Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Jan 2020, 12:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
euclid2.iso
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017, 14:00    Post subject:  

Quote:
I assume this means that I have not managed to fix ram at 80%. However I'm a bit confused by this output. I am not using firefox as a browser. I have found with other pups that it is very slow on a low spec machine like this. I am using QtWeb. While this has limitations it is fast but I cannot believe it is only using 2% of my 320MB of memory. Am I doing something wrong here?

There is some confusion about what this ramsize=... actually does.
It's not about the RAM used by programs, it's about the size of tmpfs (ramdisk), to clarify:
Say you didn't add ramsize=80%, then it would be the default 60% which is 192 (from 320 MB )
If you copy a file then with size 200 MB to e.g. /root then you're running out of space
If you copy the same 200 MB file to /root when you have booted with ramsize=80% , then you wouldn't run out of space. (because your tmpfs is 244 MB)

Btw, I wouldn't recommend the EXIT: parameter when you have so little RAM, installing a few programs makes it full very quickly.

Fred
keniv

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017, 14:36    Post subject:  

@fredx181,
Again thanks for the explaination. I have already removed the "EXIT". I noticed at boot up when the the changes.dat file was checked a lot was done before it was considered "clean". As this passes by fairly quickly I don't remember what it said. As the output of

Code:
df -h /mnt/live/memory/changes

is the same for both I removed EXIT. The changes.dat file does not seem to need a cleanup now. Also as I'm using an hdd I did not think the number of writes to it was as much of an issue as it might be using a flash drive.

regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017, 15:02    Post subject:  

Quote:

Not booting with the EXIT: , e.g. changes=/2euclid/live/changes.dat , that should show the size of your savefile changes.dat (but maybe not exactly)
But without changes=/.... (no save) it will show the TMPFS size (same as with EXIT: ,also running in TMPFS)

Fred
keniv

PostPosted: Sun 27 Aug 2017, 15:32    Post subject:  

@fredx181,
This is the output from
Code:

just now.

Code:
root@stretch:~# df -h /mnt/live/memory/changes
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/loop0      628M  170M  413M  30% /mnt/live/memory/changes
root@stretch:~#

I see what you mean. Easy to understand and could be useful. I thought when I tried it with and without "EXIT:" they were the same. My mistake.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 13:23    Post subject:  

Hello All,
I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
1. Can someone tell me how to fix the position of the desktop icons.
I have tried switching them from horizontal to vertical. However when l reboot I get a mixture of both. If I move them manually on rebooting they've moved back. I can't find a way to fix them in one position.
2. The above problem is trivial but this one is more of an issue. I have found after shutting down the machine seems to reboot. I have not seen it do this but I've come back to find it on twice. It only seems to happen with euclid. Has anyone else noticed this. I know some pups have had shutdown problems in the past but this is not the problem I have. It shutsdown then reboots.

Regards,

Ken.
backi

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 14:02    Post subject:  

Hi Keniv !

Regarding problem 2:
Tested Logout:

Menu to choose:

Cancel--Shutdown--Reboot-Exit X--Suspend

Using Shutdown for me did not cause System to reboot.Are you sure you did not hit "Reboot" ?

Regarding problem 1:
You are correct......but do not know how to fix it .
fredx181

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 15:17    Post subject:  

keniv wrote:
Hello All,
I'd like to ask a couple of questions.
1. Can someone tell me how to fix the position of the desktop icons.
I have tried switching them from horizontal to vertical. However when l reboot I get a mixture of both. If I move them manually on rebooting they've moved back. I can't find a way to fix them in one position.
2. The above problem is trivial but this one is more of an issue. I have found after shutting down the machine seems to reboot. I have not seen it do this but I've come back to find it on twice. It only seems to happen with euclid. Has anyone else noticed this. I know some pups have had shutdown problems in the past but this is not the problem I have. It shutsdown then reboots.

Regards,

Ken.

Regarding 1. Some time ago there was the same problem and I thought this was fixed (with newer xfce4 version) but obviously not.

At that time I made little workaround script, it's: /usr/local/bin/desk-icons
- Copy it to ~/Startup
- Exit X and from console, type startx (then the desk-icons script is loaded at startup/login)
- Make your changes for icon positions on the Desktop
- Required to wait around 5 seconds before exiting (xfdesktop is rather slow in saving the changes properly Question )
Then to test, exit X and startx again, if it's OK it should work after reboot also.
EDIT: Sorry, after more testing I found that it doesn't work always, I'll search for a better solution tomorrow.
EDIT2: Attached "desk-icons" script, extract in ~/Startup
Added "xfdesktop --reload" to the script, it should work now (also after exiting X)

For 2. Same as backi, I can't reproduce that.

Fred
desk-icons.tar.gz
Description  Workaround to remember desktop icons position, extract in ~/Startup
gz

Download 
Filename  desk-icons.tar.gz 
Filesize  324 Bytes 
Downloaded  56 Time(s) 

Last edited by fredx181 on Tue 29 Aug 2017, 05:06; edited 1 time in total
keniv

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 17:42    Post subject:  

@backi @ fredx181,
Thanks for trying to reproduce problem 2. It does not happen every time or even most of the time. I am sure it's not me hitting reboot. If it was this it would boot back into the first entry of my grub menu and it would appear fairly quickly. It seems to boot up after some time. It might be the machine I suppose but it doesn't seem to happen with other pups. I think when I shutdown euclid I will boot into another pup then shut it down. If I get it to happen with another pup it would point me in the direction of the machine rather than the pups.
@fredx181
Thanks for looking for a solution to the icon problem.

Regards,

Ken.
Edit Tried the icon work around. Still working after reboot.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Mon 28 Aug 2017, 21:50    Post subject:  

G'day there Zagreb999 or anybody eLse that knows How 2 Fix the Error Booting euclid2 gfxboot.c32: not a COM32R image, of course I've done an iNet search & tried Tab, Type live & press eNter, doesn't work. I've tried Booting from CD & USB isobooter, Both No Splash & ChainLoading!

I'm Really Very Keen 2 Try this Flavor because I've just Received a 2.4 GHz i5 ( ie. QuadCore ) & XFCE is one of Me Favorite Desktop eNvironments, However I'm Wundering if this Error is Related 2 Compatibility of aRchitecture???

Oops, I've Only just noticed that this is a 32 bit OS & I Need 2 be Using a 64 bit, I Welcome or invite Recommendations besides FatDog64 or Barrys Quirky Xerus64-8.3 or the recently Retired Debi'Dog ( Sad Sadly! ) that I'm unaware of

Shocked K
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017, 05:10    Post subject:  

@keniv
See EDIT2 and attached "desk-icons" here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=965785#965785

It should work better anyway now and also after exiting X (not only after reboot)

Fred

keniv

PostPosted: Tue 29 Aug 2017, 12:03    Post subject:  

@fredx181
Thanks for your script. It's working fine so far including reboots. I have a bit more information with problem 2. This only seems to happen when I seem to get an incomplete shutdown. Shutdown gets to page with "System going to system halt now" It does not get to the last page with the debian logo before it shutsdown. This also seems to affect the hardware clock. When I reset it all is well again. I don't know if this helps.

Regards,

Ken.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017, 08:02    Post subject:  

I seem to have lost a post somewhere. I think I have a work around for problem 2. If instead of using shutdown I EXIT X then at the command line I type in "poweroff" I see the last page of the shutdown routine ie page showing
"session already saved using overlay". I think I have also fixed the problem with the hardware clock by resetting then syncing it using lucid.I could not find how to do it in euclid.

Regards,

Ken.
backi

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017, 08:39    Post subject:  

Can not quite understand why you have shutdown Problems .
But maybe try these Scripts :
wmpoweroff:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Written for alphaOS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos
# Author: archpup@gmail.com
# Adapted for DebianDog using 'porteus-boot' by fredx181
#
# Distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ ! -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
yad --title="Create savefile" --center --text="Do you want to save your changes in a savefile?" \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"
ret=$?
if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
makepfile.sh
fi
fi

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit ]; then
yad --title="Save changes" --center --text=" Do you want to save your changes?\n If not, click the 'NoSave' button within 30 seconds " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --timeout=30 --timeout-indicator bottom --buttons-layout=spread --button="Save:0" --button="NoSave:2" --button="Cancel:1"
ret=$?
case $ret in

1|252)
exit
;;
2)
touch /mnt/live/tmp/changesx
gtkdialog-splash -timeout 4 -bg "dark red" -fg yellow -text "Session not saved" -close never
;;
0|70)
alsactl store 0
touch /mnt/live/tmp/sessionsaved
save2flash
;;
esac
fi
if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
save2flash
fi

sleep 0.3
poweroff

Another one :

wmreboot :

#!/bin/bash
#
# Written for alphaOS: http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos
# Author: archpup@gmail.com
# Adapted for DebianDog using 'porteus-boot' by fredx181
#
# Distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec gsu ${0}

if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ ! -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
yad --title="Create savefile" --center --text="Do you want to save your changes in a savefile?" \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --button="gtk-quit:1" --button="gtk-ok:0"
ret=$?
if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
makepfile.sh
fi
fi

if [ -f /mnt/live/tmp/changes-exit ]; then
yad --title="Save changes" --center --text=" Do you want to save your changes?\n If not, click the 'NoSave' button within 30 seconds " \
--window-icon="preferences-system" --timeout=30 --timeout-indicator bottom --buttons-layout=spread --button="Save:0" --button="NoSave:2" --button="Cancel:1"
ret=$?

case $ret in

1|252)
exit
;;
2)
gtkdialog-splash -timeout 4 -bg "dark red" -fg yellow -text "Session not saved" -close never
;;
0|70)
alsactl store 0
save2flash
;;
esac
fi
if [ -f /mnt/live/etc/nochanges ] && [ -f /tmp/savefile.txt ]; then
save2flash
fi

sleep 0.3
reboot

Make them executable (hope you know how to do it ) and test
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 31 Aug 2017, 16:03    Post subject:  

@backi
I already replied to the post above. This is the second post I've lost. I tried your first script which did shutdown euclid but caused an error with the hadrware clock. I now seem to have so many odd errors I am thinking of re-downloading the iso and make a new frugal install. If that does not remove these niggles I may give up.

Regards,

Ken.
backi

PostPosted: Fri 01 Sep 2017, 02:12    Post subject:  

Hi keniv !
Sorry for you ....... never ever heard of such a bug before ....yes better make a new download.
But why not download another Debian Dog Stetch .......Trinity Dog .
Based on Trinity Desktop .Except Desktop it is almost identical to euclid2.

Good Luck .
Page 2 of 3 [32 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: