Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 17 Nov 2017, 13:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 55 of 58 [857 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 Next
jd7654

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 14:22    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
New mklive-stretch:
mklive-stretch script

Didn't try latest yet but assume it is the same:

My favorite Dog now is ChromeDog.(probably favorite lightweight OS too) Openbox, PcManFM and Chrome gets the job done. I build from template/recipe in gui and then modify. I also make ChromeDog without Chrome...meaning I take it out of the packages, and instead use a premade squashfs chrome module added back in at the end. This way it easy to update ISO to latest Chrome just by dropping in the new SFS.

I noticed that if you use a config file, it does not contain the specification of the zz*squashfs modules from the template. I added back in at the end, but not sure if there is anything else that is customized and not in the config file? Anyway, some notation and/or functionality to include any zz*squashfs modules from Full Dog templates in the config output to feed back to the input would be nice.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 15:03    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
I noticed that DebLive-Stretch 32-bit does not write the RTC from system time on shutdown

Mine does. I can see the message at shutdown and can confirm it in the BIOS.

But my Stretch-Live is an old build.
jd7654

PostPosted: Sat 04 Nov 2017, 17:34    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
jd7654 wrote:
I noticed that DebLive-Stretch 32-bit does not write the RTC from system time on shutdown

Mine does. I can see the message at shutdown and can confirm it in the BIOS.

Withdrawn. I mainly use 64-bit. Did a few tests on another 32-bit machine and saw that, but cannot reproduce here on 64-bit machine with 32-bit StretchDog.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 07:21    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
I installed ntpdate, the same small client ntp package that antiX uses, but it does not adjust time on startup in StretchDog like it does in antiX. In antiX, time sync is invoked in the if-up.d/ process, same place and files that get installed in Dog, but it didn't work. I had to put a link to ntpdate-debian in Startup and then it worked fine with Ethernet and Frisbee. There is some additional delay in Dog where the ntpdate default location fails to acquire time sync from the network. But that change did not work with PeasyWifi, as there is some additional delay in that tool coming up, so adding a 30sec delay to call ntpdate made it work.

Can you (or anyone) try attached deb package ? (remove fake .gz)
(has dependencies: python-requests and ntpdate)

It uses python script that can detect your time zone and change automatically, see here:
https://github.com/cdown/tzupdate
To only show your timezone (not change), run:
Code:
tzupdate.py -p

Included in /root/Startup there's script "start-ntpdate" that waits until there is a network connection and then runs tzupdate.py and ntpdate.
Also it disables hardware clock access by setting "HWCLOCKACCESS=no" in /etc/default/hwclock. (so doesn't unexpectedly change the time in the BIOS)
So getting the correct time for your time zone depends ONLY on a network connection, doesn't matter how the BIOS clock is set or how /etc/adjtime is configured
Rebooting or restarting X will activate.
Of course this is experimental and probably conflicts with other time(zone) setting tools.
Don't know how well tzupdate.py works (if it can detect all timezones), but for me it works OK.

EDIT: On a "Full" type of build this will take only 2MB ( but much more on a minimal build without python installed)

EDIT2: New version v1.1.0 attached, changes:
- Instead of startup script in /root/Startup there's included initscript /etc/init.d/start-tzupdate, which calls /usr/local/bin/start-ntpdate
This is to support multi-user (normal user needs root access to modify timezone and time (so a script in e.g. /home/puppy/Startup wouldn't work, the initscript runs (as root) before login stage)
- Added menu entry in System category "Enable/Disable Auto Timezone", so automatic detecting/changing timezone and time can be disabled or enabled as desired (default after install is enabled), see pic below.
- After install the automatic timezone change will be activated directly (not needed to reboot or restart X)
EDIT: However when using xfce4-panel, a X restart might be needed to display the correct time.

Added this new version also to custom repos, so can be installed with Synaptic or apt-get.

Fred
auto-timezone.png
 Description   Auto timezone enabled by default, but has option to disable
 Filesize   38.55 KB
 Viewed   108 Time(s)

auto-timezone.png

tzupdate_1.1.0_all.deb.gz
Description  tzupdate, automatically change to your timezone and update the time using ntpdate (remove fake .gz)
gz

Download 
Filename  tzupdate_1.1.0_all.deb.gz 
Filesize  10.07 KB 
Downloaded  7 Time(s) 
tzupdate_1.0.0_all.deb.gz
Description  tzupdate, automatically change to your timezone and update the time using ntpdate (remove fake .gz)
gz

Download 
Filename  tzupdate_1.0.0_all.deb.gz 
Filesize  3.73 KB 
Downloaded  13 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:48; edited 2 times in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 10:57    Post subject:  

I did a clean install of Stretch-Live. The default mode was UTC and the zone was Etc/UTC, so the local time was wrong. (My hwclock was set to Greenwich time.)

I installed tzupdate and peasyclock. I restarted X to launch the startup script.

It located my correct zone and auto-adjusted the date.

PeasyClock had everything correct.

I didn't bother to do a manual hwclock update, but I'm assuming that it would have worked correctly.

-----------------------

I booted another machine that was in LOCAL mode and manually reset it to a different time zone.

I installed and ran tzupdate. It detected my correct zone and set the time. Using PeasyClock, I updated the hwclock in LOCAL mode.

On a reboot, everything was correct.

Very nice.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 12:49    Post subject:  

Thanks!
To clarify about what I meant with "conflicting with other time setup tools":
Having tzupdate installed, changes the behaviour when setting up time using Peasyclock.
Setting the time in peasyclock would normally write to the hardware clock at reboot/shutdown, done by initscript hwclock.sh, but it doesn't in case tzupdate is activated because hwclock.sh initscript is disabled ("HWCLOCKACCESS=no" in /etc/default/hwclock)
Also setting 'Mode' to LOCAL or UTC makes in fact no difference, because tzupdate doesn't care about that (just reads time from ntp.ubuntu.com according to the timezone).

Not sure yet, but I'm thinking of adding another script to the package (with menu entry e.g. "Enable/Disable tzupdate") that gives the user choice of (de)activating tzupdate, so that standard behaviour can be restored.

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 13:00    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Also setting 'Mode' to LOCAL or UTC makes in fact no difference, because tzupdate doesn't care about that (just reads time from ntp.ubuntu.com according to the timezone).

You're right of course, But if I was dual-booting, I might want to update the hwclock in the right mode for the other OS's.

Last night we switched from daylight saving to standard time. It was seamless.

I have posted v1.3 final Wink above with a few more features.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 13:44    Post subject:  

Time goes on and on... some say it exist only in our imagination, but the last pages of this thread prove that it it really exists, lol.

Thanks Bill, peasyclock version 1.3 added to repos.

Fred

jd7654

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 13:49    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Can you (or anyone) try attached deb package ? (remove fake .gz)
(has dependencies: python-requests and ntpdate)

Test of a minimum configed DebLive-Stretch Full Dog, install tzupdate .deb+dependencies failed. Ran it on StretchDog with already updated apt-get and installed OK, pulling in dependencies.

Worked fine. I had the test setup to boot with incorrect time and zone in default LOCAL mode. When tzupdate ran it fixed system time for HST.

I still prefer the default action of most Linux distros to update RTC whenever they perform a NTP time sync, so I added "hwclock --systohc" at end of start-ntpdate script. Works for me. Wink

I know you prefer the "live" operation and not touching the RTC, and that is your prerogative as the distro builder.
belham2

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 14:32    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Time goes on and on... some say it exist only in our imagination, but the last pages of this thread prove that it it really exists, lol.

Thanks Bill, peasyclock version 1.3 added to repos.

Fred

Hi Fred & everyone,

Is Peasyclock going to help with Trinity's scatterbrains when it comes to keeping time?

I've given up on it, actually, and just expect that every time i use Trinity (applies to the Ddogs too) that I'll be fixing the time correctly at boot. For Trinity as an example, despite using it's own "Trinity Control Center" to set the correct timezone & time, saving and rebooting, it still changes it either an hour forward and/or back of the real time----depending on its mood, lol. I know the bios is correct, because I check and because all the other pups & such are showing correct time. And everything is set correctly in /etc/adjtime and /etc/timezone, so....... Question

I just have real problems in Trinity and in most all of the Ddogs. I've used and tried "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata', "date --set H:M:S"--followed by---"date --set YEAR-MONTH-DAY", have even went so far (like jd above in the previous msg) to try "hwclock --systohc". Nothing works with these scatterbrained Trinity(s) and some of the Ddogs. Quite honestly I am so used to it now that I expect it is 'normal' behavior and if it doesn't happen, i get worried. Crying or Very sad

The pic below: I am in Trinity32 right now, correct time has been set numerous times (and I've checked in etc to make sure adjtime, and timezone are correct), rebooted, but after reboot it still screws up. It is showing OUR (Amsterdam) time as an hour ahead (right now, it is 19:13, but it is showing 20:13.....lol, it is maddening. Next time, too drive me crazy, when I boot in it will probably show an hour earlier-----and cause my head to spin around a few times like the Exorcist Laughing

Is Peasyclock the answer to these woes in Trinity/Ddogs??
2017-11-05-Sunday-evening.png
 Description   
 Filesize   175.69 KB
 Viewed   215 Time(s)

2017-11-05-Sunday-evening.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 14:48    Post subject:  

jd7654 wrote:
Test of a minimum configed DebLive-Stretch Full Dog, install tzupdate .deb+dependencies failed

Mmm.. that's strange. You could have forgotten to do 'apt-get update' first maybe.
Anyway added "tzupdate" to custom repos now, so can be installed with Synaptic or apt-get. Thanks for testing, looks like it works OK for everyone and suitable to include in a build by default.

Fred

fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 14:56    Post subject:  

belham wrote:

How about trying it out ?

belham2

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 15:09    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
belham wrote:

How about trying it out ?

Well I'll be.....

Peasyclock survived two reboots and correct time IS still showing. I don't know what to do with myself now... Laughing Wink
trinity-conky-clock-time.png
 Description   
 Filesize   21.05 KB
 Viewed   196 Time(s)

trinity-conky-clock-time.png

trinity-tray-clock-time.png
 Description   
 Filesize   7.39 KB
 Viewed   196 Time(s)

trinity-tray-clock-time.png

dancytron

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 16:30    Post subject:  

Sorry I didn't get a chance to help with the time testing. Family stuff came up this weekend with more to come.

Good to see it seems solved.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017, 17:02    Post subject:  

I looked at how NTP servers work and the basic function fits easily into PeasyClock.

So I added it to v1.4 (final).
Page 55 of 58 [857 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: