How to put a progress bar in dir2sfs? (Solved)

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
belham2

#16 Post by belham2 »

Hi rg66 & Fred,

Ok, kind of a dunce question: rg66, can I just copy your script, put it in a blank text file, name it whatever (i.e. "squashingit.sh"), then "chmod +x ..." it, then grab an icon for it, and save it to a handy place (desktop?). Thus I'll then be able to drag ANY directory I was getting ready to squash and place it on top of the script, and PRESTO..the script will come to life squashing that directory without me doing anything else?

Sorry if the above is a noob question; I just want to make sure I understand so i can use it. I've been unsquashing and especially squashing a lot of stuff this past week (modifying sfs files), and this script would save me the headache of pounding the long command I use into the terminal.

Only thing I wonder, is this script or can this script, be modified to compress at max "xz"? I use (what you taught me, Fred) this following command always when I am re-squashing a SFS and I am looking for smallest size possible:

Code: Select all

# mksquash dir-example 'new-sfs-name' -all-root -noappend -comp xz -b 1048576 -Xbcj x86
.....and for x86_64, I just add "_64" to the "x86" above (hope I am doing that correct)

Thanks, guys, for any feedback.

rg66

#17 Post by rg66 »

phat7 wrote: Almost all

if [ ! -d "$t" ];then 
   echo "error: no valid folder specified!" 
   exit 0 
 fi
Yep, definitely missed that one. Here's a new copy with option to over write existing sfs.

#!/bin/bash

t=`echo "$1" | sed "s/\/$//"`
z=`echo "$1" | sed "s/\/$//"`

[ ! -d "$t" ] && exit

if [ -f "$z.sfs" ];then
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Overwrite" --text="<b>$(basename $z).sfs</b> already exists.\n Would you like to overwrite it?\n" \
  --text-align="center" --borders="10" --buttons-layout="center" --button="gtk-yes:0" --button="gtk-no:1"
  case $? in
    0) rm -f "$z.sfs" "$z.sfs-md5.txt" ;;
    *) exit ;;
  esac
fi

yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title "Choose Compression Type" --text "Choose which algorthim to compress the sfs with.
Choosing XZ will give you a smaller iso but may
be slower than GZIP on very lowspec machines.
XZ-HC is a higher compression xz squashfile." --text-align="center" --borders="5" --buttons-layout="center" \
--button="GZIP:0" --button="XZ:1" --button="XZ-HC:2"
case $? in
  0) COMP="-comp gzip" ;;
  1) COMP="-comp xz" ;;
  2) COMP="-comp xz -b 1024k -Xbcj x86" ;;
  *) exit ;;
esac

script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" | while read -n 99 LINE ; do
PROG=`echo $LINE | egrep '[0-9]\%' | cut -f1 -d% | awk '{print $NF}'| grep -v '\.'`
echo "#$PROG%"
echo $PROG 
done | yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --progress --borders="10" --skip-taskbar --text="<b>Building $t.sfs</b>\n" \
--text-align="center" --width="250" --button="Stop!gtk-stop!Stop operation:1" --buttons-layout="center" --auto-close  
case $? in
0) while [ "`pidof mksquashfs`" ]; do
   sleep .2
   done ;;
*) killall mksquashfs
   rm -f typescript
   exit ;;  
esac

rm -f typescript
md5sum "$z.sfs" > "$z.sfs-md5.txt"
sync 
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

rg66

#18 Post by rg66 »

belham2 wrote:Hi rg66 & Fred,

Ok, kind of a dunce question: rg66, can I just copy your script, put it in a blank text file, name it whatever (i.e. "squashingit.sh"), then "chmod +x ..." it, then grab an icon for it, and save it to a handy place (desktop?). Thus I'll then be able to drag ANY directory I was getting ready to squash and place it on top of the script, and PRESTO..the script will come to life squashing that directory without me doing anything else?

Sorry if the above is a noob question; I just want to make sure I understand so i can use it. I've been unsquashing and especially squashing a lot of stuff this past week (modifying sfs files), and this script would save me the headache of pounding the long command I use into the terminal.

Only thing I wonder, is this script or can this script, be modified to compress at max "xz"? I use (what you taught me, Fred) this following command always when I am re-squashing a SFS and I am looking for smallest size possible:

# mksquash dir-example 'new-sfs-name' -all-root -noappend -comp xz -b 1048576 -Xbcj x86
.....and for x86_64, I just add "_64" to the "x86" above (hope I am doing that correct)

Thanks, guys, for any feedback.
I'm testing with the script on the desktop and dragging dirs onto it so it definitely works in Xfce.

Changing

to

2) COMP="-all-root -noappend -comp xz -b 1048576 -Xbcj x86" ;;
should do the trick.

I don't think x86_64 is an option.

"Available filters: x86, arm, armthumb, powerpc, sparc, ia64"

I think ia64 is for Intel Itanium and x86 works for both 32 and 64bit

misko_2083

#19 Post by misko_2083 »

script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" | while read -n 99 LINE ; do
PROG=`echo $LINE | egrep '[0-9]\%' | cut -f1 -d% | awk '{print $NF}'| grep -v '\.'`
echo "#$PROG%"
echo $PROG
done | yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --progress --borders="10" --skip-taskbar --text="<b>Building $t.sfs</b>\n" \
--text-align="center" --width="250" --button="Stop!gtk-stop!Stop operation:1" --buttons-layout="center" --auto-close
^this part has so many pipes.
Not sure what is invert match at the end grep -v '\.' doing.
Awk can do all of that.

script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" |
awk '/\[*\]*[0-9]\%/{print "#",$NF;gsub("%","");print $NF; fflush(stdout)}' |
yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --progress --borders="10" --skip-taskbar --text="<b>Building $t.sfs</b>\n" \

fredx181

#20 Post by fredx181 »

belham2 wrote:mksquash dir-example 'new-sfs-name' -all-root -noappend -comp xz -b 1048576 -Xbcj x86
Hi Belham,
As far as I understand, the "-all-root" option makes all files owned by root.
If so, I wouldn't recommend that option, because there may be sometimes (executable) files that needs to have other ownership, e.g. messagebus.
Better leave ownership of files as they are, I'd say.
(specially when re-squashing filesystem of Dog based distributions as they have /home/<user> owned by 'normal' user)

Fred

belham2

#21 Post by belham2 »

Thank you, rg66 and Fred :wink: I only learn stuff when guys like you post in these threads. Otherwise I'm my own worse enemy, as whether Im supposed to or not, I'll try everything left & right under the sun with the result I usually end up getting so lost I don't remember where I started :roll: . Thanks again.

rg66

#22 Post by rg66 »

misko_2083 wrote:

echo "#$PROG%"
echo $PROG
^this part has so many pipes.
Not sure what is invert match at the end grep -v '\.' doing.
Awk can do all of that.

script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" |
yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --progress --borders="10" --skip-taskbar --text="<b>Building $t.sfs</b>\n" \
That's how the script was originally (from Saluki I think), if I remove "grep -v '\.'", it flashes 47% after it reaches 100. Can't get a working progress bar from your awk line.

misko_2083

#23 Post by misko_2083 »

rg66 wrote:
That's how the script was originally (from Saluki I think), if I remove "grep -v '\.'", it flashes 47% after it reaches 100. Can't get a working progress bar from your awk line.
Oh I see it must work without terminal.
If I add flush to the script this is working for me:

script --return --flush --quiet --command \
"stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" |
It did not flash 47% after 100, yad dialog closes because of --auto-close.
i used a different regular expression to search for strings. That could be it.
awk /\[*\]*[0-9]\%/ vs egrep '[0-9]\%'
The progress looks like this:

file ..., uncompressed size 2755336 bytes

[=========\                                             ]   481/12359
   3%

file ..., uncompressed size 726904 bytes

[==========\                                            ]   528/12359
   4%

file ..., uncompressed size 577 bytes

[==============\                                        ]   719/12359
   5%
* script --return
-e, --return
Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format
as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n.

fredx181

#24 Post by fredx181 »

misko_2083 wrote:If I add flush to the script this is working for me:
Code:
script --return --flush --quiet --command \
"stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" |
Tried that, but no progress is showing for me.

@rg66
Maybe you noticed also that the progress sometimes jumps back for a split second to under 10%, although not a real problem, but found that piping first to strings (or busybox strings) solves it:

echo $LINE | busybox strings |egrep '[0-9]\%' | cut -f1 -d% |awk '{print $NF}'|grep -v '\.'
Fred

rg66

#25 Post by rg66 »

@misko_2083

Also tried your code and couldn't get a progress bar.

@fredx181

Yes, I have noticed it jumping back to 10 or whatever percent. I'll add the "busybox strings", stuff like that bugs me. I've also gone back to Xdialog, yad --auto-close closes the window before it's finished squashing where as Xdialog stays open.

Cheers!

rg66

#26 Post by rg66 »

The strings addition really sorts things out, nice one Fred. The line can be only "echo $LINE | strings | egrep '[0-9]\%' | awk '{print $NF}'; done" and you get:

10%
10%
10%
14%
16%
18%
19%
20%
33%
51%
78%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
100%
Kbytes)
bytes)
bytes)
My script is now:

#!/bin/bash 

t=`echo "$1" | sed "s/\/$//"`
z=`echo "$1" | sed "s/\/$//"`

[ ! -d "$t" ] && exit

if [ -f "$z.sfs" ];then
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Overwrite" --text="<b>$(basename $z).sfs</b> already exists.\n Would you like to overwrite it?\n" \
  --text-align="center" --borders="10" --buttons-layout="center" --button="gtk-yes:0" --button="gtk-no:1"
  case $? in
    0) rm -f "$z.sfs" "$z.sfs-md5.txt" ;;
    *) exit ;;
  esac
fi

yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title "Choose Compression Type" --text "Choose which algorthim to compress the sfs with.
Choosing XZ will give you a smaller sfs but may
be slower than GZIP on very lowspec machines.
XZ-HC is a higher compression XZ squashfile." --text-align="center" --borders="5" --buttons-layout="center" \
case $? in
  0) COMP="-comp gzip" ;;
  1) COMP="-comp xz" ;;
  *) exit ;;
esac

(script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$t" "$z.sfs" $COMP" | while read -n 99 LINE ; do
echo $LINE | strings | egrep '[0-9]\%' | awk '{print $NF}'; done
) | Xdialog --title "Building Squashfile " --gauge "Building $(basename $z).sfs\n\nPlease Wait..." 7 50 0 
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  killall mksquashfs
  rm -f typescript 
  exit
fi

rm -f typescript
md5sum "$z.sfs" > "$z.sfs-md5.txt"
sync 
This also works for unsquashfs as well :D

fredx181

#27 Post by fredx181 »

rg66 wrote:My script is now:
OK! Nice working, simple script now.
I'd say that "busybox strings" would be better because not every distro has "strings"
(btw, that might go for "script" also, anyway for info: it's part of package "bsdutils" in Ubuntu and Debian)

Fred

rg66

#28 Post by rg66 »

fredx181 wrote:.I'd say that "busybox strings" would be better because not every distro has "strings"
(btw, that might go for "script" also, anyway for info: it's part of package "bsdutils" in Ubuntu and Debian)

Fred
OK, will change to busybox strings. I had to get script from slackware util-linux pkg as it's not included in slacko.

I've also got rid of the t=, z= and just went with $1 as I don't see the point of those as the version check is gone.I must have nothing better to do than play with this script, lol.

rg66

#29 Post by rg66 »

Definitely my last one. Reverting back to "read -n 50 LINE" captures a lot more lines.

#!/bin/bash

[ ! -d "$1" ] && exit

if [ "$(echo "$1" | wc -w)" -gt 1 ]; then 
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Rename Folder" --text="Remove blank spaces from\n<b>$(basename "$1")</b> \
and try again." --text-align="center" --borders="10" --width="220" --no-buttons --timeout="3"
exit
fi

if [ -f "$1.sfs" ];then
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Overwrite" --text="<b>$(basename $1).sfs</b> already exists.\n Would you like to overwrite it?\n" \
  case $? in
    0) rm -f "$1.sfs" "$1.sfs-md5.txt" ;;
    *) exit ;;
  esac
fi

yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title "Choose Compression Type" \
--text="XZ will give you a smaller sfs but may
be slower than GZIP on older machines.
XZ-HC is a higher compression XZ sfs." --text-align="center" --borders="10" --buttons-layout="center" \
case $? in
  0) COMP="-comp gzip" ;;
  1) COMP="-comp xz" ;;
  *) exit ;;
esac

(script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; mksquashfs "$1" "$1.sfs" $COMP" | while read -n 50 LINE ; do
echo $LINE | busybox strings | egrep '[0-9]\%' | awk '{print $NF}'; done
) | Xdialog --title "Building Squashfile " --gauge "Building $(basename $1).sfs\n\nPlease Wait..." 7 50 0 
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  killall mksquashfs
  rm -f typescript 
  exit
fi

rm -f typescript
md5sum "$1.sfs" > "$1.sfs-md5.txt"
sync 
Edit: I've added a pop-up warning for folders with white spaces just in case. :?

belham2

#30 Post by belham2 »

rg66 wrote:Definitely my last one. Reverting back to "read -n 50 LINE" captures a lot more lines.

Edit: I've added a pop-up warning for folders with white spaces just in case. :?

Hi rg66,

Am in X-Slacko-4.4 now, been testing this latest iteration of the script above for the last hour. Works nice! I put it on the desktop, and every folder I've dropped onto it (from different partitions even) works & up pops the dialog box, and away she goes. Progress bar works good too. Nice job!

I just have one question: you wrote this above in an earlier message:

This also works for unsquashfs as well  Very Happy 
Am I misunderstanding? I dropped one of the newly created .sfs files on the script to test the unsquashfs capabilitiy, and the script does nothing.

Was/Is the script meant to do unsquashing too just by dropping a .sfs on it? (I don't see unsquashfs commands in the script, so was trying to figure out what you meant when you wrote "this also works for unsquashfs as well...very happy".

P.S. Just found something weird...in Micko's latest Slacko64 (700-r3), on another machine at my desk here, the script does nothing. It won't launch at all, even though it is set up the same way with the same permissions as in X-Slacko-4.4. Weird, as it should easily run in 64-bit slacko because it's only a script after all, right? :o

rg66

#31 Post by rg66 »

belham2 wrote:I just have one question: you wrote this above in an earlier message:

This also works for unsquashfs as well  Very Happy 
Am I misunderstanding? I dropped one of the newly created .sfs files on the script to test the unsquashfs capabilitiy, and the script does nothing.

Was/Is the script meant to do unsquashing too just by dropping a .sfs on it? (I don't see unsquashfs commands in the script, so was trying to figure out what you meant when you wrote "this also works for unsquashfs as well...very happy".

P.S. Just found something weird...in Micko's latest Slacko64 (700-r3), on another machine at my desk here, the script does nothing. It won't launch at all, even though it is set up the same way with the same permissions as in X-Slacko-4.4. Weird, as it should easily run in 64-bit slacko because it's only a script after all, right? :o
Sorry belham2, I meant the code will also work with the unsquashfs command.

I've updated pac-tools with the new progress bar (attached below, just remove fake .gz and make sure it's executable) put it in /usr/bin. You can select as many sfs's as you want (as long as /tmp has enough space to extract them) and right click > repack-extract packages > extract. You can also put the new dir2sfs in /sbin and right click multiple folders > Convert to sfs. The right click options are in X-series and Carolina.

Slacko64 (700-r3) probably doesn't have yad so the script will fail. Also check if it has the script command, if not, download slackware util-linux from the repo.

Edit: pac-tools had a few typo's do to a sed accident :shock:, I've uploaded a new one, see below.
Attachments
pac-tools.gz
remove fake .gz
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Last edited by rg66 on Fri 06 Oct 2017, 05:12, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham, here's sfs2dir, basically the same as the last dir2sfs from rg66, but the other way around.
Unsquashes to directory name, same as the name of .sfs (but without the .sfs extension)

#!/bin/bash

[ ! -f "$1" ] && exit
DIR="${1%.*}"

if [ "$(echo "$1" | wc -w)" -gt 1 ]; then
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Rename File" --text="Remove blank spaces from\n<b>$(basename "$1")</b> \
and try again." --text-align="center" --borders="10" --width="220" --no-buttons --timeout="3"
exit
fi

if [ -d "$DIR" ];then
  yad --window-icon="application-x-squashfs-image" --title="Overwrite" --text="<b>$(basename $DIR)</b> already exists.\n Would you like to overwrite it?\n" \
  case $? in
    0) rm -rf "$DIR" ;;
    *) exit ;;
  esac
fi

(script -q -c "stty rows 40 cols 100; unsquashfs -d "$DIR" "$1"" | while read -n 50 LINE ; do
echo $LINE | busybox strings | egrep '[0-9]\%' | awk '{print $NF}'; done
) | Xdialog --title "Extracting Squashfile " --gauge "Extracting $(basename $1)\n\nPlease Wait..." 7 50 0
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
  killall unsquashfs
  rm -f typescript
  exit
fi

rm -f typescript
sync 
Fred

technosaurus

#33 Post by technosaurus »

goingnuts and I did a progress bar implementation for tar here ... could probably be adapted
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

slavvo67

#34 Post by slavvo67 »

So if you don't have the script command, I guess you're out of luck?

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

Hi all.

I still think you guys are foillowing the principle: "Why do simple when you can do
complicated!" A couple of lines of poetry are in order, I think:
"As I see you guys go,
My love for console grows."
Really! :)

As a reminder:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#969545

Where is the world heading?! :lol:

Merrry Christmas to all.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)