Boot error after installing Puppy to bad HDD

Booting, installing, newbie
Herve

Boot error after installing Puppy to bad HDD

#1 Post by Herve »

Hello

i have used Linux in the (distant) past and now i am trying to install puppy Linux on a laptop.

i have a Acer Aspire 4740G with a dual boot and 4 partitions. The windows 7 installation has been corrupted beyond repair. Gparted told me a number of sectors are damaged on the windows 7 partition

I performed a full install on sda5 using the universal installer. I struggled a little with the grub set-up, however i managed to boot up once from the hard drive.

upon reboot, i saved the session on sda5, and i then got the error as in the attached picture.
i am still able to boot up from the USB i used for the installation, and it seems i can access most files on the hard drive.

Herve

#2 Post by Herve »

i'm struggling with the add attachment function..

here is the image
Last edited by Herve on Wed 16 Aug 2017, 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

Herve

#3 Post by Herve »

i forgot to say, i have puppy linux Lucid 5.28

april

#4 Post by april »

I don't really follow what you are doing with the windows stuff but the puppy stuff is not finding what it needs.

I suggest you burn a CD with the puppy on it , make your laptop boot from that . You could also look at putting it on a USB stick and booting from that That way at least you know it has what is needed in the CD folder when you are trying to install to the HDD .
Edit I see you have that . The savefile must not have ended up on your hard drive then at all or it has been buggered up . Try booting F2 and use puppy pfix=ram that will load in the standard stuff first and you can then try saving a savefile when you close down

Oh and I would also reduce the size of the picture as it is distorting the forum page

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

Specs:

http://lapreview.blogspot.com.au/2010/0 ... -core.html

I would try another Puppy.
Don't get me wrong, I like Lucid.

Maybe try my favourite...Woof CE Debian Stretch

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109789

Download from here:

http://smokey01.com/ttuuxxx/WoofCe/

stretch-7.0.0a1.iso 22-Mar-2017 05:39 285M

And forget full installs...boot off usb.

Chris.

Herve

#6 Post by Herve »

thanks for your help :)

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

If Windows 7 is not working correctly.
Gparted says there are things wrong with the hard drive.

Why would you think Puppy is going to work correctly installed to that hard drive. :roll: :shock: :!:

You could have a hard drive going bad.

You need to get the hard drive working correctly and the file system (format) on it correct.
Then install Puppy.

Now you have to decide how best to do that.
If Windows 7 will not boot into any kind of repair mode, which it usually will, if it does not boot correctly.
Windows 7 will be no help.

If Windows 7 will boot at all to the point of being able to run any programs.

Run chkdsk and defrag programs to hopefully correct what is wrong with the hard drive.
CHKDSK is a Windows utility that can check the integrity of your hard disk and can fix various file system errors. CHKDSK (or chkdsk.exe)
The hard drive is formatted in a Windows format and only Windows programs can fix errors with the format.

Report back if you try this and what happens.!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

How do you have an "sda5" on a win7 HD with 4 partitions??

Show us the partitioning info: sfdisk -l (a lowercase 'L'), or what GParted says in View->Device Info