StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

#31 Post by don570 »

it needs Porteus that it has to be in the /puppy_StretchDog64/live/Porteus <--- not sure what it meant actually. Anything else i need to do?
In this situation two folders were created --> /puppy_StretchDog64/live/

Then you drag the contents of the Porteus folder
into the 'live' folder

don570

#32 Post by don570 »

BarryK likes uses default applications.

Here is a list that aren't in Stretch Dog..

/usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer
/usr/local/bin/defaultpaint
/usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet
/usr/local/bin/defaultterm
/usr/local/bin/defaulttexteditor
/usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
/usr/local/bin/defaultmail
/usr/local/bin/defaultdraw
/usr/local/bin/defaulthtmleditor
/usr/local/bin/defaultimageviewer

trister

#33 Post by trister »

ethplorer wrote:
trister wrote:Very good job Fred :)

@ethplorer:

my menu.lst entry is like this :

Code: Select all

title PorteusStretchDog EXIT: changes32
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy_StretchDog64/live/initrd1.xz
kernel /puppy_StretchDog64/live/vmlinuz1 from=/puppy_StretchDog64 changes=EXIT:/puppy_StretchDog64/changes32.dat 
initrd /puppy_StretchDog64/live/initrd1.xz
while it does work as it starts to read the vmlinuz and initrd, it suddenly stops telling that it needs Porteus that it has to be in the /puppy_StretchDog64/live/Porteus <--- not sure what it meant actually. Anything else i need to do?
StretchDog is by default reading initrd1.xz and vmlinuz1 from inside a /live folder.
If you put everything inside that /puppy_StretchDog64 folder/live folder (I've put live inside the puppy_StretchDog64 folder) then it should work.
Note the names are "initrd1.xz " (and not initrd.img which is used for another boot method-not porteus)

The parameter from=/puppy_StretchDog64 tells linux that my live folder is inside /puppy_StretchDog64 folder

The parameter changes=EXIT:/puppy_StretchDog64/changes32.dat tells linux that my save file name is changes32.dat and where it is located

The entry
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /puppy_StretchDog64/live/initrd1.xz
is my favorite :) it searches my puppy_StretchDog64 folder. This means I can move this folder in any drive and I don't have to change anything

rufwoof

#34 Post by rufwoof »

prehistoric wrote:Just want to mention that there is a patch for Debian Stretch for the WPA2 Krack attack. This puts it ahead of many other distros.
https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=150815942414653&w=2
Why did OpenBSD silently release a patch before the embargo?

OpenBSD was notified of the vulnerability on 15 July 2017, before
CERT/CC was involved in the coordination. Quite quickly, Theo de Raadt
replied and critiqued the tentative disclosure deadline: In the open
source world, if a person writes a diff and has to sit on it for a
month, that is very discouraging. Note that I wrote and included a
suggested diff for OpenBSD already, and that at the time the tentative
disclosure deadline was around the end of August. As a compromise, I
allowed them to silently patch the vulnerability. In hindsight this was
a bad decision, since others might rediscover the vulnerability by
inspecting their silent patch. To avoid this problem in the future,
OpenBSD will now receive vulnerability notifications closer to the end
of an embargo.

rcrsn51

#35 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
trister wrote:The first thing I noticed at start is that I need to run "reconnect" from peasyWifi to get an IP from my router the first time I enter the system.
This sounds like a timing issue.

Look at the script /etc/rc.d/rc.nework. PWF makes two tries (line 19) with a 5 second pause between (line 23). Each try is controlled by the -t and -T options (line 21).

Maybe increasing some of these will help.

If you watch the boot messages, there should be a line near the end for "udhcpc". Do you see it?
No reply? If there is a timing issue here, the only person who can help fix it is the one who is experiencing it.

trister

#36 Post by trister »

rcrsn51 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
trister wrote:The first thing I noticed at start is that I need to run "reconnect" from peasyWifi to get an IP from my router the first time I enter the system.

Look at the script /etc/rc.d/rc.nework. PWF makes two tries (line 19) with a 5 second pause between (line 23). Each try is controlled by the -t and -T options (line 21).

If you watch the boot messages, there should be a line near the end for "udhcpc". Do you see it?
No reply? If there is a timing issue here, the only person who can help fix it is the one who is experiencing it.
Sorry, I've been using the older StretchDog and didn't have much time troubleshooting the issues I have at the 2017-10-10StretchDog64 .

Btw, if anyone interested in trying Docker : docker-ce_17.09.0~ce-0~debian_amd64.squashfs : https://1fichier.com/?90slf7h5sk

don570

mtpaint 3.49.12 for stretch dog

#37 Post by don570 »

mtpaint 3.49.12 for stretch dog (64bit) available

see next page

Note:
This package was compiled on Fatdog linux 710 .
What I did was to upgrade Fatdog linux 710 to libgif.so.7 by downloading and compiling
giflib_5.1.2.orig.tar.bz2

The libraries were then correct except for libopenjpeg so I compiled with configuration
'nojp2'

The result is that the executable will open and save to the common image formats except for jp2

Last edited by don570 on Sat 21 Oct 2017, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#38 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rcrsn51, trister
rcrsn51 wrote:
trister wrote:
The first thing I noticed at start is that I need to run "reconnect" from peasyWifi to get an IP from my router the first time I enter the system.

I had the same problem at some point, reason was that /etc/init.d/rc.network-start wasn't executed.
That was because I had a .squashfs module loaded at boot that was created on another build (not with peasywifi installed), so the file /etc/init.d/.depend.start was overwritten and didn't have the proper config for rc.network-start e.g. this:

rc.network-start: cgmanager cgproxy start-pup-volume-monitor rsyslog motd bootlogs console-setup.sh acpid anacron dbus loadcpufreq rsync cpufrequtils slim
It could well be that a similar thing was the case for trister (I know from earlier posts that he uses extra .squashfs modules regularly)
Besides that, I think that a timing issue isn't very likely because you have set it to rather high already.
Lesson learned, only use a .squashfs module created by apt2sfs on the same build (although there are probably exceptions)

@don570, thanks for your contributions!, I'll get back on it later.

Fred

rcrsn51

#39 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks Fred. Hopefully, that's the answer.

Under what conditions would a squashfs module contain /etc/init.d/depend.start?

I looked at one I made with apt2sfs and it wasn't there.

fredx181

#40 Post by fredx181 »

Hi rcrsn51
Under what conditions would a squashfs module contain /etc/init.d/depend.start?
For every package that has an initscript included, and has in postinst script "update-rc.d ...." command

For me it was with mpd .squashfs (Music Player Daemon) (which I made with apt2sfs on another build), it has in postinst script:

update-rc.d mpd defaults
And /etc/init.d/.depend.start will be new created (also .depend.stop, btw)

To avoid the conflicting I just removed /etc/init.d and all the other rc* folders in /etc from the extracted mpd.squashfs folder (I don't need to run mpd as daemon, just on demand), created mpd.squashfs again and then worked without conflicting problems.

Fred

rcrsn51

#41 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have two squash modules that both have init scripts.

Will they fight with each other?

fredx181

#42 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have two squash modules that both have init scripts.

Probably it can be that the initscript configuration from .squashfs module higher in alphanumerical order will overwrite and possibly disable initscript from the lower one.
But I don't really know from tests, if I use extra modules, I mostly load "on the fly"

@don570
New pfind is nice! Added to repos and also your mtpaint-64bit, so can be installed with Synaptic or apt-get, thanks again!

@all
Added deadbeef (music player) to the repos, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install deadbeef-static
Made list for TODO's:
Changes and Fixes list

Fred

trister

#43 Post by trister »

rcrsn51 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what happens if you have two squash modules that both have init scripts.

I hope I understand your question. I've been working entirely with squashfs (custom or/and apt2sfs) so I have some experience in squashfs loading. (the PC I'm typing loads during startup 94 squashfs files -programs & settings).

