Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Jan 2018, 17:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 62 of 64 [953 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 05:06    Post subject:  

Hi Fred, Rsrcn51, Dancytron & all (Happy Holidays to everyone Smile ),

I've got a question, and apologies if this has been covered already.

I've an XFCE-Stretch-build, frugal-installed, that I've been running and using for (~4-5) months now. Today, trying to read several of the latest pages in this thread so I can somewhat keep abreast of things, I noticed this thread from Fred:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=975873#975873

Then I also noticed msgs from Rsrcn51 (on this page) about doing an kernel upgrade.

My question: on this XFCE-stretch-build of mine, I am still using:

Code:
root@live:~# uname -a
Linux live 4.9.0-3-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.30-2+deb9u3 (2017-08-06) x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@live:~#

Is it "best' (or strongly recommended) that I upgrade to the 04-kernel using the script, or is it ok that I stay using this kernel? I guess what I am trying to ask, is that currently everything runs great and I have no problems (and I keep everything 'updated' via Synaptic). But I am wondering if I "do not" upgrade to the latest kernel, I'll be faced with problems & issues down the road.

Thanks for any advice Wink
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 07:31    Post subject:  

Hi Belham, happy holidays to you too !

Quote:
Is it "best' (or strongly recommended) that I upgrade to the 04-kernel using the script, or is it ok that I stay using this kernel? I guess what I am trying to ask, is that currently everything runs great and I have no problems (and I keep everything 'updated' via Synaptic). But I am wondering if I "do not" upgrade to the latest kernel, I'll be faced with problems & issues down the road.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with staying on kernel 4.9.0-3 if all works fine for you.
It's still available in the stretch repos and I think if there would be security risk (or some serious other bug), the Debian maintainers would remove it from the repos.
The reason for me to change "upgrade-kernel' was to give support in case anyone wants to use the newest Stretch kernel.
(To be honest, I didn't investigate what are the changes in 4.9.0-4 compared to 4.9.0-3)

Fred

belham2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 11:19    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi Belham, happy holidays to you too !

Quote:

I'd say there's nothing wrong with staying on kernel 4.9.0-3 if all works fine for you.
It's still available in the stretch repos and I think if there would be security risk (or some serious other bug), the Debian maintainers would remove it from the repos.
The reason for me to change "upgrade-kernel' was to give support in case anyone wants to use the newest Stretch kernel.
(To be honest, I didn't investigate what are the changes in 4.9.0-4 compared to 4.9.0-3)

Fred

[EDIT]: Ooops, sorry, Fred, ignore this. I completely overlooked the fact that since I did a quick remaster this morning---man your remaster-scripts & options are light years ahead of puppy in terms of ease of use---that I needed to "reload" Synaptic. Haha, apologies again Wink ....all the programs, and everything else, are there now.......]

Thanks, Fred!

Had another question: downloaded some pdf(s) the other day, went to open them, and realized I didn't include a pdf program in my xfce-stretch-build. So I opened Synaptic but I am confused: synaptic (which is updated and has all the debian repos appropriately check marked, I think) says that none of the pdf prgrams are available for download (atril, evince, okular and qpdf). ???
no-pdf-program-available-in-synaptic.png
 Description   
 Filesize   182.49 KB
 Viewed   815 Time(s)

no-pdf-program-available-in-synaptic.png

fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 17:37    Post subject:  

Fix for "upgrade-kernel", new version 1.0.4, install from Synaptic (first 'Reload') or with apt-get:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel

Previously (with v1.0.3) could upgrade the kernel from 4.9.0-3 to 4.9.0-4, but once 4.9.0-4 installed it couldn't upgrade to a newer (if available) (sub)version of 4.9.0-4
(seems like Debian maintainers stay now on 4.9.0-4, and upgrade (if available) to a new (sub)version number)
Upgrading to a new (sub)version of 4.9.0-4 should now be possible with upgrade-kernel.
(e.g. I had earlier upgraded to 4.9.0-4 with (sub)version number: 4.9.51-1 and now could upgrade to latest (sub)version number: 4.9.65-3)
(with v1.0.3 it said "already newest version" which was incorrect, fixed now)

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 12:17    Post subject:  

Hi Fred:

I ran mklive this morning. I manually updated my version of the script to "-4" and it ran fine.

But I have a problem. I usually boot these from ISObooter which has always worked fine with all the dogs.

But this time, I get
Quote:
mount: mounting aufs on /union failed: no such device
cant setup union (aufs) - read only filesystem?

Any suggestions?

Bill
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 12:41    Post subject:  

Hi Bill,

Probably that is because the -04 version requires different aufs and squashfs kernel modules. (downloaded from github and copied to the chroot).
So the problem is in your older mklive script, if you want, I can help maybe if you attach it and make some adjustments for supporting -04 kernel version (probably only needs a few changes for wget and cp commands).
EDIT: See also here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=975017#975017
(download, extract and copy of "dog-boot-stretch-20171123.tar.gz" (rather than "dog-boot-stretch.tar.gz") is required for -04)
EDIT2: Not sure, but I think you use older (customized) mklive because you like the simplicity of setting the packages list on top of script, just wanna say it's still possible with newest version, just change the standard as desired on top of script, run:
Code:
./mklive-stretch -cli

Then skip the choice of DE config by typing 0 and the packages set on top of script will be installed.
Or:
Code:
./mklive-stretch' -conf

Will create standard stretchlive.conf which you can modify
Then:
Code:
./mklive-stretch -cli stretchlive.conf

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 14:17    Post subject:  

Excellent!

I updated my script by changing "dog-boot-stretch" to "dog-boot-stretch-20171123" and it worked perfectly.

I am now omitting Firefox from the build and replacing it with apulse. Then I just need to extract my own Firefox tarball into /opt and I have the latest browser.

Thanks.

Bill
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 14:31    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Excellent!

I updated my script by changing "dog-boot-stretch" to "dog-boot-stretch-20171123" and it worked perfectly.

I am now omitting Firefox from the build and replacing it with apulse. Then I just need to extract my own Firefox tarball into /opt and I have the latest browser.

Thanks.

Bill

Just a note, but just by editing the firefox-apulse.desktop file, you can put firefox and its profile anywhere (and get it out of the save-folder/remaster).

Built in update still works too.

Code:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Firefox-apulse
Comment=Audio in Youtube
GenericName=Web Browser
Exec=apulse /live/image/StretchLinked/firefox/firefox -profile "/live/image/StretchLinked/firefox/profile"
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/updater.png
Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 21 Dec 2017, 17:31    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
Just a note, but just by editing the firefox-apulse.desktop file, you can put firefox and its profile anywhere (and get it out of the save-folder/remaster).

Yes, nice !
Here's a similar setup, should be completely portable with apulse included:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=978010#978010

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2017, 09:42    Post subject:  

Here is the HPLIP v3.17.9 print/scan driver in 32bit and 64bit versions.

The dependencies are cups, sane-utils and peasyscan.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec 2017, 14:18    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is the HPLIP v3.17.9 print/scan driver in 32bit and 64bit versions.

The dependencies are cups, sane-utils and peasyscan.

Thanks Bill !
Added to repos, I cannot test atm, but sure can be useful for many people, install from Synaptic "hplip-print-scan" or from terminal:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install hplip-print-scan

Fred

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 29 Dec 2017, 09:50    Post subject:  

Hi Fred: I have built some WiFi drivers for the new "-4" kernel. They include the Broadcom vendor "wl" driver and my package of alternate Realtek drivers.

However, they need testing and feedback before going into your repo. If anyone asks, I will post download links.

Also, I have posted a new version of ISObooter-Stretch here.

And there is an update to PeasyMount here.

And PeasyPort is updated here.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 06:15    Post subject:  

Thanks Bill !
Added new peasymount and peasyport to repo now.

And I wish everyone a GREAT 2018 !! Smile

Fred

backi

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 08:24    Post subject:  

Hi Fred and everyone !

Also a happy new Year !

Thank you and all the other guys for keeping the "Dogs" alive and kicking .....they are getting better and better Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers ! Smile
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 02 Jan 2018, 09:50    Post subject:  

F3-flash-check uses the f3 tools to test the health of your flash media. It writes large dummy files to the device, then reads them back.

1. Mount the flash drive.
2. Run f3-flash-check from the System menu.
3. Select the flash drive partition.
4. Click the "Write to" button. When done, close the terminal window.
5. Repeat with "Read back".
6. Click "Quit". The temporary files are deleted.

If you just want to measure the write speed of a drive, run F3 for a minute and terminate it with Ctrl/C.

F3 can also be used as a non-destructive "bleaching" tool for flash drives because it writes random data over all the empty space on the drive.

Update: The documentation suggests the following strategy for some particularly deceitful flash devices.

1. Run the Write To phase .
2. Leave the program running.
3. Unmount, unplug, replug, remount the drive.
4. Run the Read Back phase.
5. Quit

-----------------------

The Advanced section runs the f3probe tool. It tests whether your flash device is genuine, and is faster than the full write/read procedure. There are some caveats:

1. It operates at the device level, not on mounted partitions.
2. It will DESTROY the contents of the drive!
3. You MUST reformat or repair the drive filesystem when done.
4. If you have lots of RAM (4 GB) you may be able to test the drive without destroying its contents.

---------------------

The dependency is f3. Remove the fake .gz extension.

--------------------
snappie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   58.47 KB
 Viewed   118 Time(s)

snappie.png

f3-flash-check_6.1.deb.gz
Description  Updated 2018-01-04
Optional non-destructive testing
gz

Download 
Filename  f3-flash-check_6.1.deb.gz 
Filesize  3.56 KB 
Downloaded  15 Time(s) 
f3-flash-check_6.0.deb.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  f3-flash-check_6.0.deb.gz 
Filesize  3.42 KB 
Downloaded  12 Time(s) 

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 04 Jan 2018, 17:05; edited 4 times in total
Page 62 of 64 [953 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: