Dnsmasq and Seven Serious Flaws: patch your stuff now!

For discussions about security.
belham2

Dnsmasq and Seven Serious Flaws: patch your stuff now!

#1 Post by belham2 »

Well, isn't this just cheerie news...I can't, off the top of my head, think of a home router that doesn't have Dnsmasq available for use in it. And it's present in Ubuntu and Debian? Like our puppy Tahrs, Xenials, DDogs, and such???? :cry:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/02/dnsmasq_flaws/

".........Google security engineers have spotted not one, not two, but seven serious flaws in Dnsmasq, a fairly widely used DNS forwarder and DHCP server.

This open-source program is present in a lot of home routers and certain Internet of Things gadgets, and included in desktop Linux distributions such as Ubuntu and Debian. According to Shodan, there are right now 1,098,179 devices facing the public internet with Dnsmasq services running....."

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi belham2.

Hm... DPupStretch-7 has no dnsmasq utility. (Please see attached.)

Before crying wolf, it would be worth asking around if other Puppy "breeds"
have it, don't you think?

Possibly -- and hopefully -- that Google warning does not apply to Puppies?

Best regards.
Attachments
no-dnsmasq-in-DPupStretch-7fr.jpg
(9.57 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

belham2

#3 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:Hi belham2.

Hm... DPupStretch-7 has no dnsmasq utility. (Please see attached.)

Before crying wolf, it would be worth asking around if other Puppy "breeds"
have it, don't you think?

Possibly -- and hopefully -- that Google warning does not apply to Puppies?

Best regards.

Dear soon-to-be Pelo2, :evil:

Forgive me, I completely forgot that NO forum Murga member ever uses any other linux distro other than puppy. I realize now, thanks to your wisdom, that it is all 'fake news' what is in the 176 pages of "Other Distros" on the Murga forum. Furthermore, I also failed to realize that there are NO Murga forum members who have routers, modems and/or IOT devices that are connected to the Internet & thus might be affected by the news this thread posts a link to. (For all others, please note: in fact, Debian and Ubuntu were busy all night long pushing out dnsmasq & network updates---try to get them on your systems). Thankfully, puppies' collective hundreds of millions, no, billions of worldwide users are not affected in any way at all by the news in this thread :roll:

Jesus, sounding "..an alarm"...What? :shock: Did you not see the question marks in my posts asking if it affected our puppies? This thread was also directed at everyone who happens to have other Linux distros, routers using 'dnsmasq' and IOT things facing the Internet. Which is an alarm of sorts.

What is happening to you, Musher? Your posts over the past few months, to many different people, make it appear you are trying so very, very, VERY hard to become Pelo Number 2 :( Please don't let it happen. Step away from, or take a break from, the forum for awhile if you need to. Dealing with one Pelo is hard enough.

P.S. If you were attempting humor in your post, please know it completely missed the mark, by not a few but hundreds of kilometres . But I will try to overlook it since I still think you are "lead' sleddog material

musher0

#4 Post by musher0 »

Not funny, belham2.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Slackware has also published a security update for dnsmasq.
Slacko5.7 not affected by default, but if other servers are installed,might be worth a peek.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."