Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Sep 2017, 11:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Slacko5.7-2018
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
8Geee

PostPosted: Tue 22 Aug 2017, 09:33    Post subject:  Slacko5.7-2018
Subject description: Preparing for releases

Though I don't have a dfinate release-daate yet, I have started to get these 4 Spins ready.

All four will have openssl 1.0.2k as testing upon the EONS version was OK with printing(presently the Slacko5.7, and 5.7-eee versions are using 1.0.1u because printing works)

Only the mini-eee will retain bash 4.2.56, all others will retain 4.1.0(2) default to allow printing.

My experiments and rather dodgy experiences with FF45.8 have led me back to FF27.1... basicaly its the add-ons.

YouTube has dropped support for IE, and this led to updating ALL HTML5. I still can't get pause on load to function, but will keep trying.

As always, this will have all updates/patches provided by UncleSlacky. I have not dabbled with CUPS due to the above issues.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep 2017, 01:36    Post subject:  

There will be a bit of a delay, as I was working on this, Uncle Slacky posted a bugfix (minor) for bash... including the 4.1 series found in Slacko5.7. So I have dropped the initial update, and will see if the new bash version allows printing. (re: the 4.2.53 version suggested by Uncle Slacky broke printing, even though 4..2.x is installed in Slackware 14.0. It seems that 4.1 x is installed in Puppy Slacko5.7 in spite of being a slackware14.0 base.)

If all goes well, printing will be avaiable in the spins, and I can remove the eee version of the base Slacko5.7. Just the base 5.7, and the mini-eee will remain with option of the en_US version of FreeOffice6..97 as separate D/L. This could simplify things much.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Sylvander

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep 2017, 07:40    Post subject:  

It appears the printing no longer works in my Slacko-5.7.0-pae [it originally did work].

Is there an easy fix for this?
8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 11 Sep 2017, 22:47    Post subject:  

What version of bash is installed? My problems started with migration of bash.
Also look for these in usr/lib libpng 12, libpng 14, libpng 3 if gutenprint is installed, IIRC the base is 5.2.9 in the NP version

If you have recently installed the Slackware recommended bash 4.2.x you will have to deprocate to micko's original 4.1.x version (Originally intended for 13.37).

There should not normally be a problem using a 4.1.x version in Slacko5.7. There is a chance that the 64 bit version did not load properly, or that the 32 bit version is installed.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 12 Sep 2017, 10:33    Post subject:  

@8Geee
1. "What version of bash is installed?"
bash4-4.1_spup

2. "look for these in usr/lib libpng 12, libpng 14, libpng 3"
libpng12.so
libpng12.so.0
libpng12.so.0.44.0
libpng14.so
libpng14.so.14
libpng14.so.14.5.0

3. "...or that the 32 bit version is installed"
Since my Slacko-5.7 is a 32-bit PAE version, my bash version should surely be a 32-bit bersion.
8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 16 Sep 2017, 02:51    Post subject:  

as for bash...

There is a recent update to bash at slackware.com --> security advisory --> 2017.

The version 4.1.17 is avaiable in either 64-bit or 32-bit. But note where this is located... with the slackware 13.37 version. The default is 4.2.x for 14.0. But that IS NOT installed in slacko5.7.

In the last 15 minutes I finished testing my manual D/L, and all printing works. CUPS is 1.4.8 here Gutenprint is 5.2.9 and foo xqx and zjs installed.

So far what I see of your libpng files looks ok. My setup also includes libpng.so.3.44.0 and 3.57.0. I'm not sure if these are non-pae only. One last sanity check is libjpeg7.0.0 needs to be there, even if with 8.0.1.

I did a manual D/L to top level / and used xarchive to install.
A snag occurred in the main Slacko5.7 update (2018 presently) that I offer, that did not exist in the personal/netbook edition.

BEFORE INSTALL: One has to go into /bin and check bash... copy your old version elsewhere.

AFTER INSTALL: check again,and delete the old version, then rename the new version as "bash" or as labled previously. In case there's only "bash", check properties for the date, and check in terminal the --version. I'm not familiar with lables in the PAE version, but your system might need to have the label match the old version. (Mine is just bash, but the new version was bash4.new, so after tossing the old, I relabled the "new")

After that D/C from internet and shutdown. Crossing fingers/knock on wood restart will take and bash --version in terminal will show 4.1.17.

Maybe after all this stuff, printing might return. It has here in non-pae land.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sun 17 Sep 2017, 08:07    Post subject:  

@8Geee

1. "...libjpeg7.0.0 needs to be there, even if with 8.0.1..."
I have:
libjpeg.so.7.0.0
libjpeg.so.8.0.1

. "...My setup also includes libpng.so.3.44.0 and 3.57.0..."
I have:
libpng.so.3.44.0

Most of what you said above [post prior to this] is beyond my comprehension.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: