Pupget running out of space error with pupzip in Puppy 2.1 ?

Using applications, configuring, problems
john biles

Pupget running out of space error with pupzip in Puppy 2.1 ?

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone,
As I have only been a Puppy user for a few days now (Loving It!) I don't know if this is something I'm doing wrong or a Bug seeing Puppy 2.1 is new.

I decided to add some extra packages to Puppy like different IceMaker themes, Games etc.
All was going well until I got a "running out of space error no space left to unzip with Pupzip as I am about to start the download.
As the Packages I had already downloaded were in a the download folder, I deleted them hoping this would fix the problem and i could download more Packages. But the error still comes up?
Is there a built in limit for that folder?
Any ideas?? :cry:

raffy

/tmp

#2 Post by raffy »

This is something I am investigating in the use of the /tmp folder (which shall be the place holding temporary files) while Puppy is running as livecd. If I suspect that it is the problem, I copy its contents to a new /tmp folder in a Linux partition then rename the original /tmp. Finally, I create a link to the new /tmp: "ln -s /path/to/new/tmp"

I have just successfulyy installed the SCORM Player to PuppyLite this way. I will investigate further tomorrow - I have been trying to add the OpenOffice pupget unsuccessfully since yesterday.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

john biles

#3 Post by john biles »

Hello raffy,
Shouldn't the tmp folder hold more than a few MB's of data. I haven't had this problem with any other Distro I've tried?
I will give your idea a go and see what happens.

Any other Ideas I can try please responsed.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#4 Post by GuestToo »

/tmp in Puppy 1.x is in ram ... it is very fast, and the free space you have is the amount of ram you have plus the space in your swap file/partition

/tmp in Puppy 2.x is writing to the Puppy save file ... the free space you have is the free space you have in the save file ... it is also much slower than ram

multisession cd's and option 2 installs probably work differently

raffy

/tmp issue needs attention

#5 Post by raffy »

GuestToo:
tmp in Puppy 2.x is writing to the Puppy save file ... the free space you have is the free space you have in the save file
- this is what baffles me, as the size of the save file is large (referring probably to the swap file)*, but what am doing (that uses files in /tmp) still fails. It continued when I did as described above - transferred /tmp to a Linux partition with big enough room. Related to this - does Puppy retain 256 MB in the "save/swap" file as absolute minimum free space? If so, then using /tmp will fail when this limit is breached.

Incidentally, the "home" partition (that hosts "save"?) will have different names. In liveCD boot, I guess I see it as /mnt/home, but in CF-IDE boot, it is /initrd/save/ro (something like that :) ).

We need to solve this issue for Puppy 2+ to allow successful install of large packages without needing a hard drive.

PS - I still have to spend time studying how the save file works. :oops:
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy 1.x's save file is called something like pup001
Puppy 2.x's save file is called something like pup_save.3fs

basically, the same thing

the difference between Puppy 1.x and 2.x is that in 1.x, /root is in the save file, and /etc is in /root /.etc) and /usr is in the save file (/root/.usr) ... /bin, /lib, /sbin, /var, /tmp are all in ram and anything you put in those dirs will be gone when Puppy 1.x shuts down

Puppy 2.x also has /root in the save file, but it also has /bin, /lib, /sbin, /tmp, /var, /etc, etc etc etc

unionfs shows the files in the save file first, then what is in the pup_210.sfs file (read only)

in Puppy 1.x, if you write to /tmp, you are writing to ram and the swap file, if necessary

in Puppy 2.x, if you write to /tmp, you are writing directly to the save file ... the equivalent of Puppy 1.x's /root ... this is much slower than writing to ram, and the maximum space you have is the free space in the save file ... if you write too much to /tmp it will not overflow automatically to the swap space

with ram and swap space, i have over 700 megs of virtual ram ... if /tmp was in ram, i could write 5 or 6 hundred megs to /tmp

my Puppy 210 save file is 256 megs ... the maximum i could possibly write to /tmp would be 256 megs ... but i only have 178 megs free space in my save file (like pup001) ... so i can't put more than 178 megs in /tmp

in other words, writing to /tmp in Puppy 210 is about the same thing as writing to /root in Puppy 1.x

it works a little differently for multisession and for option 2 installs

john biles

#7 Post by john biles »

Hello GuestToo,
Currently I have Windows and 4 Linux Distro's installed on 2 hard drives.
I have Windows and Mepis Linux and swap on hda. I have Puppy 2.1, Elive and GNU LinEx on hdb and I boot them with the Mepis grub bootloader.
As all of them detected the same Swap partition on hda originally setup for Mepis during the install, I assumed that as only one operating system is going at one time that all of them could use the one swap partition (1GB).
Is this where I've made a mistake. My onboard ram is 512MB's is Puppy using that instead of the swap partition?

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#8 Post by GuestToo »

Puppy should use your swap partition automatically, you can type free in a console window to find out

in most Linux distros, /tmp is on the hard drive ... in Puppy 2.x series, /tmp is on the hard drive ... in the Puppy 1.x series, /tmp is in ram, which is much faster, and if you start filling up your ram, it can overflow to the swap space (which is not usually a good thing)

if /tmp is on the hard drive, if you use up your free space, it will not overflow into the swap space, you just run out of space, and there won't be enough space to write to the system configuration files in /etc and /root (if you run as an unprivileged user, usually the file system will keep some space in reserve for system files, running as root, that doesn't happen)

so the Puppy 2.x series behaves a little differently to the Puppy 1.x series