Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 22 Sep 2019, 16:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Recommendations for email checker/notifier
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 04:46    Post subject:  Recommendations for email checker/notifier  

Now, I'm aware I could do it with an email client, but I'd prefer not to have to keep mine tying up memory and processes when I could just have a simple notifier running. Does anyone have recommendations (and maybe even pets Very Happy) for a simple email notifier/checker that'll check one or more accounts every so often, and pop up text and sound notices for each email if it finds new mail?
fabrice_035

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 06:56    Post subject:  

Sylpheed default client mail able to make that. Look in preferences.

Sylpheed is lightweight client mail.

Regard.
Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 07:15    Post subject:  

Well, sure. I've used Sylpheed before, I think. But I'd rather not install another email client for the purpose.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 08:14    Post subject:  

Hi, Makoto.

I won't dispute fabrice_035's claims about Sylpheed; It would be foolish to, since I've hardly ever used it. Personally, I've used Thunderbird since time out of mind.....and it definitely gives you on-screen notifications.

There is a .pet somebody made (can't remember where the thread is, now) for notifications for G-Mail a/c's. I still have the .pet, so I'm attaching it to this post, if you're interested. I quit using it myself when I began using multiple accounts, and figured out how to make T-Bird give those notifications on-screen.

The T-Bird notifier is a separate, low-resource 'sub-process' that, although linked to T-Bird's program, doesn't need to keep T-Bird itself open in order to function. I believe it makes use of the 'wget' function to achieve this.

I see you use 571? I've recently made up a couple of fairly recent T-Bird packages; the newest, 45.8.0, will update to the current version, 52.3.0.....and it runs quite happily in 571. If you're interested, the link is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=966264#966264

Hope some of that may help.

Mike. Wink
Gmailtray-0.9.pet
Description  Get e-mail notifications for G-Mail in your tray
pet

Download 
Filename  Gmailtray-0.9.pet 
Filesize  140.24 KB 
Downloaded  82 Time(s) 

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 08 Oct 2017, 21:10; edited 1 time in total
jafadmin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 13:16    Post subject:  

Back in the bad ole days I wrote a script that used telnet for that.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Email-with-Telnet

Go ahead. Make a fun project of it ..
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 16:33    Post subject:  

@Makoto:-

Having done a wee bit of research, it appears that there's no end of EMail 'notifier' programs out there. However, a good 80% of these are Windoze exclusively. Of the remaining 20% (Windows, Linux, Mac), nearly 2/3 are only for Gmail.....the remaining small number of apps seem to want either the Gnome or KDE desktop environments installed, since they're written to fully integrate with these two. In addition, just about all of these are only available through PPAs (private personal archives).....invariably, for Ubuntu or its multitude of derivatives.

In the few cases where source code is available, they all want the entire KDE desktop environment installed as a dependency.....and from what I can see of it, that means installing more deps than the size of most Puppy ISOs!

Seems like your best bet is going to be either Sylpheed or Thunderbird, and set 'em up to activate the desktop notifications. Just my tuppence-worth.

Mike. Wink

Makoto

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 16:56    Post subject:  

Yeah, I've already got the latest version of Thunderbird installed - I just didn't think it was a good idea to keep it in memory while I have other resource-hungry programs like browsers (Firefox, Seamonkey, PaleMoon) or LibreOffice open all the time. Embarassed

I'm beginning to think my best bet may instead be to get Pidgin up and running again (I haven't used it in a long time as all my contacts have dropped off), if just to see if I can get the email notifier features in that working. Assuming it still works for that purpose, anyway.

I do have Wine installed, but trying a Windows notifier will be an absolute last resort. Very Happy

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 17:55    Post subject:  

Sylpheed's pretty lightweight - I have an SFS for that which I used in Racy 5.5 for a while. Runs out to around 8 MB I think.....around 26 MB when it's loaded.Only snag with Sylpheed is that you have to set it up manually; none of the nice 'auto-setting-up' you get with T-Bird.

Like I said, you don't need to have T-Bird open, or even installed for that matter, AFAIK. The notifier uses the 'wget' function to connect with the T-Bird servers. You can then load T-Bird to check your mail.

Mike. Wink

fabrice_035

PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017, 17:59    Post subject:    

jafadmin wrote:
Back in the bad ole days I wrote a script that used telnet for that.

https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Email-with-Telnet

Go ahead. Make a fun project of it ..

Example show "Telnet yahoo.com" Twisted Evil we understand why yahoo got hacked 3 billion account Twisted Evil
(sorry just for fun)

That working, tested right with gmail

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1225586/checking-email-with-python

Code:
import poplib
from email import parser

pop_conn = poplib.POP3_SSL('pop.gmail.com')
pop_conn.user('username')
pop_conn.pass_('password')
#Get messages from server:
messages = [pop_conn.retr(i) for i in range(1, len(pop_conn.list()[1]) + 1)]
# Concat message pieces:
messages = ["\n".join(mssg[1]) for mssg in messages]
#Parse message intom an email object:
messages = [parser.Parser().parsestr(mssg) for mssg in messages]
for message in messages:
    print message['subject']
pop_conn.quit()

Wink
Makoto

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 02:14    Post subject:  

I had Sylpheed (and I think maybe Claws-Mail) installed before, but I still always end up back with Thunderbird. Couldn't tell you why. Laughing

Found the FireTray extension, but of course that doesn't really work with the current version of TB. And as for Pidgin, I really need to figure out why I was having problems compiling the most recent versions... I need the latest version to test.

I guess I'm trying not to install anything extra, if I can help it. Embarassed

fabrice_035

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 10:37    Post subject:  

This is a my tiny contribution.

This programme check every 60s your mail(s) box

Just edit account file(s) in account directory (after extract archive look in account directory)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
#
# simple mail checker
# need Python
# need binary sit (tool place icon in systray)
#
#
#
# (fxc 08 octobre 2017)

reloop=60 # sleep 60 secondes while recheck account

IFS='
'
# this function called when your left click on systray
fenetre () {

killall -s SIGKILL sit # destroy icon
defaultemail  # ...

}
export -f fenetre   

xmessage -timeout 4 -borderless -center "simple email checker start!" &
aplay alert.au &

# main program, loop infinite

while :

do

for account in `ls account/`

do
echo "check -------------------$account <"

config=`cat account/$account`
pop=`set $config ; echo $1`
name=`set $config ; echo $2`
pass=`set $config ; echo $3`

check=`./check_mail.py $pop $name $pass`

if [ "$check" != "" ] ; then
aplay alert.au &
./sit "mail.svg" "$check" "fenetre"

fi
done
echo "(waiting re check  $reloop) " # debug echo
sleep "$reloop"
done
# end

The archive contain python program, account example, advert sound, svg icon and binary sit (need to place icon in systray)

The program place a mail icon in systray if you have a new mail. Click on too launch default mail client. Very simple.

Try it, or not.

Regard.
_email_checker.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  _email_checker.tar.gz 
Filesize  39.66 KB 
Downloaded  75 Time(s) 
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 11:27    Post subject:  

@fabrice _035:-

Looks quite nifty, that. However, I notice it's only for POP3 accounts. I've used IMAP for years; running several Puppies, the last thing I want is multiple copies of a list of the same e-mails sitting in several different locations around my hard drive..!

Any way to adapt this to IMAP, d'you think? I'm guessing this works purely on a local mail box, yes?

Python2, or Python3?

Mike. Wink

fabrice_035

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 13:02    Post subject:  

Found python code for imap.

This version check imap mail

In account directory, the account file need inbox name.
With gmail defaut name is INBOX

Code:
imap.gmail.com
youremail@gmail.com
password
INBOX

If you want found inbox name, uncomment in imap_mail.py

Code:
#if rv == 'OK':
#    print "Mailboxes:"
#    print mailboxes

and found inbox name with

Code:
python imap_mail.py imap.gmail.com your_mail@email.com your_password test
imap_checker.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  imap_checker.tar.gz 
Filesize  40.25 KB 
Downloaded  75 Time(s) 
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 14:13    Post subject:  

@fabrice_035:-

Cheers, mate. I'll have a look at that when I get a chance, and try it out. I've been doing some more research for Makoto.....

--------------------------------------------------

@Makoto:-

I have come across one very viable possibility. You can still get it via the Precise PPM.....but for Chrissakes grab it pronto, 'cos the repos'll be going off-line any day now. EOL was back in April.....and with 'ARTFUL AARDVARK' looming ever nearer during the coming week or two, I really can't see them being active very much longer.

It's called 'gnubiff'. Seems it's been around for years & years.....

http://gnubiff.sourceforge.net/

It was originally designed to integrate into the GNOME desktop, so, naturally, the tray applet doesn't work... Rolling Eyes What you do get is an icon of Tux on the desktop. When there's no new mail, Tux is asleep:-

When there is mail, Tux wakes up, makes a sound (rather like a duck quacking), and displays the new mail count. Single-click Tux, you'll get a display of email 'headers'. Double-click Tux, and you can start your email client. Nifty stuff like that..!

You can configure all this in the preferences. By default, Tux is up in the top left corner, and obscuring the ROX-filer launcher (it's a 96 x 96 icon, so quite a bit larger than standard ROX pinboard icons.) You can move him around the desktop to where you want him, by means of the 'Geometry' setting under the'Applet or Biff' tab in 'Preferences' (right-clk on Tux). Just set your x- and y-axis settings, and fine tune it to where you want him.

You can set the number of headers displayed....how long for.....where on the desktop you want them to show (there's a 'Geometry' setting for these, too). You can set up any number of mailboxes to check. I've found a fairly good tutorial on how to set things up in Gnubiff, here:-

http://www.ihaveapc.com/2011/01/gnubiff-a-cool-mail-notification-program-for-linux-mint-ubuntu/

Start it from Menu->Internet->Gnubiff. Once you've set it up, applied and OK'd everything, the window vanishes, and you just see Tux on the desktop, wherever you've set him.....either asleep, or awake. If you want to add further new mailboxes, don't use 'Preferences' while Tux is on the desktop. Shut him down, then re-start from the Menu. You'll now have the option to add new mailboxes.

It's quite a neat little app, I gotta admit.....the only disadvantage being that Tux is on the desktop, rather than in the tray. Or you can try fabrice's contribution.

It's entirely up to you, mate. (If the worst comes to the worst, and you can't get it through the PPM, I've created a .pet of a slightly older version. PM me if you want it.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't yet tried it, but you should be able to auto-start gnubiff at boot; just sym-link /usr/bin/gnubiff into /root/Startup. Of course, this being available through the repos, it ought to be accessible in all the 'buntu-based Pups. 1.6 MB installed.....so it'll not make too big a dent in your RAM (or your save-file!)

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 12 Oct 2017, 08:48; edited 6 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 08 Oct 2017, 20:24    Post subject: A couple of .pets for Gnubiff...  

Evening, all.

Because I happen to think this is a really neat little app for checking emails, I've knocked together a couple of pets. These aren't the very newest version; I've picked this particular one because it was the last release to be based on GTK2.....which in many ways, is better for Puppy. It's based on the version still miraculously available in the Precise repos.

There's so little difference between this and the newest release it's not worth sneezing over, TBH.....the one major difference being that Tux is apparently animated in the current, GTK3-based version..! I kid you not.....

Gnubiff has been under continuous development now for well over a decade, so it's fairly mature.....and well-proven. Smile

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's two versions. One is for the 'buntu-based Pups; where you're still able to (Tahr, Xenial, etc.), I would recommend installing it via the PPM. This has been put together for those older 'buntu-based Pups like pemasu's Upup Raring (a brilliant Puppy!), where the repo support evaporated years ago. Very Happy

The other one is for the Slacko's.....specifically 560 & 570. All part of my long-term consolidation plan for my kennels; I'm attempting to get the same range of apps working on all of my Puppies, whatever it takes! 'Cos it's worked out better than I'd hoped for, I'm in a good mood tonight, so.....I'm happier than usual to share it with y'all. Smile

I apologise for the Slacko version being nearly 3 times the size of the 'buntu one Embarassed ; I had to thoroughly 'raid' Precise's /usr/lib directory before it would run in the Slackos.....just goes to show how 'bare' Slackware really is in many respects. It's mostly Gnome-related libs, since Gnubiff was originally written to integrate with the Gnome desktop.....Ubuntu's staple desktop for many years, till Unity came along and upset the applecart! Rolling Eyes

And now, of course, the wheel has turned full circle.....and Ubuntu is returning to GNOME.

I've included a link from /usr/bin to /root/Startup for auto-starting Gnubiff at boot-time. The first time you start Gnubiff, it'll be from the Menu.....after setting everything up, Tux will put in an appearance every time Pup starts.

You can find them at my MediaFire a/c, as usual. Go here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/e8l8f8crf0o9v/Gnubiff

.....and help yourselves.

I'll be having a closer look at fabrice_035's Python-based effort over the next couple of days, and may put together a .pet for that, too. He's apparently answered my query, and adapted the original POP-based version for IMAP usage. It should be a wee bit 'leaner' than Gnubiff.....although it is going to depend on having Python installed, of course.

Enjoy little Tux!

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: