StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

#61 Post by don570 »

Not sure, but I think you mean
I was referring to the fact that the kernel line shouldn't mention the hard drive
partion which is (hd0,0) in my example. It booted up though.

hamoudoudou

Abiword 3.0.2 Test Synaptic.

#62 Post by hamoudoudou »

root@stretch:~# abiword

** (abiword:14485): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri:${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
gbm: failed to open any driver (search paths /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri:${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
gbm: Last dlopen error: /usr/lib/dri/i965_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed to load driver: i965
gbm: failed to open any driver (search paths /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri:${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)
gbm: Last dlopen error: /usr/lib/dri/kms_swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed to load driver: kms_swrast
gbm: Last dlopen error: /usr/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
failed to load swrast driver

(abiword:14485): GLib-ERROR **: /build/glib2.0-YYXhFA/glib2.0-2.50.3/./glib/gmem.c:100: failed to allocate 4269314724 bytes
Trace/breakpoint trap
root@stretch:~#
It was just a try. Older versions will fit my needs.
User : Root Password Puppy ... seen in boot scripts. Not needed. Could do however some confusion with Puppy Linux OS.

fredx181

#63 Post by fredx181 »

Yes, didn't try installing abiword earlier, disappointing... apparently it requires libgl1-mesa-dri installed, total disk space used if installed the following: 277MB :roll:

Code: Select all

apt-get install abiword libgl1-mesa-dri
Then abiword runs for me, BUT it flickers, is it a bug ? (or my graphics card?), doing google search for "debian abiword flicker" gives lots of results, most workarounds described changing theme, tried a lot, but nothing works for me.
Finally experimented with installing libabiword-3.0_3.0.2-4 taken from Ubuntu and that solved the flickering for me.
Install for 32 or 64 bit from here (after installing abiword as above and have the flickering problem):
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/NoRepo/

Also I searched for a (smaller) alternative, and found Shinobar's abiword-portable-3.0.0.tar.gz from here:
http://shinobar.server-on.net/puppy/opt/pup5/

But it needs some more dependencies to work on stretch, to satisfy them automatically, I made it into a .deb package: abiword-portable (32 bit only)
https://fredx181.github.io/StretchDog/i ... 0_i386.deb
Install above .deb, or from Synaptic "abiword-portable" or from terminal:

apt-get update
apt-get install abiword-portable
This will take only around 17MB of space used, can anyone test ? (works OK for me though)

EDIT: This .squashfs module containing abiword (v2.8.), gnumeric and inklite works also on Stretchdog 32-bit:
https://github.com/fredx181/StretchDog/ ... 6.squashfs

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 20:51, edited 5 times in total.

don570

#64 Post by don570 »

I forgot to mention to fredx181 ...

For better compatibility to BarryK --->

For the last couple of years Barry has been making
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo
a link to
/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith

This solves a lot of problems with making right click menu items.

hamoudoudou

My SFS is 7MB including Abiword and Gnumeric

#65 Post by hamoudoudou »

About Abiword it was more a test for synaptic downloadind newest applications. Abiword 3.0.2 is difficult to obtain, but DebianDog quite got success..
I like Abiword, in spite of bad comments. 2.8.6 is enough for my usage at home. And SFS can be easily loaded on Dogs.

277 MBs, that is crazy ! My SFS is 7MB including Abiword and Gnumeric (compressed sure)
Versions 2.9 and 3.0.0 are with bugs, whatever could say people of the forum. Abisource solved a lot of these bugs with 3.0.2.. it's Abisource themselves that list the bugs, They miss feedback from users.

westwest

Keyboard Layout

#66 Post by westwest »

I've installed the xfce keyboard panel plugin,
but it will not let me choose an alternate keyboard layout.

This worked fine in dd-jessie...
Any way to make it work?

trister

Browsers in StretchDog64-2017-07-04.iso squashfs/sfs

#67 Post by trister »

just updated some of my browsers and posted them here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 727#972727

I've tested them all with the older StretchDog64-2017-07-04 and they work. I hope they don't need any dependencies I miss.

edit: tried them in my "vanilla" installation and only one lib was needed for the chromium based browsers. added that link too in the above url.

hamoudoudou

Strectch LTK

#68 Post by hamoudoudou »

Stretch i486 deeping tried yesterday. That is this Stretch that i will keep a long time (LTK) because desktop is really Different. And no bugs for what i use. Just Firefox 24.8.1 cannot be updated classical way.
This flavour perhaps does not bring someting new for you, but for me the desktop renew my computing practice
The topic about it has been closed..
Abiword being tried with it this morning. But Abiword last version will not be a No Go item. I can type ith older versions, i am not a Professionnal typist, what i need are some personnel memo s nicely formatted. But that was possible years ago with previous versions. Just avoid versions that destroy your work as 2.9 (sure) and 3.0.0 too
Attachments
DDoginstaller.jpg
partitions numbers unusual
(64.41 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Thu 01 Mar 2018, 08:22, edited 3 times in total.

hamoudoudou

ABiword 3.0.2 installed immediately, nothing to Linux

#69 Post by hamoudoudou »

ABiword 3.0.2 installed immediately, nothing to Linux. Not used now because i explore this Puppy Dog Deepin
"GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged." Of course, it's an evidence.. These explanations do not mean anything, even with my Harraps Bible.
A Transient parent....
Document technical instruction for maintenance is from Windows 95, ISO 9001 (international standard) and IATA (International airlines association) , formatted to be entered in arlines documentation system everywhere in the world.
With Abiword ? Yes , with Abiword., from Abiword
Attachments
compactors.jpg
Titles, schemas, summary, all what a professional typist should know.
(54.21 KiB) Downloaded 1252 times

fredx181

#70 Post by fredx181 »

Looks like you are using old Deepin-Stretch version, better use updated version:
ISO 32-bit: https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/re ... -10-14.iso Size: 382 MB
Md5sum: https://github.com/DebianDog/Stretch/re ... -10-14.md5

See also here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 904#970904

Fred

fredx181

#71 Post by fredx181 »

*** Some tips for making the system boot faster and/or running the system more "light" ***
See here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 426#974426

Fred

westwest

Keyboard Layout

#72 Post by westwest »

I cannot manage to change the keyboard layout with the plugin for xfce.
Or any other way for that matter...
This worked fine in DD-jessie.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

fredx181

Re: Keyboard Layout

#73 Post by fredx181 »

westwest wrote:I cannot manage to change the keyboard layout with the plugin for xfce.
Or any other way for that matter...
This worked fine in DD-jessie.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Yes, that's right, the plugin doesn't work, don't know why, maybe it requres full xfce installed.
To change keyboard layout there's menu entry "Set keyboard layout", it should work, but only after reboot (at least for me)
So I modified script /usr/local/bin/keyboard-layout, to apply the change directly.
Extract attached "keyboard-layout.tar.gz" and replace keyboard-layout in /usr/local/bin
Then run from Menu > System > Set keyboard layout make the change and it should apply directly.

Fred
Attachments
keyboard-layout.tar.gz
keyboard-layout script, extract in /usr/local/bin
(391 Bytes) Downloaded 292 times

westwest

Keyboard

#74 Post by westwest »

Thanks very much, it was the only hiccup in an otherwise fine thing.

trister

#75 Post by trister »

So far I;'ve managed to "migrate" all my stuff from the older stretchdog64 to the new StretchDog64 2017-10-10.

Some minor issues still exists.

eg
Full screen on gnomeplayer is not working . It fills screen but the actual movie size is small. In the previous Sd64 it was working ok
(edit)It seems that full screen works if I set from preferences>player>video output-->x11 (/edit)
Also, mpv player requires libgnutls-deb0.so.28

Again, amazing job fredx :)

fredx181

#76 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:So far I;'ve managed to "migrate" all my stuff from the older stretchdog64 to the new StretchDog64 2017-10-10.

Some minor issues still exists.

eg
Full screen on gnomeplayer is not working . It fills screen but the actual movie size is small. In the previous Sd64 it was working ok
(edit)It seems that full screen works if I set from preferences>player>video output-->x11 (/edit)
Another option (without changing to x11) is to add "-zoom" to the extra options for mplayer in Preferences, see pic
Probably for the 0.9 version, you installed 0.9.4-ddjessie ?, libgnutls-deb0.so.28 should be in /usr/local/lib, not ?
There's also latest mpv version 0.27 in custom repos, btw.

EDIT: @all Newest firefox deb packages (v57.0), see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 875#974875

Fred
Attachments
zoom-mplayer.png
Gnome-mplayer fix for full screen
(56.5 KiB) Downloaded 1620 times

trister

#77 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote: ...
Probably for the 0.9 version, you installed 0.9.4-ddjessie ?, libgnutls-deb0.so.28 should be in /usr/local/lib, not ?
There's also latest mpv version 0.27 in custom repos, btw.
Fred
ok thanks for the -zoom command. Didn't know it.

I'm not using mpv. I;'m using mostly gnome player.
I just posted it because the default mpv that is in the 01-filesystem is missing a dependency (and since the default media player is mpv -at least for .MKV files- double clicking a video file does nothing).

rcrsn51

#78 Post by rcrsn51 »

FWIW, the preferred video setting is xv over x11 if your hardware supports it. This is the default in Peasy DVD Player.

You may need libgl1-mesa-dri to get xv working.

fredx181

#79 Post by fredx181 »

trister wrote:I'm not using mpv. I;'m using mostly gnome player.
I just posted it because the default mpv that is in the 01-filesystem is missing a dependency (and since the default media player is mpv -at least for .MKV files- double clicking a video file does nothing).
Ok, I see, just reporting, but it's strange because for me mpv works fine on a clean install of 64bit 2017-10-10 version.
So there may be something wrong at your end, e.g. perhaps not having /usr/local/lib in library path ?, you can check with:

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Fred

trister

#80 Post by trister »

fredx181 wrote:
trister wrote:I'm not using mpv. I;'m using mostly gnome player.
Ok, I see, just reporting, but it's strange because for me mpv works fine on a clean install of 64bit 2017-10-10 version.
So there may be something wrong at your end, e.g. perhaps not having /usr/local/lib in library path ?, you can check with:

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
Fred
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
is empty so it might be it...