Are You Kidding? Is This True? Who Thinks Of This Stuff?

Booting, installing, newbie
happydog500

Are You Kidding? Is This True? Who Thinks Of This Stuff?

#1 Post by happydog500 »

I installed Puppy. Spent the whole evening getting it set up just the way I wanted. When you quit, if you click the wrong thing (not to save), it wipes out your whole system.

After I installed, I find puppy can't be updated. You have to wait until a new version comes out, to update.

With pale moon, I updated it (amazing you can update just that in the menu), I can't listen to radio websites. "Needs Update" after the update.

The fact that shutting down wipes out your whole system. Can't update a computer, who thinks of that?

When I install a OS, they always need updating. Security problems are found all the time. Is it true you can't update the system with puppy?

Why would they make a OS that if you don't save it on exit, EVERYTHING goes back to default?

I had it running pretty good. I liked it, but am amazed at the lack of updating and having the whole system disappear on a reboot.

Is there a way to update the system in the terminal?

I know now to save on exit, but what about a default exit that doesn't have a choice to wipe out the system?

Thank you,
Chris.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey happy

puppy is different from other OSs, it's small fast and easy, but it's different

the fact that it can lose everything is a good thing, it means you can recover your system instantly - cool, delete the save file if it's buggered and your away

want to back up your system, copy the savefile, job done

shutting down does not wipe your system, forgetting to create a savefile wipes your system, not puppy's fault

we love puppy for not updating all the time, been running my current setup for a year, never updated a thing, haven't needed to

yes to upgrade means to install a new puppy, takes about a minute, oh, and you can keep the old one or add 10 or 20 more

some builds allow updating of some components but as a whole we don't

I still use on occasion puppeee from 2010, works like a charm

find a build you are happy with, frugal install it, create a savefile and reboot, build it how you want it then copy the savefile with .bak or similar and you're all set

forgot about updating all the bloody time, run and enjoy

:)

ps - welcome

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

I know now to save on exit, but what about a default exit that doesn't have a choice to wipe out the system?
The choice is to save or not save.

After you make a save and reboot using it.
The save automatically gets used and updated with data you add to Puppy.
That first shutdown screen you will not see anymore.

Sorry you lost your added data and setup settings.

That first shutdown information screen gives you the information on saving.
You may or may not want to save.
So, you have to choose.

Computers only do what you tell them to do.
You tell them to do the wrong thing.
Is that you or the computers fault?

Puppy does not have a team of people getting paid to work on Puppy.
There is no demand for them to constantly turn out software.
Puppy updates when there is a good reason to update.

If it is not broken do not try to fix it rule!!

There are core parts of Puppy that have not changed for years.

The PaleMoon browser update is offered, because the developers of it, constantly keep updating that thing.

Get off the Windows constant update thinking!!!

Like any other operating system.
If enough stuff changes, Puppy offers a newer version.
Do you have to use the newer version.
It is up to you.

If it is not broken do not try to fix it rule!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, happydog500. And 'Welcome' to the kennels.

If you don't mind my saying so, you do sound as though as you're a former/current Windows user.....yes? Y'know, there's two main reasons why other systems constantly upgrade/update all the time.

1) Because the 'in-house' programming/coding teams need to be doing something all the time in order to justify their existence...and

2) If stuff was written properly the first time round, there wouldn't be any need to keep re-writing it...! :lol:

(Okay, we know that second one is a wee bit fallacious. Upgrades (security, especially) do need performing.....largely due to the vast army of script-kiddies/hackers/professional criminal gangs who appear to make a living out of buggering up your system and mine.....or simply do it for the malicious 'fun' of it).

But, believe it or not, despite Pup's 'running-as-root' model, despite the lack of automatic/manual/any sort of updates on a 'regular' basis, I've yet to hear of one single Puppy user who's suffered any kind of attack that's seriously compromised their system.

MyCrudSoft's updates are necessary for one simple reason; they can't code to save their lives.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As ally says, Pup's choice of save/don't save at exit is one of its strengths. The ease of backing-up the save-file/folder is another (it really is as simple as 'copy' & 'paste'.....literally!) It means that you can experiment to your heart's content, safe in the knowledge that if things do get terminally messed-up, you simply start over with a fresh save-file/folder.

The other thing which prohibits any kind of malware getting a hold is probably two-fold. One, the robust Linux permissions system.....and two, the fact that Pup's union-layer/aufs type of construction and operation is so unusual that malware doesn't even know where to start, let alone actually do anything 'malicious'.

The final point I'd like to make is linked to something else ally said.....about re-mastering. Many of our members have taken their preferred Puppy, customized to whatever degree they want (programs, apps, personal touches, etc.), then 're-mastered' that specific version into a new, 'custom' ISO file. That ISO file is then burnt to disc.....and Puppy is run, ever after, as a permanent 'LiveCD/LiveDVD' (which always loses everything at shutdown). Why? Because they prefer it that way.....and with your 'personalisation' already a part of the disc in 'read-only' form, it can't be 'lost'.

If you run any other Linux distro like this, you don't experience the full speed benefits......because this is not the way they're built to run. Because Pup is designed to 'run in RAM'.....you do.

Mike. :wink:

Gordie

Try again

#5 Post by Gordie »

Just try again and make your initial setup and reboot. Choose to keep a savefile and you are off to the races. On reboot you will see your changes are still there