Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 22:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
sea monkey failings
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
debroos

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 15:05    Post subject:  sea monkey failings
Subject description: incomplete web pages

I'm a complete newbie to Puppy and with negligible experience of linux coding. I've installed puppy 4.3 on a bootable flash drive and it seems to work well thus far, apart from one - maybe more - web page which only offers a blank page when the connection to the site is completed. The site in question is - https://online-go.com/. Is there an upgraded version of sea monkey which might work, or is it possible to download and install firefox? Thanks for reading this Smile
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 18:55    Post subject:  

Hallo, debroos. And 'Welcome' to the kennels!

Now, then; it kinda begs the question, but.....why have you gone for such an old version of Puppy? Depending on your machine specs, it may be possible to install and/or use a much newer version. After all, Pup's requirements are very modest.....and the version of Pup will depend on how new a browser you can manage to run. Confused (Which isn't to say that 4.3 isn't a very good Puppy; it is.....but you may well be able to use a newer one.)

You don't need much knowledge of coding to use Pup; she's pretty easy-going, once you know your way around. Smile

It's certainly possible to download & install a newer version of SeaMonkey or Firefox (I know 4.3's SeaMonkey is pretty ancient - that's why you're having problems with certain sites), but older Puppies will have problems running newer browsers; they're all getting rather bloated nowadays, and the security requirements of modern browsers are getting quite high! If you could let us know your machine's specs (make & model, CPU, amount of RAM, hard drive, graphics chip (or card), etc), it'll help us to advise you better....OK? We're not very good with the old crystal ball; we need you to be our eyes & ears, please! Laughing

You could always try the builds watchdog has put together for Puppy4 in this post in the PaleMoon thread (PaleMoon is a fork of FireFox which is rather lighter):-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=942829#942829

There's 3 builds in the current 27-series down the bottom of the post. Just download the one you want, navigate to where you downloaded it, then single-click on the .pet package to install it.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Mike. Wink

watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 13 Oct 2017, 23:32    Post subject:  

Remember to instal dbus and dbus-glib in any puppy4 before using any modern browser. Puppy4 is a little outdated and suited for amateurs. Search the forum for the packages providing them:

http://wellminded.net63.net/

In official repository there are:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/dbus-1.2.14-i486.pet

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/dbus-glib-0.80-i486.pet

But I installed dbus and dbus-glib from old debian lenny. Consider that precise puppy 5.7.1 should be considered the new first choice for old hardware and that the official latest palemoon runs on precise puppy 5.7.1 without adding any package.
debroos

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 12:29    Post subject: Old dogs
Subject description: outdated software

Thanks a lot for your considered reply and very welcome advice.
The PC is an Asus EEE pc netbook- 904HA. The CPU is Intel Atom N270/1.6GHz. There’s 1GB of RAM – DDR2 SDRAM – 533 MHz, an LED screen – WSVGA display and a 160 GB HDD. There’s no separate graphics card that I’m aware of – I think the graphics is integrated with the motherboard.

I didn’t know it was an old version of Puppy. I used the ‘universal usb installer.’ exe from pendrive Linux.com to download and create a bootable usb version of Linux. I chose Puppy for reasons outlined below, choosing a version at random from a drop down list of distros appearing on the installer. I also tried Wary Puppy, Slax and Bodhi – to no avail. Bodhi would freeze at the end of the boot countdown.

The netbook used to have Windows XP on it. I had Ubuntu 14.04 dual booting for a couple of years – which worked fine (after several weeks of grappling with the coding suggestions from the Ubuntu forum, which has left me with a mighty fear of even going near to linux code), then around a year ago I decided to wipe XP and replace it with Ubuntu. The machine has never worked properly since.

I decided to have another bash at resurrecting the beast a few weeks ago. Cutting a long story short – I’ve re-installed 14.04 around a dozen times and Lubuntu 17.04 three or four. On the days of installation they both worked fine, no problems. I would shutdown and reboot umpteen times on the day of installation and it would be smooth and fairly quick operation with no glitches. However, without exception, on the next day or occasionally on the next plus one, it would boot up ok, but on shutdown there would be a quick flash of half a screen of text before it closed. The boot following this would fail, with the error message “…attempt to read or write outside hd0”, followed by the “Grub Rescue” prompt. The forums provide squillions of solutions, the greater part of which I am unable to comprehend and those I have attempted have failed to fix it and several times have made it worse. “USB keyboard is already loaded” appeared once.

Hence I turned to the USB drive option. I downloaded the PhoenixOS iso but had no success with the burn to the USB drive and then I found someone on youtube burning Bodhi to a flash drive, using the software mentioned above – altogether very inspiring - so I looked for what appeared to be the lightest distros available via this app and Puppy seemed to fit the bill. It installed ok, it looks great and seems to work nicely. It doesn’t save my settings for an unknown reason, but I can live with that, but playing Go online is one of the few things for which this netbook is ideal and I'm assuming Firefox will enable that.

I’ll have a crack at downloading and installing the versions you’ve mentioned. I’ll burn them to CD if I can’t suss how to get them on a USB. Thanks again for your help – I appreciate it very much. Very Happy
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 14:03    Post subject:  

universal usb installer should allow you to install a specific iso.
You just need to make sure you tell it the specific iso to install.

I suggest you try using Tahrpup 6.0.5
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178

8Geee

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 14:56    Post subject: Buy a cd/dvd burner  

I would like to suggest the following

Invest $40 in a CD/DVD burner (full size that needs a wall transformer).
Burn the iso to a CD... keep the CD/DVD burner USB connection
go into BIOS f2 and change QUICK and QUIET settings to DISABLE
In BIOS select the CD/DVD burner as top selection in BOOT order (first)
You can now BOOT puppy from the CD
Exit BIOS (f10)
After the PUPPY is BOOTED use the MENU button to find GPARTED
The name of your USB drive is shown... select that (usually sdb)
FORMAT the USB drive to 1 Gb and select EXT3 as the file system
When done, right click on the 1Gb partition and Manage Flags... select BOOT
Exit GPARTED
This will allow puppy to be run using RAM, and be stored on a newer USB drive.

At this point if you wish, that 80Gb HDD can be used as storage by opening GPARTED again, and selecting the HDD (usually sda) and select show hidden partitions
DELETE the entire Drive, Partition-by-partition
When done pick a larger size, say 20Gb and FORMAT as ext3
Exit GPARTED

I have a 900a version and the CD/DVD burner makes puppy a very easy to use OS once its set up properly in these netbooks. Besides you can play CD's and DVD's through your eeepc. IMHO worth every penny spent. /MHO
You can tryoout other distros like Slacko 5.3.3, eons-2018, slacko 5.7 or slacko 6.3 along with other tahr-pups or unicorn.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 15:18    Post subject:  

Hi again, debroos.

Sounds a familiar tale. Ubuntu is the one touted by all the bloggers & reviewers as being the best 'beginner's' distro. Unfortunately, it's also one of the 'heaviest' and most complex in terms of hardware requirements.....Mark Shuttleworth has long since decided he wants to become the Bill Gates of the Linux world. Rolling Eyes

8Geee is our resident eeePC expert; the man knows what he's talking about..! Take his advice, and you won't go far wrong.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 14 Oct 2017, 18:06    Post subject:  

Hi debroos,

I agree with what's been said so far, except Laughing

I'd put purchasing a CD/DVD burner "on the back-burner" for now. My inclination would be to create boot-able USB-Keys of various Puppy versions in order to test and find out which works best with your computer and for your objectives.

USB-Keys are cheap. I recently picked up a package of 3 8 Gb USB-Keys for about $10. Keeping it simple, you should be able to create other boot-able Puppy USB-Keys the same way as you created the Puppy 4.3 boot-able USB-Key. But, if that's not the case, let us know and we'll walk you thru using your running Puppy 4.3 to create other Puppy USB-keys.

Because of the Asus EEE pc netbook- 904HA's small screen size, I'd recommend Xfce versions of the Puppies already mentioned. Moreover, Xfce uses Thunar as a file-manager and Thunar usually involves less of a learning curve for XP-emigres than Puppy's standard rox-filemanager.

I often recommend Slacko 5.7, Despite that it is now a couple of years old, there are applications to do pretty much anything you want, including modern web-browsers excluding google-chrome and its clones. You'll find a link to the Xfce version here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=726493#726493. The xfce version of Tahrpup will be found here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=851375#851375.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 12:19; edited 1 time in total
debroos

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 06:14    Post subject: Hot diggity dog
Subject description: Puppy rocks

Many thanks to you all for brilliant advice - this is a great forum.

Yesterday I installed Precise Puppy 5.7.1 and the various pet files and Pale Moon from the links that Mike Walsh posted and everything works really well, which is the first time ever for me, in Linux world. What an incredible OS!

I will check out the other versions suggested and give them a whirl and maybe set about installing the final solution to the hard drive. There's no operating system on the netbook at the minute, so I've nothing to lose. Very Happy
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 12:43    Post subject: Also worth trying  

Hi debroos,

I haven't personally tested mistfire's X-Slacko Slim 4.2r59, available here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=909819#909819. But its description suggests that it is "small screen friendly". Other characteristics listed may make it a very suitable Puppy for your computer. Although it is based on Slacko 6.3.2, I doubt whether it would require more 'computer resources' than a Slacko 5.7. I think it would also be able to handle 'google-chrome' clones, which Slacko 5.7's can't. Look in the "Additional Software Forum -- Browsers and Internet" for 32-bit versions of Chromium, Slimjet, Iron or Opera. These are packaged as SFSes -- like Window's portables, you load-and-unload them rather than install them. Loading can be automatic on bootup until you choose otherwise. SFSes can be tried without otherwise changing your system; newer versions tested without deleting older versions; 'though you do have to unload the older versions.

X-Slacko Slim 4.2r59 seems to be a Puppy version at least worth a test on your system.

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 15 Oct 2017, 16:34    Post subject:  

mikesLr wrote:
I think it would also be able to handle 'google-chrome' clones, which Slacko 5.7's can't.

Nope. I have to disagree with you on that one, Mike. I'm currently in Slacko 570, posting this from the final version of SlimJet that 570 will handle; 14.0.16.0. (After this it wants a newer version of libstdc++.....too closely related to the glibc for my liking. I'll not 'mess' with it..!)

This Pup runs four Chromium 'clones'. The final 32-bit Linux release of Chrome (48.0.2564.116); my 'back-up' Chromium (an old one; 36.0.1985.143.....but it always just 'works'); SlimJet 14.0.16.0.....and Iron 58.0.3050.0.

As long as you install Oscar's libgconf and libgnome-keyring .pets, I find it'll run the Chromium 'clones' quite happily. Both of these are available from Oscar's 'Smokey' repo, here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

These same four browsers are running in my install of Precise 5.7.1.....by once again installing those two necessary .pets from Oscar's repo.

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 16 Oct 2017, 12:46    Post subject: Thanks, Mike Walsh  

Hi Mike,

Thanks for correcting me. And reminding me of my own limitations.

It really pisses me off that in my country, Republicans --whose policies I frequently don't support-- have a better grasp of our limited mental capabilities and better command of the language. I have in mind the following quote from Donald Rumsfeld:

"There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns."

mikesLr
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 05:55    Post subject:  

Quote:
What's New in SeaMonkey 2.49.1
SeaMonkey now uses gtk3 on Linux.

sfs (only tested on LxPupSc and ArtfulPup)...
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/Other/LxPupSc/browsers/

peebee

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 12:12    Post subject:  

But it looks like the Slackware build is still GTK+2.....
http://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/xap/seamonkey-2.49.1-i586-1.txz

8Geee

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017, 16:04    Post subject:  

debroos...
If you're still here, try EONS-2018A. Its designed for an EEEpc (and other netbooks) using the Atom processor.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: