Auto-build a Puppy iso; single script with optional gui

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wiak

@davids45: you might find this version particularly useful

#151 Post by wiak »

makepup ver 0.1.0 uploaded (developed and tested on Puppy Slacko64 ver 6.3.2).

Just run the script in gui mode and press Build button (or select from some options first)! See below and first post of thread for details of operation. Download from first post of thread.

This version of makepup includes the ability to add your own dotpets to the build by simply drag and drop your dotpets to folder local-repositories/pets2add/ and tick checkbox makepup option -a (or --addpets) in the advanced tab of the gui. You no longer need to edit any woof-CE config files for this; makepup ver 0.1.0 does it for you automatically. Personally, I like to also tick optional checkbox for pause [-p] just in case I change my mind and want to add something else at that end-of-woof-CE-0setup stage.

Note that you need to create the directory local-repositories/pets2add/ and then simply drop the dotpets you want added to the build into that (local-repositories/ is in same dir as where makepup script is). In practice, however, you can actually let makepup create the directory for you automatically if you want (it does so as soon as it starts up).

If you wish, you can also still add dotpets to the build manually, using makepup --pause in makepup, as explained in below link (but not necessary anymore since this method is what makepup now automates):

Some (old, now unnecessary) details of using --pause (-p) makepup option to manually arrange adding dotpet packages to build can be found here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 945#967945

Changes in ver 0.1.0:

## 0.1.0 New option -a/--addpets: Any dotpets you have dropped into folder local-repositories/pets2add/ will
# be automatically added to the build
# Note that the local woof-CE DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-<distro-version> and Packages-puppy-noarch-official files will be
# suitably automatically modified by makepup in the process.
# As before, if you wish, option -p/--pause will pause makepup just after 0setup process to allow
# you to further edit woof-out_*/DISTRO_PKS_SPECS-<distro-version> via its 'yes' and 'no' core build selections.
# Had to modify makepup --help usage texts accordingly.
Last edited by wiak on Mon 18 Sep 2017, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.

wiak

makepup ver 0.1.1 uploaded

#152 Post by wiak »

Sorry, couldn't resist making a small addition for user-convenience:

makepup ver 0.1.1 uploaded. See post immediately above for main details plus:

The makepup gui now includes button to open filemanager at local-repositories/pets2add/ directory so you can conveniently drag and drop dotpets there to automatically include in your build.

wiak

LazY Puppy

#153 Post by LazY Puppy »

SORRY nilsonmorales and RSH! Owing to the major "add dotpets by drag and drop into folder" addition, the makepup gui translations you have kindly provided need to be updated for this latest makepup version
Updated the related post and uploaded a new version of .mo file. So, you can keep the link from first post.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

fredx181

#154 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak,

First time I test makepup.
Did a Stretch build from X-tahr without any special options and build went OK, took around 50 minutes.
I noticed something strange IMO, all sorts of *-dev packages are downloaded, I think these are not needed, right ?.
Also (after booting ok), when I check some *-dev packages from PPM if they are installed, it shows [ALREADY INSTALLED]
But by looking in the filesystem, I don't see the files belonging to the dev packages.
I guess this is not a specific makepup issue, but more of a WOOF-CE issue (?)

As already said in this thread, some menu entries and desktop launchers don't work, e.g. netsurf, pcmanfm, also missing network tray icon (still after choosing default network manager and restarting X).

Fred

nilsonmorales

#155 Post by nilsonmorales »

Same as LazY Puppy
Updated the related post and uploaded a new version of .mo file
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 250#967250
[b][url=http://nilsonmorales.blogspot.com/]My blog |[/url][/b][b][url=https://github.com/woofshahenzup]| Github[/url][/b]
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/5tz5vrrX/imag018la6.gif[/img]
[img]http://s5.postimg.org/7h2fid8pz/botones_logos3.png[/img]

wiak

#156 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote: But by looking in the filesystem, I don't see the files belonging to the dev packages.

As already said in this thread, some menu entries and desktop launchers don't work, e.g. netsurf, pcmanfm, also missing network tray icon (still after choosing default network manager and restarting X).

Fred
Yes, such issues are pretty certainly woof-CE-related and your findings sound like the Stretch distro branch maker (ttuuxxx, I think) could do with checking the details. I have only tried the Stretch build a couple of times so don't know much about it or its issues. I usually build xenialpup64 to save bandwidth since I already have the downloaded files. I'm not sure if files for the devx get downloaded by woof-CE or not if a devx isn't itself been built. I'll look in my local-repositories - I doubt they are there though unless devx chosen.

wiak

wiak

#157 Post by wiak »

Thanks for the updated translations, nilson and RSH, much obliged.

wiak

musher0

#158 Post by musher0 »

fredx181 wrote:Hi wiak,

First time I test makepup.
Did a Stretch build from X-tahr without any special options and build went OK, took around 50 minutes.
I noticed something strange IMO, all sorts of *-dev packages are downloaded, I think these are not needed, right ?.
Also (after booting ok), when I check some *-dev packages from PPM if they are installed, it shows [ALREADY INSTALLED]
But by looking in the filesystem, I don't see the files belonging to the dev packages.

Fred
Hi Fred.

Please see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#967192

pcmanfm is working fine in my build.But I had to get net-surf from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#893604
and the netmon_wce icon from
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#855372

As for me, I think that downloading the components for the devx is needed.
Otherwise, it's not a complete distro. Even if you're not going to compile
anything.

These automatons are great, and they save a lot of time, but they never
reduce entropy to 0%. You need to finish perhaps 1% of the distro
manually.

And yes those are woof-CE issues, with nothing to do with wiak's script.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

davids45

Works very well (version-0.1.0)

#159 Post by davids45 »

G'day wiak,

Thanks a lot for your (now penultimate :shock: ) makepup-0.1.0 which I ran last night.
I chose to try with a xenial pup with a non-PAE kernel and selected -p and -a as parameters.
I simply copied my mainly self-made pets to the required new directory and all has gone excellently.

I've made a manual Frugal of the files in /build in sandbox3 and now loaded this XenialPup up with my few but very large sfs packages that I share to all my Frugals (screenshot).

My added pets all present and all run - the only problems I came across are with the basic Xenial:

1) starting with black icon text on a black wall-paper is perhaps not that 'new-user friendly'? I switched Rox to a yellow text.

2) a symlink is missing in /lib if paper printing is desired (I made a link ld-lsb.so.3 to ld-2.23.so - one of rcrsn51's many printer fixes for Puppy).

So again, thanks for all your work.

Another ENIGMA-tic success for Polish coding, if not code-breaking this time :wink: !

David S.
Attachments
makepup-AddedPets.jpg
desktop of makepup-0.1.0 Xenial with successfully added pets - most icons are for sfs loaded packages but the pets are there as well.
(160.08 KiB) Downloaded 343 times

wiak

#160 Post by wiak »

musher0 wrote: These automatons are great, and they save a lot of time, but they never
reduce entropy to 0%. You need to finish perhaps 1% of the distro
manually.

And yes those are woof-CE issues, with nothing to do with wiak's script.

BFN.
Yes, automatons, to a large extent, rely on the underlying build system. Whilst the best is clearly to fix any distro issues on woof-CE itself, it should be possible for builders to create a dotpet with the fixes in it and use the new drop dotpet facility in latest makepup to add that to the build (until such time as woof-CE raised issues fixed.

Also, the interested pup creator should be able to create dotpets for different desktop environment configurations (remembering also that dotpets can include pre-install scripts and so on).

I'd like to see woof-CE provide some special distro bases - well-crafted minbase versions that users can build from and add to. Far from dying, I think the possibilities in Puppy are boundless and exciting. Despite imperfections woof-CE is a very flexible system and any imperfections can be worked around and/or fixed.

A tiny Pup made from Slitaz repos would be very interesting (with Puppy facilities on top of Slitaz tiny apps). I'm a real Slitaz fan but find Puppy has better frugal install facilities and I actually liike the Puppy 'anarchy' where it is so easy to build Frankenmonster pups... Its the perfect playground where breakages don't matter. But it can also be built secure and solid for when needed/desired.

wiak

smokey01

#161 Post by smokey01 »

ally wrote:build completed, available here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 9_wiak.iso

:)

edit: created using lenovo x230 running xenialpup64 7.0.8.5
@ally I tried your build in Qemu and it hung about halfway through the load.
I then tried building my own with 0.9 and all I got was lots of errors flying up the terminal. This was a completely empty directory in Fatdog64-710 on an ext4 partition. Maybe I will try again with 0.1.0.

Cheers

wiak

#162 Post by wiak »

smokey01 wrote:
ally wrote:build completed, available here: http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... 9_wiak.iso

:)

edit: created using lenovo x230 running xenialpup64 7.0.8.5
@ally I tried your build in Qemu and it hung about halfway through the load.
I then tried building my own with 0.9 and all I got was lots of errors flying up the terminal. This was a completely empty directory in Fatdog64-710 on an ext4 partition. Maybe I will try again with 0.1.0.

Cheers
Hi smokey01,

It's a while since I tried from a completely empty directory but I'll do that now. Which target, distro, version, kernel and woof-branch were you using? I usually test with x86_64, ubuntu, xenial, kernel 28, woof-branch-testing. If it builds with any then can't see likely problem with makepup, but makepup has no control over what woof-CE provides. But if there is an unknown problem with makepup should be an easy fix. I'll just test with xenial again in empty dir for now, using makepup ver 0.1.1, and the required 5GB or so free space.

EDIT1: In progress just now... packages being downloaded by makepup and all going well so far...
EDIT2: I had to go out so just left makepup running downloading files and processing them. Came home to successfully built iso and also frugal files. I have just booted from the frugal files, connected to wifi successfully and posting from the new xenialpup64 system now, so all seems fine with makepup at least.

The only time in the past when I've seen lots of error messages, one after the other, has been when my machine has suddenly run out of storage space (I only just have the approx 5GB spare on this old laptop so sometimes I forget to delete something). However, if you have plenty space I can't say what went wrong in your attempt.

I'll download ally's iso and see if it boots on my machine. For that case, it may be that you need extra firmware installed to suit your machine. We will see - downloading ally's iso now!

EDIT3: Oh... I just noticed you say you ran makepup from FatDog64. As far as I know woof-CE scripts need to be run from a genuine recent Puppy (since it needs particular Puppy-only system files in the host build system), so that may explain all the errors you got. There is a program you can use with standard woof-CE to run from another Linux (I've never used it and can't remember its name) but even then you need to have a genuine Puppy devx with that one as far as I remember. Simplest is to build from an actual Puppy really. Oh well, at least I have re-tested a build from an empty dir, which was best thus confirmed as okay still. I have no plans to modify makepup to run from other Linux - since other matters of higher priority and maybe (I think) quite a lot involved in doing so.

EDIT4: I've checked the program needed to using woof-CE from other Linux than Puppy; it's called run-woof. Apparently run-woof runs an actual Puppy Linux in a chroot environment; if that is so, makepup may well be able to run in that environment. Actually, I noted before an article about running Puppy Slacko in a chroot environment on FatDog (I forget the link) - makepup would probably work in that chroot too, though easier just to run it on an actual Puppy Slacko! Here is github link to run-woof:

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/run_woof

EDIT5: ally's iso booted frugal fine for me. Posting from that now. Screenshot attached. I guess you need extra/different firmware installed to work with your virtual machine.

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux puppypc6236 4.4.70 #1 SMP Sun May 28 07:34:54 AEST 2017 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     L9600  @ 2.13GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
# 
# It's a slacko 32bit x86 version 6.9.9.9

# md5sum slacko-6.9.9.9_wiak.iso 
16566f56070b7fedbaf98fbffb6bd4bb  slacko-6.9.9.9_wiak.iso
EDIT: But I note not being able to run woof-CE on FatDog has already been answered smokey! makepup being a frontend for woof-CE... ;-) :

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 049#867049

Or did the above-linked manual woof-CE build (using 0setup, 1download etc) actually work from FatDog?! I'd be surprised.

wiak
Attachments
Screenshot.png
screenshot of ally's makepup-build slacko system running
(105.25 KiB) Downloaded 270 times

wiak

#163 Post by wiak »

I think I've spotted a bug in makepup regarding --addpets option. The actual adding into woof-CE official local-repositories packages-pet directory is done right after 0setup routine but if starting build from an empty folder these local-repositories directories haven't been made yet (since done by 1download process...). (No problem, if you have already made a trial build of same distribution since the local-repository directories will alreay exist).

Work around for the moment is to:

1. Simply create the necessary empty local-repositories/TARGETARCH/packages-pet directory manually before starting makepup. (where TARGETARCH is either arm, x86, or X86_64)

The next makepup version will create the necessary packages-pet directory if it doesn't already exist, so the bug will be fixed.

wiak

Billtoo

#164 Post by Billtoo »

I used the latest makepup while running xenialpup64 to build xenialpup in a new work directory.
I chose the 4.1.30 pae kernel because I want to do an install on my imac later on.
Now running on my p4 Compaq Presario.

root# inxi -b
System: Host: puppypc6047 Kernel: 4.1.30 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.5 Distro: xenialpup 7.0.6
Machine: Device: desktop System: Compaq Presario 061 product: DQ182A-ABA S6700NX NA410 v: 0nB1411RE101COBRA10 serial: MXM41001K5
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Cobra v: 1.xx serial: X312345678
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 3.28 date: 08/27/2004
CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 (-HT-) speed: 2800 MHz (max)
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV530 [Radeon X1600 PRO]
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 159x27 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter driver: 8139too
Drives: HDD Total Size: 352.1GB (1.1% used)
Info: Processes: 119 Uptime: 16 min Memory: 312.3/2265.4MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
root#

I'm happy with this, kodi runs well on this pc.
Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(106.98 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

davids45

Added-pets 32-bit Slacko with kernel-3.18.22

#165 Post by davids45 »

G'day wiak,

Last night's effort here was a slacko makepup (0.1.1) with my regular selection of added pets for Frugals, pets which I don't have in my boot-mounted sfs.
All went well in the slacko build and Frugal install.

However, for my regular user-packages, I find slackos miss more libraries than Tahr/Xenial Pups, so personalising a new Slacko is a longer process than a Tahr/Xenial. Maybe my regular packages were from Ubuntu originally hence the fewer library miscues.

Needed libs were:
libgcrypt.so.11
libjpeg.so.8
libpng12.so.0
libgtk-3.so.0

Next makpup run for a Slacko I should see if I can add these to the build during the -p pause?

I also had to do a ld-lsb.so.3 symlink and a qt5/platforms link to /usr/bin to get some other packages to run but don't know if I can include these fixes in the slacko build. Fixing them in the running Slacko doesn't take that long any more.

Looking forward to trying your next version.

David S.
Attachments
makepup-slacko6999k31822-addedpets.jpg
desktop for makepup Slacko with added pets and after fixing missing lib issues so that most, if not all desktop icon packages work as normal
(127.46 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

smokey01

#166 Post by smokey01 »

EDIT: But I note not being able to run woof-CE on FatDog has already been answered smokey! makepup being a frontend for woof-CE... Wink :
@wiak, That would be the issue. I will try it again from slacko64-6999.

Cheers

Sailor Enceladus

Re: Added-pets 32-bit Slacko with kernel-3.18.22

#167 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

davids45 wrote:However, for my regular user-packages, I find slackos miss more libraries than Tahr/Xenial Pups, so personalising a new Slacko is a longer process than a Tahr/Xenial. Maybe my regular packages were from Ubuntu originally hence the fewer library miscues.

Needed libs were:
libgcrypt.so.11
libjpeg.so.8
libpng12.so.0
libgtk-3.so.0

Next makpup run for a Slacko I should see if I can add these to the build during the -p pause?
Davids45,

I had asked you before what in Slacko 6.9.9.9 needs libpng12 and didn't get a response. I guess I'll ask the same for libjpeg8 as well. What do you need these libraries for? These are old libs and programs compiled for Slackware 14.2 should be using libpng16 and libjpeg62 I think (which are included).

Billtoo

#168 Post by Billtoo »

I'm still working with my makepup xenial build from a couple of days ago.
I updated the kernel and ran ./3builddistro-Z, have installed the new iso to an
usb external hard drive, running from my HP desktop:

root# inxi -b
System: Host: puppypc25327 Kernel: 4.9.51-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.5 Distro: xenialpup 7.0.6
Machine: Device: desktop System: HP product: 260-p029 serial: CNV6240BWP
Mobo: HP model: 81B4 v: 01 serial: PFPSK0BWJ301LW UEFI [Legacy]: AMI v: F.04 date: 05/10/2016
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3-6100T (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3101 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Sky Lake Integrated Graphics
Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 127x21 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter driver: rtl8723be
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (0.4% used)
Info: Processes: 192 Uptime: 1:25 Memory: 225.2/3898.0MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
root#

In version 7.0.6 smplayer and smtube won't install from PPM (I'm guessing that Xenialpup CE 7.0.8.1 has it fixed)
but apparently it's not a woof-CE build,
I got smtube working with some old pets, smplayer is still broken but vlc works well with smtube.

I do like this build :)
Thanks.
EDIT: I connected a second monitor,set them up with arandr(PPM),saved monitors.sh to /root/.screenlayout,also copied
monitors.sh to /root/startup.
I found 2 1920x1080 jpg files at wallpaperscraft.com and used PeasyGlue to put them side by side, copied newwall.jpg to
/to usr/share/backgrounds and made it the default wallpaper.
Then exited to the prompt and ran xorgwizard,specified the driver,screen resolution as 3840x1080,and bith depth
as 24 exited, xwin back to desktop.

This allows a different background on each monitor in JWM, I hope someone will find this method useful.
Attachments
2backgrounds.jpg
(45.7 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
screenshot.jpg
(89.42 KiB) Downloaded 773 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 21 Sep 2017, 02:37, edited 1 time in total.

belham2

#169 Post by belham2 »

Anybody feeling frisky or adventurous enough to give Stemsee's new 64 kernel 4.12.12 a shot in a 'makepup' build? And report back how it goes?? :D

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=450

musher0

#170 Post by musher0 »

belham2 wrote:Anybody feeling frisky or adventurous enough to give Stemsee's new 64 kernel 4.12.12 a shot in a 'makepup' build? And report back how it goes?? :D

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=450
Hi belham2

Which means YOU are NOT feeling frisky or adventurous!!! :lol:

As for me, I know from experience that my old machine slows down to a
crawl with any of the newer kernels beyond 4,1.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)