StretchDog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jangelelcangry

#91 Post by jangelelcangry »

Have you installed mesa dri yet?

see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 414#965414

This https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux seems to say that there are a few other things to install too.
Thank you very much! It works now.

jangelelcangry

#92 Post by jangelelcangry »

I forgot to mention it seems that polaris GPUs are having font scaling issues that makes it nearly unreadable.
the Icon fonts are readable because I set it to 28 on the look and feel menu but makes the font of applications like synaptic way too big . the Openbox settings appears to have no effect.
Attachments
debdog-20180112071218.jpg
taskbar items and Conky are unreadable.
(116 KiB) Downloaded 260 times

fredx181

#93 Post by fredx181 »

Hi jangelelcangry, for JWM, the only way I know of (and works) is by editing ~/.jwmrc, search for <Font>
and to make 28, change e.g. to:

Code: Select all

<Font>DejaVu Sans  -28</Font>
Edit: for Synaptic (gtk3 application), edit :
/root/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini, e.g.

Code: Select all

gtk-font-name=Sans 11
Edit2:
@ALL, Recommended to upgrade the kernel, see here;
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 018#980018
Fred

jangelelcangry

#94 Post by jangelelcangry »

Well. It seems that the driver fixed all those issues.
I'm impress how smooth the webpages are now.
despite there's some noticeable screen tearing and I cant run YT @4K (DAMN YOU DRM!) It runs really nice and it can run 1080p60 fine.
Thanks dancytron fredx181 for your help and good job fredx181 with this distro.

trister

mount of external .DAT files

#95 Post by trister »

Hello,
One of the things that I missed from JessieDog to StretchDog and DebLive stretch was the ability to mount .DAT save files (from other frugal installs) to my current loaded OS.
I used it very much when I was doing migrations or wanted to clone the browser profile folder between installations. The specific association was missing from StretchDogs.

I implemented a simple solution for me by just adding 2 files to 'root/.local/share/applications/'

If you are using another user eg puppy you could copy the files in your /home.puppy/.local/share/applications/

I've attached the created squashfs file that I use. It is compredded in gzip so you must decompress it.
Attachments
load_and_mount_dat_files_v01.squashfs.gz
mount .DAT save files (from other frugal installs)
(641 Bytes) Downloaded 264 times

zagreb999

frisbee+netw.manag. gnome

#96 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS

IS THERE A WAY TO INSTALL TOGETHER
FRISBEE AND NETWORK-MANAGER-GNOME;
ONE FOR MOBILE BROADBAND, ANOTHER FOR
WIFI?

fredx181

Re: frisbee+netw.manag. gnome

#97 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote:REGARDS

WIFI?
Don't think so, from what I tested in the past, they conflict with each other.

Fred

mikeslr

#98 Post by mikeslr »

WIFI?
Build them both as Squashfiles -- loaded on the fly?

mikeslr

mikeslr

digikam 5.9.0 and Openshot 2.4.1 AppImages in Stretchdog6

#99 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Just wanted to mention that the AppImages of digikam 5.9.0 and Openshot 2.4.1 appear to function under StretchDog64.

This version of digikam appears to be a rather complete photomanagement and editing application.

This version of Openshot adds several new functions, apparently among them a fairly easy way to turn sequential photos into video rather than a slide show.

Haven't done much with them beyond opening the applications without incident.

You can find them here:

https://www.digikam.org/download/

https://www.openshot.org/download/

mikesLr

wiak

#100 Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote:

WIFI?
Build them both as Squashfiles -- loaded on the fly?

mikeslr
That would probably work if you didn't want either to become active automatically at boot time. Otherwise, for example, /etc/init.d/frisbee (I think is the script name) is automatically run during boot should frisbee be installed.

wiak

hamoudoudou

Synaptic : update it to get all applications

#101 Post by hamoudoudou »

Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder.
OK with Stretchdog.
NotaBENE Not true with XEnialDOG, which is strange (Version to reinstall)
SSR as an example, wex is available in menu multimedia for screencast and much more.
Attachments
isobooter.jpg
Isobooter used for Multiboot.. (easy way for newbies)
(52.99 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
multimedia.jpg
Stretchdog Multimedia
(63.08 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

fredx181

Re: Synaptic : update it to get all applications

#102 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder.
OK with Stretchdog.
NotaBENE Not true with XEnialDOG, which is strange (Version to reinstall)
SSR as an example, wex is available in menu multimedia for screencast and much more.
If your question is: "How to install Simple Screen Recorder on Xenialdog?", it belongs in the XenialDog thread, so answered here (need to add ppa first):
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 811#989811

Fred

hamoudoudou

#103 Post by hamoudoudou »

"Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder." means that Synaptic once updated will provide SSR
Nothing to do.. no repository to add.

fredx181

#104 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:"Synaptic : update it to get all applications as SSR simplescreenrecorder." means that Synaptic once updated will provide SSR
Nothing to do.. no repository to add.
Indeed for Stretch... there's nothing needed to do first, just install SSR.
But for Xenial.... the extra repo needs to be added first, then it's possible to install SSR.

Fred

hamoudoudou

Packages for xenial are all icluded in Stretch

#105 Post by hamoudoudou »

Then the question would be why to use XenialDog when Stretch does not only the same but much better.
Packages for xenial are all included in Stretch

fredx181

Re: Packages for xenial are all icluded in Stretch

#106 Post by fredx181 »

hamoudoudou wrote:Then the question would be why to use XenialDog when Stretch does not only the same but much better.
Packages for xenial are all included in Stretch
Well, I am using Stretch myself mostly, but there are probably lots of reasons people may prefer an Ubuntu based distro (like Xenial)...
EDIT:
To be able to extend the package repositories with "PPA's" is a big advantage that Ubuntu has. (these ppa's are not supported for Debian, however sometimes it works)

Btw, SSR is only one example where Stretch has it by default and Xenial not.
That doesn't prove for me that Stretch is better in general.

Fred

wiak

#107 Post by wiak »

Nothing against Stretch as a distribution. However...

I don't know why Simple Screen Recorder isn't in Xenial usual repositories (though as Fred has pointed out there is a Ubuntu ppa that caters for it). I expect it is in Ubuntu Bionic repositories anyway. But it being in Debian repository and not in Ubuntu repository is an exception to the usual situation, IMO. The larger games packages my kids want (newest versions) usually cater for Ubuntu current version but not so much Debian I find - hence I use Ubuntu-based dogs in preference to Debian ones since, I find, usually, pretty much every application packager aims a new package release Ubuntu's way first...

wiak

hamoudoudou

i woud not spend days on SSR

#108 Post by hamoudoudou »

i would not spend days on SSR, but even precise Puppy got it in repositories (archives) I think Ubuntu users made a retrofit.. to provide it to people using Precise as a real LTS (schools mainly). Nice tool to teach using Video.
Dont forget Xvidcap (All included)
Xenial without FFmpeg is awful. as soon as you load a multimedia, it would be lucky if libav version fits (53 54 55 56 57 you see what i mean)

sszindian

32 bit programs

#109 Post by sszindian »

@fredx181

Just got into this Dog, very nice indeed!! Smooth as silk!!

Wondering what the trick is to install a 32bit googleearth 6.2.2 sfs in it? (I'm running the 64 bit)

>>>---Indian------>

For anyone interested... my little 'cloud pup' works great in this Dog after using the convert .pet to deb also, the NoBlankScreen ( from back aways, maybe Lupu?) works great also after a conversion with the .pet to deb program.
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

s243a

#110 Post by s243a »

I've been setting this dog up pretty slick, with tor, freenet, i2p, privoxy, foxyproxy, etc. I'm actually preferring the debian-dog distros over both Ubuntu puppies/dogs and debian puppies now for two reaons.

1. I think Ubuntu has more bloat the Debian
2. Many of the post install/configure scripts in Debian packages are tightly integrated with the system and fragile. I'm not convinced that puppy handles this well. For instance when I tried to install java from the debian repos on dpup stretch it didn't work for me. Sure I could use the Oracle version but if I'm going to use the debian repos, I want to take advantage of it's tightly integrated setup. Many debian packages expect things to be set-up in a certain way and I know if I use the debian package manager that it will get this job done right.

On the downside though, I find the menus harder to navigate. I like how puppy organizes things. Also I can't figure out how to give non root users (e.g. puppy) access to the display. This is causing me problems trying to run the tor browser.

Currently, I run the stand-alone tor with firefox but I mostly use it for the duckduckgo hidden service and other onion sites. There is a firefox plugin called, "open in tor browser" and I think that if I use a hidden service search it might be nice to open some links in an extra private browser.

P.S. I'm running this dog in a virtual box and it is working better in a virtual box for me than any puppy has (not counting fatdog64, which also runs well in a virtualbox).

P.S.#2 If I type "xhost +" prior to switching users then I'm able to open a display.