64-bit Cinelerra 6.0 / 32-bit Cinelerra 4.2...

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Mike Walsh

64-bit Cinelerra 6.0 / 32-bit Cinelerra 4.2...

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

Evening, all.

@Mikeslr:-

Thanks for drawing my attention to the ready-made 64-bit binary for Cinelerra, direct from their website.. I know you mentioned it somewhere the other day, but I'm hanged if I can find it at the mo.....

Be that as it may, I downloaded the tarball at the time, and put it to one side for later perusal. So I knew I'd got it safe..!

-------------------------------------------------------------

I've been using OpenShot for a while; used it for putting together a few video tutorials for various folks over at BleepingComputer. It's okay, but it's definitely 'buggy'; that's the only word that applies to it. And apparently this behaviour has persisted for years, over many releases.

I'd heard about Cinelerra, and thought I'd give it a try. Trying to find packages of it for Puppy is not that easy, however. Don570 did have a series of packages, hosted at DataFileHost, but it seems the links have long since expired due to lack of activity; I know for a fact they have a 6-month 'cut-off' policy, when stuff isn't regularly accessed.

Anybody happen to know where there's a working 32-bit package, just out of curiosity? Pet or SFS, it's all the same to me; doesn't matter.

------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow; back to the current 64-bit download. I've been working with this in Tahr64, which is the only 64-bit Pup I'm running these days.

Extracting the tarball, it appears to be totally self-contained. Clicking on the cinelerra binary, it fired straight up.....so Tahr must have everything required for it to run. It also doesn't appear to matter what directory you extract it to, so long as it all remains together in the same one.

This thing is just a wee bit different to OpenShot, I'll give it that!! It's going to have a steep learning curve, I just know it is.....but for me, that's all part of the fun.

In some respects, it's rather like many of the increasingly popular Electron-based apps; everything contained together in one directory, together with the binary and all needed dependencies.....usually, the only requirement is that the glibc be the required minimum.

Anyway, since I dislike having to mess around with clicking on bare binaries, and prefer Menu entries for less commonly used apps, I've packaged this up, together with a sym-linked /usr/bin entry, and a .desktop file in /usr/share/applications, for ease of use. It definitely runs fine in Tahr64; other 64-bitzers will need experimenting with to see what's what.

For anyone who may be interested in trying this out, you can find it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/zza06z59i ... -amd64.sfs

SFS only; it's 155 MB unpacked!!

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 05 Sep 2017, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.

jake29

#2 Post by jake29 »

Thanks for this Mike. No obvious issues with running the sfs in FatDog64.

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

Afternoon, kiddiwinks.

Well, we now have a working 32-bit package.....in both .pet and SFS!

I knew I'd downloaded Don570's package that he put together for Wary/Racy. I've had it installed in Racy for a while.

Don assembled things as a 'bundle'; the Cinelerra .pet, an 'Extra Fonts' .pet, and a 'libs' pet. I finally tracked down the tarball late last night (I've got so much stuff kicking around, it's untrue! :roll: :oops: ), and what I've done is to assemble everything into one single package, which I've made up into both .pet and SFS.

I've barely scratched the surface of things yet. I've got the hang of loading a video, and previewing it in the viewer, but any kind of editing is still to come. But what's more impressive is the fact that this thing runs in absolutely every 32-bit Pup I've thrown it at; I've been through the entire kennels this morning, and not had one failure.

And that, quite frankly, is unreal.....by Puppy standards! It will definitely run under

Racy 5.5
Lucid 5.2.8.7
Precise 571
Upup Raring
Slacko 560
Slacko 570
Tahrpup 6.05
, and
Xenialpup 7081

This is an older version, it's true; it's 4.2.....the current, 64-bit release is 6.0. But you can no longer get 32-bit packages any more, since the team aren't producing any further 32-bit releases. 'Tis the way of the world, unfortunately; everything's heading toward 64-bit only. (I'm waiting for the very first 128-bit CPU to make its appearance... :lol: )

Do be warned; the 32-bit version is not supposed to be as stable as its 64-bit counterpart.....and, like I said, I haven't done very much with it as yet. Time will tell...

Anyroad, for anyone who'd like to try this out, head on over to

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/m33xbg ... /Cinelerra

...and grab yourselves a copy. Have fun, and.....enjoy!

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

jake29 wrote:Thanks for this Mike. No obvious issues with running the sfs in FatDog64.
Ah, that's good, Jake. I'm pleased to hear that, mate. I've used OpenShot on & off for a while; I've made a few tutorials with SimpleScreenRecorder, but had to stitch video from one machine and commentary from another (using another of Don570's utilities, Bacon Recorder) together for one of 'em. OpenShot's sort of OK, but it's as buggy as hell. It's apparently behaviour that's persisted over several releases. So, I wanted to give Cinelerra a try...

Glad to hear this is working for you.

LazY Puppy

#5 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have a Cinelerra 5.1 RoxApp running in Tahr 6.0.2. Cinelerra 5.1 seems to be the last edition for 32bit.
Attachments
Screenshot-2017-09-05-21-41-18.jpg
(77.08 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink: