Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rufwoof

#721 Post by rufwoof »

I'm running Debian Stretch as I post this, and firefox-esr is under /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr

rcrsn51

#722 Post by rcrsn51 »

Code: Select all

apulse /opt/firefox/firefox
Good idea. I made this change and re-posted the packages above.

According to its developer, the apulse technique may not work much longer with firefox.

rcrsn51

#723 Post by rcrsn51 »

Unzipper v1.3 posted here.

zagreb999

file-roller

#724 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

file-roller is better, the best, fast, fastest...

rcrsn51

Re: file-roller

#725 Post by rcrsn51 »

zagreb999 wrote:file-roller is better, the best, fast, fastest...
Evidence please.

fredx181

#726 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Code:
apulse /opt/firefox/firefox

Good idea. I made this change and re-posted the packages above.

Thanks, added new apulse and unzipper to repos and added to first post useful info links section a link to your post and mine about apulse <> firefox.

Fred

backi

#727 Post by backi »

By the way .....
Maybe Off-Topic .........but who really cares .

...........does anybody know where mcewanw is hiding ?

"The King is gone......but he`s not forgotten "
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Y1wDdMYH4

belham2

#728 Post by belham2 »

Hi Fred, Backi & all,

Have a question about a 'frugal' installed Stretch-Build64-XFCE I just put on a SDcard.

It's for that mini laptop, Fred, that you helped me with a few weeks ago when I couldn't get any of the ddogs to boot on it. Then you said to use this:

title Stretch-Build64-XFCE - live boot
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/
  initrd /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/initrd.img
...and from then all or whatever Ddogs I put on any SDcard and/or USB stick, as long as I stick to that outline, they all have booted & ran great.

My question now is this: I had been getting used to the porteus-entries for booting, but the above is a bit confusing for me. Is it possible for me to boot the above to where I am running fully in RAM and can unplug the SDcard? Want to be able to unplug that SDcard (or USB) and walk away from the mini-laptop & not worry yet the OS is still fully running in RAM (don't care about saving at all---see P.S. below).

As it stands now, with the above grub4dos entry, Thunar & the OS lock the SDcard, and prohibit me from removing it. I thought I could since I was running "live", but obviously I am misunderstanding these grub4dos boot entries again :oops: . Apologies. And thanks for any help/tips.

P.S. There's no savefile or anything in the "changes" folder....all these dogs , when I put them on an SDcard and/or USB stick, I run Remaster-DebDog64 (which still works great, btw :wink: ) and then replace the existing filsystem.squashfs with the new one created.

backi

#729 Post by backi »

What about "copy2ram" ?

belham2

#730 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:What about "copy2ram" ?

Hey Neil.

"..There's more to the picture. Than meets the eye....."

You mean:

root (hd0,0) 
  kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 boot=copy2ram live-media-path=/Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/ 

"....They give you this, but you pay for that...."

belham2

#731 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:What about "copy2ram" ?

Hey Neil.

"..There's more to the picture. Than meets the eye....."

You mean:

root (hd0,0) 
  kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 boot=copy2ram live-media-path=/Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/ 

"....They give you this, but you pay for that...."

[UPDATE-----OK, trying this now:

title Stretch-Build64-XFCE  -  Copy to RAM 
 root (hd0,0) 
 kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram 
 initrd /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/initrd1.xz
..hoping rock & roll will never die.....[/b]
Last edited by belham2 on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#732 Post by backi »

Hi belham .....still using your crappy Web-Browser ??
you mean:

Code:

root (hd0,0)

Maybe .....not sure ........

Hey Fred you`re "The Man" .......save your children.......what`s your idea on this?
Last edited by backi on Mon 23 Oct 2017, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#733 Post by belham2 »

backi wrote:Hi belham .....still using your crappy Web-Browser ??
Yeah, the Bling browsers got some goofy crap going on with them..... :?

Ok, tried this:

title Stretch-Build64-XFCE  -  Copy to RAM 
 root (hd0,0) 
 kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ copy2ram 
 initrd /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/initrd1.xz 

But I am back to that problem I had before when Fred was helping me.....it just fails as it is booting, with the message:

^searching for stretch-x86_64.sgn file (we know it is there)
^from= cheatcode is incorrect, press enter to search through all devices
....then the booting process just rolls over & dies :roll:

fredx181

#734 Post by fredx181 »

Hey guys, you're mixing things that can't be mixed, copy2ram is exclusively for porteus-boot, for live-boot it's the "toram=..." parameter.

OK, I'll try to save you again :)

Belham, make your menu.lst entry this (if "01-filesystem.squashfs" is the name and is your only .squashfs in "live"):

root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/ union=aufs toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
I tested similar to this with SD card sdb1 and sdb1 isn't even mounted after boot and 01-filesystem.squashfs is in RAM (could disconnect SD card without problems), df- -h output:

root@live:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            997M     0  997M   0% /dev
tmpfs           202M  800K  201M   1% /run
/dev/shm        212M  207M  4.9M  98% /lib/live/mount/medium
/dev/loop0      207M  207M     0 100% /lib/live/mount/rootfs/01-filesystem.squashfs

belham2

#735 Post by belham2 »

fredx181 wrote:Hey guys, you're mixing things that can't be mixed, copy2ram is exclusively for porteus-boot, for live-boot it's the "toram=..." parameter.

