Create Debian 9 (Stretch) minimal ISO similar to DebianDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
step

#991 Post by step »

Thank you, Fred, it's working now. I didn't need to install perl because it's included in the devx, which I keep loaded. Also, dpkg is linked to busybox by default. However, I followed your advice and installed the full dpkg from the repo. I added a few lines for Fatdog after the opening comments:

Code: Select all

if [ -e /etc/fatdog-version ]; then
slapt-get -i dpkg xorriso &&
  installpkg debootstrap-1.0.93-all-DEB.txz isolinux-6.03+dfsg-14.1+deb9u1-all-DEB.txz ||
  exit 1
fi
export TERM=xterm # benefits all Puppies

The two *-DEB.txz files can be obtained by downloading the .deb packages that you and I linked above, and converting them with the Fatdog64 right-click menu entry.

Setting TERM avoids a fatal error in deebootstrap when the current TERM value is not in the database of known terminal types.

edit: I assembled quite a few Dogs quickly and easily. Thank you for this Factory!
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Lassar

#992 Post by Lassar »

This debian stretch looks like it might be useful to
create a very minimal os.

I have played around with dcore, and it seems that
xorg is very bulkly and installs a lot of dependencies.

What is the best way to install a minimal xserver?

dancytron

#993 Post by dancytron »

Lassar wrote:This debian stretch looks like it might be useful to
create a very minimal os.

I have played around with dcore, and it seems that
xorg is very bulkly and installs a lot of dependencies.

What is the best way to install a minimal xserver?
Probably start out with one of the ./mklive-stretch -gui and choose either the openbox (1st choice) or jwm (3nd choice). Those are both pretty minimal, but you can look at the packages and probably delete a few. When you run it, it will generate a build-setup.conf file you can modify and run it again.

rcrsn51

#994 Post by rcrsn51 »

My-squash-loader v1.2 posted above.

rcrsn51

#995 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is an update to PeasyScan. See the discussion here about using compression with PDF scans.
Attachments
peasyscan_2.13_i386.deb.gz
(49.03 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
peasyscan_2.13_amd64.deb.gz
(50.03 KiB) Downloaded 149 times

Lassar

Failed to make iso

#996 Post by Lassar »

I get this error.

"./mklive-stretch: line 1115: xorriso: command not found
FAILED"

It said that the iso should have been made.

I checked the "'/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Debian/stretch/chroot/usr/bin" and xorriso is in this
directory.

Why could it not find xorriso?

It looks like every thing is there. Could I use iso master to create the iso?

It looks to me that: "apt-get install " would make a linux system way too bulky.

I changed "apt-get install" to "apt-get install --no-install-recommends" in the script.

This shouldn't make a difference should it?

dancytron

#997 Post by dancytron »

It is already no recommends. If you look around line 673 you'll see.
# Setup install without install recommends
echo "APT::Install-Recommends "false"; APT::Install-Suggests "false";" > /etc/apt/apt.conf
sleep 1
Just guessing, but I think it closes the chroot and creates the ISO with the underlying operating system. So it isn't the chroot that is missing xorriso, but whatever you used to run the script.

I haven't created an ISO with ISO master, but I use it for frugal installs. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I'd try installing xorriso and then run the script first.

fredx181

#998 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Lassar,

Indeed as Dan says, xorriso needs to be installed on the host system, on which distro are you running mklive-stretch ?
Also "isolinux" needs to be installed on host system for creating ISO.
See also above for how step did it on Fatdog, I guess it can be done on any Puppy, install xorriso from PPM and/or isolinux from deb:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... u1_all.deb

Fred

fredx181

#999 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:My-squash-loader v1.2 posted above.
Here is an update to PeasyScan.
Thanks again, added to repo.
Btw, I did some more tests loading squashfs modules booting with systemd and without, systemd gave me problems with some modules, e.g. sometimes crashing X, crashing Thunar (when unloading) or the module failed to unload, no such problems when booting with sysvinit (default for Stretch-live and Stretchdog).
Did you experience such problems ? (I assume you tested more frequent lately?)

Fred

rcrsn51

#1000 Post by rcrsn51 »

All of my testing is WITHOUT systemd and I have seen no problems.

Is there a difference if you run loadmodule from the command line as opposed to inside the script?

Do these modules work if you auto-load them at bootup?

fredx181

#1001 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:All of my testing is WITHOUT systemd and I have seen no problems.

Is there a difference if you run loadmodule from the command line as opposed to inside the script?

Do these modules work if you auto-load them at bootup?
Yes, I thought already you tested without systemd and good to know that you didn't have any problems.
I should have been more clear in my previous post, it's not that modules don't work, the problem for me happens only sometimes and only in case of unloading a squashfs module (and only with systemd-boot, can't figure out why yet, I can only recommend to not using systemd-boot when doing a lot of .squashfs loading).
Running loadmodule from commandline makes no difference.

@all,
Here's another squashfs-load program "yad_squashloader", inspired by the idea of rcrsn51's my-squashloader (load squashfs's from given directory) and my interest in the (very nice :)) possibilities of yad --notification tray icon, see also here what stemsee is doing with it:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 568#981568

It has in fact the same functionality as rcrsn51's program with the differences that it's based on yad and loading (or unloading) squashfs modules can be done from right-click (on tray-icon) menu (showing status "Loaded" or not)
Extract (NOT a fake .gz) in ~/Startup to run at login or just extract somewhere and click on the script.
Left-click on tray-icon or right-click > "Help" will show usage info.

EDIT: Updated yad_squashloader, added "no-overwrite mode" option to the menu.
EDIT2: Sorry, uploaded attachment again few hours later, "Refresh" didn't work properly, fixed now.
EDIT3: uploaded new attachment, fix is that if a module is mounted only (not loaded), it will not show (incorrect) as loaded anymore.
Also it gives message when trying to load already mounted module, saying it should be unmounted first.

Fred
Attachments
yad_squashloader.tar.gz
Updated 2018-02-10, see above EDIT3
extract and run yad_squashloader
(11.94 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
yad-squashloader.png
yad_squashloader menu
(112 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
yad_squashloader_status.png
yad_squashloader status tooltip
(80.69 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 10 Feb 2018, 17:24, edited 6 times in total.

Lassar

Puppy beats debian stretch.

#1002 Post by Lassar »

Even with Debian Stretch minimal install, puppy still beats debian stretch in it's minimal size.

Doesn't all the files get stripped, before a puppy is created?

The script needs to modified, so the files are stripped, before creating the iso.

backi

#1003 Post by backi »

Hi fred !
Btw, I did some more tests loading squashfs modules booting with systemd and without, systemd gave me problems with some modules, e.g. sometimes crashing X, crashing Thunar (when unloading) or the module failed to unload, no such problems when booting with sysvinit (default for Stretch-live and Stretchdog).
Did you experience such problems ?
Did experience this in Xenial Dog too ( because of systemd ? ) .......quite annoying .

fredx181

#1004 Post by fredx181 »

Hi backi,

Yes, it could well be because of systemd, what sort of problems did you have ? (e.g.crashes or failed to unload or...)
Don't know if you tried the "safe mode" option (=no-overwriting of existing files in the base filesystem), that could help maybe.

P.S. Updated yad_squashloader above, added "no-overwrite mode" option to the menu.

Fred

dancytron

Re: Puppy beats debian stretch.

#1005 Post by dancytron »

Lassar wrote:Even with Debian Stretch minimal install, puppy still beats debian stretch in it's minimal size.

Doesn't all the files get stripped, before a puppy is created?

The script needs to modified, so the files are stripped, before creating the iso.
It isn't trying to be Puppy.

backi

#1006 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Don't know if you tried the "safe mode" option (=no-overwriting of existing files in the base filesystem), that could help maybe.
Quite complicated .......some xxxx.squashfs Modules crashes X and/or will not unload ( in different Modes ) ,,,,,,,some do not cause any trouble (talking about Xenial Dog ) .
Became accustomed to it .

fredx181

#1007 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Quite complicated .......some xxxx.squashfs Modules crashes X and/or will not unload ( in different Modes ) ,,,,,,,some do not cause any trouble (talking about Xenial Dog ) .
Became accustomed to it .
Thanks backi, indeed annoying, I have no clue yet how to solve it, something to study on ... :?: :idea:

@all, made small fix for yad_squashloader, see EDIT2 here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 262#982262

Fred

Lassar

#1008 Post by Lassar »

Thank you for debian stretch script !

Got debian stretch script to make a iso. Size 143 mb.

Very nice size, but got one little problem.

Changed the script to make a symbolic link in /lib & /usr/lib.

These two links get overwritten & are changed into directories.

Have been searching google, and don't know how to prevent this from happening.

Anyone have any ideas?

dancytron

#1009 Post by dancytron »

Lassar wrote:Thank you for debian stretch script !

Got debian stretch script to make a iso. Size 143 mb.

Very nice size, but got one little problem.

Changed the script to make a symbolic link in /lib & /usr/lib.

These two links get overwritten & are changed into directories.

Have been searching google, and don't know how to prevent this from happening.

Anyone have any ideas?
What are you trying to accomplish?

In any event, I'd create the ISO, install it, make the changes you want, and then remaster it. That has worked for me with links to put browsers, block lists, download directories etc outside of the 01-filesystem and save folder.

rcrsn51

#1010 Post by rcrsn51 »

Hi Fred:

I've been looking at running chromium as an unprivileged user. I have this working using xhost, but there's no audio.

It looks like my user cannot see ALSA. Running the "aplay -l" command gives "no devices found".

Is this a permissions deal? Any suggestions?

[Edit] Fixed it. Ran System Tools > Add/Remove Users from Groups

Bill