Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Jan 2018, 11:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
XFCE 4.12 for XenialPup 64bit
Page 6 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 12:56    Post subject:  

Terry H wrote:
So I copied palemoon.default file form another installation and all was working great. Then I decided to finish it off I'd see if the xfce weather plugin would work in this installation. Bad move! I found it in PPM and just clicked "Do It!". As I'd installed it via PPM previously wasn't expecting any issues. It installed a bunch of dependencies, including an older version of xfce4-panel version 4.12.0 and I assume other older program versions to what were already installed. So my Applications menu was changed, no Utilities or Shutdown. So I am going to start over again. Tomorrow.

At least I found that the xfce weather plugin still has issues.

Terry,

I tried, on Page 1, to warn (I guess not successfully Crying or Very sad ) to AVOID PPM with anything xfce panel-related. It sure opened my eyes, lol, and since then (where XFCE is concerned) I only download stuff and never let it install. Most other pups, PPM is fine, even in Barry's new creations. Not for anything XFCE-related, though.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=967403#967403
Terry H

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 20:29    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Terry H wrote:
So I copied palemoon.default file form another installation and all was working great. Then I decided to finish it off I'd see if the xfce weather plugin would work in this installation. Bad move! I found it in PPM and just clicked "Do It!". As I'd installed it via PPM previously wasn't expecting any issues. It installed a bunch of dependencies, including an older version of xfce4-panel version 4.12.0 and I assume other older program versions to what were already installed. So my Applications menu was changed, no Utilities or Shutdown. So I am going to start over again. Tomorrow.

At least I found that the xfce weather plugin still has issues.

Terry,

I tried, on Page 1, to warn (I guess not successfully Crying or Very sad ) to AVOID PPM with anything xfce panel-related. It sure opened my eyes, lol, and since then (where XFCE is concerned) I only download stuff and never let it install. Most other pups, PPM is fine, even in Barry's new creations. Not for anything XFCE-related, though.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=967403#967403

Thanks belham, you just reminded me that I did read that when the thread was started. As it took me a while to get around the trying this derivative battleshooter created, I forgot about that. It's no big deal to delete a savefile and start again, I had only made very minor changes, so a couple of reboots and 15 minutes later I'm back to where I messed up.

I re-downloaded the weather plugin and it works, sort of. The search for location doesn't work, but the default setting which is a town 8 miles from here is OK. I changed the Latitude & Longitude, but not sure that does anything.

Thinking out loud, maybe I'll change the co-ordinates to somewhere where there is different weather forecast and see if it changes the forecast.

Edit: I just changed the co-ordinates to Darwin in the Properties and the forecast changed to Darwin's forecast. So it is not necessary to use the search function. Just change the Location Name and latitude and longitude without doing a search and the weather information will be changed accordingly.
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 15:46    Post subject:  

Hi everyone,

Ok, I am in battleshooter's R3 ISO 'frugally' installed, and everything's generally been great. Tonight I downloaded from PPM both the systemloadmonitor-plugin and the whiskermenu-plugin (along with their dependencies) and installed them manually. They work great. But after installing the last (the whiskermenu-plugin) I have run into a problem with one of my own installed .pets that was functioning perfectly normally before tonight. It is 'redshiftgui', and I sort of can't live without this program. My eyes strain hard, to the point of hurting, without it. The problem I ran into is best described in the pic below; this is my first-ever (virgin, lol) experience with one of these 'segmentation' thingamagiggies. Sad

Anyone have an idea how I go about solving this? When I launch redshiftgui, from either the whiskermenu entry, or from /usr/bin or from terminal, this pic below is what I see. Thanks a lot for any help and/or advice.
redshiftgui-after-xfce4-whiskermenu-pligin-install.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   67.23 KB
 Viewed   340 Time(s)

redshiftgui-after-xfce4-whiskermenu-pligin-install.jpg

battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017, 22:33    Post subject:  

That's curious hmm. I opened up the Whisker's menu deb and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause a segfault. Did you compile Redshift yourself Belham or is it a converted deb?

Could you send me a link? I'll try reproduce the issue.

Glad though that you've had less issues from your first test run Smile

belham2

PostPosted: Thu 19 Oct 2017, 04:36    Post subject:  

battleshooter wrote:
That's curious hmm. I opened up the Whisker's menu deb and there doesn't seem to be anything in there that would cause a segfault. Did you compile Redshift yourself Belham or is it a converted deb?

Could you send me a link? I'll try reproduce the issue.

Glad though that you've had less issues from your first test run Smile

Hi Battleshooter,

I tried my redshiftgui compiles, and also what a few others have done...the same thing kept happening. Had even rebooted a few times last night. No luck. Then, well, this morning, no other way to describe it except something weird happened: I went into /usr/bin/ again, just to click the redshiftgui executable one last time to double check it wasn't a simple problem, and sure enough up popped the seg-fault notice. and I thought: crap, it really isn't going to work. Then, in that moment, out of frustration, I started rapidly left-clicking that executable...and after redshiftgui trying to wink on & start & spit up the seg-fault warnings like it always does.....at like the 6th-7th click......redshiftgui magically started. Shocked Now the crazy thing launches and starts no problems, like I am hallucinating and it never existed before. Rolling Eyes

I swear I am never going to, lol, understand code and/or the deep inner workings of it in linux or anywhere else. I am starting to think some of the scientists are right, we---humans, Earth, space, the universe---are all existing in one big running simulation & higher powers who created it are having a blast confounding us each & every day. Laughing

Thanks for looking at it and responding. Hopefullly, it never appears again. Cool
battleshooter

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017, 09:12    Post subject:  

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111885

New thread for iso. Not sure on the name or on how the version numbers should go now though Laughing

mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec 2017, 21:37    Post subject: XFCE 4.12 Pet with Customized Whisker Menu  

Hi battleshooter and All,

On a different thread I withdrew the Xfce-panel I had published, recommending instead either your Xfce 4.12 pet or radky's PupMenu 6 as superior products.

I particularly like your pet since, with several computers previously running the 'stock jwm-rox' XenialPup64, I didn't have to rebuilt them from scratch. And while I think you did an excellent job getting Xfce to play nice with the menu categorizations common to applications built for Puppies, I still prefer the way Whisker Menu handles matters. So like belham2, I did the easy install of the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin deb via PPM.

By itself, however, Whiskermenu doesn't know how to handle the "Puppy-standard" categorization of categories. Having spent an evening multi-tasking --working on that problem while watching TV Smile -- the xfce-applications.menu I composed does.

I've attached a copy for any who want to use it. Just remove the false "gz" ending and place it in /root/.config/menus. You'll probably have to create the menus folder: browse to /root/.config, right-click an empty space, select New>Directory and name it "menus" --without the quotes.

A Restart-x is necessary for it to take effect. Doing that does not interfere with the how the "Applications" Menu provided by your pet handles Categories.

Right-Clicking the Whiskermenu icon and selecting "Properties" enables its customization. I'll discuss customization of "commands" in my next post as some default commands are not "the way Puppy does things".

mikesLr
xfce-applications.menu.gz
Description  Remove false gz-ending. Create /root/.config/menus and drop it in. Restart-x.
gz

Download 
Filename  xfce-applications.menu.gz 
Filesize  11.8 KB 
Downloaded  22 Time(s) 

Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 20 Dec 2017, 14:05; edited 1 time in total
belham2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 05:19    Post subject: Re: XFCE 4.12 Pet with Customized Whisker Menu  

mikeslr wrote:

On a different thread I withdrew the Xfce-panel I had published, recommending instead either your Xfce 4.12 pet or radky's PupMenu 6 as superior products.

I particularly like your pet since, with several computers previously running the 'stock jwm-rox' XenialPup64, I didn't have to rebuilt them from scratch. And while I think you did an excellent job getting Xfce to play nice with the menu categorizations common to applications built for Puppies, I still prefer the way Whisker Menu handles matters. So like belham2, I did the easy install of the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin deb via PPM.

By itself, however, Whiskermenu doesn't know how to handle the "Puppy-standard" categorization of categories. Having spent an evening multi-tasking --working on that problem while watching TV Smile -- the xfce-applications.menu I composed does.

I've attached a copy for any who want to use it. Just remove the false "gz" ending and place it in /root/.config/menus. You'll probably have to create the menus folder: browse to /root/.config, right-click an empty space, select New>Directory and name it "menus" --without the quotes.

A Restart-x is necessary for it to take effect. Doing that does not interfere with the how the "Applications" Menu provided by your pet handles Categories.

Right-Clicking the Whiskermenu icon and selecting "Properties" enables its customization. Most are self-explanatory. I'll edit this post regarding customization of "commands" as some default commands are not "the way Puppy does things".

mikesLr

Hi Mike,

Thank you for this....in a frugal-install of Battleshooter's latest Xenialpup64, yesterday I had installed (via PPM) the cpu-graph-monitor for the tray, and next thing I knew I was faced with that old problem of not only the "Applications" menu going pyschotic (in terms of Categories) but also the the "Whisker-Menu" went nuts too. Applications stuck everything in the "Other" folder again Rolling Eyes and Whisker-Menu was missing a lot of stuff.

So, first I ran rg66's fix for what the PPM download-install did, then I saw your post here for Whisker, ran it afterward, and now everything appeared and is nice & organized inside the whisker-menu.

Thank you much! Hope you & yours are having a Safe and Happy Holidays Wink
battleshooter

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 09:49    Post subject: Re: XFCE 4.12 Pet with Customized Whisker Menu  

Nice Mike, thanks for the shoutout.

If it doesn't affect the regular menu, I'll see about adding it to an updated pet, or maybe even the main iso, I know a lot of people like Whiskers.

@all

I've been thinking about updating this pet with the latest fixes from the iso, but I'm not sure if I should keep this pet in its basic form. Should I add the other xfce applications like xfce-screenshooter, xfce terminal and xfce audio mixer, or leave it as is and just add the new fixes? Thoughts?

belham2

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 10:00    Post subject: Re: XFCE 4.12 Pet with Customized Whisker Menu  

battleshooter wrote:
Should I add the other xfce applications like xfce-screenshooter, xfce terminal and xfce audio mixer, or leave it as is and just add the new fixes? Thoughts?

My vote is 'YES', definitely add them (be really nice if "CPU-GRAPH" was also included) Mr. Green
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec 2017, 16:37    Post subject:  

Hi battleshooter,

battleshooter wrote:

I've been thinking about updating this pet with the latest fixes from the iso, but I'm not sure if I should keep this pet in its basic form. Should I add the other xfce applications like xfce-screenshooter, xfce terminal and xfce audio mixer, or leave it as is and just add the new fixes? Thoughts?

Adding Whisker-Menu to the iso and pet as an optional panel plugin would be good. Those already familiar with Puppy's Menu structure may still prefer it and you did a really good job with having your current menu recognize Puppy's Menu Categories. Frankly, I have both on my panel as I still sometimes find it easier to go to the Category where I expect an application to be on a 'Puppy Menu' than having to hunt for it or type its name into the search box on the Whisker Menu.

My real preference for Whisker Menu is that I can assign the applications I commonly use to "Favorites", have the Menu open to that 'Category' and not have to think any further.

+1 for adding other xfce applications like xfce-screenshooter, xfce terminal and xfce audio mixer to both the ISO and the pet.

I emphasized the "and pet" above because regardless of how much interest and time you'll have to continue the development of Xfce-Xenialpup64 or turn your attention to 'Bionic' when it becomes a suitable platform for Puppy Operating Systems, the pet is of value in its own right. It enabled me to quickly adapt already running Puppies to my preferred desktop environment. I expect when 'Bionic Beaver' is developed for Puppy, it will at first appear with the Puppy-standard JWM-Rox-Combo. And by now I've grown attached to Rox. If you have an interest in doing so, I would think it would be far more work intensive to build an xfce-Bionic-Puppy-iso than to just build an xfce pet using Bionic binaries and your experience building the pet for Xenialpup64. Kind of jump-starting the transition away from JWM for Puppy users and yourself even if you intend to create an xfce-bionic-puppy.

Regarding 'Puppifying' Whisker-Menu's commands: Right-clicking its icon, clicking "Properties" and then selecting the "Commands" tab reveals 6 commands which can, at least in theory, be modified. They relate to --are called by-- the launchers at the top of Whisker-Menu’s GUI, although only 5 launchers appear, including the one in the left corner next to the name “root”. This one relates to the command “Edit Profile”, something I neither know how to do, nor what application is used to do it. One launcher is for switching users, something I suspect can only be done on a Multi-user system.

The only 3? commands I found that I was able to modify were “All Settings”, "Lock Screen" and “Log Out”. I am uncertain about the latter. I don’t recall what command it used before I deleted it expecting to substitute the command for “Pup-Shutdown”. Unable to locate that application*, I used the command which brought up xfce’s shut-down command “shutdown-gui” --without the quotes. There’s a good chance, that was the command it originally had. At any rate, that module provides various options --such as Restart-X-- and works satisfactorily.

The second command I could modify was that for Edit All Settings. Originally, clicking its launcher brought up a GUI which was essentially blank. It is possible that what had been intended was to activate the application initiated by the command "xfce4-settings-editor” --without the quotes. That works. But I prefer the command “control-panel” --without the quotes. Control panel either provides access to more settings or I’m just more familiar with it.

Changing the command for “Edit Applications” [its default being libremenu which is not an included application] to menumanager, IIRC, previously not only worked but generated another launcher on the of the GUI. But it didn’t.

There is an icon/launcher for “Lock Screen”. This one may actually be of value to someone unlike myself. I doubt if anyone will break into my home to use my computer. And the only time, experimenting, I tried to set up Lock screen in any Puppy I managed to lock myself out. Embarassed The default command didn’t work. The only screen-lock applications I could find were Xlock-lock-screen and Xlock-setup. I would think "/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun -locknow” being that used by Xlock-lock-screen should be the appropriate application to use after running Xlock-setup from the Menu to configure it. But I’ll leave it to someone familiar with those applications to work out the details.

mikesLr

* I have just remembered that in my prior explorations rather than deal with manually editing jwm-tray to reduce its length I had installed FbBox. Pup-Shutdown is a component of FbBox. My reason for preferring the XFCE 4.12 pet over my xfce4-panel.sfs was that by providing an entire Window-Manager with an easily adjustable panel it overcame that limitation of my SFS.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2017, 20:23    Post subject: How do you add Icon themes? Solved  

I installed the xfce pet into Xenialpup64 and am wondering how to make use of additional Icon themes. As far as I could tell ONLY selecting Menu>Desktop>Appearance>Icons provides a means of choosing an icon theme. It reveals three sets: Flat Remix, Puppy Standard and Rox. I think the files relating to these themes are located at /usr/share/icons. It’s the only location where a Flat Remix folder containing icons shows up in pfind. On the other hand, that location doesn’t include a specific folder named “Rox”.

Built into Xenialpup64 are a number of other icon themes. They are found at /usr/local/lib/X11/themes. Neither symlinking the themes at /usr/local/lib/X11/themes to /usr/share/icons nor copying them to that location increased the themes available via Appearance>Icons. Neither a Restart-x nor a Save + Reboot helped.

Am I mistaken? Is Desktop>Appearance>Icons the right tool to use to change themes? Does some other module have to be run alone or in combination?

What does one actually have to do to use an icon theme other than the three provided?

Edit--Solved:
See my post a couple posts down.

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 21:15; edited 1 time in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2017, 20:49    Post subject: How can the desktop save2flash icon be changed? SOLVED  

Hi battleshooter & All,

As mentiioned in my previous post, I installed xfce pet to Xenialpup64. I run it under Pupmode 13 which automatically generates a save2flash icon on the desktop. Theoretically it is possible to change the icon used. Right-click the icon, select Edit Launcher from the popup menu, click the graphic to the right of the text “Icon:” and a GUI will open showing that the default icon is save.svg at /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy. The GUI enables you to browse to other icons and select one. Clicking Save on the GUI will immediately result in the new icon being used. That choice will survive an Restart-X. But not a reboot even when a Save (to SaveFile/Folder) was performed.

Any ideas beyond renaming an icon to that used by the default icon and substituting? If that would work --> untested?

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 24 Dec 2017, 14:48; edited 1 time in total
Marv

PostPosted: Fri 22 Dec 2017, 21:38    Post subject: Re: How can the desktop save2flash icon be changed?  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi battleshooter & All,

As mentiioned in my previous post, I installed xfce pet to Xenialpup64. I run it under Pupmode 13 which automatically generates a save2flash icon on the desktop. Theoretically it is possible to change the icon used. Right-click the icon, select Edit Launcher from the popup menu, click the graphic to the right of the text “Icon:” and a GUI will open showing that the default icon is save.svg at /usr/share/pixmaps/puppy. The GUI enables you to browse to other icons and select one. Clicking Save on the GUI will immediately result in the new icon being used. That choice will survive an Restart-X. But not a reboot even when a Save (to SaveFile/Folder) was performed.

Any ideas beyond renaming an icon to that used by the default icon and substituting? If that would work --> untested?

mikesLr
That desktop icon is generated by this code
Code:
if [ $PUPMODE -eq 3 -o $PUPMODE -eq 7 -o $PUPMODE -eq 13 ];then #pup_rw is tmpfs.
   mkdir -p /root/Desktop
   echo '[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=save2flash
Exec=save2flash
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/puppy/save.svg' > /root/Desktop/save2flash.desktop
else
   rm -f /root/Desktop/save2flash.desktop
in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. That is why it is overwriting your changes on boot. I just delete that desktop item in rc.local as I call save2flash from an entry in my main menu in all pups. Simply replacing the icon might be cleanest but you could also use rc.local to do the job.

Edited once to replace code with that relevant in XFCE.

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc, X-slacko 4.4 and X-tahr 2.0 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupArtful, ArtfulPup & XFCE_XenialPup64 for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 24 Dec 2017, 14:48    Post subject: Still looking for a way to add Icon Themes  

Hi Marv and All,

Thanks, Marv, for the detailed explanation. I decided that removing the Save icon from the desktop you suggested actually was more in line with my aesthetic. But rather than delete the section I commented it out.

Just a reminder. I'm still looking for a solution to this problem, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=978125#978125.

mikesLr
Page 6 of 7 [96 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Desktop
Jump to: