Is Macpup for Mac and does it work like Puppy Linux?

Booting, installing, newbie
mikehende

Is Macpup for Mac and does it work like Puppy Linux?

#1 Post by mikehende »

Hey guys, I have been using a puppy linux bootable cd on windows machines for a while now to read/copy off the windows machine damaged internal HDD. I am now looking to do the same on Mac machines.

Searching the net for a Mac version of Puppy Linux I came across Macpup, I am trying to go the Macpup forum but seems the web page is not working so I am inquiring here please.

Can anyone confirm if the Macpup is the same Puppy Linux software, if it is indeed for use on macs and if it works in the same was as windows where I can create a bootable disc with Macpup to boot outside of a Mac's HDD and be able to read/copy off a Mac's damaged HDD please? Thanks.

nic007

Re: Is Macpup for Mac and does it work like Puppy Linux?

#2 Post by nic007 »

mikehende wrote:Hey guys, I have been using a puppy linux bootable cd on windows machines for a while now to read/copy off the windows machine damaged internal HDD. I am now looking to do the same on Mac machines.

Searching the net for a Mac version of Puppy Linux I came across Macpup, I am trying to go the Macpup forum but seems the web page is not working so I am inquiring here please.

Can anyone confirm if the Macpup is the same Puppy Linux software, if it is indeed for use on macs and if it works in the same was as windows where I can create a bootable disc with Macpup to boot outside of a Mac's HDD and be able to read/copy off a Mac's damaged HDD please? Thanks.
As far as I know it is just a normal puppy with some eye-candy making it look like a mac. I may be wrong though.

mikehende

#3 Post by mikehende »

Ohh, I think you are correct. I had thought it would be a mac version of Puppy, thanks for the response.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Have you checked if the normal Puppy is able to read a mac filesystem (that feature may be enabled in newer puppys). Boot the puppy live cd and check if it can access the mac filesystem.
Last edited by nic007 on Fri 15 Sep 2017, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.

ally

#5 Post by ally »

mikehende

#6 Post by mikehende »

nic007 wrote:Have you checked if the normal Puppy is able to read a mac filesystem (that feature may be enabled in newer puppys). Boot the puppy live cd and check if it can access the mac filesystem.
Doesn't work.

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi mikehende,

You may want to take a look at these threads:
Live USB Puppy on iMac: test results, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 421#879421 and

No-format install for UEFI based machines Win8 & MacTel, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 727#818727

I'm not sure how the No-format install would translate to a CD/DVD-boot, but icakes post should help. He booted a couple Puppies from a CD. Additionally, Billtoo reported success with xenialpup64-7.0.8.5-uefi.iso, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 102#967102. You can download that ISO from here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/xenialpup/

Note the "uefi" designation in the name. Puppies bearing it have been created to work on PC's having the boot-mechanism Mac's refer to as just "efi". There are other Puppies which have it, but I don't know of any posts reporting their successful booting from Macs.

I really hope we can solve your problem and convert you to being a Puppy fan. Mike Walsh and I have this secret plan to get all the Mikes we can on the Forum. :lol:

mikesLr

nic007

#8 Post by nic007 »

mikehende

#9 Post by mikehende »

I appreciate all of the help guys but so far think my best bet is to try another linux combo I have found on the net but don't want to post here because I don;t know if it will break any rules.