StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sszindian

conky clock

#166 Post by sszindian »

Thanks for the quick response... Yes, I did put a nice mountian-picture (.jpg) as the desktop... have a frugal install with this Dog so updated to the latest kernel... tried PWidgets but they didn't display either... added my lttle 'Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a.pet) but I don't believe that would cause any problem... added a 'No Blank Screen .pet' (an oldie from way back but works fine). Off hand can't thin of anything else BUT as I get older, that doesn't say much :)

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

fredx181

#167 Post by fredx181 »

Hi sszindian, and what you get when you run conkyclock from terminal ?
I get this (says "syntax error" but despite that, it works well for me (Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion))

Code: Select all

root@live:~# conkyclock
conky: Syntax error (/root/.conky/Analog_clock/conkyrc1:3: unexpected symbol near '#') while reading config file. 
conky: Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion.
conky: desktop window (800147) is subwindow of root window (277)
conky: window type - normal
conky: drawing to created window (0x3200001)
conky: drawing to double buffer
conky: Unknown setting 'color10'
Fred

sszindian

conky clock

#168 Post by sszindian »

Trying various things, I lost all my savefolder upgrades and a basic stretch now loads and the mouse is totally froze up... so I can't do anything except a hard shut down (several times)... lost a lot of work here!!! Setting StretchDog on the side for now, may get back into it at a later date hard to believe all because of wanting that nice Conky Clock on my desktop :(

Thanks for your help Fred!

>>>---Indian------>

fredx181

Re: conky clock

#169 Post by fredx181 »

sszindian wrote:Trying various things, I lost all my savefolder upgrades and a basic stretch now loads and the mouse is totally froze up... so I can't do anything except a hard shut down (several times)... lost a lot of work here!!! Setting StretchDog on the side for now, may get back into it at a later date hard to believe all because of wanting that nice Conky Clock on my desktop :(

Thanks for your help Fred!

>>>---Indian------>
Mmm.. sounds bad, looks like something went wrong earlier which may be also be the reason why conkyclock didn't work.
In case you get back on it later, I'd say it's best to do a fresh install from the ISO.
EDIT: or if you ran upgrade-kernel, restore the .bak files in the live folder to the original, e.g. remove vmlinuz1 first then rename vmlinuz1.bak to vmlinuz1 (and same way for initrd1.xz). And then start with empty savefolder.

Fred

sszindian

new StretchDog

#170 Post by sszindian »

Back working on a fresh new download and install of StretchDog.

Apparently my original download was corupt causing many problems including the conky-clock which now is beautiful on the desktop, kind of reminds of the old days when regular puppy analog clocks used to work OOTB in pwidgets!!!

Well, installing a piece at a time until I get it where I want it. It is a fantastic program and still has some years of life in it.

Only problem I ran into, Abiword3.0.2 from the PM doesn't want to run? Is this a problem with StretchDog or Abiword3.0.2 or... is there a 'fix' for it?

Thanks for this fine program fred!!!

>>>---Indian------>

fredx181

#171 Post by fredx181 »

sszindian wrote:Only problem I ran into, Abiword3.0.2 from the PM doesn't want to run? Is this a problem with StretchDog or Abiword3.0.2 or... is there a 'fix' for it?
Installing package "libgl1-mesa-dri" should fix that, but... note that it's huge (has also as dependency big library libllvm)
EDIT: On the other hand, having "libgl1-mesa-dri" installed gives support for to use 3D programs such as Blender, Google-earth, games, etc...
Don't know if you use 32 or 64-bit, but for 32-bit (only) there's also package "abiword-portable" version 3.0.0 that doesn't need these big dependencies.
If you install that one, better uninstall first the 3.0.2 version (they may bite each other, but not sure about that, to be honest)

Fred

sszindian

Abiword 3.0.2

#172 Post by sszindian »

Thanks fred!

Abiword 302 works, prints jike a charm!! (Running 64-bit StretchDog)

>>>---Indian------>

dancytron

#173 Post by dancytron »

Does the "Kernel Update" script need updating for the 4.9.0.9 kernel that seems to have appeared in synaptic? It doesn't recognize it as a new kernel.

apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages have been kept back:
  peasywifi
The following packages will be upgraded:
  linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64 linux-image-amd64
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Chose "no" which is correct, I don't want to use apt-get to upgrade that. Correct?

fredx181

#174 Post by fredx181 »

dancytron wrote:Chose "no" which is correct, I don't want to use apt-get to upgrade that. Correct?
Yes, correct, it won't do anything for a live system depending on aufs.
The problem is that the stock Debian kernel doesn't have aufs included and also squashfs LZ4 is not supported.
So , indeed as you know, "upgrade-kernel" should be used, but depends on me having to compile aufs and squashfs kernel modules everytime there's a kernel upgrade available, which is a bit of a pain (and I'm most of the time behind), I've been trying to make this automated, but no luck.
For aufs it's possible to automate (as there is package "aufs-dkms" that can create aufs kernel module), but for squashfs-LZ4 I can't figure out how to do it a similar way.

Anyway, using latest upgrade-kernel should work now to upgrade to 4.9.0.9 (using new aufs and squashfs modules compiled for 4.9.0.9 to be copied from github)

Fred

s243a

#175 Post by s243a »

Someone posted this in another thread:
markwiering wrote: I have tried DogLinux "Stretch". It looked promising at first glance, but I couldn't configure the keyboard layout "United States International with dead keys", and I also couldn't configure a secondary keyboard layout.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 80#1035980

but I'm not sure if there is enough info for anyone to offer him/her any help.
Find me on [url=https://www.minds.com/ns_tidder]minds[/url] and on [url=https://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/puppy-linux/id12399810]pearltrees[/url].

williams2

#176 Post by williams2 »

I think he wanted us-intl and russian phonetic switched using the right control key. This might work:

setxkbmap -verbose -layout 'ru(phonetic),us(alt-intl)' -option grp:rctrl_toggle
-verbose is optional.
This could run from a script in /root/Startup (in a Pup)
Or from a script that runs if a desktop icon is clicked.

This would change keymaps if left-ctrl+leftshift are pressed.
-option grp:lctrl_lshift_toggle

In the Pup I'm running the names of the keymaps are in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst
or
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst

cat /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst | grep -i phonetic | grep -i russ

williams2

#177 Post by williams2 »

If you want to be sure it switches to US when the script executes, this should work:

#! /bin/sh
setxkbmap us
setxkbmap 'us(alt-intl),ru(phonetic)' -option grp:rctrl_toggle

markwiering

#178 Post by markwiering »

williams2 wrote:I think he wanted us-intl and russian phonetic switched using the right control key. This might work:

setxkbmap -verbose -layout 'ru(phonetic),us(alt-intl)' -option grp:rctrl_toggle
-verbose is optional.
This could run from a script in /root/Startup (in a Pup)
Or from a script that runs if a desktop icon is clicked.

This would change keymaps if left-ctrl+leftshift are pressed.
-option grp:lctrl_lshift_toggle

In the Pup I'm running the names of the keymaps are in
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst
or
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.lst

cat /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev.lst | grep -i phonetic | grep -i russ
I sincerely thank you for your useful comment.

I indeed want to have the keyboard layouts "United States International with dead keys" and "Russian", in which "United States International with dead keys" is the default one, while "Russian" is the alternate one (the one being activated when right control is pressed).

I also would like the Scroll Lock LED to be lit when I press right control. Does this command take care of this as well? :-D

Anyway, I am going to make a Dog Linux Stretch bootable USB again, boot Dog Linux Stretch and then try out your command. Afterwards, I will tell you whether this has worked. If so, then I will probably switch to DogLinux.

Right now, I have MX Linux installed on my computer. It's a decent and robust OS, but it's a little bit heavy, since the response time when clicking on something is half a second instead of reacting immediately. When I had DogLinux Stretch in Live Mode, it reacted just as fast as Puppy Linux does, which was a huge plus for me, since I seek to combine the responsiveness and lightweightness of Puppy Linux with the power of the apt repository (the ability to install whatever I want with a simple command).

williams2

#179 Post by williams2 »

I also would like the Scroll Lock LED to be lit
This might work:

#! /bin/sh
setxkbmap us -option
setxkbmap 'ru(phonetic),us(alt-intl)' -option grp:rctrl_toggle,grp_led:scroll
I don't have a scroll key or led, but it works with my caps led.

There are different keymaps available, for example a us with russian variant.
I'm not sure which one you want.

In the script, the first setxkbmap clears the options and
sets a keymap different from the ones you will set later.
Then when the second setxkdbmap executes, it always
sets the first keymap.
Otherwise, if you have the russian keymap selected,
it won't switch back to the us map.
You might prefer it not to switch when the script runs.

williams2

#180 Post by williams2 »

Sorry, you want US to be the default.
It should be:

#! /bin/sh
setxkbmap us -option
setxkbmap 'us(alt-intl),ru(phonetic)' -option grp:rctrl_toggle,grp_led:scroll
If you are not running as root you may need to use sudo.

rcrsn51

#181 Post by rcrsn51 »

Users of StretchDog and its variants might want/need a kernel upgrade from the stock k4.9.0. Here is an easy way:

1. Go here and get a DevuanDog ISO.
2. Extract it and locate the four files initrd1.xz, initrd.img, vmlinuz1, k-4.19.0-5-amd64.squashfs.
3. Drop them into the "live" folder of your Stretch install. The first three will overwrite the current versions.
4. Reboot.

---------------

There have been reports of Puppy users trying to install various Puppies onto emmc drives. The boot fails with an "SFS file not found" error. I can confirm this with some (but not all) emmc setups.

FWIW, Fred's Dog builds have always been able to boot from an emmc drive for me.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

dancytron

#182 Post by dancytron »

rcrsn51 wrote:Users of StretchDog and it variants might want/need a kernel upgrade from the stock k4.9.0. Here is an easy way:

1. Go here and get a DevuanDog ISO.
2. Extract it and locate the four files initrd1.xz, initrd.img, vmlinuz1, k-4.19.0-5-amd64.squashfs.
3. Drop them into the "live" folder of your Stretch install. The first three will overwrite the current versions.
4. Reboot.

FWIW, Fred's Dog builds have always been able to boot from an emmc drive for me.
Thanks,

Nice to see you back.

rcrsn51

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here are some tips for working with cheap Windows "cloudbooks".

1. Some of them have bleeding-edge wifi devices that need a change to PeasyWiFi's config. Set DRIVER=nl80211.

2. Most on-board speakers are dreadful. Get a little Bluetooth speaker with an Aux input and plug it into the headphone jack. Even with mono output, this will give better sound.

-----------------

gabtech

screen casting in stretchdog

#184 Post by gabtech »

Hi fred

Every time I use a screencastter my whole desktop freezes.

fredx181

#185 Post by fredx181 »

Hi gabtech,

If you can provide more details, e.g. which screencaster you used, I will try if I can reproduce the problem and search for a possible fix.

Fred