Installed 2.10, now 2.02 runs very slow

Booting, installing, newbie
can8v

Installed 2.10, now 2.02 runs very slow

#1 Post by can8v »

I can't believe it myself. I have been running pupy since 107 and I installed 210 today and everything went fine for a couple of sessions, but now I went to boot a 202 frugal and it is taking twice as long to boot as prior to the install of 210, also the new 210 frugal install is suddenly taking twice as long to boot and running very slow. I am not getting any error messages, and everything seems to be working, but really really slow. I tried reinstalling, still it is slow. The only thing I haven't tried is deleting my pup_save.3fs file. I have a lot of custom settings in place and I would like to avoid going back to a pristeen install. All of my data is stored outside of my pup_save.3fs file in a persistant home directory, so that is a possibility, I will just have to manually restore all of my settings. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this????
Please help.
-J

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

If you're using the same save-file for both, they're probably having trouble loading it. The new one sees that it's old and updates it. The old one sees it as too new and may try to fix it, or may ignore it. Either way it resets it to thinking it's old again, so when you go back to the new it will have to update again.

Try using two savefiles (if they have different names: pup_save-202.3fs and pup_save-210.3fs, it will display a menu asking which to use).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

can8v

#3 Post by can8v »

PG
Thanks for the tip. I am using two separate pup_save.3fs files, but they were using the same name. I thought that since they were on separate partitions that wouldn't matter. I guess I was wrong. Nevertheless when it updates takes forever and doesn't save any of the settings from the previous version. I just changed the names using the convention you suggested. I am now unable to boot 202 at all, and 210 boots using the pup_save-210.3fs file, but still tries to udate. And runs really SLOWWWWWW.

Any ideas.

I don't have a burner, so maybe I should zip all of my data and upload it to one of my FTP accounts, before something serious happens. I have gotten kind of lazy about backing up since I have been using Puppy exclusively and it has been so reliable.

Pizzasgood

#4 Post by Pizzasgood »

Nope, no other ideas. I have almost no experience with updating pupfiles since I usually start fresh with each upgrade. I do a lot of experimenting with Puppy, so by the time Barry makes a new version my pupfile is pretty trashed. Starting over gives me a fresh environment to work in.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

can8v

#5 Post by can8v »

PG
That has been my experience as well, but this time I had everything set just the way I wanted it and lost it all. Usually I just dump it and start anew. When I went from 201 to 202 it worked wonderfully, transferred all of my settings, and then I promptly dumped them, because I didn't want to transfer them.
What could I expect if I just delete both 3fs files? I would have to do it while operating in the 210 frugal install. Would it be harmful to delete the 3fs file while puppy is using it, then just shut down and reboot?

Pizzasgood

#6 Post by Pizzasgood »

It might be better to boot in ram mode to delete them. I tried doing it while using the file before and sometimes it simply didn't delete it, other times it re-made it before I rebooted. Right now I could probably do it, but I'm running in mode 13, which means Puppy only writes to the file every thirty minutes and on shutdown. So, I could delete it, unmount everything, and hit the power button to make a clean break.

If you had a cd drive to boot from, you could type "puppy pfix=ram" to boot in ram mode. Since you're using a frugal install, you'd have to edit the boot-loader to have the line "pfix=ram" in the append section.

Otherwise you could either boot from another OS, or try removing it from within Puppy.

As far as the actual computer goes, just deleting the file won't hurt anything. It might mess the file up if it doesn't delete, but you're trying to get rid of it anyway. Although it could render Puppy un-bootable, but it should probably just dump you out at a console if it has trouble with the save file.

can8v

#7 Post by can8v »

Thanks PG
I think I can live with the worse case scenerio so I am going to dump them. If it renders 210 unbootable then hopefully it will render 202 bootable and I can boot that then delete it again from there.
-Jason