Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

#676 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have posted a version of ISObooter designed for Stretch-Live here.

rcrsn51

#677 Post by rcrsn51 »

There has been some recent forum discussion about the painting program azpainter. I have built packages for it here (i386) and here (amd64).

They were built in the Stretch environment, so there are no additional dependencies.

I have only tested azpainter briefly but it looks OK.

fredx181

#678 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Bill for your contributions!

Added unzipper and azpainter to repos (didn't test azpainter yet but looks promising)
Also added link to your Isobooter post to the first post of this thread.

Fred

belham2

#679 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred,

Just wanted to say "hello", and hope that you & yours are in good health & doing well.

You know, it still knocks my socks off. What you say? It's how----after struggling with my fairly extensive 'frugal' puppy kennel to keep them up-to-date, or fix problems that are always existing (or occurring), or heavens knows what that is always going on with them-----I come back to one of my Ddog installs in my Ddog 'frugal' kennel, and, it's like magic. She boots right up, everything is as I left it, no problems, and the simple grace of opening a terminal, typing in "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade", and sitting back, cradling a cup of Joe, and watching in wonder as the whole system is brought up to date. Browsers, security, programs, the awesome Dogradio, everything---all brought up like the children of Zues given new, invigorated life.

Truthfully, it is almost like Fantasy Island, lol, a bliss and welcome respite.

Below is my 32-bit 'Crystal-frugal' (have a 64-bit one too :wink: ) of FVWM-DDog. A simply stunning and beautiful piece of OS, easily built thanks to you. Thank you for making this (and many other Ddogs I've built) an option with your elegant build script.

Coming back to one of my Ddogs is like coming into a harbor in the tempest, a tempest caused by the continual roiling ocean waters of what exists in the puppy-verse madness. Their menus going astray, icons disappearing, dependencies kept in the dark, and on and on and on and on. It never stops in Puppyland. And, yes, alas, I will go back out to sail in those psychosis-causing waters again....trying to do my part, a small part, to help keep the Puppy-verse alive & well. All the while, though, knowing that the swift, fierce & rocksteady Ddog battleships protect the land and -verse bay. A bay of refuge. A place of understanding. A place of calm & serenity.

Hmmm, I should have been a drunk, an extremely drunk, poet/author in another life, lol 8)
Attachments
Ddog-FVWM-Crystal-32-bit.jpg
(31.12 KiB) Downloaded 416 times

backi

#680 Post by backi »

Hi Belham,Fred and Everyone .

What a Praise for "The Dogs"...... those beautiful and inspired Pieces of Art and Functionality.

My "Amen" to that .

P.S:
What about a Subsection :

"Poetry for and from crazy "Dog Lovers" ".... A Place for freely expressing ecstatic Adoration for those Gods/Dogs .
Or maybe even founding a " Church of the Dogs " ?

Master of Ceremony .." Belham2 and his "Intergalactic Research Orchestra" ".

Looks like this kind of Madness Belham`s enjoying .....is somehow contagious .
:lol: :lol: :lol:

wiak

#681 Post by wiak »

belham2 wrote:Coming back to one of my Ddogs is like coming into a harbor in the tempest, a tempest caused by the continual roiling ocean waters of what exists in the puppy-verse madness. Their menus going astray, icons disappearing, dependencies kept in the dark, and on and on and on and on. It never stops in Puppyland. And, yes, alas, I will go back out to sail in those psychosis-causing waters again....trying to do my part, a small part, to help keep the Puppy-verse alive & well. All the while, though, knowing that the swift, fierce & rocksteady Ddog battleships protect the land and -verse bay. A bay of refuge. A place of understanding. A place of calm & serenity.
backi wrote:Hi Belham,Fred and Everyone .

What a Praise for "The Dogs"...... those beautiful and inspired Pieces of Art and Functionality.

My "Amen" to that .
Except that the comments are as much a totally unnecessary, and more than a little ugly, attack on Puppy Linux as they are a declaration of appreciation for the DebianDogs, and I would be surprised if Fred was particularly happy with that slant to the comments either.

backi

#682 Post by backi »

Hi wiak !

Necessary or not.... lies in the eye of the beholder.

Did not want to hurt or degrade anything or anybody .......just trying to make some Fun and Entertainement ........(after all the hard work Fred and all the other Contributors have done ) .
To make it clear ......i adore those other Puppies too ...very much.

Maybe was a bit Off-Topic..... have to admit ......
Sorry for that .
Regards from Germany ! :)
Last edited by backi on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

#683 Post by wiak »

backi wrote: To make it clear ......i adore those other Puppies too ...very much.
And to make it clear from me, it is not that I myself wish to promote Puppy ahead of the DebianDogs either. It would be something of nonsense for me to do that since I have been as much involved with the DebianDogs as I have been with any Puppy (until more recently). Rather I respect Puppy and DebianDog(s) as entirely different distributions (despite some of the Puppy-like characteristics purposively adopted by the DebianDogs). But when thinly veiled negative remarks are made against Puppy on DebianDog threads they come across as more than a little bit like destructive Trojan horses, which is not what I personally like to see in DebianDog-related threads on the Puppy murga-linux forum. Just my own opinion of course.

backi

#684 Post by backi »

Hi wiak !
...... and more than a little ugly, attack on Puppy Linux ....
C`mon Brother ......Belham`s just a funny guy .Think you`re just somehow misinterpreting his Style .

wiak

#685 Post by wiak »

backi wrote:Hi wiak !
...... and more than a little ugly, attack on Puppy Linux ....
C`mon Brother ......Belham`s just a funny guy .Think you`re just somehow misinterpreting his Style .
Okay, let's just assume that is the case then. I'd be happy to think that's all it is.

wiak

fredx181

#686 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:
backi wrote: To make it clear ......i adore those other Puppies too ...very much.
And to make it clear from me, it is not that I myself wish to promote Puppy ahead of the DebianDogs either. It would be something of nonsense for me to do that since I have been as much involved with the DebianDogs as I have been with any Puppy (until more recently). Rather I respect Puppy and DebianDog(s) as entirely different distributions (despite some of the Puppy-like characteristics purposively adopted by the DebianDogs). But when thinly veiled negative remarks are made against Puppy on DebianDog threads they come across as more than a little bit like destructive Trojan horses, which is not what I personally like to see in DebianDog-related threads on the Puppy murga-linux forum. Just my own opinion of course.
I agree.
Of course I like to see that this project is appreciated (and belham and backi's humor :) ), but it's totally unnecessary to be negative about other projects. Even comparing is not constructive IMHO.
Btw, most of the appreciation should go to Debian maintainers, e.g. without e.g. debootstrap or live-boot and the Debian package management this project wouldn't exist.

Fred

belham2

#687 Post by belham2 »

Jeeezus, I didn't mean to start an international incident. Leave it to the genius that is Toni, eer, uhmmm, I mean, wiak to start something---making waves in my bay of calm---yet once again. Never understand that man, especially since his Mintpuppy is so darn nice. Oh well, you just can't leave it alone, can you, Toni?, uggg, dammit, I mean wiak....or you know what/who I mean?!

Hi backi, hope you are well too. You got me all interested in Spacefm again (saw your post yesterday, then the delete, haha). I used to love it, but then it drove me nuts because I couldn't set how I wanted "drag&copy" or "drag&move" and no "symlink-on-drag-creation"----essentially no darn popup with these three things----3 things that I consider necessary & puppy knocks it out of the park on. Will see what I can come up playing with Peebee's latest .pet on it. Darn good thing Festus posted about it or I would have overlooked it completely.