OK, I'll try to save you again :)

Belham, make your menu.lst entry this (if "01-filesystem.squashfs" is the name and is your only .squashfs in "live"):

root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/vmlinuz1 boot=live live-media-path=/Stretch-Build64-XFCE/live/ union=aufs toram=01-filesystem.squashfs
I tested similar to this with SD card sdb1 and sdb1 isn't even mounted after boot and 01-filesystem.squashfs is in RAM (could disconnect SD card without problems), df- -h output:

root@live:~# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            997M     0  997M   0% /dev
tmpfs           202M  800K  201M   1% /run
/dev/shm        212M  207M  4.9M  98% /lib/live/mount/medium
/dev/loop0      207M  207M     0 100% /lib/live/mount/rootfs/01-filesystem.squashfs

Well, gawwwwddanggit,

That critter backi leading me astray again.

Something's going to have to be done 'bout that E.U. critter.

.........copy2ram my butt...... :lol:

P.S. Thank you, Fred, it works, just tried what you wrote.

backi

#736 Post by backi »

That critter backi leading me astray again.

Something's going to have to be done 'bout that E.U. critter.

.........copy2ram my butt...... :lol:
For everybody clearly to see ......just a helpless trial to keep an obvious dangerous maniac :evil: :twisted: to cool down. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dancytron

changing cursor themes

#737 Post by dancytron »

I am running DD based on the Chrome choice in mklive-stretch.

I wanted to add a slightly larger and bright colored cursor theme so I could see the cursor easier when using a remote control. I chose redglass and attempted to install it via the lxappearance (Customize Look and Feel in Dog Control) application.

It didn't really work. I occasionally got the new cursor, but usually didn't. So, after much messing around, I followed the instructions here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cursor_themes and manually changed the cursor in every place suggested for both lxappearance and XGD specification. These were (hopefully this is a complete list):

.config/gtk3.0/settings.ini in both puppy and root
.icons/default/index.theme in both puppy and root
/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme

The redglass folder with my new cursors in it was already in /root/.icons (I assume lxappearance put it there). For good measure, I also copied it to /puppy/.icons and /usr/share/icons. (I think that's right. Anyway, they were in one of those 3 places, so I manually put them in the other 2.). :oops:

Also, somewhere along the line, I ran "update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme" and chose my cursor theme, but I am not sure that did anything.

Anyway, new cursor theme works correctly everywhere now, so if lxappearance doesn't work for anybody, this will give them a place to start.

fredx181

#738 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Dan, added link to your post to the "Links to useful info" list at first post.
Pity it doesn't work out of the box by using lxappearance, I guess It's the consequence of having a minimal DE setup (openbox with some LX components added) rather than a full Desktop environment.
(and having a mixture of gtk2 and gtk3 applications makes it extra complicated)

EDIT: Btw, I installed xcursor-themes with Synaptic (redglass is part of it) selected it in lxappearance and further made it work by doing as you described. (needed X restart after config changes)

Fred

rufwoof

#739 Post by rufwoof »

Under etc and usr are default copies of files/folders such as icon themes. Those might be changed such as via system updates. Each user might install copies (or additional versions) of those ... which are stored under the users home directory. The system running usually has code/rules to load whichever it finds in a set order of checks i.e. if under home folder use those otherwise use the system default (etc or usr) versions.
.config/gtk3.0/settings.ini in both puppy and root
.icons/default/index.theme in both puppy and root
/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme
i.e. I suspect that If both root and puppy have .icons/default/index.theme then the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme wont be referenced. Or if neither root nor puppy had .icons/default/index.theme then the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme would be used.

If another userid is added then they'd pick up the /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme version.

So yes to install something like a icon theme for all users you have to add it under etc or usr so it becomes available to all user, as well as adding it to each user that already had copied the prior original versions (into their home folder .icons/....).

Themes under Linux is a pain if you want consistency as you have to consider providing/installing versions for each of gtk2, gtk3, qt4, qt5 ... etc. Personally I opted for Adwaita general window theme as qt5, qt4 have that available, its the default (hard coded) in gtk3, and its available in gtk2. You may also have to set the wm theme to look the same ... such as jwm

EDIT : see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111282 ... and the PDF file link within that.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-10-24 15-55-56.png
(52.21 KiB) Downloaded 1453 times
Screenshot from 2017-10-24 15-56-20.png
qt4 kcheckers
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 1452 times
Screenshot from 2017-10-24 15-55-33.png
jwm menu
(108.77 KiB) Downloaded 1446 times
Screenshot from 2017-10-24 15-54-59.png
gtk2 (pcmanfm)
(85.41 KiB) Downloaded 1434 times