ROX-Filer 2.11 patched

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
Puppus Dogfellow

#31 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

thanks for this, woodenshoe-wi.

working well in an old xenial32 spin (based on 704) and a few tahr64 spins (based on 605).

had backups of the pinboard(s) so having mine reset to the alien default wasn't a problem; being able to remove and move columns is great; the installation preserved all my other rox mods (custom icons and the ability to set right click shortcuts were added to the original iso and not lost when the new items were added to the tool bar and menus); the clipboard is great....

mirrored your efforts here: rox filer 4 by woodenshoe (32/64)

thanks again!

-pd

woodenshoe-wi

#32 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Here are new pets with the 'Delete' key binding change and menu rearranging. I decided to go with "Ctrl+D" for 'Duplicate' because that makes the menu a little narrower and is easier to type.
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xpy3m3nlhmqn ... 5.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/yghhwqcwejqwi ... 5.pet?dl=1

I also made some changes to the copy and move functions to bring them closer in line with the jun7 branch. If you don't have "Quite" mode default for the 'Copy' and 'Move' dialogues it will still prompt you if overwriting an older file with a newer one even if the 'Newer' check box is ticked. Jun7 figures it is a bug if you want to be prompted for every action (you are not in "Quite" mode) and older files get overwritten by newer ones without being prompted even though you are prompted for every move or copy that doesn't result in an overwrite. Makes sense to me, so this change is intentional.

Pets that are suitable for woof builds are available upon request, but they are not meant for installing into a running system so I am not posting links here.

Smithy

#33 Post by Smithy »

Seems to be working good Woodenshoe, Not noticed any bugs in cut, copy paste.
What are roxapps btw? Can one make videoplayers and audio players for rox? I think pizzagood's ram thing was a roxapp?
Too lazy to search through loads of..text.

woodenshoe-wi

#34 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Smithy wrote:What are roxapps btw? Can one make videoplayers and audio players for rox? I think pizzagood's ram thing was a roxapp?
Too lazy to search through loads of..text.
I'm afraid I can't help you there, I don't know anything about roxapps myself.

Unless it is the same thing as an AppDir which just means that it is a directory with an AppRun script inside and unless you hold down the "Shift" key when you click on it ROX will run the AppRun script instead of opening the directory.

Directories can also have a .DirIcon file inside which will be shown instead of the standard directory icon for that particular directory, and this version of ROX has the patch applied to allow files to have "comment" files.
Attachments
comment_DirIcon.png
(37.7 KiB) Downloaded 767 times

woodenshoe-wi

#35 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version for testing,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvhsutzp1xu8f ... e.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/eaoh8kw74wfgk ... e.pet?dl=1

These have some significant changes in the way that filer windows are closed if the directory they are showing is missing/deleted. It is now a setting in 'Options...' if you want to close the window automatically.

woodenshoe-wi

#36 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version for testing,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7ahi4nv1dwwu ... e.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhnw2zpanjdy6 ... e.pet?dl=1
recobayu wrote:I still have problem when i will select multiple file by mouse (block by click and drag) in list view mode. I must choose the right coordinate (usually a line between two file) so i can block it. Could it be more easier as icon view does?
I finally got a solution that I am happy with, so give it a try with the new version. Items can be dragged by clicking in the icon and name columns, but all other columns will start a selection box.

I also cherry-picked the commit from jun7 adding an optional atime column, so if you want to see the Last Accessed time in list view mode, look in Options...

I was able to figure out that the strange behavior from the common32/64 versions was from specifying a nonexistent backdrop image in PuppyPin, so I am not releasing pets that are suitable for woof builds until this is figured out.

I would appreciate it if people would be willing to test this version, because if nothing serious is found I hope it could be included in the next testing version of Puppy.

torm

#37 Post by torm »

Hello

Downloaded from github, compiled with clicking the folder.
Running it in ( almost.. ) fresh savefolder of TahrPup606, 32bit.
Did not notice any changes to desktop wallpaper or icons btw.
First impression is, that new menuitems work fine, at least with defaults.
/tmp/xerrs.log and /var/log/messages look clean.
Could be grouped differently, while that is not an issue atm.

I kinda like the way web-browsers manage files with the same name.
Does it matter which one is newer if I download rox-filer-master from different
locations? It just renames the second package to rox-filer-master(1), and so on..
Maybe "New" toolbutton could use a similar method?

Are there any plans to dig deeper with this project?
There are some small issues that cannot be resolved without changes to source,
then again - I have no intention to derail or hijack this topic here..

woodenshoe-wi

#38 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

torm wrote: I kinda like the way web-browsers manage files with the same name.
Does it matter which one is newer if I download rox-filer-master from different
locations? It just renames the second package to rox-filer-master(1), and so on..
Maybe "New" toolbutton could use a similar method?
What "different locations" are you downloading from? I merged the dtomas fork https://github.com/dtomas/rox-filer (last activity Feb, 2016) and the seirios fork https://github.com/seirios/rox-filer (last activity May 2017) and cherry-picked some commits from the jun7 fork https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer (actively maintained). The master branch of each of these forks is different.

As for the "New" toolbutton, the "NewDir" and "NewFile" text is just a placeholder and should be replaced with more meaningful names. I don't see how "NewDir(1)", "NewDir(2)"... would be useful.

If you want files to be renamed when moving them to a directory that already has files with the same name you should try the jun7 fork, I think sequence numbering is already implemented there. Because I wanted the commits for clipboard support from the dtomas fork they came with merge conflicts with the jun7 fork, but I would rather work on figuring out how to get clipboard support cherry-picked to the jun7 fork than trying to merge all the changes from the jun7 fork.
torm wrote: Are there any plans to dig deeper with this project?
There are some small issues that cannot be resolved without changes to source,
then again - I have no intention to derail or hijack this topic here..
Well, I think this topic is about any patched version of ROX-Filer that is used with Puppy Linux. It was started by radky, I worked on it for a while and I think I am close to being done with the changes I wanted, and if you have the inclination to pick it up and continue with more changes I think this topic would be the appropriate place to do it.

musher0

#39 Post by musher0 »

@woodenshoe:

The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your
version. No 2nd ROX-Filer window pops up when I click "Customize Menu".
So the symlinks associated to a file type cannot be changed.

(This in the echinus window manager. Someone please confirm or contradict
the above with jwm or icewm? Thanks.)

So I'll be sticking with the ROX-Filer Classic. Don't feel discouraged, continue
applying your inquisitive and brilliant mind to Puppy stuff.

Maybe just test more the parts you have not changed against the part you
have changed? (This is not meant to be personal criticism, it is a principle of
programming.)

Good continuation. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

sheldonisaac

"Customize Menu"?

#40 Post by sheldonisaac »

musher0 (in part) wrote:]The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your

(This in the echinus window manager. Someone please confirm or contradict
the above with jwm or icewm?
By coincidence, I downloaded this ROX-Filer pet today, and intended to try it, without loading the savefile, in your Xenial 7.06 (my everyday OS)

I don't know what this "Customize Menu" is; is it related to my use of JWM?

So I will go ahead with trying this new ROX-Filer.

Thanks.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

musher0

#41 Post by musher0 »

Hello sheldonisaac.

The use of ROX-Filer's "Customize Menu" is explained towards the bottom
of Chapter 6 in the ROX-Filer's Manual. To see it, type, in console (or
directly):

Code: Select all

defaulthtmlviewer file:///usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Help/Manual.html
and scroll down towards the bottom of Chapter 6.

I have included a couple of screen captures related to the use of this
"Customize Menu".

The "Customize Menu" is an entry in ROX's "Right-Click Menu." It is not part
of any window manager.

IHTH.
Attachments
ROX-Help-Customize-Menu.jpg
(143.13 KiB) Downloaded 563 times
ROX-Customize-Menu-menu.jpg
(73.29 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
ROX-Customize-Menu.jpg
(97.67 KiB) Downloaded 593 times
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

woodenshoe-wi

#42 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

musher0 wrote: The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your
I think the problem is caused by to the SendTo symlink pointing to a nonexistent directory, and I patched ROX to create the directory if it doesn't exist.

Although I can understand why my changes to ROX would keep the second window from popping up, I don't understand how the "Classic" ROX-Filer could actually add links associated to a file type while the SendTo symlink points to a nonexistent directory...

So, if you would please test one of these pets to see if the problem is actually fixed,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7d0vo7aqdfhh ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/p82c8x5z2j7h5 ... 4.pet?dl=1

torm

#43 Post by torm »

The "jun7" version failed to compile the last I checked it.. maybe downloaded on a bad day.
I was thinking about "lightweight" version of ROX-Filer, with a simple copy/paste ( found here )
and a foolproof "back-same" toolbutton. Maybe toolbar should also be separated into
hard-coded / user-selectable / user-definable sections, so it would be more of a use
for both users and theme design.
For now I have no idea, need to read the source in detail, so it wouldn't be any time soon.
It takes time to start thinking GTK-2 again..

PS.
No problems here with "customize menu" .
Attachments
rox_cut-paste.png
ROX cutting and pasting.. Moved the "paste" item to submenu.
(141.13 KiB) Downloaded 772 times

woodenshoe-wi

#44 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

I have been able to compile the jun7 version in a xenial based pup, but I haven't tried it in tahr.

That is one of the downsides of having new features/code fixes, sometimes they depend on newer versions of libraries.

You can choose which buttons you want on the toolbar in "Options...", but I don't think there is the ability to add user defined buttons.

torm

#45 Post by torm »

..jun7 compile error was from gcc about something C99 mode only..
Nevermind.
__

Now, just my two cents ( lines.. ) for patching ROX.

options.c file..
in *build_label ( around line 1369 ) add:

gtk_event_box_set_visible_window(GTK_EVENT_BOX(spacer), FALSE);
and in *build_spacer ( around line 1386 ) add:

gtk_event_box_set_visible_window(GTK_EVENT_BOX(eb), FALSE);

.. and that should remove the strange stripes in Options window text area, that appear
with almost any other GTK-2 theme. Should work for GTK-2 ( since: GTK 2.4 ) versions of ROX.
While spacers can be replaced with "empty labels" in xml file - there's no external workaround
for infolabels that have the GtkEventBox window as built-in.
There must be some better way to create dummy spacers, however this should pretty up
this ugly hack for now .. :)

woodenshoe-wi

#46 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Thanks for documenting your fix.

I don't have time to work on this now.

davids45

64-bit Rox and column positioning

#47 Post by davids45 »

G'day woodenshoe-wi,

If you find some time to get back to this :) , I have tried your latest 64-bit version in a 64-bit Pup (LxPupSc-18.06+5) and although I can drag the columns to where I'd like them to be in the 'Details' window, the set-up won't persist.

The next Rox I open has the original poor column lay-out, with the useful-for-me 'Modified' and 'Size' columns stuck out to the right edge and the useless-to-me 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns in the middle and in the way.

Is there a way to fix the Rox details default to be as the user likes?

Thanks for your time and trouble,

David S.

peebee

Re: 64-bit Rox and column positioning

#48 Post by peebee »

davids45 wrote:I have tried your latest 64-bit version in a 64-bit Pup (LxPupSc-18.06+5)
LxPupSc64 is still the old version - not this new version.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

woodenshoe-wi

Re: 64-bit Rox and column positioning

#49 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

davids45 wrote: and the useless-to-me 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns in the middle and in the way.
Can't you go to "Options..."->"List View" and un-tick the check boxes for the 'Permissions' and 'Owner' columns?

I think jun7 may have added the feature you are requesting and has recently merged the copy/paste functionality.

woodenshoe-wi

#50 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version:
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1i69k73pb5n1 ... 2.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyqk32xg11ti4 ... 4.pet?dl=1

@torm these have your suggested fix, https://github.com/woodenshoe-wi/rox-fi ... f1c5dc4d30

They also have an updated manual and a cosmetic fix to list view mode.