Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Nov 2017, 08:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
XenialPup64 With XFCE-4.12
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017, 08:44    Post subject:  

Hi Battleshooter,

Hey, is it possible I could make an appeal to you here about this:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=972331#972331

I want to completely dump all the Xenial64 stuff because Phil is simply not supporting and hasn't been for many months now.

And I am stuck of getting the fixes for the wpa2 KRACK (that Ubuntu's been pushing out for over 8 days now).

Is there any chance you could have a look, see if you could to see if your skills could give us a fix? I provided a link on that msg thread (that I wrote to Phil).

It would be greatly appreciated. As things stand, for pups only (ddogs have the update/upgrade licked long ago), you are the only one keeping anything going with respect to true 64-bit and Xenial.

If we lose Xenial, and Peebe doesn't want to do true 64-bit, then the only options we'll have are Barry's EasyLinux and Slacko700 and going back to Ddogs.

Thank you for any consideration Wink
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017, 10:26    Post subject:  

belham2 wrote:
Hi Battleshooter,

I want to completely dump all the Xenial64 stuff because Phil is simply not supporting and hasn't been for many months now.

And I am stuck of getting the fixes for the wpa2 KRACK (that Ubuntu's been pushing out for over 8 days now).

Is there any chance you could have a look, see if you could to see if your skills could give us a fix? I provided a link on that msg thread (that I wrote to Phil).

It would be greatly appreciated. As things stand, for pups only (ddogs have the update/upgrade licked long ago), you are the only one keeping anything going with respect to true 64-bit and Xenial.

If we lose Xenial, and Peebe doesn't want to do true 64-bit, then the only options we'll have are Barry's EasyLinux and Slacko700 and going back to Ddogs.

Wonder if you tried this?
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/xenial/main/updates/wpasupplicant

Click on orange "Download "wpasupplicant" 64-bit deb package"

Maybe

Pete22

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017, 22:23    Post subject: Trying to download this Pup  

Hello Battleshooter,

I am very excited to try your new pup. I downloaded all the other files.
However, I can't get the iso. I have tried several times over the last few days.

Would you please check the download for me?

Pete.
battleshooter

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017, 23:39    Post subject:  

@Pete22 Ahh yes, I'm seeing that. I started a Sourceforge account so hopefully that will solve my filehosting issues finally. Uploading right now, will have the link soon.

@Belham Hah, thank you for your kind words Belham. I'm surprised it works with other Pups, not surprised it doesn't work with Slacko. Phil has an convenient sym link with lib and lib64 so once doesn't have to use --libdir=/usr/lib64, but consequently pets made on a Phil system won't work on a Slacko system due to the difference in directories.

It looks like we're in luck regarding Xenial development since Phil is back...woohoo! Very Happy

I'll start working on a new iso based on the new Xenial right away Cool

ally

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017, 00:37    Post subject:  

they're mirrored here:

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Xenialpup64

Smile
belham2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017, 05:23    Post subject:  

perdido wrote:
belham2 wrote:
Hi Battleshooter,

Wonder if you tried this?
https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/package/core/xenial/main/updates/wpasupplicant

Click on orange "Download "wpasupplicant" 64-bit deb package"

Maybe

Perdido,

Thanks for the link. Wink I went ahead and download what Ubuntu they had there, and just uextracted it all and patiently (mind-numbingly, lol) manually installed every bit of it. It seemed to go ok, at least I hope so (impossible to tell with Ubuntu's maddening naming schemes for all updates and/or security fixes). Thanks again.
Moat

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 01:37    Post subject:  

Beautiful, Battleshooter! Cool Just playing around running without a savefile (mostly with the new Firefox, which I'm finding to be blistering fast) - so far, things looking great, & incredibly responsive on this old desktop. WiFi, sound, video resolution all good.

One issue - wondering if anybody else is finding the PPM not updating? Click the "Update now" button, and the "configure" window immediately disappears and reappears, ready to be selected again - and no other apparent background download activity.

Otherwise - danged nice! I'm typically not a fan of flat icon themes, but this default set is nice enough I actually think I could live with it... Smile

Bob

(edit to add;) Yes, some weirdness with menu entries - installed items in usr/share/applications/ either not displaying in their respective categories, or not displaying at all (even the pre-installed Firefox did not show for me in the default menu without some .desktop tweaks). And no shutdown GUI (although shutdown-gui is installed and functional). A regression/deprecation in the XDG standards or something, I'd bet... Confused

Code:
root# inxi -F
System:    Host: puppypc18600 Kernel: 4.13.3 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.4 Distro: xenialpup64 7.0.8.5
Machine:   System: Dell product: OptiPlex 380 serial: 62B2LN1
           Mobo: Dell model: 0HN7XN v: A01 serial: ..CN1374007U08KF.
           Bios: Dell v: A01 date: 03/11/2010
CPU:       Dual core Pentium E5400 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2693 MHz 2: 2693 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller
           Display Server: X.org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio:     Card Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.3
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f0:4d:a2:24:1c:26
           Card-2: NetGear WNA1100 Wireless-N 150 [Atheros AR9271]
           driver: ath9k_htc
           IF: wlan0 state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: NA (-)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HDS72101 size: 160.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: STORAGE_DEVICE size: 7.9GB
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 2:28 Memory: 537.9/3851.7MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
root#
Terry H

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 16:17    Post subject: No sound Firefox 57.0b10  

I was checking out whether Netflix works in the installed Firefox 57.0b10, I discovered that I can't get sound in Firefox. I also checked Youtube. I checked that there isn't a mute in the player window controls. I had just adjusted the alsa mixer to increase volume just prior, the panel control is on full volume. Any idea how I can get sound working?

Sound is working OK using Vivaldi.

Edit: This is using my laptop Dell Latitude 3350 Core i3-5005U. Haven't loaded this release to desktop with AMD FX6100 yet, so not sure if sound will work there yet.

Last edited by Terry H on Sat 28 Oct 2017, 16:42; edited 1 time in total
belham2

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 16:37    Post subject: Re: No sound Firefox 57.0b10  

Terry H wrote:
I was checking out whether Netflix works in the installed Firefox 57.0b10, I discovered that I can't get sound in Firefox. I also checked Youtube. I checked that there isn't a mute in the player window controls. I had just adjusted the alsa mixer to increase volume just prior, the panel control is on full volume. Any idea how I can get sound working?

Hi Terry!

Just saw your post as I was about to log off (am having problems with phil's latest 7.0.8.6).

Hey as I am typing this, I am watching Netflix right now (the new StarTrek) in Battleshooter's Xenial64-XFCE. But I am watching it using the latest Chrome (just released today, 62.0.3202.75, I think). Everything works great, sound too.

Doing it in latest 64-bit Firefox, the pic quality was worse, plus I also had to fiddle getting the sound to work correctly, so I gave up and went back into the arms of the monster-of-malice Google herself.

Hope you get it working! Wink
Terry H

PostPosted: Sat 28 Oct 2017, 16:47    Post subject: Re: No sound Firefox 57.0b10  

belham2 wrote:
Terry H wrote:

Hi Terry!

Just saw your post as I was about to log off (am having problems with phil's latest 7.0.8.6).

Hey as I am typing this, I am watching Netflix right now (the new StarTrek) in Battleshooter's Xenial64-XFCE. But I am watching it using the latest Chrome (just released today, 62.0.3202.75, I think). Everything works great, sound too.

Doing it in latest 64-bit Firefox, the pic quality was worse, plus I also had to fiddle getting the sound to work correctly, so I gave up and went back into the arms of the monster-of-malice Google herself.

Hope you get it working! Wink

This version of firefox looks really slick, picture quality of netflix was fine, just no sound. I have been using vivaldi for the last couple of days. I createded an sfs of the latest current release 1.12. Updated widevine and its working really well.
p310don

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 03:29    Post subject:  

Netflix was the first thing I checked, worked fine after enabling DRM in firefox (which was automatic).
rg66

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017, 05:39    Post subject:  

battleshooter and anyone else using Xfce (with gvfs), while playing around with slacko-6.9.9.9 I've discovered that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache should have a gvfs entry. According to the slackware install script, the commands
Code:
/usr/bin/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules
and
Code:
/usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
should be run after installing gvfs. I would think that /usr/lib/gio/modules/giomodule.cache and /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled should be added to the build after running hose commands. My partitions seem to mount faster afterwards but I could be hallucinating. Wink
p310don

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 21:15    Post subject:  

Not sure what I've done to make this not work (if it was me).

I have no drive icons on the desktop. I would especially like to have USB drives show up when plugged in.

I have tried right clicking on the desktop, going to "desktop settings" and ticking the removable items box under icons. That doesn't seem to achieve anything.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 21:30    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
Not sure what I've done to make this not work (if it was me).

I have no drive icons on the desktop. I would especially like to have USB drives show up when plugged in.

I have tried right clicking on the desktop, going to "desktop settings" and ticking the removable items box under icons. That doesn't seem to achieve anything.

Drive icons only show for me when I select Other Devices in desktop settings Removable Devices drop down menu
otherdevices.png
 Description   
 Filesize   40.05 KB
 Viewed   67 Time(s)

otherdevices.png

p310don

PostPosted: Wed 08 Nov 2017, 21:36    Post subject:  

Nevermind. I ticked the "other devices" box and they ALL show up. ALL in capitals because I also get some random folders; pts, floppy, proc & sys also now show up on the desktop.

Can I get rid of those somehow?
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: