Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 05:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Spotify in Tahr605, is possible without Google?Solved thanks
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:24    Post subject:  Spotify in Tahr605, is possible without Google?Solved thanks  

Hello
I am running tahr605 frugal install on dell vostro 1320, 2.2ghz, 2gb ram. I am getting into difficulties with spotify, which used to run but not now. Has anyone got it running in palemoon or even seamonkey or at the worst firefox. The message from spotify is browser not supported. It does apparently work with chrome but I want to keep away from google if possible.
Has anyone any ideas.
Thanks
number77

Last edited by number77 on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 07:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3147
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:34    Post subject:  

Hm. You might have problems there...

Spotify runs well in Chrome for the simple reason that it's strongly linked into the Google 'eco-system'. There used to be a Linux client, but it was only ever built for Debian, could only be installed by adding an external repository.....and ultimately, was never officially supported.

As I understand things at the moment, the Linux Spotify client has been defunct for nearly 2 years. I can understand your wanting to keep away from Google, although I myself signed my soul over to the devil with the very first beta, pre-evaluation release of Chrome way back in Autumn 2008...

Haven't looked back since, either. You may just have to accept that if your life is to be Google-free, then no Spotify.....I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but hell; how bad can it be?

I understand it has worked with Mozilla-based browsers in the past, but with Mozilla changing their extension APIs this month that may no longer be possible.....Spotify tends to insist on you running the very newest browser in order to use the service.....and it has to be a 'recognised' browser extension to work at all.


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
p310don

Joined: 19 May 2009
Posts: 1118
Location: Brisbane, Australia

PostPosted: Mon 02 Oct 2017, 18:16    Post subject:  

The linux spotify client in quickpet works fine for me. I signed in using my facebook account and haven't looked back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Limbomusic


Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Posts: 201
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 08:30    Post subject: spotify
Subject description: me too
 

The spotify - sfs works for me. Mirrored here
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:01    Post subject: Re: spotify
Subject description: me too
 

Limbomusic wrote:
The spotify - sfs works for me. Mirrored here

Get forbidden 403.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:02    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
The linux spotify client in quickpet works fine for me. I signed in using my facebook account and haven't looked back.

I can sign in with my existing spotify name and password but go in to spotify free linux preview but cant play anything. It seems to be facebook which I am not a member.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:42    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hm. You might have problems there...

Spotify runs well in Chrome for the simple reason that it's strongly linked into the Google 'eco-system'. There used to be a Linux client, but it was only ever built for Debian, could only be installed by adding an external repository.....and ultimately, was never officially supported.

As I understand things at the moment, the Linux Spotify client has been defunct for nearly 2 years. I can understand your wanting to keep away from Google, although I myself signed my soul over to the devil with the very first beta, pre-evaluation release of Chrome way back in Autumn 2008...

Haven't looked back since, either. You may just have to accept that if your life is to be Google-free, then no Spotify.....I know that isn't what you wanted to hear, but hell; how bad can it be?

I understand it has worked with Mozilla-based browsers in the past, but with Mozilla changing their extension APIs this month that may no longer be possible.....Spotify tends to insist on you running the very newest browser in order to use the service.....and it has to be a 'recognised' browser extension to work at all.


Mike. Wink

It used to work for me in xp a few weeks ago but no more.
I will give chrome a go just for spotify,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Limbomusic


Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Posts: 201
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 12:42    Post subject: oops
Subject description: idausy
 

sorry - working now.
Oh and this slimjetversion is awesome:
http://helledussen.com/linux/pets/Browsers/Slimjet/slimjet-15.1.0.0-i686.pet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
number77

Joined: 22 Oct 2010
Posts: 544

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 15:48    Post subject: Re: oops
Subject description: idausy
 

Limbomusic wrote:
sorry - working now.
Oh and this slimjetversion is awesome:
http://helledussen.com/linux/pets/Browsers/Slimjet/slimjet-15.1.0.0-i686.pet

Yes I like slimjet and it does play spotify. I am having a problem finding a bookmark tool bar or any tool bar but will persevere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Limbomusic


Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Posts: 201
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 16:43    Post subject: yeh
Subject description: indeed
 

Me too - That slimjet version is my favorite browser on 32bits puppies and its very customizable with toolbars and everything - if u just mess around in the settings.

One tip - If u want slimjet to behave like chrome when it comes to saving passwords - untick "Use QuickFill form filler instead of default password manager" in the settings somewhere. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3147
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:26    Post subject: Re: oops
Subject description: idausy
 

number77 wrote:
Limbomusic wrote:
sorry - working now.
Oh and this slimjetversion is awesome:
http://helledussen.com/linux/pets/Browsers/Slimjet/slimjet-15.1.0.0-i686.pet

Yes I like slimjet and it does play spotify. I am having a problem finding a bookmark tool bar or any tool bar but will persevere.


Settings->Appearance->check 'Always show the bookmarks bar'


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3147
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 17:56    Post subject:  

Limbomusic wrote:
Subject description:idausy


????? Confused


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Limbomusic


Joined: 15 Apr 2016
Posts: 201
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:09    Post subject: re
Subject description: oops
 

Re: oops
Subject description: idausy = idaisy

Or: whoopsidaisy /oopsidaisy

lol Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3147
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:32    Post subject: Re: re
Subject description: oops
 

Limbomusic wrote:
Re: oops
Subject description: idausy = idaisy

Or: whoopsidaisy /oopsidaisy

lol Wink


Aha..! All is clear now... Laughing


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Mike Walsh


Joined: 28 Jun 2014
Posts: 3147
Location: King's Lynn, UK.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Oct 2017, 18:42    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
The linux spotify client in quickpet works fine for me. I signed in using my facebook account and haven't looked back.


Limbomusic wrote:
The spotify - sfs works for me. Mirrored here


I believe you'll find these are the same package, actually. Quickpet and the PPM both source their packages from the Tahr packages list at Ibiblio, here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr/

If I want anything for Tahr (without using the stuff from the 'Trusty' Ubuntu repos), I usually head straight for that page. It's a good idea to keep it bookmarked.

And if you go back one level ('.../Parent Directory', right at the top), you can choose from the Ibiblio package lists for most of the other major Puppy releases over the last several years.

Works for me.


Mike. Wink

_________________
If I've helped you.....please say 'Thanks'!
MY PUPPY PACKAGES
--------------------------------------

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0960s ][ Queries: 11 (0.0096s) ][ GZIP on ]