
C XenialDog remains the Dog useful for him

There is nothing hidden behind what is written, Something perhaps in your mind, But not mine !

Robert123

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep 2017, 01:55    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Quote:
Just a feedback, from a passenger

Pelo, maybe it's me, but I have absolutely no idea of what you are trying to say Question
How does it go in your mind, something like this maybe ?:

Mmm... where shall I post today, let me see.. OK, in this thread I haven't posted much yet !
But what shall I write, mmm.. ah, I know something, off-topic maybe, or maybe nobody will understand, but I don't mind, the most important is that I have increased my number of total posts today and people know that I, Pelo, exist.

Heh heh too true sometimes with Pelo then sometimes he says something profound.

fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 25 Sep 2017, 05:34    Post subject: Re: what you mean and what they understand  

Pelo wrote:
if you had ideas to translate french, and french reading you, perhaps there will be a gap between what you mean and what they understand.. Rignt now, it's me who is doing the most difficult. If something has to be precised, ask for it.

OK Pelo, I see the difficulty. I know, the result of web translate can be weird sometimes, and most of the time needs extra, extra translation.
Writing a few more words or sentences, to explain what you mean exactly, may help though...
And of course screenshots, what you do often. (Btw, you edited your post about ISObooter with a screenshot added after my reply Wink)
Also helpful in this case, a link to the ISObooter thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235

Fred
Page 41 of 103 [1533 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, ..., 101, 102, 103 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: