Someone can help me find a bootloader?

Booting, installing, newbie
pmshah

#16 Post by pmshah »

Q wrote:
Nevermore wrote: that BarryK have a special interest in booting and installing the system which came a long way since older versions but still sticking to the course of live CD even with full install it still needs a boot loader.
Don't you think its time for puppy to take over?
its very noticeable that many wants it to be the one and only OS on their machines specially those who were thrilled to ""resurrect"" their old puters that no longer good enough for M$ or even most if not 99.999% of linux's distro.

BarryK (or any of the experts and they are too many to list) would you consider developing a script to write to the MBR for example like Salx killbill edition?!
Just out of interest which version of Slax KillBill has installation routine built in? This is one deficiency which has prevented me from exploring it further.

BTW all OSes need bootloader which is usually written to track zero of the concerned partition for that OS. This is the difference between a bootable & non-bootable oartition. Usually the MBR points to the specific partition & from there the OS or boot manager is picked up.

pmshah

#17 Post by pmshah »

Nevermore wrote:thanks everyone
but seems i can't make it work..
i suppose is a limitation of grub in puppylinux, first it doesn't install on vfat, second it refuses to boot if the partition i set as root is vfat..
i will keep using the cd as a bootloader, waiting if someone wants to give a look into this problem maybe in the next puppy.
Thanks
Although I have not tried it I belive there is a simple Grub boot disk image available on the net which will help you filling in your present deficiency in Puppy Linux installation.

Q

#18 Post by Q »

pmshah wrote: Just out of interest which version of Slax KillBill has installation routine built in? This is one deficiency which has prevented me from exploring it further.
the current version v 5.1.7b.
but it seems i was a bit hasty :oops: it turns out its just lilo but what the istallation script does is wipe the drive and boots it with 0 timeout (from looking in the make lilo file on root).
Sorry about that.
pmshah wrote: BTW all OSes need bootloader which is usually written to track zero of the concerned partition for that OS. This is the difference between a bootable & non-bootable partition. Usually the MBR points to the specific partition & from there the OS or boot manager is picked up.
you are right again friend but using a third party application to write to the MBR is not what i meant.
If you remember a while ago BarryK was testing booting puppy from usb even if the bios can't boot from it and what he done was "fooling" the bios into identifying the usb as super floppy.
if that can be done and as far as i can remember it worked ,i was thinking that the same can be done if user choose full install and the script will write directly to the mbr providing that puppy is the only OS on that machine.

please correct me if I'm wrong,this issues is one of my favorite.