P.S. Fred, wanted to ask ya something----when I updated, apt-get held back peasyxorburn? Was/is there a reason??

anikin

#688 Post by anikin »

*An empty barrel makes the most noise*

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 724AAHvKIj

fredx181

#689 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:P.S. Fred, wanted to ask ya something----when I updated, apt-get held back peasyxorburn? Was/is there a reason??
I have no idea why, that happens sometimes, I can't reproduce with peasyxorburn, but for me it's firefox-esr held back, but doing (see below):

Code: Select all

apt-get dist-upgrade
makes it install (or for you, just: "apt-get install peasyxorburn" probably will do also)

root@live:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  firefox-esr
The following packages will be upgraded:
  peasyxorburn
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
root@live:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libjsoncpp1
The following packages will be upgraded:
  firefox-esr peasyxorburn
2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 48.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 11.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
Fred

backi

#690 Post by backi »

Hi Belham !
Not sure if i am going Off-Topic .
Regarding Spacefm (could be my favorite Filemanager ).
I used to love it, but then it drove me nuts because I couldn't set how I wanted "drag&copy" or "drag&move" and no "symlink-on-drag-creation"----essentially no darn popup with these three things----3 things that I consider necessary
Just realized a few minutes ago........
Looking into Spacefm`s > Preferences>Interface>Drag and Drop Actions ....
I found out how to create those darn Symlinks .......which i could not get to work before .
(but no pop-up menu like in Rox-Filer ))

rufwoof

#691 Post by rufwoof »

fredx181 wrote:
belham2 wrote:P.S. Fred, wanted to ask ya something----when I updated, apt-get held back peasyxorburn? Was/is there a reason??
I have no idea why, that happens sometimes, I can't reproduce with peasyxorburn, but for me it's firefox-esr held back, but doing (see below):

apt-get dist-upgrade
makes it install
apt-get upgrade will only upgrade existing things to newer versions, it wont add or remove things. apt-get dist-upgrade can make changes, add newer things, remove no longer used things ...etc. For some programs such as firefox-esr upgrading typically only dist-upgrade will actually upgrade it, apt-get upgrade will just report that its available via the way of saying that it was held back.

Its not a good idea to just run

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade

but better to run each individually and make sure you read the prompts before pressing 'y' as I have seen one instance of where someone just casually pressed yes to a prompt that said 3.9GB of programs/libs would be removed, and they were subsequently left with a non bootable system.

fredx181

#692 Post by fredx181 »

*** Update mklive-stretch ***

Changes:

- Should work from any newer puppy now without workaround as discussed earlier
(unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH is done inside script now)
Required is to install debootstrap pet, provided by wiak Download
For ISO creation is required xorriso and isolinux packages installed.
(if not installed, creating ISO will fail, but the script will still create the files for a frugal install)

- Works from Xenialdog 32-bit now (previously didn't work because of symlink /bin/chroot in Xenialdog32)

Download:
mklive-stretch script

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 08 Jun 2019, 20:01, edited 4 times in total.

fredx181

Whisker-menu modified version

#693 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod
This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred

belham2

Re: Whisker-menu modified version

#694 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi All,

For when built "Full DebianDog Openbox_Xfce-Jwm version", I made a (very much) modified Whisker-menu, e.g. buttons for Start-Jwm, Start-Slim (login-manager), Logout.
Also the profile picture can be changed easily (by clicking on it and select new picture).
Install from Synaptic or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-mod
This will replace the standard whiskermenu package

Included also in New StretchDog ISO's

Fred

Hi Fred,

Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL :shock: of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?
Attachments
is-the-whisker-menu-plugin-mod-install-going-to-remove-xfce4goodies.jpg
(70.78 KiB) Downloaded 1162 times

fredx181

#695 Post by fredx181 »

belham wrote:Uhmmm, before I do this new whisker-mod, is this supposed to be what it does? It removes all of xfce4-goodies? I use nearly all of the xfce4-goodies, thus I don't get it. I wanted to ask this because I've a perfectly functioning, super-stable XFCE64-build and I don't want to screw anything up by installing the new 'whiskermenu-plugin-mod'. Is that what you intended?? For ALL Shocked of the xfce4-goodies to be removed?
No, I didn't realize that it would remove xfce4-goodies, that's not good.
My mistake. I will try to find a solution for that.
Btw, on a pure xfce4 install this whisker-mod is not very useful, I think.
It's made suitable for the Openbox_ Xfce-Jwm combo type of build.

Fred