Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Nov 2017, 00:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
XFCE 4.12 for XenialPup 64bit
Page 6 of 6 [81 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:56    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
So I copied palemoon.default file form another installation and all was working great. Then I decided to finish it off I'd see if the xfce weather plugin would work in this installation. Bad move! I found it in PPM and just clicked "Do It!". As I'd installed it via PPM previously wasn't expecting any issues. It installed a bunch of dependencies, including an older version of xfce4-panel version 4.12.0 and I assume other older program versions to what were already installed. So my Applications menu was changed, no Utilities or Shutdown. So I am going to start over again. Tomorrow.

At least I found that the xfce weather plugin still has issues.

Terry,

I tried, on Page 1, to warn (I guess not successfully Crying or Very sad ) to AVOID PPM with anything xfce panel-related. It sure opened my eyes, lol, and since then (where XFCE is concerned) I only download stuff and never let it install. Most other pups, PPM is fine, even in Barry's new creations. Not for anything XFCE-related, though.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=967403#967403
Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:29    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Terry H wrote:
So I copied palemoon.default file form another installation and all was working great. Then I decided to finish it off I'd see if the xfce weather plugin would work in this installation. Bad move! I found it in PPM and just clicked "Do It!". As I'd installed it via PPM previously wasn't expecting any issues. It installed a bunch of dependencies, including an older version of xfce4-panel version 4.12.0 and I assume other older program versions to what were already installed. So my Applications menu was changed, no Utilities or Shutdown. So I am going to start over again. Tomorrow.

At least I found that the xfce weather plugin still has issues.

Terry,

I tried, on Page 1, to warn (I guess not successfully Crying or Very sad ) to AVOID PPM with anything xfce panel-related. It sure opened my eyes, lol, and since then (where XFCE is concerned) I only download stuff and never let it install. Most other pups, PPM is fine, even in Barry's new creations. Not for anything XFCE-related, though.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=967403#967403

Thanks belham, you just reminded me that I did read that when the thread was started. As it took me a while to get around the trying this derivative battleshooter created, I forgot about that. It's no big deal to delete a savefile and start again, I had only made very minor changes, so a couple of reboots and 15 minutes later I'm back to where I messed up.

I re-downloaded the weather plugin and it works, sort of. The search for location doesn't work, but the default setting which is a town 8 miles from here is OK. I changed the Latitude & Longitude, but not sure that does anything.

Thinking out loud, maybe I'll change the co-ordinates to somewhere where there is different weather forecast and see if it changes the forecast.

Edit: I just changed the co-ordinates to Darwin in the Properties and the forecast changed to Darwin's forecast. So it is not necessary to use the search function. Just change the Location Name and latitude and longitude without doing a search and the weather information will be changed accordingly.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 15:46    Post subject:  

Hi everyone,

Ok, I am in battleshooter's R3 ISO 'frugally' installed, and everything's generally been great. Tonight I downloaded from PPM both the systemloadmonitor-plugin and the whiskermenu-plugin (along with their dependencies) and installed them manually. They work great. But after installing the last (the whiskermenu-plugin) I have run into a problem with one of my own installed .pets that was functioning perfectly normally before tonight. It is 'redshiftgui', and I sort of can't live without this program. My eyes strain hard, to the point of hurting, without it. The problem I ran into is best described in the pic below; this is my first-ever (virgin, lol) experience with one of these 'segmentation' thingamagiggies. Sad

Anyone have an idea how I go about solving this? When I launch redshiftgui, from either the whiskermenu entry, or from /usr/bin or from terminal, this pic below is what I see. Thanks a lot for any help and/or advice.
redshiftgui-after-xfce4-whiskermenu-pligin-install.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.23 KB
 Viewed   118 Time(s)

redshiftgui-after-xfce4-whiskermenu-pligin-install.jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:33    Post subject:  

That's curious hmm. I opened up the Whisker's menu deb and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause a segfault. Did you compile Redshift yourself Belham or is it a converted deb?

Could you send me a link? I'll try reproduce the issue.

Glad though that you've had less issues from your first test run Smile

belham2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 04:36    Post subject:  

battleshooter wrote:
That's curious hmm. I opened up the Whisker's menu deb and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause a segfault. Did you compile Redshift yourself Belham or is it a converted deb?

Could you send me a link? I'll try reproduce the issue.

Glad though that you've had less issues from your first test run Smile

Hi Battleshooter,

I tried my redshiftgui compiles, and also what a few others have done...the same thing kept happening. Had even rebooted a few times last night. No luck. Then, well, this morning, no other way to describe it except something weird happened: I went into /usr/bin/ again, just to click the redshiftgui executable one last time to double check it wasn't a simple problem, and sure enough up popped the seg-fault notice. and I thought: crap, it really isn't going to work. Then, in that moment, out of frustration, I started rapidly left-clicking that executable...and after redshiftgui trying to wink on & start & spit up the seg-fault warnings like it always does.....at like the 6th-7th click......redshiftgui magically started. Shocked Now the crazy thing launches and starts no problems, like I am hallucinating and it never existed before. Rolling Eyes

I swear I am never going to, lol, understand code and/or the deep inner workings of it in linux or anywhere else. I am starting to think some of the scientists are right, we---humans, Earth, space, the universe---are all existing in one big running simulation & higher powers who created it are having a blast confounding us each & every day. Laughing

Thanks for looking at it and responding. Hopefullly, it never appears again. Cool
battleshooter

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 09:12    Post subject:  

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111885

New thread for iso. Not sure on the name or on how the version numbers should go now though Laughing

Page 6 of 6 [81 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: