Airport scanners ?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
april

Airport scanners ?

#1 Post by april »

I had to fly recently .
Took my CD s with Fatdog and Puppy Precise with me in my hand luggage I think but it might have been my book in bag.

Anyhow got home and both refused to load properly . Got a new iso down and cut two new ones and they worked perfectly so I figure whatever they use now to scan luggage destroys CD s ?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

How old were these CDs that you took with you? It would be interesting to take the newly burned CDs through the airport scanner to see if they stop working.

april

#3 Post by april »

Probably 12 to 18 months for the fatdog64 and a couplea three years for precise . Ill let you try a new burn . Flying is bloody stressful these days .I get hauled in every time for screws in the broken arm bone .

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

Really take a close look at the condition of the CD's.

Nothing on the Internet reports airport scanners doing anything to CD's.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

More likely to be the metal detectors. A strong magetic field could tip a rewritable over the edge of readability.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

april

#6 Post by april »

Well yes thats why I put it here . Its odd and has not happened before .

I cant see any physical damage to the cds and washed them over a couple of times with detergent and water . That usually gets rid of the greasy spots . all to no avail.

Just shows reads were not sucessful on certain regions

perdido

#7 Post by perdido »

Probably nothing but a coincidence.

And if the compact discs were damaged by some invasive snooping device the govt. will deny it anyway.

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

Some people use toothpaste on buggered cds.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/toothpaste.110569/

Chris.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Burn_IT wrote:More likely to be the metal detectors. A strong magetic field could tip a rewritable over the edge of readability.
Please explain how?
My understanding of how a CD RW works has nothing to do with anything magnetic.
The writing material is actually melted to a different state.

Some good info here:
https://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec5.html

Not all discs are made with the same quality.
You get what you pay for!
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

How do you think an MRI scan works?
There are miniscule amounts of magnetic material in nearly all organic compounds and the coating on CDs is no exception.
When those articles say magetism has no effect, they are talking about general magnetic fields not those at the intensity found in MRI scans.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Burn_IT wrote:How do you think an MRI scan works?
There are miniscule amounts of magnetic material in nearly all organic compounds and the coating on CDs is no exception.
When those articles say magetism has no effect, they are talking about general magnetic fields not those at the intensity found in MRI scans.
It's true that MRI requires an extremely strong magnetic field, but as far as I know, airport scanners do not use MRI or any kind of magnetic field in the vicinity of the object being scanned. People have been injured by steel objects that were attracted by the magnetic fields of MRI machines. Lots of steel objects go through airport scanners without moving at all. I'm pretty sure that airport scanners use X-rays.

I don't think the X-radiation of an airport scanner is anywhere near intense enough to much affect a CD-R. The data layer of a CD is on its backside, just beneath a thin coat of lacquer, so it is easily damaged by, for instance, writing on the back of a CD with a ball-point pen. The data layer of a DVD is sandwiched in the middle of the thickness of the DVD, protected front and back by an equal thickness of polycarbonate. This is one of the reasons why DVDs are superior to CDs.

bigpup

#12 Post by bigpup »

Metal detectors operate by generating a low-intensity magnetic field that passes from one side of the detector to the other.
If they did cause damage. Do you not think people would be all over the issue, with complaining to the airports?
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#13 Post by 8Geee »

I could envision an Xray scan doing this, but not really much else.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#14 Post by Flash »

I should clarify that I wasn't thinking of the metal detectors you walk through. Those probably do use some kind of magnetic field, but far too weak to affect the data layer of a CD or anything else. I was thinking of the scanners on the conveyor belt that carries your luggage past the check point. Those must use X-rays. I suppose they could have some measurable effect on flash drive data retention but not on that of a CD or DVD.

peterw

Destroying CDs at airports

#15 Post by peterw »

On passenger screening there is nothing that could harm the CDs. The passenger luggage X-ray scanners are very low powered and do not harm anything that I have had, DVDs, USB sticks, SSDs in laptops. It is impressive how well they see the luggage contents. The metal scanners you walk through can't have very high magnetic fields because of the distance between you and any coils and the worry that people with lumps of metal in them could be adversely affected. The body scanners will not affect the CDs and you can't carry tem into that.

Now hold luggage scanning could use more intensive X-rays and an idea of how they do this is here. http://science.howstuffworks.com/transp ... urity6.htm Although I can't see that damaging CDs.

I guess the answer is to carry them as hand luggage and see what happens in the future.[/url]