Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Sep 2017, 18:54
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Hate Windows Love Puppy
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:45    Post subject:  Hate Windows Love Puppy
Subject description: Does Windows ever stop updating

I have Windows 10 on my computer.
I have not booted Windows 10 for about 3 months.
Today I booted Windows 10.

About 2 hours later it stopped downloading and installing updates. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Did about 8 different updates to programs and Windows core files/programs.

Had to reboot 3 times. Rolling Eyes

The last time I did any updates to the main Puppy I use, it took all of 1 minute.
That was a update to the Palemoon browser, and I did not see a real reason to even update it.
It was working fine for me.
I know, security issues, maybe!

Most of those Window 10 updates were bigger in size than Puppy. Exclamation Laughing

nic007

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 14:48    Post subject:  

You can stop the updates by disabling it in msconfig (somewhere, can't remember if in eventsmanager or wherever). I did that when I still had windows 10 but I deleted that system because it was to heavy for my machine. I re-installed windows xp pro instead.
spiritwild

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:34    Post subject:  

I still have windows on a separate partition. Had to load it the other day for the wifes ipad issues. Gawwwwwwwd!!!!!

Only took half hour to install and load Itunes. Then I had umpteen software update requests. Java, can't just have the java update, have to select no to the wonderful add on programs. Scottie the registry watch dog was barking like mad. (loved that little program).

While I waited, I went to a movie site I frequent. I don't have quite the same security as linux so there were a gazillion pop ups wanting me to install java. Not the real java mind you, the java that installs the add ons which proceed to change the registry, default home page and other fun filled adventures.

I just got the hell out of dodge. Sometimes I forget the true reason I switched to Linux but I'm usually quickly reminded.
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 08 Aug 2017, 18:54    Post subject:  

Windows XP Pro still master of all imho. There are things that are just better with Windows, like the sound for example. I was quite shocked how much better after working with windows again after a long time (compared to puppy). As for updates and stuff - all of that can be disabled, you just need to know where to look. Having said that, Puppy is still excellent.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017, 13:22    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
I re-installed windows xp pro instead.

I too have XP pro.
Any suggestions/instructions on how to install Thunderbird there?
e.g. Where to get the means of installation [exe file?][found 31.4.0]
Might I download the exe [to the XP partition] whilst within Puppy? [downloaded to sda1]

Virgin tech assist are trying to use "logmeinrescue" to fix my email [pop3 to fetch, smtp to send].
My SMM/TB emails are set up in Puppy, but they cant use "logmeinrescue" there. [Didn't run in WINE]
They can use "logmeinrescue" in XP, but email [TB] not set up there [yet].

I think the passwords have been changed at the servers, so email no longer functions.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017, 14:29    Post subject:  

Sylvander wrote:
nic007 wrote:
I re-installed windows xp pro instead.

I too have XP pro.
Any suggestions/instructions on how to install Thunderbird there?
e.g. Where to get the means of installation [exe file?][found 31.4.0]
Might I download the exe [to the XP partition] whilst within Puppy? [downloaded to sda1]

Virgin tech assist are trying to use "logmeinrescue" to fix my email [pop3 to fetch, smtp to send].
My SMM/TB emails are set up in Puppy, but they cant use "logmeinrescue" there. [Didn't run in WINE]
They can use "logmeinrescue" in XP, but email [TB] not set up there [yet].

I think the passwords have been changed at the servers, so email no longer functions.

Hi Sylvander. Never used thunderbird. I use gmail. Have you tried installing the Seamonkey Suite (email client included) Windows version instead? I used to have it before and it worked well for me. These days I have Palemoon as my Windows browser. I always download the full install package first instead of using these online install methods. Yes, you can download the full install package whilst browsing with Linux, just install it running Windows.
Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017, 21:38    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
...Have you tried installing the Seamonkey Suite (email client included) Windows version instead?.

No, haven't tried that.
Don't want to lose all the saved stuff I have in TB, so I'll try installing TB in Windows and see if Virgin tech assist can use that to fix things.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug 2017, 22:45    Post subject:  

Regards adding a specific driver. My printer (the specific model) does not have a linux driver but the next series of the printer does have so may work. This generic linux driver can be downloaded. My question is, how do I install this in a specific puppy version. I need to re-compile the kernel?
Sylvander

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug 2017, 09:03    Post subject:  

1. Email problems now solved. Very Happy

a. Virgin tech assist [VTA] helped me change the password on my pop3 accounts.
He said that would also fix any problem with smtp sending, BUT...
The first account I tried to send with failed [trying but paused]...
So I specified the new password, and it sent OK right then.
Then when I tried to send using my 2nd smtp account it sent just fine.

b. We told VTA to delete my wifes old/unused POP3 account, which he says may take 30 days to take effect.

c. My wifes [new] IMAP fetching server and smtp sending server [from within Android on her tablet] were also failing, so she was told by VTA to specify the [same] password as for the POP3 accounts, which she did.
VTA says this will take 1 day to take effect.

2. I tried installing both ext2fsd driver and Thunderbird within XP.
I saw no sign of ext2fsd functioning, although it showed on the menu.
Thunderbird ran and asked to be set up.
I told Toolwiz TimeFreeze to not save the changes, and they were gone.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Thu 10 Aug 2017, 17:37    Post subject:  

I've been happily Windows-free since around 2013. Recently I've been researching getting a cell phone though, my last one was a flip-phone that was around $20/month for 100 minutes and 100 text messages maybe until 2014. Apparently it costs the same to get a smartphone or flipphone for $25/month with a similar plan and the phone is free... after hearing about my sister and parents stories about smartphone updates always borking everything (especially on iphone) I'm thinking a flipphone would be simpler and without as much headaches, and maybe the battery would last longer, I hate touchscreens and never owned a smartphone. Ehhh...
Pelo

PostPosted: Wed 20 Sep 2017, 19:53    Post subject: never i would have tried Puppy  

if Windows would not have been so slow, And Linux so boring, never i would have tried Puppy (toutou) 4.3.1, my first love story. (coup de coeur, love story is too much) smiley Smile explains better. However it's hard to enter into vacuum US area. Our devs and french teachers went away as did the spanish ones, last years (Jejy69, ASRIedu, esmourguit perhaps)
In France you can still phone to Windows to get help (if French). For Puppy we had Medor (not by phone, but on the forum). Where is he ?

Puppy install ? downloading ISO is the longer (3mns) plus plug an Usb (10 seconds) Transfer ISO files (hum 1 mn maxi), grub4dos (1mn)
reboot.. Puppy is not Slow !
What i don't understand is why they are thousands of pages for install..
5 minutes by Pelo, a newbie from nowhere.. That is strange.

Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Today, at 11:01    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Windows XP Pro still master of all imho. There are things that are just better with Windows, like the sound for example. I was quite shocked how much better after working with windows again after a long time (compared to puppy). As for updates and stuff - all of that can be disabled, you just need to know where to look. Having said that, Puppy is still excellent.

At home, my most up to date version of Windows is Windows-98. I skipped over Win-95. Back when I installed Win-98, I pointed out that it could greatly increase productivity because I could have 2 DOS windows going at the same time. It was from Win-98 that I went to using SUSE and then eventually to puppy. It brings back "fond" memories of the attempt at work to get me to switch to XP when I see people saying it was great. It could be made to work but the DOS built into it had some fairly serious bugs. Several of my batch files needed to be edited to get them to work with XP.

Just today, I was editing some of those same batch files to make them work better under dosemu. The reason for bothering is too complicated to explain but comes under the heading of not stranding old projects.
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: