Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 15 Dec 2017, 00:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
ArtfulPup
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 27 [402 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017, 23:57    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
JWM is a nightmare!!!

I do not think so. JWM is changing/improving and some configuration tools are not. I think for now Radky's are doing the best job and the reason other buntu/debian pups prefer it. There is no reason to drop JWM just because it becomes better.
I also notie that you have both JWMdesk and jwmconfig3. Not sure how well the play all together.
Regarding "problem" themes in the current setting, all themes that have either one or both of the errors belams2 shows above ie DarkGray-jwmrc material-blue-jwmrc material-sweet-jwmrc Original-jwmrc stark-blueish-jwmrc stnakes-jwmrc Teh-Gray-jwmrc and Win9x-jwmrc

peebee wrote:
'Fraid I don't understand

Embarassed
I'm talking about services starting in /etc/init.d/ and include YASSM, rsync etc. Since samba and minidlna are off is not a big issue, but still.
These are user configurable through Bootmanager>Services so can be easily changed either way.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 01:52    Post subject:  

If you are going to help bug fix a new version of Puppy.

I would think the stuff to check and report on, is what comes installed.
Nothing else for a alpha release bug test.

If you report on stuff you install.
How do we know you installed it correctly or even installed the correct version, that should be compatible with the Puppy version.

At this point in testing. I think only test what is already in the Puppy version and make sure all of it is working correctly.

Later, compatible added software can be an issue to fix.

What hardware is this Puppy version designed to support?
Yes, that is now an issue to decide.

I have a very new computer and no Puppy, older than Tahrpup 6.0.5, will support the hardware. Even Tahrpup has some issues with drivers.

I assume, by using the 4.9.50 kernel you hope to support newer hardware. Not sure what older hardware that kernel no longer supports.
Some reports on what exact hardware you try it on, should help to find out what minimum requirements are.

Developer has already stated has limited hardware, so help with exact detailed specific hardware info.
Processor
RAM
Graphics hardware
Wifi make&model
Printer make&model
Etc.......

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:05    Post subject:  

i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
UEFI bios
Ram 16GB
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821AE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio
No printer

Frugal install to USB hard drive formatted fat 32 partition.
Initial boot.

Booted to working desktop.
Nouveau driver for graphics.
Ethernet and wireless detected and available.
Ethernet auto connected and working. Not using wireless.
Sound auto setup and working OK.

Seems all hardware supported and needed drivers present.

Last edited by bigpup on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:29; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:14    Post subject:  

MtPaint>help>Documentation

Not working.
Get error message can not find file it is asking for to use. (sorry, I already changed it, so not exactly sure what it did try to use).

In preferences>Paths>Location of Handbook Index

It needs to be changed to:
Code:
/usr/share/doc/mtpaint/index.html
Screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.6 KB
 Viewed   850 Time(s)

Screenshot.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:46    Post subject:  

Screen saver was on by default.

I suggest you make it off by default.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:54    Post subject:  

menu>System

Grub4dos bootloader config has 2 entries.

Also, entry in menu>Setup

So, listed 3 places.

menu>System>Format Floppy disc

What's a floppy disc? Laughing

You are trying to support the old stuff Exclamation Laughing

Last edited by bigpup on Sat 07 Oct 2017, 04:23; edited 2 times in total
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 03:57    Post subject: ZestyPup - Alpha build  

I installed to a usb ssd on my macmini:

# inxi -bw
System: Host: puppypc22955 Kernel: 4.9.50-lxpup-32-pae i686 (32 bit) Desktop: JWM 2.3.2
Distro: ZestyPup 17.10.01
Machine: Device: laptop System: Apple product: Macmini6 1 v: 1.0 serial: C07JV98EDWYL
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-031AEE4D24BFF0B1 v: Macmini6 1 serial: C072496085YF1HCAG
BIOS: Apple v: MM61.88Z.0106.B03.1211161202 date: 11/16/2012
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 1200/2501 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.19.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 127x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card-1: Broadcom Limited NetXtreme BCM57766 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: bcma-pci-bridge
Drives: HDD Total Size: 626.4GB (0.7% used)
Weather: Conditions: 59 F (15 C) - Overcast Time: October 7, 3:51 AM EDT
Info: Processes: 195 Uptime: 37 min Memory: 156.1/16111.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8
#
I installed a few applications with PPM (works well)
Added intel_pstate=disable to the kernel line.

No problems so far.
Thanks
screenshot.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.28 KB
 Viewed   835 Time(s)

screenshot.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 04:07    Post subject:  

Gparted>Help>Contents

Not working.

Get this error message.
Screenshot(1).jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   15.23 KB
 Viewed   824 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).jpg

belham2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 04:45    Post subject:  

Hi Peebee & all,

In an effort to stop the sabotage that the included jwm is causing in Zestypup (it's extensive, Peebee, and needs addressed before anything else), I installed Radky's FbBox-5.0 and added the same things I did the first time in testing Zesty originally (ditching the adrv, adding Slimjet+Slimjet-SilentLaunch, RedshiftGUI & Sakura).

