Studio 13.37 3.1 is out!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Pelo

any improvement is welcome. Free of charge, as an evidence.

#31 Post by Pelo »

excellent solutions for pro quality
audio in linux,
Sure audio in Windows is better than in Linux.. any improvement is welcome. Free of charge, as an evidence.
Improvements and solutions can be used for any puppies, i suppose.
Studio 13.37 is for musicians, for playing music with a computer. Is it ? I am just a listener (auditeur, in FR).

Post-scriptum :
In everyday life, if i decide to listen music, when doing some homework, i use my Windows 7 (with dolby system)
Most of time, i listen music when using my puppies , with apps included in multimedia section or pets loaded

Smithy

#32 Post by Smithy »

l0wt3ch, I tried 2.4 and it is having massive kernel panics and can't load modules.
Says a load of stuff about update db and usb.
Is it 1.2gb? I might have had a bad download, but I don't think so.
Tried from DVD, knocked it to usb. Still a lot of problems on boot.
If I yank all usb stuff out it will get to the desktop.
I think I have disabled UEFI csm awareness in bios. Does it need that turned on or something?
Last edited by Smithy on Sun 17 Sep 2017, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Limbomusic

just

#33 Post by Limbomusic »

Hello l0wt3ch :-)
Do you know if Reason from Propellerheads will work under wine in Studio1337?
And
Is the Steinberg CI2 supported ?

l0wt3ch

#34 Post by l0wt3ch »

2.4 needs to be dd'ed to a usb stick. If it doesn't work for you, try the different boot options. It comes with 3 kernels. If it still doesn't work, it's possible it's not compatible - too new for your hardware or whatnot.

3.0 uses the uefi setup from xenialpup, so all you have to do is format a usb stick to fat32 and enable the boot flag, and you can just transfer all the files on the iso to the stick.

As for Reason etc, I didn't test them yet. And I can't, because I'm out of the country.

The first page loads slow because it's loading a gif. For those with slow/limited Internet, sorry about that. I am just really stoked about the new video header. :)

Smithy

#35 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for getting back on it l0wt3ch, will give those options a try!

aloo-shu

#36 Post by aloo-shu »

Happy that I was patient and tried the old v2.4 instead, I instantly ran into a bug that would have made me feel sorry had I spent any of my scarce bucks - the so called 'real time session' (basically qjackctl) only works as long as no save file is byloaded, i.e. fresh installs, or no save file sessions. On sessions with a save file loaded, jack crashes with an error regarding not being able to lock appx. 85MB worth of memory, which shouldn't be a problem at 4GB RAM, conky showing most of it unused, and a save file kept at only 64MB for the sake of testing the bug. Setting jack to forgo locking memory didn't change anything, but in any case, jack should be able to liberally reserve buffer space, so any insights on which config needs tuning here, very welcome.
I will most probably stay on the "free like in free beer"-side until further notice, I don't go to bars or have pizzas out neither, you know, if I can change strings once a year, it has been a
good year, so you will understand that I regard attempts to market FLOSS for $$ with very mixed feelings. But that said, I'm pretty impressed with studio1337, definitely more than just a haphazard collection of software, one can see that some work has gone into it, very slick and configurable desktop environment with various pieces of software playing together nicely, yet still recognizably a puppy. A pity I cannot test whether the suite of audio software interoperates just as flawlessly, and if there really is an edge latency-wise. V2.4 is surprisingly up to date, too, ubuntu(-studio) xenial, by and large, won't give you newer pkgs, unless, of course, you make use of the great work that falktx has never charged a penny for, and add the kxstudio repos (or use kxstudio straight away).

Sailor Enceladus

#37 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Thanks aloo-shu for reminding me about Studio v2.4, and the nice review. Got the iso and will play with it again when I get home :)

l0wt3ch

#38 Post by l0wt3ch »

Just a minor update, with kernel 4.13.13-rt5 (32 and 64 bit), Ardour 5.12, Guitarix 0.36.1, etc, various bug-fixes.

l0wt3ch

#39 Post by l0wt3ch »

Fixed a bug where mouse/keyboard didn't work for some people after boot.

Thanks ciento!

l0wt3ch

#40 Post by l0wt3ch »

I still have the pc I originally developed Puppy Studio on, what's it been, ten years now? It was always a crappy machine, barely ran XP. These days I only use it to monitor my security cameras.

I put in the Studio 13.37 3.1 DVD, and was amazed when it booted right up. And it's fast - seems like my newer laptop. I was able to easily connect to my POD HD500X and record. Pretty impressive. I hadn't tried 13.37 on that computer in years.

Just goes to show how small, fast, and powerful Puppy Linux really is.

stemsee

#41 Post by stemsee »

Hi I0wt3ech

I was using v2.4 to record a track to submit to taximusic.com. I couldn't use calf plugins without ardour crashing.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is an upgrade path for me to v3.1?

cheers
stemsee