From my experience all the squashfs load & "overlap" in alphabetical order and they create your filesystem. When all are loaded the latest init files are executed.

When I want to be sure that the script of my squashfs file will certantly run , I rename my squashfs like this : z_slim_manager_replace_init_script.squashfs

If you have the files:
01filesystem.squashfs
a.squashfs
b.squashfs
c.squashfs

that they all contain a different version of file etc/profile

At the end StretchDog and all other puppies will see and execute the one that is in c.squashfs . So , without fighting the last squashfs wins :)

Especially for /etc/profile when I want something to be certain to run I do this :
eg
a.squashfs contains /etc/profile.d/a.sh
b.squashfs contains /etc/profile.d/b.sh
c.squashfs contains /etc/profile.d/c.sh
You can add the same way files inside folder /root/Startup or /home/puppy/Startup

Another important note : If you make squashfs BE VERY carefull with the owner rights of your folders. What I mean is that if you make a squashfs which contain the folder structure /home/puppy/Startup and you set in this Squashfs (that is loaded last in order) the owner of the folders as root then you will have all the path /home/puppy owned by root!!!.

Another note. Unlike .deb files in squashfs there are no scripts that are run during the *specific* squashfs loading.
At start all the squashfs are merged/fused together (in the order I said above) and THEN linux start (loads init , profiles ,rc etc). That means that you be very careful to where you put your init scripts.

rcrsn51

#44 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks. Have you made any conclusion about why PeasyWifi did not auto-start? Does Fred have the correct explanation?

trister

#45 Post by trister »

rcrsn51 wrote:Thanks. Have you made any conclusion about why PeasyWifi did not auto-start? Does Fred have the correct explanation?
I haven't checked this in the 17-10-10 Stretch but this is probable the case*(It's been a while since I boot the new SD).
I copied several of my older StretchDog64 files to the new StretchDog and I see one of them loaded frisbee.

don570

mtpaint open jp2 j2k

#46 Post by don570 »

I found a way to make mtpaint open jp2 and j2k file format.
In my previous configure I was using 'nojp2' option in configure command.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 483#971483

Here is the new method I used...

I use fatdog linux 710 and upgrade it with giflib_5.1.2.orig.tar.bz2
(as previously mentioned) and also

openjpeg-2.1.1.tar.gz

This installed libopenjp2-7 package in fatdog linux.

Next I compiled mtpaint without 'nojp2' option.

Something like

./configure intl  GIF tiff jpeg  --prefix=/usr
and it found the libopenjp2-7 package .

I then took the binary file and tested on stretch dog linux and then put
together debian package of mtpaint. It will now open more file types jp2 and j2k for example.

Available :
Size 487k
mtpaint_3.49.12_amd64.deb
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7JZA ... nlfLVRpLTQ

don570

Some sample jp2 files

#47 Post by don570 »

Some sample jp2 files to test
http://www.gwg.nga.mil/ntb/baseline/sof ... jpeg2k.htm

wjaguar

Re: mtpaint open jp2 j2k

#48 Post by wjaguar »

don570 wrote:openjpeg-2.1.1.tar.gz
BTW: anyone who intends to work with JPEG2000 for real, is advised to switch to the recent OpenJPEG 2.3.0. It is easily 2x the performance of previous versions, and of the JasPer library which was just as slow.
The library should be compiled with the "-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release" option, to enable full optimizations (25% faster than without it).

fredx181

#49 Post by fredx181 »

don570 wrote:Available :
Size 487k
mtpaint_3.49.12_amd64.deb
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7JZA ... nlfLVRpLTQ
OK, thanks again, replaced in 64bit repo with your new package, btw, edited 'control' file by adding required dependencies on "Depends:" line.

Fred

don570

#50 Post by don570 »

I wanted to be compatible to openjpeg2-7 package that Debian offers

https://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libopenjp2-7

Now that I read this page it lists openjpeg2_2.1.2.orig.tar.gz as its source package.
I used older source but it works fine. It's the package that is used by stretch dog that is the important one
since that is the one the final user uses to open a file