Radky's FbBox is great, but it is running into the same similar horror since it has to interact with JWM. For example, went to change the background image, next thing I knew JWM just deleted ALL of Radky's background images (which he provides many, some truly nice) out of the background folder & reset crap back to as if FbBox wasn't installed. That was just the beginning. Nearly doing anything is setting JWM off on some freak re-setting show Crying or Very sad

I don't know what happened on the build for Zesty, but there is a very nasty bug with JWM. I have long said (and was excoriated for it, even received private messages on murga from whom I can only assume is the developer of JWM) that there is no reason that Puppy has to be wedded to JWM.

In my opinion, Peebee, your Lx-based pups are rock solid, and are just as much a puppy as are/is JWM. Go with your heart. Translation: ditch JWM and go back to the rock stabillty of Lx.
Zestypup-FbBox-5.0.png
 Description   
 Filesize   65.16 KB
 Viewed   825 Time(s)

Zestypup-FbBox-5.0.png

Sage

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 11:48    Post subject:  

Runs well on all my 64bit machines but fails to boot on 32bit AMD2400+ machines??? D/l OK, other Puppies OK, tried nV & Radeon cards, etc.
"mount of p..._z..._17... .sfs failed Error too critical." There is a debugsave available, but a bit long; could send by PM if required?
peebee

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 12:14    Post subject:  

Version 17.10.02 tackles some/most? of the issues raised so far - thanks everybody!

Apply delta to 17.01.01 - 17.10.02 iso md5 after generation should be: 47d6dd8fe4c8754e5d06fafa570994dd

- errant JWM themes removed, jwmconfig3 removed, just Ptheme and JWMDesktop remain in menu - I don't get any errors with what's remaining - FbBox seems to now be OK in my quick test....

- help / yelp issues sorted but yelp bodge is rather nasty so needs some further work

- menu tidying

Not tackled:

- zigbert's radeon problem - think it's missing firmware which was included in the xenialpup zdrv but is not in my fdrv - thinking about what to do....

- mavrothal's service settings (which I'm still trying to understand....) and bigpup's screensaver default

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 14:01    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
I assume, by using the 4.9.50 kernel you hope to support newer hardware. Not sure what older hardware that kernel no longer supports.
Some reports on what exact hardware you try it on, should help to find out what minimum requirements are.

Developer has already stated has limited hardware, so help with exact detailed specific hardware info.
Processor
RAM
Graphics hardware
Wifi make&model
Printer make&model
Etc.......

On my Pentium M 750 laptop, I noticed that GNOME-Mplayer skipped a lot when listening to an album (saved as mp4) in the background when I had Firefox open too. I didn't have this problem in any other puppy before, not sure if it's because the 4.9 kernel is not as single-core friendly or Firefox 56 has higher precedence over other programs or something else, but I found that going into GNOME-MPlayer Edit -> Preferences -> Mplayer and unchecking "Drop Frames" and checking "Enable mplayer cache" made it play smoothly again to compensate. Just posting this observation/workaround in case anyone else has a similar issue.
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 16:50    Post subject: Applied delta and also made new ZestyXFCE  

Hi Peebee,

I applied the delta to the frugal installs of both Zesty original and also Radky's, and all JWM problems (that I can tell so far) seem to have gone away. So, with that good news, I decided to push on and make another new DE Zesty. Introducing ZestyXFCE. From Thunar on down, with a few touch ups needed, she is running great. Cool
ZestyXFCE.png
 Description   
 Filesize   172.78 KB
 Viewed   586 Time(s)

ZestyXFCE.png

ZestyXFCE-PupSysInfo.png
 Description   
 Filesize   204.69 KB
 Viewed   593 Time(s)

ZestyXFCE-PupSysInfo.png

mavrothal

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 02:44    Post subject:  

17.10.02 looks good enough for beta here!

Regarding services, do not bother. If you still want to bother change permission to files (services) in /etc/init.d/ that you do not want to run at startup form 775/755 to 644.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 05:45    Post subject:  

Firstly, sorry I haven't contributed anything to this yet.. Too many fingers tied up in too many pies.. Not many pies even have puppies in them..

mavrothal wrote:
peebee wrote:
JWM is a nightmare!!!

I do not think so. JWM is changing/improving and some configuration tools are not.

While making Akita, each time I updated JWM, I needed various manual fixes etc to make it work nice - usually in the puppy specific config tools..

But I agree with mavrothal, once JWM is working nice, it is great, especially as it gets more and more 'standards' compliant (handling xdg, menus stuff, dual screen, etc)..

Xfce is still much nicer is some ways (better 'keyboard only setups', easier tiled windows, whisker menu and multiple monitor management are great) ...

..but now I have JWM with lxrandr (to manage the multiple screens), i can't say I miss Xfce that much (except the whisker menu - and we do have radkys brilliant PupApps instead)..

... But really, I just wanted to put it out there that my new favourite thing about Puppys current JWM setup is the places menu (which wasn't there last time I used Puppy!)

Whoever put it together (01micko? zigbert?) is awesome.

EDIT: Although Puppy STILL has trouble with exFAT partitions! .. the places menu doesn't show them, and Pmount shows it but won't mount it right, I'm guessing Zesty is the same..

Last edited by sc0ttman on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 13:06; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 27 [402 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 25, 26, 27 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: