-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD10EZEX-00B
Optiarc DVD RW AD-5240S
TOSHIBA External USB 3.0

john biles

#18 Post by john biles »

Hello Belham2, As my test machines don't have booting from USB, believe it or not but I've never tried to install Legacy OS to USB. Sorry for your wasted time. I think I need to find a Pentium 4 PC that has USB booting. This is something I'll need to experiment with and write a guide on. Thanks for posting your xorg configuration. John

P.S if your reading this and have successfully booted Legacy OS from USB on your PC can you please share the information so it can help other forum members.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

john biles

#19 Post by john biles »

Hello jeffneedle,
Looking at your computer specs, this may sound strange but your computer might just be too new to run Legacy OS on. To Get Legacy OS to run well on Pentium 3 and 4 computers built between 1999 and 2006 which is the Hardware Legacy OS supports, most of Legacy's system files date back to 2007. This means drivers for Graphics Cards, Sound Card, Motherboards etc built after 2007 may not be supported by Legacy OS.

This I feel is the reason why you can't run Legacy OS on your Computer.

jeffneedle

#20 Post by jeffneedle »

Oh dear. Okay, thanks so much. I appreciate the help.

jeffneedle

#21 Post by jeffneedle »

Before closing this thread, I wish there were some way to install the Legacy look and feel to Puppy Tahr. I really love the way it looks. Thanks to all for their help.

john biles

#22 Post by john biles »

Hello jeffneedle,
To get this look in Puppy Tahr you need the ICEWM Window Manager and a large part of KDE3 plus Legacy's themes. If you're running ICEWM on Puppy Tahr and want the ICEWM themes please let me know.
Attachments
1.jpg
(205.61 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

Puppyt

#23 Post by Puppyt »

Hi john, and Congratulations for your latest release!
I downloaded a copy from your sourceforge site earlier today, and am currently running a live-CD copy on a Dell Inspiron 1100, c2003 with P4 2.6GHz CPU, 2GB ram (yes I know that the manufacturers say there's a 1.5GB limit, but thanks to the wisdom of Mike Walsh on things Inspiron, I happily know better now). It's working really well - very snappy, especially compared to the XP home edition inherited on the 80GB hard-drive.
Really appreciate that you have developed your distro so comprehensively - standout is the Control Panel, and your IceWM/KDE combination of environment and applications hasn't skipped a beat.
(Yay! Magic-scripts is still on board!)

I can see that you've really spent blood sweat and tears on this - great choice of applications with plenty of options for a new user (especially I think) to explore and see what works best for them.
I'm writing in haste - there's certainly much more working OOTB without a startup delay of more than 3s - well, Scribus was about 5s but still noticeably faster than my Scribus on a TahrPup32 with over 6Gb ram - that was a pleasant surprise, cheers!
Like belham2 demonstrated earlier, some tweaking will be required to have this Xorg get the best out of the Digital Panel 1366x768 pixels - still very crisp but not getting the best out of your gorgeous backgrounds. No biggie, that won't take long to modify. REALLY appreciate seeing the new wifi applications you have included here - wlassistant and Rutilt. I see you have included the caveat on limited wifi support, and yes I'll have to hunt out a Puppy2-friendly driver for my DWL-G630 D-Link AirPlusG cardbus (pcmcia) wifi modem. Works well on the XP side of operation, maybe gives me a chance to try and dig out an ndiswrapper driver for the first time.
Again, great to see your efforts up to the fore again - Thanks John!
Attachments
legacy2017dell1100.jpg
(61.35 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

john biles

#24 Post by john biles »

Hello Puppyt, give my "How To" a go as I use the DWL 650G Card to connect to WiFi.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacy ... f/download

Also it looks like you battery monitor icon isn't at the bottom. Follow these instructions and hopefully you'll be able to see your Laptop Battery charge state.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacy ... f/download

Puppyt

#25 Post by Puppyt »

Hi John,
thank you for the rapid response - I had missed those tutorials/fact sheets that you have provided on your website, so I appreciate your help pointing those out for me. They look really helpful and particularly non-threatening to anyone new to non-MicroSoft environments, I think.

Currently I'm busy back in XP, ultra-defragging the HDD on the Dell so that I can do a dual-boot with Legacy2017, as a frugal install on a separate partition. Reckon this one is a keeper. Just some thoughts - I was surprised not to see Wine included. Perhaps it will be available in your repository at some future stage, given I think your aim to assist Windblown refugees over to the Puppy/alternative approach? Somehow I seem to recall Wine was standard in your earlier versions - but I may be quite mistaken given that it adds extra overhead and may not be used much by your broader intended audience. Don't get me wrong - I think Wine is generally better out than in.
*In my opinion*, recalling my earlier days getting into Puppy it was always really helpful to use pupplets that had Winkey functionality built-in. Of course not all hotkey combos are applicable in Puppy, but the old standby's of Win+f for search (pFind) etc would be especially encouraging to keep in for new refugees, given the initially daunting appearance of (treeless) Rox etc that may tend to discourage new users.
The only other thought I had was regarding the multiple desktops. In laptop operation the smaller screen area is a hassle without the ability to slide application windows around to new spaces. Something XP never got the hang of, especially, and arguably something Linux runs rings around anything that MicroSoft has offered. But I couldn't see how easy this is to achieve with IceWM's windows management. Is there a how-to for that somewhere perhaps - but don't dig it out for me. I just saw that you've had 800 downloads from your site in what, 28hrs since your release statement? You are going to be busy! Well done.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

john biles

#26 Post by john biles »

Hello Puppyt,
Wine version 1.7.4 for Legacy OS 2.1 LTS is a simply one click install away.
Download from here https://sourceforge.net/projects/legacy ... z/download

Open the root directory with the ROX File Manager and right mouse click over the tar.gz file for Wine and select "Install Package". Simply watch as Legacy installs Wine and adds it to the Applications Menu. If you right mouse click over any exe file, you can click wine to hopefully get that program running.

This version of Wine was released in October 2013

Why Wine isn't included by default is simply its size. As it's now very easy to install extra software created for Legacy OS, there was no need to remove lots of included applications to make way for Wine.

foxpup

need my old machine again

#27 Post by foxpup »

john biles wrote:Hello jeffneedle,
Looking at your computer specs, this may sound strange but your computer might just be too new to run Legacy OS on. To Get Legacy OS to run well on Pentium 3 and 4 computers built between 1999 and 2006 which is the Hardware Legacy OS supports, most of Legacy's system files date back to 2007. This means drivers for Graphics Cards, Sound Card, Motherboards etc built after 2007 may not be supported by Legacy OS.

This I feel is the reason why you can't run Legacy OS on your Computer.
Hi john.
It's good you are back.
And what a surprise!
I had Legacy and Gamer on my old y2000 machine, but put the old thing in a corner since I have both a y2008 and y2016(!) machine. Now I have to dust the old worker to try your new Legacy. :D
It's not every day someone even bothers about the very old and classic puppies. Now that I come to think of it: I don't do many things now I cannot do with the old faithfull one.
Thanks for this! I appreciate it.

john biles

#28 Post by john biles »

Hello Foxpup,
Thank you for your feedback it's appreciated. To know users appreciate the work put into Legacy OS makes it all worth it. John

belham2

#29 Post by belham2 »

Hi John,

Had some more time to play with Legacy and get it set up again. I think maybe my previous post confused you: all I was trying to say that, when running LegacyOS live from a CD, it refuses on my machines to save to a blank ext3 usb a newly created savefile it itself set up. Strange stuff, happen with two diff USBs. Anyhow, no biggie, I'll find a solution to that no problem.

What I had a more pressing concern is this: from a LegacyOS2017 burned iso CD, I have installed Legacy three different ways on my P4 machine, with 1GB ram. 1st way, installed straight to a USB and then from there on out boot from the USB (using FLOP to trick the P4 in the beginning). 2nd time, I installed to a internal SD card that is situated on a special adapter micro-mini board where it converts the SDHC straight into the IDE slot, of which I have two open on my 1997 motherboard. 3rd way, I installed Legacy straight to an old IDE hard drive.

All installs went fine, but there is something troubling me: despite me setting up 1GB swap each time on each install medium, when LegacyOS loads up, it is resting at nearly 900MB max on the cache of the RAM. It has a lock on that RAM and I do not know how to break it. Pprocess says no program is open and nothing is going on, and the cpu is idling a a good, low 4-5%. But the cache for RAM, for each different install, each time it is maxed out exactly the same. As soon as I do anything in legacyOS, like open email, open a program, even open a file manager and terminal, the RAM goes to nearly full cache/capacity and Legacy OS immediately bogs down, and becomes nearly unresponsive (having to wait 4-5 minutes between clicks) And heaven forbid if I try to open and use the default Opera browser....the ram immediately goes to 100%, cache is maxed out, the cpu starts struggling like crazy, shuffling stuff over to swap, yet the cache still stays maxxed out. The system definitely then becomes unusable.

John you have any ideas on what might be going on, and why LegacyOS2017 is staking claim to so much cache/RAM at bootup when stuff isn't even open nor is it even using it?? Yet something is laying claim to all that cache.

Is anyone else (could you please check) seeing this happen on their installs of LegacyOS 2017? Just open Control Panel, from Menu, then open the SideBar, and take a gander at your RAM usage. Then, in terminal, do the following to see the /proc/mem info file:

$ cat /proc/meminfo

...and i wonder if you are seeing, like me, that you basically have little to no free ram left despite nothing being open in Legacy. Here's mine, notice how much of 1GB ram is taken already, after booting with nothing open (and, no, I am not running live and/or in ram):

This is the system at complete rest after first booting up (the numbers are virtually the same for all three install attempts)

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      1035712 kB
MemFree:        116312 kB
Buffers:         26096 kB
Cached:         784580 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:         486568 kB
Inactive:       409500 kB
HighTotal:      131008 kB
HighFree:          264 kB
LowTotal:       904704 kB
LowFree:        116048 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               0 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
AnonPages:       85424 kB
Mapped:          35116 kB
Slab:            17600 kB
PageTables:        732 kB
NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
Bounce:              0 kB
CommitLimit:    517856 kB
Committed_AS:   826904 kB
VmallocTotal:   114680 kB
VmallocUsed:      2128 kB
VmallocChunk:   112412 kB
sh-3.00#   
Or another way to put it is, type this in terminal:

Code: Select all

$ egrep --color 'Mem|Cache|Swap' /proc/meminfo
....and see if you've got nearly 800000 kb (800MB) or more of legacy sinking its teeth into your ram/cache at bootup & never letting it go after that.

Thanks

P.S. Also, Opera has to go and/or be upgraded: here's a small list of sites it cannot open:

---Google-drive, to get downloaded puppy stuff from all contributors here
---amazon
---the economist.com
---wired
---sciencedaily
---science.nasa.gov
---and the list goes on and on. It made surfing quite annoying....a newer Opera needs to be complied, along with newer security certififcates put inside LegacyOS, so sites across the web are accessible when surfing.
Attachments
1GB-ram-maxed-out-on-LegacyOS2017.png
(19.46 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

john biles

#30 Post by john biles »

Hello Belham2,
I've just done a fresh install to a ext2 format IDE Hard Drive. When Legacy OS installs it unzips to 1747MB on the Hard Drive. Legacy OS does use a large percentage of a users ram to speed up the opening of Apps. As I've only got 504mb of ram it uses 335mb. My CPU usage is very low.

Your Hard Drive size in the Sidebar image shows as only being 756mb in size with 691mb used. Your Ram show 856mb used. I've got the feeling Legacy is trying to run using both. When Legacy runs from the CD it uses both the Ram and CD if the Ram isn't big enough.

I also notice you have no Swap partition set up.

This leads to Opera not having enough space to open Web pages.

I tried the websites you said don't open and they appear to on my computer a Pentium 4 with a 1.7Ghz processor and 512mb ram.

Is it possible for you to reformat from ext3 to ext2 with at least 4Gb of Hard Drive, 500mb of Swap and see how that goes. Also check next post for my egrep --color 'Mem|Cache|Swap' /proc/meminfo
Attachments
opera.jpg
(153.55 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
fresh install.jpg
(10.37 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
Last edited by john biles on Sat 09 Sep 2017, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

john biles

#31 Post by john biles »

Hello Belham2,
Here's my terminal using the command egrep --color 'Mem|Cache|Swap' /proc/meminfo with no apps open. Thanks John
Attachments
Konsole.jpg
(29.65 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

belham2

#32 Post by belham2 »

john biles wrote: When Legacy runs from the CD it uses both the Ram and CD if the Ram isn't big enough.

I also notice you have no Swap partition set up.

Is it possible for you to reformat from ext3 to ext2 with at least 4Gb of Hard Drive, 500mb of Swap and see how that goes.

Hi John,

Thanks for answering. I thought I could run everything off a 1GB micro SDHC card (been spoiled all these years by puppies that max out around 500-600MB), but what you said makes clear I need some more oooomph. So I've grabbed me a 8GB SDHC card and am going to set it up today, along with putting the swap directly on it (instead of locating swap off the booted sdhc card, like I was doing-----it was unplugged for the pics I posted that's why it showed swap of "0").

Will let you know how it goes. It's kinda cool to hear the old P4 beast roaring back to life every day under the desk for more than just an hour........previously, it was only getting a sporadic bi-weekly 1 hr workouts with rerwin's latest Lucid and of course Barry's Precise 5.7 & Racy.

Thanks again!

john biles

#33 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone who has installed Legacy OS 2017 to Hard Drive and have noticed each time you boot up that the Xorgwizard keeps asking you to set up your screen resolution. Install this tar.gz by opening the ROX File Manager and right mouse clicking over it selecting "Install Package". The bug fix will be installed. Next time you boot up, you will be asked to set screen resolution once. After that Legacy OS should boot straight to the Desktop.

Some much time is spent making sure bugs have been fixed and one sneaks through! ARRRH!
Attachments
xorgwizard-bug-fix.tar.gz
(31.68 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

sc0ttman

#34 Post by sc0ttman »

john biles wrote:Some much time is spent making sure bugs have been fixed and one sneaks through! ARRRH!
Lol, I know that feeling!
I like to remind myself most users who don't encounter bugs stay silent..

LegacyOS still looks like a fantastic piece of work, BTW..
Hopefully, it has a 'service pack' style auto-bugfix-installer thingy?
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

Puppyt

#35 Post by Puppyt »

Hi John,
I've done a frugal ("coexist") install of Legacy2017 on a dedicated ext2 partition on a Dell Inspiron 1100 (2.6 GHx P4, 2GB ram). Somehow Legacy's grub2 install didn't play nice with the setup I had constructed, with WinXP in the first, ntfs partition and grub installed to MBR. However I simply overwrote it with grub4 and now I get the selection menu up and Legacy loading without drama.
Thanks again for your earlier suggestions regarding the D-link DWL-G630, it actually has the the rt61 chip. It seems to have been a bit of an issue historically for Puppy2 series, and tempestuous posted a series of updated wifi drivers for it and a range of other cards. *Which you actually provide* a package of -or an updated version- in the help-info folder you mentioned for installing the battery meter pup! That's forethought for you :)

So installed the rt61-20090412-k2.6.18.1.pet, and was able to load the rt61 driver correctly for a persistent "ra0" interface in the network setup interface. Now another problem has cropped up, in that I need to connect to a managed WPA2 (WPA/TKIP encryption option) profile. Scans fine, able to construct profiles with passwords fine, tests fine ("Legacy OS was able to find an alive network") - just keeps dropping out at the "Auto DHCP" selection stage of the proceedings. I have been testing out different options in the "WPA Driver" (Atheros/Prism/other) and "AP Scan" options (Supplic/Driver/Hidden), but no dice yet.
Then there is the RutilT application for RT61 Wireless that I am trying, but after making a new profile there it only has an option to select WEP and not WPA encrypytion. The card leds are flashing, but to no result after about 5 minutes continuous. Similarly, the Wireless assistant sees all the networks available but fails to connect with the correct password provided. I'll try rebooting a few times to see if something sticks, and I'll dig out some command-line commands to help track down where the 'disconnect' might actually be. Never tried manually entering in a static IP before, might be my chance if it's required for a workaround,
Best Wishes :)
Search engines for Puppy